PDA

View Full Version : mort just said

djjimkelly
04-24-2010, 02:14 PM
buddy nix likes brohm and only viewed bradford as an elite prospect

i know buddy was working for the bills last season does anyone know when that started.

and also maybe buddy was the one who plucked brohm from the packers practice squad.

ill remind everyone brohm was a 2nd rounder would have possibly been the top qb taken the year before(yes i know rodgers is a stud and 49ers should have grabbed him)

go brohm

ServoBillieves
04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Saw that too. Looks like for at least this year they have their guy.

Buddo
04-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Nix returned to the Bills, about a year ago last February I think. It was certainly before last years draft, and is likely why it wasn't a bad one, after Jauron got his way with the first pick.

tampabay25690
04-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey Im fine with that as long as they let Brohm run the 1st team and learn the offense.
At least he can hand the ball off to 3 very capable backs....

better days
04-24-2010, 02:22 PM

i know buddy was working for the bills last season does anyone know when that started.

and also maybe buddy was the one who plucked brohm from the packers practice squad.

ill remind everyone brohm was a 2nd rounder would have possibly been the top qb taken the year before(yes i know rodgers is a stud and 49ers should have grabbed him)

go brohm

Nix was hired well before the draft last year. I think he played a role in that draft except the Maybin pick, that was Dicks pick. I agree with you, I also think he was responsable for the Brohm signing.

CoolBreeze
04-24-2010, 02:23 PM
No doubt Brohm is going to be given every opportunity to start. He has the strongest arm, and the most talent among the 3 on the roster.

gggbills
04-24-2010, 02:28 PM

go brohm

You would not happen to know how his college stats compare to someone like Bradford or Jimmy C. do you?

Mathja
04-24-2010, 02:35 PM
When a team takes a QB in the first or 2nd round, they pretty much are stuck with that guy for at least 3 years and it even might prevent that team from drafting a qb in the following year's draft.
Perhaps Nix didn't want to clog up the QB position with a guy like Clausen who he might have liked, but not as a potential franchise QB. He might love Locker and/or Mallett and was setting planning a year in advance. Hey, the Yankees held onto prospects instead of trading for Johan Santana because they were already thinking about CC Sabathia for the following year.
.....Or, maybe Buddy really like Brohm. Or just flat-out hated the QB options this year.

BillsOwnAll
04-24-2010, 02:41 PM
I remember when brohm was drafted. He was a big prospect. I dont know why people are so set on brohm sucking. He never got a chance yet.

TigerJ
04-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I remember when brohm was drafted. He was a big prospect. I dont know why people are so set on brohm sucking. He never got a chance yet.Simple, he struggled in his first preseason with Green Bay, lost out to a late round pick and lost his confidence. That doesn't mean that he can't turn things around and have a good career, but that rough start is certainly enough to convince some fans he's going to suck forever.

Michael82
04-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I've been on Brohm's bandwagon for a while. I also feel the same way about Jamon Meredith and feel that Buddy Nix felt that signing both of those guys off GB's practice squad was like an extra draft pick. I love the potential for both of them and hope Brohm can win the job.

YardRat
04-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Brohm was the first player snagged almost immediately after Jauron was canned, and I've always seen that as evidence that he was Nix's call, but Lecter has mentioned before that the deal might have been in the works before.

Typ0
04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Have you ever asked yourself, as an armchair QB, why he hasn't gotten a chance yet?

I remember when brohm was drafted. He was a big prospect. I dont know why people are so set on brohm sucking. He never got a chance yet.

better days
04-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Have you ever asked yourself, as an armchair QB, why he hasn't gotten a chance yet?

The fact Rodgers is a pretty good QB maybe?

malvado78
04-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Brohm was the first player snagged almost immediately after Jauron was canned, and I've always seen that as evidence that he was Nix's call, but Lecter has mentioned before that the deal might have been in the works before.

I felt this as well.:brilliant:

Ron Burgundy
04-24-2010, 04:56 PM
When a team takes a QB in the first or 2nd round, they pretty much are stuck with that guy for at least 3 years

Unless you're Brian Brohm. Then you'll just get cut.

Typ0
04-24-2010, 04:57 PM
The fact Rodgers is a pretty good QB maybe?

That's why he landed on the practice squad and they didn't protect him from being grabbed up?

Yasgur's Farm
04-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Brohm was the first player snagged almost immediately after Jauron was canned, and I've always seen that as evidence that he was Nix's call, but Lecter has mentioned before that the deal might have been in the works before.I thought it was before Dickie was relieved of his duties... I'll check.

Yasgur's Farm
04-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Yup... You're correct... 12 days. Dickie fire 11/17... Brohm signed 11/29.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, this is encouraging anyway.

mysticsoto
04-24-2010, 05:38 PM
That's why he landed on the practice squad and they didn't protect him from being grabbed up?

Did you see Jamon Meredith play last year? He was actually pretty good and he was on GB's PS also. Sometimes teams take a chance and put prospects on the PS b'cse they need the roster spot for another spot.

Yasgur's Farm
04-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Exactly...

JCBills
04-24-2010, 05:48 PM
You would not happen to know how his college stats compare to someone like Bradford or Jimmy C. do you?

10,775 Yds - 70 TD - Never had lower than a 63.6 completion % in 3 years as the full time starter, was basically in a two QB system as a freshman only throwing 98 passes that season.

Been pulling for Brohm for months, I still say he'll win the starting job.

mikemac2001
04-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Final year college stats im glad we didn't waste a pick i wanted us to sign garcia and draft a prospect and go with brohm see how they do and if they suck draft a qb early next year

Jimmy C

2009 289pc 425pa 3722yds 68.0 cmp% 28 tds 4 ints 161.43

Colt Mccoy

2009 332pc 470pa 3521yds 70.6cmp% 27 tds 12 ints 147.41

Brian Brohm

2007 308pc 473pa 4024yds 65.1cmp% 29tds 12ints 151.73

JCBills
04-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Final year college stats im glad we didn't waste a pick i wanted us to sign garcia and draft a prospect and go with brohm see how they do and if they suck draft a qb early next year

Jimmy C

2009 289pc 425pa 3722yds 68.0 cmp% 28 tds 4 ints 161.43

Colt Mccoy

2009 332pc 470pa 3521yds 70.6cmp% 27 tds 12 ints 147.41

Brian Brohm

2007 308pc 473pa 4024yds 65.1cmp% 29tds 12ints 151.73

Good to note that Brohm and Clausen put up those numbers in pro-style offenses.

Billz_fan
04-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey Im all for Brohm if he can step in there. I certainly think he should get a shot he was high on alot of draft boards during his year, slipped a little and pretty much got lost out in GB. Could be just what we want.

ChristopherWalken
04-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Good theory. It would definitely explain things.

I'd also like to comment that Edwards and Fitzy are students of the west coast offense...in which the spread offense was developed. If you look at the comments concerning the kid the Bills drafted out of Troy, he too played Wmainly a spread formation in college.

The QB competition will be interesting to watch.

IMO, Fitzy has the drive and the brain but lacks the natural ability.

Edwards has the brain and the natural ability but certainly lacks drive which in turn also exposes lack of mental toughness. I certainly felt Edwards gave up on several games the last to seasons, not wanting the game to rely on his arm. That's were the check-down comes in. He used the check down as an excuse. No balls IMHO. I think he's done as I do not think Gailey will stand for that kind of weak behavior. I'd have given Fitz the ball too for having the heart and giving you the best of his abilities...rather than hiding and administering a lack luster attempt such as Edwards.

I don't think I've seen enough of Brohm. His start in Atlanta was wrapped in Bills team politics and doo-doo. Brohm gave Owens a decent jump ball that Owens flat out ignored. I think it was sometime before that game Owens had decided to throw in the towel in Buffalo. Had Owens have actually made an attempt at that ball he very likely could have come up with, or in the very least broken it up and kept the drive alive. Instead it's marked as a Brohm INT and mistake. BS! Regardless, I need to see more of Brian surrounded by talent and mentored by the correct coaches.

I watched some tape of Levi Brown and I can firmly say that I was not impressed. While he did show promise on several occasions, he surely didn't appear worthy of jumping in and throwing Lee Evans bombs or the occasional out route. He gets skittish quite quickly relying too much on a pair of feet that even a bow legged turtle would be embarrassed to have. He would allow plays to break down time and time again rather than stepping up to make the throw. It worked for him at Troy but things develop at a much quicker pace in the pros.

I think Edwards will be the odd man out here. Thinking like a coach I don't think his lack of effort will be well received. The tapes are there and they will want to know precisely why he was benched.

With that being said, I think the Bills should also seriously consider looking at Ravens back-up Troy Smith. He was an RFA that warranted a 5th round pick this season bu since then the Ravens have signed him to a 1 year 1.01 million deal. Washington having set precedence with Jason Campbell and a 2012 4th, I think the Bills could offer Baltimore a trade and perhaps get away with using a 2011 5th or 6th round pick, or pitch Lynch for Troy and late rounder. IMO, Smith would be a better fit at QB in Gailey's offense than all else mentioned above.

Tatonka
04-24-2010, 08:09 PM
just an FYI for those that dont remember how brohm was thought of when he was drafted.. remember this was just prior to aaron rodgers being named the starter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0BIKmoq0s&feature=related

better days
04-24-2010, 08:24 PM

It could be the other guy was more ready to be the back up NOW than Brohm was. The Packers only carried 2 QB's because they wanted the roster spot for a position player.

Maybe the Packers thought everyone would think like you, that if he was put on the practice squad he must not be any good, so they were not afraid of losing him. They did TRY to keep him when he signed with the Bills.

Typ0
04-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Certainly all these theories fit in with the second coming of Montana philosophy we experience as Bills fans who know nothing but the potential of a QB. However, the only evidence available in this case isn't favorable for Brohm making it at all. Even the fact that the Bills picked him up doesn't work in his favor because their track record with QBs is horrible.

It could be the other guy was more ready to be the back up NOW than Brohm was. The Packers only carried 2 QB's because they wanted the roster spot for a position player.

Maybe the Packers thought everyone would think like you, that if he was put on the practice squad he must not be any good, so they were not afraid of losing him. They did TRY to keep him when he signed with the Bills.

mikemac2001
04-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Certainly all these theories fit in with the second coming of Montana philosophy we experience as Bills fans who know nothing but the potential of a QB. However, the only evidence available in this case isn't favorable for Brohm making it at all. Even the fact that the Bills picked him up doesn't work in his favor because their track record with QBs is horrible.

But buddy nix's track record is good....:limpclap:

better days
04-24-2010, 09:23 PM
But buddy nix's track record is good....:limpclap:

As is Chan Gaileys. If Brohm or any of the QB's on the roster has any talent, I think Chan will develop it.

BertSquirtgum
04-24-2010, 09:34 PM

GB had only two qb's on the roster. they tried to keep him but in the end he decided to go to the bills. i can only assume because he thought he had a better chance at playing here.

Typ0
04-24-2010, 09:57 PM
You guys can rationalize all you want. Believe it or not nothing would make me happier than if the homers were right and we had the right guy on the squad already but the only thing you are going on is where he was drafted and the fact is most QBs who are drafted don't make it. I'm remaining in the I'll believe it when I see it camp until I actually see something tangible.

mikemac2001
04-24-2010, 10:17 PM
You guys can rationalize all you want. Believe it or not nothing would make me happier than if the homers were right and we had the right guy on the squad already but the only thing you are going on is where he was drafted and the fact is most QBs who are drafted don't make it. I'm remaining in the I'll believe it when I see it camp until I actually see something tangible.

Ive been on the brohm train since we have signed him and yes you are right QB's rarely work out

but i fell most qb's are rushed into a bad situation with brohm sitting and watching for 2 years i think we have the most chance with him over a colt mccoy or jimmy c and it cost us nothing

if he ends up winning the qb spot and plays like **** o no we draft one next year and it cost us nothing

i may be a homer but i understand value and risk and brohm is low risk high reward written all over him.

and ive posted it before he was drafted in a bad situation which would hurt any young players confidence. get drafted by a team who already has there qb and your suppose to be pumped to sit the bench

Nighthawk
04-24-2010, 10:21 PM
I've been a Brohm backer before he was finally picked up off of GB's PS. This kid can play and I believe he is who they are hoping wins the job.

Throne Logic
04-25-2010, 12:09 AM
A couple random points:

You have to wonder why Green Bay drafted Brohm in the first place. Were they doubting Rogers? Apply that to the Trent Edwards situation...

A couple of history making practice squad / 3rd string QB plucks that come to my mind: Tampa Bay lost Steve Young to San Francisco. Atlanta lost Brett Favre to Green Bay.

jamze132
04-25-2010, 01:13 AM
I just hope Brohm and Edwards get the majority of the snaps in pre-season. I could care less about Fitzpatrick.

Typ0
04-25-2010, 06:59 AM
I don't know what world you live in but both of those guys were traded not "plucked". Glanville just didn't like Favre and Walsh believed in Young because the Bucs sucked when he was there. You seem to be trying to lay the old "Montana was no good until he got playing time therefore if we give JP playing time he'll be as good as Montana" type of argument here. The straws people grasp at to somehow rationalize the team is any good are really, really small.

A couple random points:

You have to wonder why Green Bay drafted Brohm in the first place. Were they doubting Rogers? Apply that to the Trent Edwards situation...

A couple of history making practice squad / 3rd string QB plucks that come to my mind: Tampa Bay lost Steve Young to San Francisco. Atlanta lost Brett Favre to Green Bay.