PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about the trenches

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Everyone is so up and arms about "building the trenches"
While I surely agree that some attention is needed there I think it is a bit overstated.

Offensive Line:
We are set at RT through LG. We are set with backups as well.
We need a LT so that is saying one pick should be used to address LT. There are many good LTs still on the board.

Defensive Line:
We need a NT(although they seem pretty high on williams)
We also could use another rotational DE.

So IMO this Building the trenches thing is a bit over stated....

ddaryl
04-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Everyone is so up and arms about "building the trenches"
While I surely agree that some attention is needed there I think it is a bit overstated.

Offensive Line:
We are set at RT through LG. We are set with backups as well.
We need a LT so that is saying one pick should be used to address LT. There are many good LTs still on the board.

Defensive Line:
We need a NT(although they seem pretty high on williams)
We also could use another rotational DE.

We can improve on the OL at C/G and T. Woods might not be back to 100% till mid season, and our depth isn't that wonderful. Also Hangartner is replaceable IMO. DOn't think we need ot pursue interior OL but we're not "set" IMO

All I know is what I witenessed last year, and IMO we're no different this year.... WE NEED HELP !!!

and if you think building the trenches is overstated... I guarentee you will not feel that way in 2010 if we do not make an upgrade

Both NT and DE are desperate needs too.

The King
04-23-2010, 08:56 AM
I think there is so much O-Line depth in this draft that waiting might not have been a bad move. Although if we got Bulaga I would've been pumped. But obviously he wouldve been a bit of a reach at 9.

If McCoy is gone at 41 they will address one of the two lines.

EDS
04-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Are we set at back-ups on the offensive line? Who are the back-up interior linemen?

Nose tackle is a pretty big need still.

Also, while less talked about, OLB seems like a critical need if Schobel retires. Without Schobel the team has no proven pass rushers, and very few players with pass rush potential.

If Brown and Saffold are gone when their round 2 pick comes up I could very easily see someone like Kindle (if still available) be a serious candidate for that pick.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 08:58 AM
We can improve on the OL at C/G and T. Woods might not be back to 100% till mid season, and our depth isn't that wonderful. Also Hangartner is replaceable IMO. DOn't think we need ot pursue interior OL but we're not "set" IMO

All I know is what I witenessed last year, and IMO we're no different this year.... WE NEED HELP !!!

and if you think building the trenches is overstated... I guarentee you will not feel that way in 2010 if we do not make an upgrade

The interior is set enough to not need to over draft there is what I am saying.

I don't think that building the trenches is not important just feel that it isn't as far gone as some would make it seem. People are acting like we must draft 10 linemen this year....

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Are we set at back-ups on the offensive line? Who are the back-up interior linemen?

Nose tackle is a pretty big need still.

Also, while less talked about, OLB seems like a critical need if Schobel retires. Without Schobel the team has no proven pass rushers, and very few players with pass rush potential.

If Brown and Saffold are gone when their round 2 pick comes up I could very easily see someone like Kindle (if still available) be a serious candidate for that pick.
Meredith or Bell can easily be moved inside in a pinch.

I said NT is a big need didn't you read my post?

OLB is not the Trenches so start another thread if you want.

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-23-2010, 09:00 AM
We have no depth at interior line and if you are happy with our tackle depth you must have been watching a different team than the one I watched last season.

If Brown or Saffold is available they should probably take one of them and if not I would go NT.

Mahdi
04-23-2010, 09:00 AM

DE is not desperate. NT is a HUGE need but the good thing is that this draft is deep and possibly the best NT in the draft is still available (Cody).

Linval Joseph, Cam Thomas, Torrell Troup are all still there and still a few sleepers later on. I am not worried at all about NT.

As for OL, there are still options available that upgrade our OL. Vladimir Ducasse could be our selection at 41. He is a run blocking LT, 6'5 330 and mean.

Ducasse - Levitre - Hang - Wood - Green is a solid line.

ddaryl
04-23-2010, 09:02 AM
The interior is set enough to not need to over draft there is what I am saying.

I don't think that building the trenches is not important just feel that it isn't as far gone as some would make it seem. People are acting like we must draft 10 linemen this year....

I agreed the interior did not need to be pursued, but we can and it wouldn't be a bad move.

I don't know anyone who thought we needed anything more then a OT myself.... but I know many who wouldn't complain about picking up a pair of OL...

I'm really worried about our season right now. I can't handle another year of OL play like last year.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 09:09 AM
We have no depth at interior line and if you are happy with our tackle depth you must have been watching a different team than the one I watched last season.

If Brown or Saffold is available they should probably take one of them and if not I would go NT.
Like I said Meridith and Bell can be moved inside in a pinch and I am sure they can get another Mcmicheal type as a FA if needed.

Take a look at Meridith's play and stats last year. I think I was the one watching closely. As a back up I am more than happy. Don't know of many teams with pro bowl Backup Tackles.

I agree with your final statement.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I agreed the interior did not need to be pursued, but we can and it wouldn't be a bad move.

I don't know anyone who thought we needed anything more then a OT myself.... but I know many who wouldn't complain about picking up a pair of OL...

I'm really worried about our season right now. I can't handle another year of OL play like last year.
agreed.

Why grab 2 OTs when you have Bell and Meridith to develop. Both of whom showed some signs of talent?

I am worried about our season as well. Here's to hoping the line is shored up today! :beer:

Tatonka
04-23-2010, 09:22 AM
good post thurm.

justasportsfan
04-23-2010, 09:38 AM

Hell no.

Night Train
04-23-2010, 09:41 AM
So we need a LT, probably 2 NT's and a rotational DE..right ?

That kind of screams "HELP WANTED IN THE TRENCHES"

BertSquirtgum
04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
terrence cody at #42 will make me happy

baalworship
04-23-2010, 09:47 AM
I thought Meredith showed flashes last year and has a chance at making an impact. Even as bad as Bell was our O-line was way better when he was in there.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Hell no.
The concept isn't over stated just the perception that it has been totally neglected.

Last year we signed a competant(yes he could be upgraded but still decent) center, drafted a guard in the first round, Drafted a guard in the second round.
They all developed together and barring a setback from Wood should be ready to roll this season. They were also able to give young guys like Meridith and Bell valuable experience they can build on.

This Season we signed a veteran RT (Green) he is nothing special but will be useful.

On the other side of the ball we signed a DE (Edwards). We have Stroud, Edwards, Johnson, and Mcgargo to rotate in and out at DE.

At Nose we have Williams. I know he isn't ideal for that position and I have big time reservations but he is a good football player and will work his ass off. I would love another Nose guard to be drafted in the next couple rounds to rotate in.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 09:48 AM
terrence cody at #42 will make me happy
Me too

Night Train
04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
At Nose we have Williams. I know he isn't ideal for that position and I have big time reservations but he is a good football player and will work his ass off. I would love another Nose guard to be drafted in the next couple rounds to rotate in.

RIP High Motor players. He's a backup.

The Bills need to quit settling and get front line talent everywhere.

Spiller is a start.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
So we need a LT, probably 2 NT's and a rotational DE..right ?

That kind of screams "HELP WANTED IN THE TRENCHES"
I think 1 NT would Suffice.

It does but look at that statement. 2 positions are needed more than the others. That is 2 picks, 2 players. Easily taken care of in the next couple rounds.

They way people are acting by not doing it in round one all hope is lost.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 09:51 AM
RIP High Motor players. He's a backup.

The Bills need to quit settling and get front line talent everywhere.

Spiller is a start.
I actually agree with you here. I am almost thinking NT is more of a need than LT for our next pick.

OpIv37
04-23-2010, 09:57 AM
I actually agree with you here. I am almost thinking NT is more of a need than LT for our next pick.

NT is by far the biggest need right now.

Even though Bell completely sucks, at least he's a body that we can stick in there.

There is currently no one on the roster who can play NT.

methos4ever
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM

Even though Bell completely sucks, at least he's a body that we can stick in there.

If they get Mt. Cody, that's 2 downs a team can't run on us. I'd like that head start.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 09:59 AM

Agreed. I almost think Meridith would be better at LT then Bell.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 09:59 AM
If they get Mt. Cody, that's 2 downs a team can't run on us. I'd like that head start.
Perfect then sub in Williams on passing downs.

OpIv37
04-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Cody would be huge for us, both literally and figuratively.

methos4ever
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Perfect then sub in Williams on passing downs.
Or on Passing Downs make him a DE to take up the Tackle / TE or T/G and free a path up for either Maybin or the other OLB (if not Schobel). You'll scheme at least 6 sacks for Maybin just via him having nothing but air between him and QB.

Mahdi
04-23-2010, 10:17 AM

There is actually a player on the roster. Lonnie Harvey is the prototype NT at 6'3 340. We don't know if he is starter material or not but he certainly has the measurables and the skills to play the position.

At this point Harvey is on par with any NT we draft who's ability to start for us right away will also be questionable. Terrance Cody is the exception to that because of his experience playing 3-4 and his abilities.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 10:23 AM
There is actually a player on the roster. Lonnie Harvey is the prototype NT at 6'3 340. We don't know if he is starter material or not but he certainly has the measurables and the skills to play the position.

At this point Harvey is on par with any NT we draft who's ability to start for us right away will also be questionable. Terrance Cody is the exception to that because of his experience playing 3-4 and his abilities.
Where did we get Harvey from? UDFA???

psubills62
04-23-2010, 10:25 AM
I think there is so much O-Line depth in this draft that waiting might not have been a bad move. Although if we got Bulaga I would've been pumped. But obviously he wouldve been a bit of a reach at 9.

If McCoy is gone at 41 they will address one of the two lines.

I agree. There's a lot of OT's in these later rounds that we could go with.

I would not be surprised to see the Bills draft three OL and two DL in rounds 3-7. Two OT's, one OG, an NT, and a DE.

TacklingDummy
04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
My sources tell me the Bills will going o-line with their next pick.

DraftBoy
04-23-2010, 11:12 AM
In my mock and something I told T-Long a few days ago that if this guy is there with the Bills 2nd he is the pick. If Charles Brown is there he makes sense as the pick, imo. You get an athletic LT to go along with your energetic new back. In Round 3 you address the DL, I went with LSU NT Al Woods as our pick.

I think its impossible to understate how much help we need in the trenches right now, and not just with starters.