PDA

View Full Version : Nix defends not taking a quarterback early

patmoran2006
04-23-2010, 10:16 PM
One of the expected early criticisms emerging from nights one and two of the NFL draft is the Buffalo Bills failing to draft a quarterback within the first three rounds. If Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen or Colt McCoy were on the board when Buffalo picked at No. 41 at the latest, it was widely anticipated general manager Buddy Nix would grab one.

He didn’t.

Turns out that both Clausen and McCoy were available when the Bills were on the clock in the second round. They took all of 30 seconds before making their selection, defensive tackle Torell Troup.

In McCoy’s case he was passed over a second time in round three when the Bills elected to take defensive end Alex Carrington.

When asked why the team decided to pass over on Clausen, Nix was brief… and semi-defensive.

“How come they didn’t take him?” Nix said regarding how Clausen continued to slide for seven picks after the Bills passed on him. He was there and he was there at 42 and 43, absolutely.”

Clausen ended up lasting until the 48<SUP>th</SUP> pick when he was taken by the Carolina Panthers.

Chan Gailey has said for two months that the Bills quarterbacking job would be an open competition this summer. After the events of the last 24 hours, it certainly looks to be the case.

Like it or not, odds are overwhelming that Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Brian Brohm will be under center when the Bills open their 2010 season.

“We got three quarterbacks that got talent that we don’t know,” Nix told reporters Friday night. “All the physical stuff you see, they can play. They got to prove to us whether they can or not.”

Nix has said for some time he plans to add a fourth quarterback to the mix. He reiterated again Friday night that they’ll find another guy to add to the mix.

“It means we’re going to get one somewhere in the rest of the draft or we’re going to get a free agent,” Nix said. “We will get a fourth.”

Among the college prospects remaining, Dan LeFevour, Tony Pike, John Skelton and Jonathan Crompton are among the intriguing candidates.

Regarding free agents, Duante Culpepper said at the NFL Winter Meetings that he’d like to play for the Bills, and Chan Gailey hinted earlier this week that the team could be interested in adding 40-year Jeff Garcia.

Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell is assumed to be available on the trade market, though Nix sounds like a man looking to get more draft choices, not give any up.

Dicknoze69
04-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I thought the most telling things Nix said were: "Guys, we have a lot of needs" and something like "The NFL should let us grab three prospects for every pick we have."

It's pretty obvious he thinks the roster he inherited is in pretty poor shape. I'm just happy he isn't deluding himself into thinking we're a LT/QB away from the playoffs.

billsfanryan
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
I personally am very happy we didn't take clausen or mccoy. I don't believe that either one can be a franchise QB in buffalo (maybe in another town but not here). I don't see why it is a problem that they passed on players that 31 other teams passed on. To me it says that they weren't as good as Kiper/Mcshay and the Kiper/Mcshay wannabes on all of the boards think.

djjimkelly
04-23-2010, 10:40 PM
nix is doing a great job i love round 2 and 3 and understand round 1.

the team is in capable hands now

because this D is gonna be alot better maybe even stout

TacklingDummy
04-23-2010, 10:43 PM
My source tells me Dan LeFevour or John Skelton will be a Bill.

hydro
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
To keep up with the trend of picks that nobody likes, we probably will get Crompton.

Commissioner
04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm glad the Bills aren't as smart as most fans and didn't draft Clausen or McCoy....

and that was sarcasm.

jamze132
04-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Well we can breathe a huge sigh of relief now. I was never a fan of Clausen or McCoy.

Just because we have a need doesn't mean we can just draft anyone and throw him in there.

PECKERWOOD
04-23-2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.notredamesucks.org/clausen.jpg

This is why we didn't draft Clausen, I guarantee it.