PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on first round OT

psubills62
04-23-2010, 12:44 PM
I was a big fan of Bulaga and wanted him at #9. I'm happy with Spiller, but wanted Bulaga.

I think the true damnation of Bulaga for me wasn't necessarily how far he fell. It came when San Francisco traded up two spots to get Anthony Davis.

Think about it: San Francisco traded with Denver and jumped Miami to get a guy who they want to play RT. No matter what your thoughts on Bulaga were at LT, it was pretty well agreed that he would be a great RT.

Now what does that say about Bulaga? San Fran trades with Denver (who has their OL decently set), and jumps Miami (who needs a LG, but not nearly as much as they need defensive help) just to take Davis?

The odds are pretty high that one of Bulaga or Davis would have been there at 13, easily. Obviously both Miami and Denver were willing to trade down, so it's possible teams were going to trade up to get one of them.

The way San Fran traded up to get Davis when it was practically guaranteed that Davis or Bulaga would be there at 13 makes me think that Bulaga wasn't as highly rated as I thought he would be.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, what say you?

Philagape
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
I would have loved Bulaga too, but I defer to NFL personnel, who obviously didn't value him as much as mock-draft geeks.

49ers certainly went for tangibles over intangibles, which often isn't the right way to go. Bulaga's a gamer, and Davis needs to get his head out his arse. The Niners have work to do.

Mahdi
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
I always thought Bulaga was a 15-20 pick not top 10. He has some desirable skills but does not have top 10 grades.

That being said I think he landed in the perfect spot to the perfect team for him.

psubills62
04-23-2010, 12:56 PM
I always thought Bulaga was a 15-20 pick not top 10. He has some desirable skills but does not have top 10 grades.

That being said I think he landed in the perfect spot to the perfect team for him.

Agreed. If he was to land with another team, I'm glad it was the Packers. They are my wife's favorite team, so I can still root for him (except against the Bills).

Bill Cody
04-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Bulaga missed some time last year and when he came back he had a couple bad games. I was for him at 9 but I have to admit I was wavering before the draft. It could be he may be a better fit for RT (shorter arms, better run than pass blocker, good not great wingspan) and if so he wasn't a top ten pick.

Davis? I never wanted him and I doubt SF needed to move up to get him. I am always wary of fat lazy players.

LtFinFan66
04-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I was a big fan of Bulaga and wanted him at #9. I'm happy with Spiller, but wanted Bulaga.

I think the true damnation of Bulaga for me wasn't necessarily how far he fell. It came when San Francisco traded up two spots to get Anthony Davis.

Think about it: San Francisco traded with Denver and jumped Miami to get a guy who they want to play RT. No matter what your thoughts on Bulaga were at LT, it was pretty well agreed that he would be a great RT.

Now what does that say about Bulaga? San Fran trades with Denver (who has their OL decently set), and jumps Miami (who needs a LG, but not nearly as much as they need defensive help) just to take Davis?

The odds are pretty high that one of Bulaga or Davis would have been there at 13, easily. Obviously both Miami and Denver were willing to trade down, so it's possible teams were going to trade up to get one of them.

The way San Fran traded up to get Davis when it was practically guaranteed that Davis or Bulaga would be there at 13 makes me think that Bulaga wasn't as highly rated as I thought he would be.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, what say you?as a Penn State fan, what do you think of Odrick? I don't know much about him

psubills62
04-23-2010, 02:17 PM
as a Penn State fan, what do you think of Odrick? I don't know much about him

I personally love Odrick. And considering all the great DE's and LB's in the Big Ten, I think it says a lot about him that the coaches voted him Big Ten Defensive player of the year.

There are some times when he's a bit disappointing (mostly the Iowa game, he just disappeared), but he was the dominant guy on our defensive line. He uses his hands very well, especially when rushing the passer. I've seen him just place a hand on an OG's helmet, diagnose the play, shove the OG aside and go after the QB.

I'm always disappointed to see PSU players go to division rivals, especially hard-working guys like Odrick.

I'd say he's best when penetrating. Could use a little more strength to hold up against the double-teams, but he's a real blue-collar tough guy who seems to love working in the trenches.