• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Spiller Is Exceptional, Unlike Fred Jackson

Saying he's a luxury pick because we already have Jackson is like saying I'm no different than Brad Pitt, since I'm male and have blond hair.

Jackson is a good back but scares no one. This guy is frightening and may instantly be our best player.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Spiller Is Exceptional, Unlike Fred Jackson

Jackson is good, but I think too many people see all RB's as being equal. The fact is that there are guys at RB who have significantly more talent than others. I just saw someone compare Jackson/Spiller to Williams/Stewart in Carolina. I like Jackson, but he does not have the talent that Williams and Stewart have.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

the guy can catch deep too.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        the guy can catch deep too.
        Exactly...he can be used as a receiver. I'd love to see Spiller and Jackson on the field at the same time for numerous plays in each game. Especially 3rd downs.
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Luisito23
          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
          • Apr 2003

"I don't want a franchise, home-run threat, I rather reach for a tackle just to fill a need"...
          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Lexwhat
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MooMhKt-wKw

Saying he's a luxury pick because we already have Jackson is like saying I'm no different than Brad Pitt, since I'm male and have blond hair.

Jackson is a good back but scares no one. This guy is frightening and may instantly be our best player.
            Are you implying something about Fred Jackson not being Black enough? Black enough like Spiller?

:snicker2:

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

I think you are right. Exceptional backs can change a team. Look how much Adrian Petersen improved Minnesota, or Chris Brown with Tennessee? We do have lots of holes, so I understand people complaining, but imagine getting a superb rb that we can have for years and years. I was against this pick before the draft, but the more I think about it, the more I see that he was the BPA and that the Bills did the right thing in getting him.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                Will not tolerate vandalism.
                • Apr 2006

Let's see him catch that ball when his quarterback's getting sacked every other down.

Comment

• Billz_fan
                  • Jan 2003

Well Im still not sold. Yes we have many more needs than a 1st round RB. I wanted either Dan Williams or Bulaga with our 9 pick.

I keep seeing people here saying how we are now going to have a game changing running back for years to come. The average career for an NFL running back is what ? It's like 3 years or less.

So if he falls in line with the numbers we won't even be done rebuilding when he starts declining or lost his knees altogether.

Now everyone has a chance of injury etc at any position, however running backs have the got to have the shortest career numbers no ?
                  The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Luisito23
                    "I don't want a franchise, home-run threat, I rather reach for a tackle just to fill a need"...
                    "I'd rather improve RB by 25% than improve LT by 70-80%"...

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Saying Spiller is a luxury pick has nothing to do with whether or not he's better than Jackson. It has to do with the fact that this team has way bigger needs than RB.

Like I said earlier in another thread: Drafting an RB now is like cleaning up a car wreck by sweeping the glass off the road before trying to get the injured people out of the vehicle.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                        Let's see him catch that ball when his quarterback's getting sacked every other down.
                        I'd rate that 4 Op's in terms of exaggeration of how bad this team is.
                        Last edited by psubills62; 04-23-2010, 01:32 PM.
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                          Will not tolerate vandalism.
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Billz_fan
                          Well Im still not sold. Yes we have many more needs than a 1st round RB. I wanted either Dan Williams or Bulaga with our 9 pick.

I keep seeing people here saying how we are now going to have a game changing running back for years to come. The average career for an NFL running back is what ? It's like 3 years or less.

So if he falls in line with the numbers we won't even be done rebuilding when he starts declining or lost his knees altogether.

Now everyone has a chance of injury etc at any position, however running backs have the got to have the shortest career numbers no ?
                          Exactly! Linemen have much longer careers and are worth far more in the long run than a running back. This league chews up and spits out running backs far more quickly than any other position. That's why it's almost NEVER worth a first-round pick on a running back. First-rounders demand long term guaranteed money, something that most aren't worth.

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Billz_fan

3 years? I thought good RB's were done when they're 30. That would be a lot more than 3 years. Having Jackson around should also save him a lot of wear and tear.

I was one of the people who really wanted Bulaga at #9. But a lot of people just don't seem to want to admit that this draft is fairly deep at OT. Considering only 4 OT's went off the board in the 1st, we're in quite good shape to get one in the 2nd round also.
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Billz_fan
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by psubills62
                              3 years? I thought good RB's were done when they're 30. That would be a lot more than 3 years. Having Jackson around should also save him a lot of wear and tear.

I was one of the people who really wanted Bulaga at #9. But a lot of people just don't seem to want to admit that this draft is fairly deep at OT. Considering only 4 OT's went off the board in the 1st, we're in quite good shape to get one in the 2nd round also.

I saw the number of 2.6 years for an average NFL running back alot when looking around. I found this little article interesting. 3 out of every 5 RB's are out of the league in 4 years and thats from the NFLPA. That folks is why you don't take RB's in the 1st round of the draft. Just think how much money this pick is going to command for such a short term return.

The average career of an NFL back is 2.6 years and falling, according to the National Football League Players' Association. Players, coaches and historians interviewed by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review blamed the mayfly careers of rushers on the brutally high number of carries they get in an age of free agency.

Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, teams rarely asked their backs to touch the ball more than 230 times in a season.

Historically, every time a player gets more than that many touches in a season, his production declines the following year by 50 fewer carries and 1.2 fewer games. Nearly three out of every five of these backs are out of the league within four years.
                              Last edited by Billz_fan; 04-23-2010, 01:52 PM.
                              The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

Working...
                              X