PDA

View Full Version : The Big Need is at NT

ghz in pittsburgh
04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I agree with Chris Brown that the Bills tried to move to 1st round yesterday to get Dan Williams.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

QB? Outside of Bradford, the fact that only Tebow was drafted in the late 20s and everyone else goes to the 2nd round or later suggest maybe none is viewed as franchise guys out there. OT? Yes Bills need them, but at least we have young guys that are supposed to getting better from last year. OLB? on paper, we have starters already - Maybein, Schobel, the guy from Denver etc. But NT of 3-4? We have Kyle Williams and nobody else. Even Kyle is not a good fit there. I stayed up last night watching Dan Williams specifically - I know he's not going to pass the 3 AFC rivals and I thought the Bills might make a move there.

Watching Nix's interview, I sense that he just might be the one holding the line on trading up. Remember Marv Levy being talked into jumping up to get McCargo? I'd imagine the same people were there pushing Nix to do the same yesterday but Nix at least was smart enough to realize that picks, especially early to middle rounds, are crucial to Bills rebuilding at this stage, not just one player.

With Dan Williams gone, I had to believe they want to come out of this draft with some candidates at NT (may not be round 2).

Finally my thoughts on Spiller. I feel this might be the quickest way to make the team exciting and racking up wins. An OT/NT should be the overall strategy but you just cannot pass a telant like Spiller. At this point, the strength of the offense of this team is in the middle on the ground: the interior O-linemen and the RBs. There are very few guys as RBs can do what Johnson/Peterson do - making things happen by themselves. If (that's a big if where Nix and Modrak put their reputation on the line) Spiller is of that caliber, then the Bills offense at least has a base, a realistic threat, to score points when they are on the field. Getting an OT or a QB does not provide this kind of potential anywhere close.

I just talked about running. Now if we can stop the run, then we somehow resemble an NFL team. Going 3-4 helps because 3-4 is always known as a scheme to stop the run. But you need the right pieces to make it work. And NT is probably the biggest piece there.

User Manuel
04-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Terrance Cody... the man can play.

HAMMER
04-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Terrance Cody... the man can play.

We need to sit still and take BPA again, hopefully it's Cody.

Bill Cody
04-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Terrance Cody makes me nervous. He is a player no doubt about that but he's a biscuit away from eating himself right out of the league and he's not even 22 yet. If we fail to land a QB in the 2nd I'd be looking OT and then maybe a Cam Thomas in rd 3.

feldspar
04-23-2010, 01:19 PM
We tried to trade up back into the first. I wonder if it was for Dan Williams or Bryan Bulaga. It wasn't for Tebow. We weren't able to do that. Those guys fell to #23 and #26, I think. A lot of people had the Bills picking these guys at #9...them and Clausen, who hasn't even been drafted yet.

I wouldn't mind seeing Saffold or Cody in the second. Probably have to move up to get Saffold, I would say. Could be wrong.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-23-2010, 01:27 PM
If they really thought that highly of Dan Williams they would've gotten him at 9. In fact, several mocks I saw had him at 9. I only saw one or two with Spiller there.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-23-2010, 01:30 PM
The thing about the NTs is that there are 4-5 possible prospects there for drafting and they are all around the same. There aren't that many teams in need of that 3-4 NT. That is why Dan Williams fell so far.

PECKERWOOD
04-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Bruce Campbell!

Yasgur's Farm
04-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Bruce Campbell!Good choice...

...If both Clausen and McCoy are gone.

PECKERWOOD
04-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Good choice...

...If both Clausen and McCoy are gone.

2nd.) Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland