PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why Ruff should be let go after the season

chernobylwraiths
04-23-2010, 07:41 PM
If the Sabres lose to the Bruins. I think Regier definitely should go.

Three playoffs in the last 8 years.

Team captain fiasco.

Can utilize backup goalies.

Players don't seem to want to play hard for him.

Constant whining about referees, injuries, etc, instead of blaming the people who aren't playing well enough.

I like Lindy and think he is a decent coach, but this team isn't playing well and something needs to be done. Obviously, if they got rid of Regier, I would be happy and maybe give Lindy the GM duties, but if he actually likes guys like Roy, Stafford, Pomminville and their play, then I don't want him there either.

chernobylwraiths
04-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I started this thread about 5 hours ago, but never submitted it and walked away from my computer.

Nighthawk
04-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Ruff has not been good this playoff and I agree with most of the reasons that you highlighted.

BertSquirtgum
04-23-2010, 08:35 PM
do you still feel that way?

chernobylwraiths
04-23-2010, 08:36 PM
do you still feel that way?

absolutely

elltrain22
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I very much disagree w/ you (respectfully). I love Lindy, and hope he stays for many years to come.

trapezeus
04-23-2010, 11:42 PM
sabres proved that if miller is perfect and they can have a lapse or two without problems, they can win games.

is that a good trait to have for a long term playoff team? probably not.

BertSquirtgum
04-23-2010, 11:46 PM
i think he's a good coach. he just needs a couple of stars to make this team an absolute force to reckon with.

Electrici
04-24-2010, 01:23 AM
They aren't letting either one go, you can take it to the bank!

SabreEleven
04-24-2010, 10:51 AM
IF Ruff gets fired, he'll win a Stanley Cup within 3 years of where ever he goes....except the Rangers. They won't play defense for him.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-24-2010, 11:42 AM
found it,

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ruff, Regier get new deals as Sabres coach, GM

"I've got one goal and that's to win a Cup, and I feel my best chance is here," Ruff said. "There wasn't a question of leaving at all because we've worked hard at this. We've put a lot of work to getting it to where it's at. ... It would be foolish to step away from it now."

Ruff signed a new three-year contract with a fourth-year option, and Regier agreed to a two-year deal.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/sabres/2007-06-13-ruff-extension_N.htm

SabreEleven
04-24-2010, 11:56 AM
found it,

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Ruff, Regier get new deals as Sabres coach, GM

"I've got one goal and that's to win a Cup, and I feel my best chance is here," Ruff said. "There wasn't a question of leaving at all because we've worked hard at this. We've put a lot of work to getting it to where it's at. ... It would be foolish to step away from it now."

Ruff signed a new three-year contract with a fourth-year option, and Regier agreed to a two-year deal.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/sabres/2007-06-13-ruff-extension_N.htm

What did you find? An ariticle on the internet? Congrats.

Ingtar33
04-24-2010, 01:03 PM
I very much disagree w/ you (respectfully). I love Lindy, and hope he stays for many years to come.

I'm with you on this.

And i'm not going to blame Lindy for missing the playoffs the last two years when his point total for those years would have made the playoffs pretty much every year BUT those years (i mean he missed the playoffs with winning records and 90+ point seasons)

Throw in Miller getting hurt last year and you can't tell me he's doing a poor job.

That was really creative though, pointing out 5 of the last 8 years were missed playoff years... when he's only had 1 season in 12 with a losing record... and you ignore the ownership fiasco.

try this...

97-98 - 36W 29L 17T - 89 Points (playoffs, L Conference Finals)
98–99 - 37W 28L 17T - 91 Points (playoffs, L Stanley Cup Finals)
99–00 - 35W 32L 11T 4OTL - 85 Points (playoffs, L 1st round)
00–01 - 46W 30L 5T 1OTL - 98 Points (playoffs, L 2nd round)
01–02 - 35W 35L 11T 1OTL - 82 Points (missed playoffs)
02–03 - 27W 37L 10T 8OTL - 72 Points (missed playoffs, losing record)
03–04 - 37W 34L 7T 4OTL - 85 Points (missed playoffs)
-no season-
05–06 - 52W 24L 6OTL - 110 Points (playoffs, L Conference Finals)
06–07 - 53W 22L 7OTL - 113 Points (playoffs, division champ, L Conference Finals)
07–08 - 39W 31L 12OTL - 90 Points (missed playoffs)
08–09 - 41W 32L 9OTL - 91Points (missed playoffs)
09–10 - 45W 27L 10OTL - 100 Points (playoffs, division champ, still playing)

(BTW: 90 points would have made the playoffs this year)

JD
04-24-2010, 05:08 PM
What did you find? An ariticle on the internet? Congrats.
He probably thinks ruff can't get fired until his contract is up :rofl:

Typ0
04-24-2010, 05:12 PM
I still say they have a plan and are building for another cup run in the next three years. They will make additions to the roster this offseason I would be very surprised if they don't.

SabreEleven
04-24-2010, 05:26 PM
He probably thinks ruff can't get fired until his contract is up :rofl:

It's not the first time he thought that.

chernobylwraiths
04-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm with you on this.

And i'm not going to blame Lindy for missing the playoffs the last two years when his point total for those years would have made the playoffs pretty much every year BUT those years (i mean he missed the playoffs with winning records and 90+ point seasons)

Throw in Miller getting hurt last year and you can't tell me he's doing a poor job.

That was really creative though, pointing out 5 of the last 8 years were missed playoff years... when he's only had 1 season in 12 with a losing record... and you ignore the ownership fiasco.

try this...

97-98 - 36W 29L 17T - 89 Points (playoffs, L Conference Finals)
98–99 - 37W 28L 17T - 91 Points (playoffs, L Stanley Cup Finals)
99–00 - 35W 32L 11T 4OTL - 85 Points (playoffs, L 1st round)
00–01 - 46W 30L 5T 1OTL - 98 Points (playoffs, L 2nd round)
01–02 - 35W 35L 11T 1OTL - 82 Points (missed playoffs)
02–03 - 27W 37L 10T 8OTL - 72 Points (missed playoffs, losing record)
03–04 - 37W 34L 7T 4OTL - 85 Points (missed playoffs)
-no season-
05–06 - 52W 24L 6OTL - 110 Points (playoffs, L Conference Finals)
06–07 - 53W 22L 7OTL - 113 Points (playoffs, division champ, L Conference Finals)
07–08 - 39W 31L 12OTL - 90 Points (missed playoffs)
08–09 - 41W 32L 9OTL - 91Points (missed playoffs)
09–10 - 45W 27L 10OTL - 100 Points (playoffs, division champ, still playing)

(BTW: 90 points would have made the playoffs this year)

You can't take the point totals for the post strike years. The shootout has totally screwed the record books.

I can't stand the whining anymore. I can understand the *****ing, but it can only go so far. New Jersey lost Brodeur for most of last season, but they kept right on going. We lose Miller and we are out. Yes, it is mostly the team's fault, but Ruff has lost players in the past who didn't want to play his style of game. Is that his fault, only partly, but he does have some blame there. Then the other night, he blames the officials. ONE goal was scored on the power play in regulation. The team has to score more goals, but he *****ed like it was the officials fault.

He also doesn't seem to punish the players responsible for playing bad. Torres wasn't playing poorly and was one of the few physical forwards, but he benched him and kept in the guys who have been underperforming.

I also said in the original post that I mostly want Regeir gone, but it all hinges one what players are kept here and which are sent. I am done with Roy, Pomminville, Stafford, Connolly, Lydman, Hecht, Tallinder, etc. I don't expect them all gone and I know Lydman and Tallinder are both UFA, but I would like to see a couple of those forwards gone.

Ingtar33
04-25-2010, 05:24 AM
the Sabres have had 9 seasons in their history with 100 points... Ruff coached 3 of them.

The Sabres have had 1 season in their history with the president's trophy... Ruff coached that team.

The Sabres have 6 division championships in their history... Ruff coached 2 of them

The Sabres have 2 teams get to the Stanley Cup Championships round, Ruff coached 1 of them.

the Sabres have made it to the Conference Finals/Cup Semifinals (same thing, different name) 6 times, Ruff coached 4 of them.

Since 1984, the Sabres have had 2 seasons with 300+ goals scored... Ruff coached one of them.

The Sabres have had 3 seasons with less then 200 goals allowed (in a full non-strike season)... Ruff coached all 3 of those teams.

Typ0
04-25-2010, 06:41 AM
What exactly are you saying?

the Sabres have had 9 seasons in their history with 100 points... Ruff coached 3 of them.

The Sabres have had 1 season in their history with the president's trophy... Ruff coached that team.

The Sabres have 6 division championships in their history... Ruff coached 2 of them

The Sabres have 2 teams get to the Stanley Cup Championships round, Ruff coached 1 of them.

the Sabres have made it to the Conference Finals/Cup Semifinals (same thing, different name) 6 times, Ruff coached 4 of them.

Since 1984, the Sabres have had 2 seasons with 300+ goals scored... Ruff coached one of them.

The Sabres have had 3 seasons with less then 200 goals allowed (in a full non-strike season)... Ruff coached all 3 of those teams.

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Ruff is a sacred cow around here. I'm just bringing up some points to show that he isn't necessarily the greatest coach in the league.

Ruff has not won a championship.

I fail to see how Ruff and Regeir are on the same page: Ruff has his team play a defensive minded game, but Darcy rarely gets him players that play that style. Look at all the offensive, non-physical players on the roster. I may like Ennis and Gerbe, but how many little guys do we need on this team. We need a bruiser back on defense, but Weber languishes in the minors while players like Sekera and Butler struggle.

The two championships came in the last 4 years. Funny how his teams barely squeaked into the playoffs in his first years despite having possibly the greatest goaltender ever.

The year Ruff's team made it to the Stanley Cup finals, every underdog won in the first round. When we beat Boston in round two, we actually had the same amount of points on the season and Toronto had just 6 more and we seem to beat Toronto a lot. Sure it was a very good feat, but it isn't like they went through all the top teams to get there.

Ingtar33
04-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Ruff has not won a championship.

I fail to see how Ruff and Regeir are on the same page: Ruff has his team play a defensive minded game, but Darcy rarely gets him players that play that style. Look at all the offensive, non-physical players on the roster. I may like Ennis and Gerbe, but how many little guys do we need on this team. We need a bruiser back on defense, but Weber languishes in the minors while players like Sekera and Butler struggle.

i fail to see how it's the coach's fault he can't win a cup, when he's not on the ice skating for the team. don't get me wrong. a bad coach can sink a good team. but how many all stars are on the team?

1?
2?

i doubt more then that.

seems to me the real question is what has Darcy been doing. Don't get me wrong, he's done a fine job managing the team, but he never seems to make the move that will push us over the top.

Novacane
04-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Keep Ruff and give him a chance to work with a GM whose not a moron.

Typ0
04-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Keep Ruff and give him a chance to work with a GM whose not a moron.

Why is it so easy to assume the GM doesn't have constraints?

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2010, 07:49 PM
seems to me the real question is what has Darcy been doing. Don't get me wrong, he's done a fine job managing the team, but he never seems to make the move that will push us over the top.

I think I've stated more than once that I think Darcy is the biggest problem. But, if Ruff likes this lineup, then I won't be too unhappy to see him go. I have heard time and again how great Ruff and Regeir work together and how they are on the same page when it comes to players. If this is the case, then Ruff also likes these players and is culpable in keeping them in the lineup. So, he is just as much at fault. Plus, he is the one that is supposed to motivate these guys or play guys that are more motivated. How many times have we seen fans say how the Sabres only play 1 to 2 periods a game? JMO.

YardRat
04-25-2010, 07:51 PM
I blame Ralph. Cheap bastard...

chernobylwraiths
04-25-2010, 08:14 PM
I blame Leon Czolgosz. Everything started going downhill after what he did.

SabreEleven
04-25-2010, 08:34 PM
I think I've stated more than once that I think Darcy is the biggest problem. But, if Ruff likes this lineup, then I won't be too unhappy to see him go. I have heard time and again how great Ruff and Regeir work together and how they are on the same page when it comes to players. If this is the case, then Ruff also likes these players and is culpable in keeping them in the lineup. So, he is just as much at fault. Plus, he is the one that is supposed to motivate these guys or play guys that are more motivated. How many times have we seen fans say how the Sabres only play 1 to 2 periods a game? JMO.

Darcy gets guys like him...soft and small and Ruff wants them to play like he did...rough and tough...those two don't mix.

Typ0
04-25-2010, 08:36 PM
I disagree and it's likely economics that is the problem. Darcy has brought in good players and even made some good players. People aren't happy that the team has not won a cup and they turn and assume Gretsky of his hey day is knocking on the door to come play in Buffalo. None of us have any information about what has been tried and how things have been worked. Be careful what you wish for. The roster is not bad it's just missing a couple pieces to the puzzle (maybe just one good piece). It's not that easy to get everything to fit together in a small low profile market. I expect the team to make another run at the top in the near future myself. Three times a charm.

JD
04-25-2010, 09:06 PM
I disagree and it's likely economics that is the problem. Darcy has brought in good players and even made some good players. People aren't happy that the team has not won a cup and they turn and assume Gretsky of his hey day is knocking on the door to come play in Buffalo. None of us have any information about what has been tried and how things have been worked. Be careful what you wish for. The roster is not bad it's just missing a couple pieces to the puzzle (maybe just one good piece). It's not that easy to get everything to fit together in a small low profile market. I expect the team to make another run at the top in the near future myself. Three times a charm.
I'm not sure how one could call Buffalo a "small market" in terms of their two professional sports teams. Games always sell out and TV ratings are sometimes even higher than "large markets" even when Buffalo isn't playing.

We have a smaller number of people but our average citizen pays more attention to their sports teams than the average "large market" citizen, if that makes sense. So, in terms of population and maybe wealth I guess we can be termed small market.

MikeInRoch
04-25-2010, 09:21 PM
The sports teams can not sell their tickets/luxury boxes for NEARLY as much as a large market team could. That does make a big difference.

DMBcrew36
04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
The sports teams can not sell their tickets/luxury boxes for NEARLY as much as a large market team could. That does make a big difference.

Yeah, I remember reading that the Sabres must reach at least the 2nd round of playoffs for the team to make money (stay in the black) in that season.

JD
04-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I remember reading that the Sabres must reach at least the 2nd round of playoffs for the team to make money (stay in the black) in that season.
When you add in their merchandise sales, the team is profitable.

Maybe if they didn't offer an insane discount for people to renew seasons..they'd be out of the "black" without the playoffs.

TerrellOwensSharpie8
04-26-2010, 02:48 AM
If the Sabres lose to the Bruins. I think Regier definitely should go.

Three playoffs in the last 8 years.

Team captain fiasco.

Can utilize backup goalies.

Players don't seem to want to play hard for him.

Constant whining about referees, injuries, etc, instead of blaming the people who aren't playing well enough.

I like Lindy and think he is a decent coach, but this team isn't playing well and something needs to be done. Obviously, if they got rid of Regier, I would be happy and maybe give Lindy the GM duties, but if he actually likes guys like Roy, Stafford, Pomminville and their play, then I don't want him there either.

You fail. Ruff hate makes me sick, you and all the WGR callers constantly whine about FIRE RUFF.....yea okay and at least 20 teams would LOVE him as their coach. Stupidity defined with your post

RockStar36
04-26-2010, 09:24 AM
I completely disagree with this. There are people above Ruff and Regier that are pulling strings for sure, so I'd like to know which coach/GM combo would actually succeed here in Buffalo.

Ruff has been very successful given what he's had to work with in the past.

I do think some of the core guys are a little too comfortable, but I don't think firing the coach/GM is the fix for that.

Philagape
04-26-2010, 09:29 AM

His early years were all Hasek. He was the only reason they went that far.

chernobylwraiths
04-26-2010, 11:39 AM
You fail. Ruff hate makes me sick, you and all the WGR callers constantly whine about FIRE RUFF.....yea okay and at least 20 teams would LOVE him as their coach. Stupidity defined with your post

I don't hate Ruff. I think I stated that several times. BUT, there are plenty of people on the opposite side that think Ruff can do no wrong. That nothing is his fault. I KNOW that Ruff wouldn't be out of a job for more than a year, probably not more than a couple weeks, but it is pretty clear that many players on this team do not want to play his system all the time and take shifts/periods/games off. I want to get rid of those players. I want to get rid of the GM. And if Ruff wants to defend those same players (Roy, Pomminville, Connolly, Stafford, Lydman, Hecht, etc) then get rid of him too.

chernobylwraiths
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
I completely disagree with this. There are people above Ruff and Regier that are pulling strings for sure, so I'd like to know which coach/GM combo would actually succeed here in Buffalo.

Ruff has been very successful given what he's had to work with in the past.

I do think some of the core guys are a little too comfortable, but I don't think firing the coach/GM is the fix for that.

The first part is another apologist part for Darcy and Lindy. "They don't have any say. They are told what to do. They are only given so much money to do what they want." That is total BS. Sure they are given parameters, most GMs are. But who would actually keep a job that limits them so much. So many on here are quick to point out that Darcy and especially Lindy would be snapped up by any other team in the NHL. Well, why would you keep signing contracts and working for the same organization that is tying your hands when you could do just about anything you wanted somewhere else?

Sure Ruff has been somewhat successful, I can't argue that. But he has also been unsuccessful at times too missing the playoffs several times.

I completely agree with that last part. Maybe getting rid of the coach/GM isn't the fix, but keeping everything status quo isn't either.

chernobylwraiths
04-26-2010, 12:11 PM
His early years were all Hasek. He was the only reason they went that far.

I don't completely agree with this, but mostly agree. Those early years had pretty much the same ratio of grit and softness. What it lacked was offensive talent and it needed a few breaks to win. Most of the guys that really helped that team win were alienated by either Lindy or Darcy or ownership of a combination. Players like Peca, Audette, Barnaby (who I never liked but gave everything he had). Losing Peca really hurt this team and the way they handled it alienated the players for years afterward.

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2010, 05:58 AM
Hopefully Darcy gets let go real soon. But I doubt it will happen. See what Lindy thinks of the players we have and which ones should go. If he tries to keep all of the Roy, Pomminville, Connolly, Stafford type players, then show him the door as well. If he think we should trade a couple/all of them, kick him upstairs. Bring in Cunneyworth to coach.

Dozerdog
04-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Lindy Ruff can win a cup with top players.

He can take very average players pretty far. We have a roster that probably has equall to slightly less talent than the Florida Panthers- yet every year we contend and they miss out.

The best team we have ever assembled was that post-lockout team that lost to Carolina. If we didn't have our top 4-5 defensemen fall to injury- we would be cup champions.

I am beginning to doubt Reiger though. These trade deadline fiascos (Moore- 2nd rounder, Torres- 2nd rounder) are beginning to irk me. He did ok in my book letting Campbell, Briere, Drury go ( what was that- $100 million they signed for?)

Lindy is one of the best coaches in the league. It would be idiotic to fire him "just for a change"

Dozerdog
04-27-2010, 06:17 AM
What the Sabres need is star power. We need guys of the LaFontaine /Mogilny /Turgeon caliber.

Kovilchuck fits that bill. Marleau is out there too, but I think he will be a bust getting away from the Sharks.

DMBcrew36
04-27-2010, 06:34 AM
I don't want Ruff to go anywhere. However, we need to fire an assistant coach and get a new guy who can work on our powerplay.

Cleve
04-27-2010, 06:37 AM
Jeebus Christo, the Sabres power play was just awful this series. Whoever is responsible ought to be fired.