PDA

View Full Version : It's everybodies favorite time Grade our Draft

ddaryl
04-24-2010, 03:37 PM
How did the Bills do.How did Nix do as a GM during his 1st draft.

Yes I know it takes years, but this is to determine gut reactions only.

Dislikes

whiners and homers unite :whoosh:

Novacane
04-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I= incomplete. Let you know in a couple years. I like the Spiller pick a lot. He has the potential to be a star. I don't have any *****es about any of the picks. Hopefully 3 or 4 of them turn into solid starters and make it an A+

ddaryl
04-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I voted solid (C)... I know so little about most of the players and I can't really determine how we did.

We addressed positions of need but after Spiller I didn't feel any player we selected actually fell to us, but what do I know....

The Spaz
04-24-2010, 03:44 PM
B to B+ IMO.

BillsWin
04-24-2010, 03:50 PM
B with A potential.

We are building a great defense and picked a sleeper at QB (I doubt anything becomes of Brown, but he has sleeper potential), Spiller is a great player, Easley really seems like he has potential to be a good wide receiver. Jaws seemed to think he was going to be good.

Good, solid draft. What I loved was that Buddy didn't try to out smart anyone. He went with HIS draftboard. Not the media's. He didn't reach (I know people think Troup, but I think he had value there) and ended up getting brilliant value in rounds 4-7.

Very solid.

ServoBillieves
04-24-2010, 03:55 PM
We now have: a legitimate weapon on offense, a strong NT, depth at LB, DE, and the secondary is the same. We have a project WR deep threat who can wait behind the receivers on the current roster and develop. Is Wang the answer at one of the tackles? Is Brown worth anything past a camp fodder? I see success down the road with this class.

ddaryl
04-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Wow now we have 5 threads grading drafts....

One should suffice

PECKERWOOD
04-24-2010, 03:56 PM
I did not see this thread, I just created the same damn thread, lol.

This draft gets a C+ from me, solid. I love the Troup pick, but we should have taken Clausen.

ddaryl
04-24-2010, 03:59 PM
I did not see this thread, I just created the same damn thread, lol.

This draft gets a C+ from me, solid. I love the Troup pick, but we should have taken Clausen.

I so disagree with anything Clausen, and I stand by the reason is his tiny wittle hands... that is a recipe for heartbreak in Buffalo. The ball is going to find ways to come out of those hands at the wrong time or the wrong way :2cents:

Probably in Late Dec when we are on the verge of a playoff berth... Clausen back to throw.. The ball is loose ......

mysticsoto
04-24-2010, 04:01 PM
F!!!

I hated the draft. We didn't draft 2-3 CBs and overall 4-5 defensive backs...

PECKERWOOD
04-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I so disagree with anything Clausen, and I stand by the reason is his tiny wittle hands... that is a recipe for heartbreak in Buffalo. The ball is going to find ways to come out of those hands at the worng time or the wrong way :2cents:

Well, I see what they were doing, Spiller was the BPA, but it does bother me that we could have Anthony Davis as our starting LT and Jimmy Clausen as our starting QB, that's an A+ draft and for passing on these two players, as much as I loved the draft in it's entirety, that knocks it down a bit for me. Spiller should be an electrifying player and Troup should be a cornerstone on our defense, but wow, we could have our two biggest needs filled with top prospects and at great value.

HAMMER
04-24-2010, 04:02 PM
dd,

Where did you go to school? Where in the world is an E part of a grading system?

YardRat
04-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Obviously the 'real' grades come a couple of years down the road, but it's still fun to analyze the choices immediately after.

I gave the team a 'B' for the following reasons...

1) Addressed the defensive side of the ball, accounting for the switch in schemes. A space-eater at NT, a 3-4 DE, and a couple of LB's for the front seven.

2) Offensive needs? Tackles - check. QB - check. WR - check. How much these picks will actually contribute remains to be seen, but they've definitely got the opportunity in Buffalo.

3) Spiller - Although I'm more leery than some as to how much of an impact he can have (I don't care how much speed a guy has, he isn't going to get out of second gear if the offensive line can't push defenders off of the line or keep them out of the backfield), I'm looking forward to seeing this guy get the ball in space on catches and returns and giving us a chance to score from anywhere on the field, anytime he is on the field.

4) Zero wasted picks...no TE's, no DB's, no 'tweeners'.

5) We got 'BIG'. Spiller is the exception, but all of the other picks have good size. NT = 314 lbs. DE = 285. OT's - 314 and 323. LB's = 250. WR and QB hover around 6'3". No more sleek, lightweight, "Ohhh...I'm bruised and need to go on IR" namby-pamby horse ****.

6) We didn't reach for an over-valued QB that was rated higher simply because of the poor depth of talent at the position.

Night Train
04-24-2010, 04:09 PM
<table id="post3220845" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_3220845">I'd say B+

Bills were never going to fill all their needs and Nix said it best when he stated Thursday that if picks were based on needs, we'd have 3 in every round. That should be a major wakeup call to the usual criers who are eager to point out what we didn't draft. Thank God we passed on all those frauds at QB.

2 bonafied starters in Spiller and Troup. Some savy additional picks on D. OL depth. A WR with huge upside. A developmental QB who would do well on the practice squad.

Satisfied. If you can't get excited about seeing Spiller, switch to soccer.
<!-- / message --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2">
</td> <td class="alt1" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Johnny Bugmenot
04-24-2010, 04:24 PM
From me, this draft gets a firm D.

The fact they drafted a nose tackle early on saves it from outright failure.

The fact they waited until the 5th round for the supposed franchise LT we've been waiting for leaves me with zero confidence going into next year. Same with quarterback in the 6th (and before someone even mentions Tom Brady, he went to Michigan-- a Big Ten school-- whereas this guy when to Troy, who was in a very weak conference and went 1-4 outside of it last year-- how do you expect him to compete in the NFL when he can't even compete in the BCS?). Too many glaring needs weren't addressed until the leftover rounds. Too many top prospects were passed up. Not a single trade-- up or down. Trying to fill holes that need star talent with depth picks isn't going to help this team.

This team's defense struggled in part because it was on the field so much due to offensive ineptitude. While the reinforcements may help the team get better with some more 3-and-outs on their part, there has to be some improvement on the offensive side, and they cannot seriously expect leftover-round talent to fix that.

better days
04-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Well, I see what they were doing, Spiller was the BPA, but it does bother me that we could have Anthony Davis as our starting LT and Jimmy Clausen as our starting QB, that's an A+ draft and for passing on these two players, as much as I loved the draft in it's entirety, that knocks it down a bit for me. Spiller should be an electrifying player and Troup should be a cornerstone on our defense, but wow, we could have our two biggest needs filled with top prospects and at great value.

Unlike the past, Nix drafted best player not need. Clausen fell as far as he did for a reason, & I don't think the reason was his hand size. Buffalo spoiled a number of teams drafts by taking Spiller especially the Jags.

TacklingDummy
04-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I'll grade in 3 years.

They filled holes but that doesn't mean anything unless the player performs.

Prov401
04-24-2010, 04:39 PM
dd,

Where did you go to school? Where in the world is an E part of a grading system?

lol, E was actually in my old high school's grading system. They got rid of the D in our district, and replaced it with E for some reason.

T-Long
04-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Spiller: A+
Troup B
Carrington B+
Easley B
Wang C
Moats C+
Batten C-
Brown C
Calloway C+

Overall I think they filled needs, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and didn't reach for a pick. The Spiller pick was excellent, especially because the top 2 tackles were off the board. He is going to be a special player and am glad to have him on the team.

I would grade this draft as a solid "B" that has the potential to be an "A". I'm curious to see who they bring in as free agents...hopefully a lot more lineman. Bring em in to compete and have the best guy stay.

Buddo
04-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Obviously the 'real' grades come a couple of years down the road, but it's still fun to analyze the choices immediately after.

I gave the team a 'B' for the following reasons...

1) Addressed the defensive side of the ball, accounting for the switch in schemes. A space-eater at NT, a 3-4 DE, and a couple of LB's for the front seven.

2) Offensive needs? Tackles - check. QB - check. WR - check. How much these picks will actually contribute remains to be seen, but they've definitely got the opportunity in Buffalo.

3) Spiller - Although I'm more leery than some as to how much of an impact he can have (I don't care how much speed a guy has, he isn't going to get out of second gear if the offensive line can't push defenders off of the line or keep them out of the backfield), I'm looking forward to seeing this guy get the ball in space on catches and returns and giving us a chance to score from anywhere on the field, anytime he is on the field.

4) Zero wasted picks...no TE's, no DB's, no 'tweeners'.

5) We got 'BIG'. Spiller is the exception, but all of the other picks have good size. NT = 314 lbs. DE = 285. OT's - 314 and 323. LB's = 250. WR and QB hover around 6'3". No more sleek, lightweight, "Ohhh...I'm bruised and need to go on IR" namby-pamby horse ****.

6) We didn't reach for an over-valued QB that was rated higher simply because of the poor depth of talent at the position.

While I'm less concerned about Spiller as a RB - I think Gailey knows how to set up plays far better than anyone we've had in years, I agree with pretty much everything else said there.
Same 'B' grade, for the time being. I think it's an incredibly 'solid' draft. It may not get much higher than a 'B', simply because of that. I feel that it's about as good a 'rebuilding' draft, as we could manage, once Spiller had to be the pick due to value. As a 'rebuilding' draft, I also think that Nix wasn't inclined to take any 'fliers', on potential over production, and that is what may ultimately keep the grade, as is.
Good job done, tbh. I honestly can't see much cause for complaint atm, though no doubt somebody will over achieve who we didn't select, and cause the usual hindsight hair pulling and teeth gnashing. ;)

ddaryl
04-24-2010, 05:02 PM
dd,

I was just going thru the A -F and posted 6 selections. I then tried to change it but it was too late. Couldn't edit the poll :brace:

tampabay25690
04-24-2010, 05:03 PM
I voted B
But give it a B+++
Whoever voted F well.......Dont know what draft you watched.

Well we got a huge playmaker in SPILLER and now every defense has to watch where he is on the field. We got a guy that can get in the endzone.

DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE......We got alot of guys here and few can become big stars in this 3-4 I luv the TROUP pick he is a good kid, high character and plays the game and will be a very SOLID rotation with Kyle Williams....
Im not going to go over every pick right now but this is what I was thinking...

STEAL of the draft CALLOWAY OT in the 7th round you have to be kidding me......Great selection..

I AM very glad we did not reach for a QB in the eraly rounds. This has to be one of the worst QB classes I have seen in a while.

This franchise is in the right direction and I think as BILLS fans this starts a new decade.....

Great job in the draft...

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

ddaryl
04-24-2010, 05:03 PM

I didn't want either Davis or Clausen and would have been very upset if we took Clausen. Clausen would have set this franchise back another 5 years IMHO... He will be solid but he'll rip the hearts out of the faithful in the end IMO.

imbondz
04-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Spiller makes it a B. I'm definitely psyched about him.

Otherwise, it's just another lame draft. The Draft is always overrated to me. It's fun, but we never really know how it is until 2-3 years later.

tampabay25690
04-24-2010, 05:07 PM

The fact they waited until the 5th round for the supposed franchise LT we've been waiting for leaves me with zero confidence going into next year. Same with quarterback in the 6th (and before someone even mentions Tom Brady, he went to Michigan-- a Big Ten school-- whereas this guy when to Troy, who was in a very weak conference and went 1-4 outside of it last year-- how do you expect him to compete in the NFL when he can't even compete in the BCS?). Too many glaring needs weren't addressed until the leftover rounds. Too many top prospects were passed up. Not a single trade-- up or down. Trying to fill holes that need star talent with depth picks isn't going to help this team.

This team's defense struggled in part because it was on the field so much due to offensive ineptitude. While the reinforcements may help the team get better with some more 3-and-outs on their part, there has to be some improvement on the offensive side, and they cannot seriously expect leftover-round talent to fix that.

Well I guess everyone has opinions but did STEVE McNair go to a BCS school?
By the way TROY plays a lot of BCS colleges...

Johnny Bugmenot
04-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Well I guess everyone has opinions but did STEVE McNair go to a BCS school?
By the way TROY plays a lot of BCS colleges... It's not about going to a BCS school. It's about how you compete when you're up against a BCS school. Troy went 1-4 against non-Sun Belt teams in 2009, with the only win coming against UAB. They were a strong team in a very weak conference.

JCBills
04-24-2010, 05:44 PM
B+

A+ would have been moving back, taking Hughes and nabbing an extra pick or two.

mysticsoto
04-24-2010, 06:00 PM

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but you shouldn't judge a draft badly b'cse they didn't trade up. First of all, they could address all our holes, there was just NO WAY they could do that all. So they went mostly defense. NT, DEs and OLBs. Our secondary is all set, so that defense should be much better at stopping the run now.

Yes, we didn't get a QB or franchise OT. I suspect their plan might have been to grab a franchise LT if it fell to them, but when they had Spiller fall to them, they just couldn't resist such a high profile dynamic player. In any case, our Oline is better than people are giving it credit for. We remember how it was once injuries decimated it, but we forget how decent it was before those injuries were there. Regardless, they are clearly more committed to the run and if we are happy with FJ, how much more happy should we be considering we have 3 RBs that are outstanding. The fact that they don't want to trade Lynch means they will use all 3...oh, it doesn't hurt that our RBs can catch well too and can be moved all around and all be on the field at the same time.

I gave it an A- draft. I can't really complain about anything. I think Wang might be the weakest pick out of all and he wasn't terrible. We got great value at almost every pick.

I'm already looking forward to Training Camp!!!

ddaryl
04-24-2010, 06:05 PM
In any case, our Oline is better than people are giving it credit for. We remember how it was once injuries decimated it, but we forget how decent it was before those injuries were there. Regardless, they are clearly more committed to the run and if we are happy with FJ, how much more happy should we be considering we have 3 RBs that are outstanding. The fact that they don't want to trade Lynch means they will use all 3...oh, it doesn't hurt that our RBs can catch well too and can be moved all around and all be on the field at the same time.

I want to believe it to be true... are we better? ... remains to be seen.

It comes down to coaching IMO... how good are our coaches?

mysticsoto
04-24-2010, 06:08 PM
I want to believe it to be true... are we better? ... remains to be seen.

It comes down to coaching IMO... how good are our coaches?

By the draft plan they had, I have to say this coaching staff and GM are alot more competent than what we had before. As long as they don't have McGee, McKelvin and that elite group of CBs playing 10-15 yards off receivers, how can it be worse. :)

mysticsoto
04-24-2010, 06:54 PM
ESPN News just slammed us in their evaluation of the draft. The question was, "What teams did you feel didn't do well for themselves in the draft". First, they mentioned Jaguars odd pick in the 1st rd. Then they said, "Outside CJ Spiller, Buffalo didn't do much for themselves. They needed a Left Tackle and a Quarterback and didn't get one"

I assume he means didn't get one worth anything.

No mention that in switching to the 3-4, we needed to fill many holes in the defense. But what do I expect from a 2nd class draft analyst group...

Historian
04-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Solid B.

Now impress me and change the uniforms.

Billz_fan
04-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Im gonna wait on eval. I didn't like some picks but it is what it is and we have some new Bills players now. So I will wait till I see the product on the field to start evaluating players.

Im not saying they gotta win every game or I will assume the draft was crap. I do want to see the team make improvements over the teams Dick fielded. Guys making the same mental mistakes game in and game out. Thats what makes me tear my hair out. Inability to improve from week to week or year to year. If I see we are doing better as a team and evolving then I will let them pick whatever players they want and not whine about them. It's a whole confidence thing, If they do the opposite and this team continues to look the same mess of mental mistakes week in week out then I lose confidence in the staff to do the other tasks needed to move this org forward.

In all I will vote middle of the road for this draft atm.

Buddo
04-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Unfortunately, for some reason NFL.com didn't want to let me watch their coverage yesterday, probably because I'm in the UK, so I had to find a feed for ESPN. They were so bad, I ended up just watching the NFL draft tracker page. In evaluating prospects, Kiper is now becoming increasingly removed from NFL reality.
He's pretty clueless as to who a team will pick once you get past the first round.
Last year, Mayock was giving out a couple of alternatives before each pick was being made, and was pretty much spot on with who was picked.

psubills62
04-24-2010, 09:31 PM
My immediate reaction is a B. It doesn't seem spectacular, but decent. I can't really argue against any of the picks they made, although I would disagree on the apparent priority they placed on some positions.

I really like that they ADDRESSED all of our need positions (except arguably ILB, depending on where Moats plays). However, the question in the next few years will be: did the prospects from this draft actually FILL the need positions?

We got guys at OT, QB, OLB, DE, NT, etc. However, are those guys going to become starters or significant contributors? I think that most of them can, and will get a very good shot at contributing early.

Every one of our picks comes into a good situation. Spiller: will get his touches, even if Jackson remains starter. Troup: no real competition for a true NT. Carrington: young, talented, and transitioning to a 3-4 DE, just like most of our other DL players. Easley: only competition is Steve Johnson and James Hardy. Batten, Moats: probably the only true strong-side OLB's on our roster right now. Levi Brown: probably more talented and younger than all the other QB's on our roster, can work with Cortez and see what happens in a year or two. Kyle Calloway: will at the least provide good depth at multiple positions that have been decimated with injuries the last couple of years (OG, RT).

So I think they did a good job of taking need positions and good players. I'm not ecstatic about the draft, but content for now. I wouldn't be surprised if all of these prospects see decent time on the field in 2010.

ddaryl
04-25-2010, 07:48 AM
seems like most every one is pretty happy..

This is tough one to grade because of the lack of recongnizable names in the 1st 3 rounds outside of Spiller.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat colSpan=4>View Poll Results: How did the Bills draft go in your opinion </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">A nailed it </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar2-l.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar2.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar2-r.gif bills4ver (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=17464), billsfanryan (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=34236), BillsOwnAll (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=493), BillsWin (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=19086), Hamilton Billsfan (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=2165), JOHN DELLAPELLE (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=34090), mysticsoto (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3571), plundar (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=6848), TE2Hard-E81 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=16006)
</TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>9</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>7.96%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">B Great but not awesome </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar3-l.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar3.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar3-r.gif alohabillsfan (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=2200), AndreReed83 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3256), Bendium23 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=31917), better days (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=34014), bigfish2112 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=32058), blln4lyf (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=33933), BoyILuvLoznStupidly (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=32513), Buddo (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=8420), buffalobillsfan95 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=34086), BuffaloBlitz83 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=33021), Bufftp (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=139), cyberelex (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=28737), delectrolux (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=8820), DGreg (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=6593), Dicknoze69 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=152), djjimkelly (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=1305), doug0365 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=7368), DrGraves (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=12256), elkhunter (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=6455), Eric E (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=8858), Forward_Lateral (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3279), Griff (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=15033), gusruck (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=34226), hammerbillsfan (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=5579), HargroveforMVP (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=9203), Historian (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=637), imbondz (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=758), JayWood (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=242), JCBills (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=34361), jimbledsoe (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=31851), joecharb (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3292), JRyan154 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=8165), kcbillsfan (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=34040), lmcshadow (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=11092), Mad Bomber (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=62), malvado78 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=6826), Mark Miller (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=23165), Maximilli (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=27897), mikemac2001 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=949), muestafa1 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=1279), Night Train (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=5327), PA Bills Fan (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=34021), PS17 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=32002), psubills62 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=17098), rcd333 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=8384), robertos (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=9613), SABuffalo786 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=817), sam5767 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=17001), scartown (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=22913), SCHERER (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3823), Slick (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=2227), Slim (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3470), split71 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=7342), sqad5 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4393), T-Long (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=2408), tampabay25690 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3209), The Spaz (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=904), TrEd FTW (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=17546), twintowers913 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=31823), Wagon Circler 22 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=6663), wmoz11 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=16628), YardRat (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4438), zone (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=2727)
</TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>63</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>55.75%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">C Solid </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar4-l.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar4.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar4-r.gif 2Smooth (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=34263), andyxc71 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3591), billsfan0404 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3948), Billz_fan (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=748), BuffaloBillsStampede (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=5534), ddaryl (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4538), dewzze (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=9961), Doctor Zhivago (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=27021), Don't Panic (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=6332), elltrain22 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=2146), elmjoe (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3014), fmr60 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=400), FunTimesYaY! (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=6798), gardner119 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=28591), junkyardwillie (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=32639), keithtr (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4736), Kenny (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3867), keuka4884 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=16955), KO1 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=7643), Luisito23 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=1247), PECKERWOOD (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=7804), raphael120 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=5931), SeatownBillsFan21 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3274), Smell The Glove (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=31297), spacecowboy (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=7718), Strongman (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=6983), tatersalad (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=13041), TonyIncredible (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=35294), VeggieMan14 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=11815)
</TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>29</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>25.66%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">D meh </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar5-l.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar5.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar5-r.gif Bert102176 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=262), Canadian'eh! (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=3318), dreamwalker (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=19010), hey2abills (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=27135), Johnny Bugmenot (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=7039), Mike13 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=5529)
</TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>6</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>5.31%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">E pfffffftttt </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar6-l.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar6.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar6-r.gif Sportsuser101 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4707)
</TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>1</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>0.88%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">F sucked balls </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar1-l.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar1.gifhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/polls/bar1-r.gif BSU Drew (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=8364), Ingtar33 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=362), paladin warrior (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4075), Pecan (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=21665), wozrob11 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=8466)
</TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>5</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>4.42%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

mysticsoto
04-25-2010, 08:26 AM
For the record, the option wasn't there, but my choice is meant to be an A-. I can't find anything to complain about from this draft. With only so many picks, they did what they could. Getting a great LT would have been great, but then it would have meant a hole somewhere else - likely in the defense.

ddaryl
04-25-2010, 08:45 AM
For the record, the option wasn't there, but my choice is meant to be an A-.

Naw...Homie don't play the (-) (+) game. Straight letter grades are sufficient :trance:

DraftBoy
04-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I gave it a solid B.

What I liked-
-Spiller was a fantastic selection, really set the tone for the draft and gave everybody a big FU who thought the Bills were locked into a QB or OT.

-Carrington is a pure 3-4 DE who will spend this year spelling Stroud and Edwards and likely start in year 2. This guys has run stopping and pass rush ability. He is my 2nd favorite pick in this draft.

-Marcus Easley, this guy is a playmaker with great speed, good hands, and best of all run after catch ability. I think he could be a Day 1 starter for us if he has a solid camp. This guy works hard as well, UConn coaches loved this kid.

-Arthur Moats is a little undersized but he is lightning fast and loves to blitz. He is a high impact player, who can really get after the QB.

-Danny Batten is a thumper at LB who could transition to ILB or OLB in our system, he'll take longer to see the field than Moats but could be a good ST'er right off the bat.

-Robert Calloway is a great Brad Butler replacement, he is an OG/OT who could play either side at OG and RT. Great reserve player.

What Im unsure about;
Ed Wang is a guy I think they took a round, if not two, too early, he has light feet but he struggled in pass protection at time at VT. He should be a capable backup in the NFL, but we needed to probably find a new starter there.

Torell Troup is another guy I fear we reached on. He's a likely 2 down player to start off who will not see the field in many passing situations where Kyle Williams can come in. He has very good ability to anchor at the POA but must show a better ability to collapse the pocket if he hopes to ever be more than 2 down player.

Levi Brown is a big kid with an NFL arm but played in a spread system, against a lower level of competition and never wowed people. When playing against higher level competition (Florida, and Bowling Green) he went 36 of 68 (52.9%) for 329 yards, 1 TD and 3 INT's. He's definitely a developmental prospect but I liked a few other prospects better at the QB spot.

Things I hated;
Nothing, I thought this was a very good, well planned draft, a few hiccups where I thought we reached for a lower value guy but nobody is perfect. They got guys I liked and think could be successful in the NFL and thus far our UDFA's have looked incredibly good. Im very impressed with the first Buddy Nix draft!

mysticsoto
04-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Agreed on all points, DB. I think Wang was the weakest pick out of all, but still not horrible. I think Troup was a slight reach also, but if they didn't like Cody b'cse of the risk he represents in his weight control and didn't like the risk of waiting until the 3rd for Troup, then it makes sense. I feel Troup would have likely gone in the late 2nd myself. 4 DTs went after the Troup pick, and there were 3-4 def teams in that mix, so I myself don't feel Troup would have lasted. The only other ideal would have been to trade down but trade deals are easy to talk about afterward...

justasportsfan
04-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Moo Goo Gaipan and Sesame Orange Chicken will be served instead of cheeseburgers. Nice.

DraftBoy
04-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Agreed on all points, DB. I think Wang was the weakest pick out of all, but still not horrible. I think Troup was a slight reach also, but if they didn't like Cody b'cse of the risk he represents in his weight control and didn't like the risk of waiting until the 3rd for Troup, then it makes sense. I feel Troup would have likely gone in the late 2nd myself. 4 DTs went after the Troup pick, and there were 3-4 def teams in that mix, so I myself don't feel Troup would have lasted. The only other ideal would have been to trade down but trade deals are easy to talk about afterward...

On Troup, I understand your point about the run after him on DT's, but given we could of gotten a DT like Arthur Jones or Cam Thomas in Round 5 if we had taken Veldheer or Brown in Round 2.

Like I said its not a huge deal but I do feel like it was a reach.

Bill Cody
04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
round 1- I'm happy we didn't do our usual reach here. I was not a big fan of drafting Spiller but at least this guy is a major talent. I was opposed to drafting Dan Williams at 9 because I felt he'd drop (he did) and I never wanted Clausen. I was having some cold feet about Bulaga's ability to play LT so short of a trade down I'm ok with this pick.

round 2- I like the player but I feel like we took him at least a half round earlier than we needed to so it disapoints me we didn't move down here. I think after the Bills tried and failed to move back into the 1st to draft Dan Williams (my assumption) they felt they HAD to get Troup and they were willing to overpay to do it. There are no guarantees in the draft but it would have been the aggressive play to move down 10 slots or so and pick up a late 3rd.

round 3- Again this was a solid pick at a position of need but I couldn't help feel disapointed we didn't use this pick on Colt McCoy. We aren't going anywhere without a QB and this would have been a steal if McCoy turns out like I think he will.

round 4- solid choice

round 5- not a big Wang fan. He has some upside but a he's a project and he's kind of soft. We'll see.

round 6- Arthur Moats- needed depth

round 6- Danny Batten- more depth

round 7- Levi Brown- worth a shot I guess

round 7- Kyle Calloway- intriguing late pick

so all in all it was ok but nothing really jumps out as a steal. At least Spiller should make Sunday's less boring when we take our beatings. C

TacklingDummy
04-25-2010, 12:17 PM
If the Bills end up with 2 above average starters and 1 average starter out of this draft I'll be happy.

mysticsoto
04-25-2010, 02:53 PM
On Troup, I understand your point about the run after him on DT's, but given we could of gotten a DT like Arthur Jones or Cam Thomas in Round 5 if we had taken Veldheer or Brown in Round 2.

Like I said its not a huge deal but I do feel like it was a reach.

I was actually surprised they didn't take Cam Thomas in the 5th. I probably would have. I know we have many holes to fill, but Cam Thomas backing up Troup would be a very nice DT starter and backup for the next few years. And since the mentality was not a "win now" but rather a rebuilding, I would have jumped on it! The only reason I can think of on why they probably didn't is b'cse Cam may have some motivational issues and being a backup to Troup would likely not help him with that and might actually be detrimental to getting the best game out of him...I like that they got people with good work ethics!

PECKERWOOD
04-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Looking back at it, I really love the Troup selection, mystic brought up a good point, there was a huge run at DT/NT shortly after we took Troup, Buddy Nix got his pick of the litter, so good move. I mocked Troup to us in the 3rd/4th round multiple times, as the draft got closer, it became blatant that he wouldn't be there in the 4th and likely not even be available in the 3rd. Carrington is a good pick, as Marcus Stroud has lost a step and has a fat contract that we should probably relieve ourselves of. Spiller could be our LaDainian Tomlinson and Chris Johnson if he lives up to his status, he upgrades three positions for us and I'm really looking forward to see us run some 2 back sets with Spiller & Freddy.

TheBrownBear
04-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I said sucked balls. I don't really believe that. But I also don't think you can grade a draft for at least two years.

EDS
05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Fun read.

stuckincincy
05-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Spiller was signed for $25M...with $20.3 guaranteed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5442346

Grade?

:kid:

SABURZFAN
05-03-2011, 04:46 PM
close the ****ing poll.