PDA

View Full Version : Ummm, we need an OT!!!

Nighthawk
04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
What the ****? No OT...no QB...what the hell are these guys doing? If they think they have sufficient talent at those positions, then they're not the right guys for the job. We've still got tomorrow...but this is getting ugly.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2010, 08:02 PM
It is a couple year project as Nix said when he took the job.

Nighthawk
04-23-2010, 08:02 PM
It is a couple year project as Nix said when he took the job.

Dude is 70...he may not have a couple of years.

New Ro's Greatest
04-23-2010, 08:03 PM
i feel you nighthawk. But the talent at OT is pretty much the same now to the end of the draft. Bruce Campbell would have been cool but we are just looking at potential with him. I still think we get a T in the next 2 rounds. GO BILLS:snooze:

Nighthawk
04-23-2010, 08:05 PM
i feel you nighthawk. But the talent at OT is pretty much the same now to the end of the draft. Bruce Campbell would have been cool but we are just looking at potential with him. I still think we get a T in the next 2 rounds. GO BILLS:snooze:

I hear ya...I'm just a little disappointed in how this 2nd day has gone. I'm probably wrong and they're doing fine, but right now, I'm not feeling it.

don137
04-23-2010, 08:05 PM
The problem with Campbell is he is a project player. The Bills have a plethora of project players at OT.

New Ro's Greatest
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I hear ya...I'm just a little disappointed in how this 2nd day has gone. I'm probably wrong and they're doing fine, but right now, I'm not feeling it.

I think the last 2 picks have been good. I wanted Kindle bad! But hey i will just watch Nix do his thing and see what happens. GO BILLS:awm:

BillsFanCupp38
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
We need the best players... not positions...

Scumbag College
04-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Travares Tillman...

The Bills needed a safety a few years ago and made a HUGE reach for Tillman in the second and inserted him into the starting lineup. The former regimes in Buffalo would draft players for positions to plug in and start from Day 1. This front office is drafting the best players available to play the system they want.

Is Bruce Campbell better than Cornell Brown, Meredith, or D. Bell? Maybe. Is he a long term solution at OT? Well, 32 teams have passed on him and alot of other OTs several times already and keep passing on him, so probably not.

Don't Panic
04-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Not surprised about QB, but I definitely thought we'd have a OT by now. Can they really be that happy with Bell, Meredith and Green??

Griff
04-23-2010, 08:36 PM
so Nighthawk, what Super Bowl contending team have you built?

Nighthawk
04-23-2010, 08:49 PM

Hey Griff...how many QB's have you scouted in this draft, since you have guaranteed that any one we would pick would be gone in a few years?

Night Train
04-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Next Year. Half the holes this off-season, the rest next.

Way too many needs and so few picks.

Nighthawk
04-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Next Year. Half the holes this off-season, the rest next.

Way too many needs and so few picks.

Agreed. Still would've been nice to get an LT.

Chewytie
04-23-2010, 08:57 PM
We have six picks left (correct me if I can't count.) And as far as I can tell this draft is deep for days at OT (well not deep but other than Baluga and a few others, most of the OT's are on the same level.)

psubills62
04-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, thankfully there are still several OT's left.

At this point I'm not sure I'd be too surprised to see the Bills eschew OT until late in the draft.

I have to wonder if they're just focusing on adding a couple of guys on offense that they think could really help, then building up the defense. It would set us up well for next year if we potentially want to take a franchise QB, then trade up for an OT (a la Falcons with Matt Ryan and Sam Baker).

Akhippo
04-24-2010, 12:01 AM
I would take a chance on Campbell. If not then C Thomas or E Griffin would be my picks. Plenty of big bodies on defense.

Next year a QB, LT, WR and we should be turning the corner.

billz83
04-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Not surprised about QB, but I definitely thought we'd have a OT by now. Can they really be that happy with Bell, Meredith and Green??

i hope not! they played like **** last year..and green is the ****** backup to the guy we got rid of(walker)..so that entire scenerio just doesnt make sense! im hoping we pick up sum really good veteran players either in trades or the free agency period thas coming up..

mayotm
04-24-2010, 06:32 AM
I'm in the minority around here, but I think Bell will be the long term solution at LT. Most of his issues last year were mental versus being physically over matched. The mental issues can be corrected with experience and coaching. Keep in mind that Bell is very new to football. He didn't even play in high school. That stated, the Bills still need to add some depth.

Night Train
04-24-2010, 07:05 AM
I believe the second Saffold opened Friday as the 1st pick, the chance of getting a quality LT from this draft was over. It's a numbers game.

Buddo
04-24-2010, 07:25 AM
While I'm on board with the idea of an OT pick, I think what you are seeing is pretty much the ultimate in pragmatic drafting, and long may it continue.
I don't think you can argue too much about the Spiller pick. The guy is a flat out playmaker, and even with both Lynch and Jackson, still brings that something different to our RB position.
Troup is distinctly a 'need' pick, but that doesn't mean he may not represent good value, either. While Cody may have more outright 'talent' for the position, with Troup you have a guy you can trust to go to work, and trust to keep himself in the right shape. At the NT position, that probably represents an 'intangible' that is off the scale ;)
Carrington again is something of a 'need' pick, but initially as much for depth and rotation, but does represent more of a 'round peg in round hole' selection. The guy will play DE in a 3-4, and has the size and weight to do so.
Where I think this draft goes now, in terms of its 'pragmatism', is that I don't think the Bills will draft guys who they don't think can 'upgrade' a position. The thing I do find amusing about the draft, is that it is very much 'the grass is always greener' for fans. That simply isn't true, in many instances.
From here on in, it's quite possible, that there isn't an OT that the bills like better than Meredith for example, who was a 4th rounder last year. Meredith was stolen off the Packers PS, part of the way through the season, and it was his rookie year anyway. He got thrown to the wolves in short order, due to injuries. He didn't disgrace himself. He's a fair bit of experience better off than any guy we can draft from now on in.
I'm not, by any means saying he's 'the answer', what I am saying, is that he's quite possibly better than anyone else left in the draft, and still has possibly more upside than others also. Why pick another OT in those circumstances?
I believe that Nix etc. know what they have on the roster, and if they can't find the potential to improve a position, they aren't going to draft it - whether that is OT, QB, or a.n.other position. Certainly arguments could be made that they could have jumped in a different direction in the first three rounds, but I think they are doing their level best to make picks that they are as certain as can be, will improve the team, and thus far, I can't argue with them.

henrybacker
04-24-2010, 08:08 AM

The same number as the bills have the past 15 years. The love/suck fest the fans have for the bills is mind boggling. Best spell ever cast.

ddaryl
04-24-2010, 08:10 AM
We'll be taking an OL or 2 today IMO....

but of course there mostly projects down here....

ddaryl
04-24-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm in the minority around here, but I think Bell will be the long term solution at LT. Most of his issues last year were mental versus being physically over matched. The mental issues can be corrected with experience and coaching. Keep in mind that Bell is very new to football. He didn't even play in high school. That stated, the Bills still need to add some depth.

He looked ok at times, and then looked lost at others.

It sure is a huge roll of the dice... BUT I agree with others that say the OT group after Staffold doesn't really give us much over what we already have immediately.

I am however very bummed I won't be buying a Charlie Brown Jersey

mayotm
04-24-2010, 08:19 AM
He looked ok at times, and then looked lost at others.

It sure is a huge roll of the dice... BUT I agree with others that say the OT group after Staffold doesn't really give us much over what we already have immediately.

I am however very bummed I won't be buying a Charlie Brown Jersey"Looking lost" is exactly what I meant by his issues being mental. He's still so new to the game. Again, with coaching and the experience he gained last season, he should significantly improve this year. Physically, the ability is there.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-24-2010, 09:25 AM
It is a couple year project as Nix said when he took the job. Oh, so now it's OK to lose?! It's OK, after ten years of failing to make the playoffs, NOW it's OK to lose? Sorry, pal, the grace period is up! Man up, homer. Your team blew it.

Bert102176
04-24-2010, 09:26 AM
here in the 4th I hope they take Aaron Hernandez a play making TE they missed out on the Good QB's and OT's in y opinion he is the best player available and agood TE can only help the QB who ever the hell it's gonna be

Bert102176
04-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Oh, so now it's OK to lose?! It's OK, after ten years of failing to make the playoffs, NOW it's OK to lose? Sorry, pal, the grace period is up! Man up, homer. Your team blew it.

THANK YOU