• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Lets talk about the trenches

Everyone is so up and arms about "building the trenches"
    While I surely agree that some attention is needed there I think it is a bit overstated.

Offensive Line:
    We are set at RT through LG. We are set with backups as well.
    We need a LT so that is saying one pick should be used to address LT. There are many good LTs still on the board.

Defensive Line:
    We need a NT(although they seem pretty high on williams)
    We also could use another rotational DE.

So IMO this Building the trenches thing is a bit over stated....
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Lets talk about the trenches

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
    Everyone is so up and arms about "building the trenches"
    While I surely agree that some attention is needed there I think it is a bit overstated.

Offensive Line:
    We are set at RT through LG. We are set with backups as well.
    We need a LT so that is saying one pick should be used to address LT. There are many good LTs still on the board.

Defensive Line:
    We need a NT(although they seem pretty high on williams)
    We also could use another rotational DE.

We can improve on the OL at C/G and T. Woods might not be back to 100% till mid season, and our depth isn't that wonderful. Also Hangartner is replaceable IMO. DOn't think we need ot pursue interior OL but we're not "set" IMO

All I know is what I witenessed last year, and IMO we're no different this year.... WE NEED HELP !!!

and if you think building the trenches is overstated... I guarentee you will not feel that way in 2010 if we do not make an upgrade

Both NT and DE are desperate needs too.
    Last edited by ddaryl; 04-23-2010, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

I think there is so much O-Line depth in this draft that waiting might not have been a bad move. Although if we got Bulaga I would've been pumped. But obviously he wouldve been a bit of a reach at 9.

If McCoy is gone at 41 they will address one of the two lines.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

Are we set at back-ups on the offensive line? Who are the back-up interior linemen?

Nose tackle is a pretty big need still.

Also, while less talked about, OLB seems like a critical need if Schobel retires. Without Schobel the team has no proven pass rushers, and very few players with pass rush potential.

If Brown and Saffold are gone when their round 2 pick comes up I could very easily see someone like Kindle (if still available) be a serious candidate for that pick.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
          We can improve on the OL at C/G and T. Woods might not be back to 100% till mid season, and our depth isn't that wonderful. Also Hangartner is replaceable IMO. DOn't think we need ot pursue interior OL but we're not "set" IMO

All I know is what I witenessed last year, and IMO we're no different this year.... WE NEED HELP !!!

and if you think building the trenches is overstated... I guarentee you will not feel that way in 2010 if we do not make an upgrade

The interior is set enough to not need to over draft there is what I am saying.

I don't think that building the trenches is not important just feel that it isn't as far gone as some would make it seem. People are acting like we must draft 10 linemen this year....

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EDS
            Are we set at back-ups on the offensive line? Who are the back-up interior linemen?

Nose tackle is a pretty big need still.

Also, while less talked about, OLB seems like a critical need if Schobel retires. Without Schobel the team has no proven pass rushers, and very few players with pass rush potential.

If Brown and Saffold are gone when their round 2 pick comes up I could very easily see someone like Kindle (if still available) be a serious candidate for that pick.
            Meredith or Bell can easily be moved inside in a pinch.

I said NT is a big need didn't you read my post?

OLB is not the Trenches so start another thread if you want.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
              • Aug 2005

We have no depth at interior line and if you are happy with our tackle depth you must have been watching a different team than the one I watched last season.

If Brown or Saffold is available they should probably take one of them and if not I would go NT.
              SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

DE is not desperate. NT is a HUGE need but the good thing is that this draft is deep and possibly the best NT in the draft is still available (Cody).

Linval Joseph, Cam Thomas, Torrell Troup are all still there and still a few sleepers later on. I am not worried at all about NT.

As for OL, there are still options available that upgrade our OL. Vladimir Ducasse could be our selection at 41. He is a run blocking LT, 6'5 330 and mean.

Ducasse - Levitre - Hang - Wood - Green is a solid line.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

The interior is set enough to not need to over draft there is what I am saying.

I don't think that building the trenches is not important just feel that it isn't as far gone as some would make it seem. People are acting like we must draft 10 linemen this year....
                  I agreed the interior did not need to be pursued, but we can and it wouldn't be a bad move.

I don't know anyone who thought we needed anything more then a OT myself.... but I know many who wouldn't complain about picking up a pair of OL...

I'm really worried about our season right now. I can't handle another year of OL play like last year.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBillsStampede
                    We have no depth at interior line and if you are happy with our tackle depth you must have been watching a different team than the one I watched last season.

If Brown or Saffold is available they should probably take one of them and if not I would go NT.
                    Like I said Meridith and Bell can be moved inside in a pinch and I am sure they can get another Mcmicheal type as a FA if needed.

Take a look at Meridith's play and stats last year. I think I was the one watching closely. As a back up I am more than happy. Don't know of many teams with pro bowl Backup Tackles.

I agree with your final statement.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

I agreed the interior did not need to be pursued, but we can and it wouldn't be a bad move.

I don't know anyone who thought we needed anything more then a OT myself.... but I know many who wouldn't complain about picking up a pair of OL...

I'm really worried about our season right now. I can't handle another year of OL play like last year.
                      agreed.

Why grab 2 OTs when you have Bell and Meridith to develop. Both of whom showed some signs of talent?

I am worried about our season as well. Here's to hoping the line is shored up today!

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

good post thurm.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Hell no.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

So we need a LT, probably 2 NT's and a rotational DE..right ?

That kind of screams "HELP WANTED IN THE TRENCHES"
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • May 2009

terrence cody at #42 will make me happy

Comment

Working...
                              X