X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buddo
    • Mar 2007

Interesting tidbits from Nix/Gailey presser post draft

Nix basically 'didn't bat an eyelid' over the other QBs taken in other rounds. He did say they sort of mentioned one or two, but they didn't move away from their board.
    I think one day, he will absolutely humiliate Jerry Sullivan, who was trying to bait him about the QBs on the roster.
    While he also said that you can't really tell yet, he felt good about the draft. Said that the players we took, were all graded higher than where we took them, and liked how things panned out for us.
    Both he and Gailey prefer bigger WRs, but that isn't to say that's what they want exclusively.
    Still solid on Lynch staying, and didn't sound as though he was very interested in Jason Campbell, although he outright refused to say if there had been any discussions.
    Calloway will be a Guard.
    Moats will be an ILB, Batten an OLB.
    Easley they see as an outside guy, rather than in the slot.
    Wang is definitely believed to be a LT prospect.
    As regards QB in this draft, they wanted a guy they could develop themselves, over the next couple of years, and Brown was one they liked for that.
    The CBs that they have signed as UDFAs, they actually had draftable grades on.
    Felt they have improved the team, in part by getting bigger and stronger, but also with some speed at a couple of positions.
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Interesting tidbits from Nix/Gailey presser post draft

Good to hear. Probably a decent amount of GM speak (after all, how many GM's actually admit to taking a guy they didn't have highly rated?). However, they did a good job clarifying each prospect's future.

I like that they drafted pretty much one prospect at each position of need. RB, NT, DE, WR, OT, OLB, ILB, OG, QB. Granted, that means you're putting a lot of stock into one player improving that position, but they were able to address a lot of positions all in one draft.

Depending on how many of these guys work out, it could set us up pretty well for next year's draft. We could try going for a New York Jets-like draft (only 3-4 draft picks, but make the most out of them). I wouldn't be surprised to see them try for a franchise QB + a dominant LT or WR next year in the first round or so.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

From what I've heard, the only QB they liked, other than Brown, was Bradford. And Trent Williams and Okung were the only top LT's they liked.

Comment

• billsfanryan
        • Jan 2010

When the Lynch question came I actually started laughing because I thought Nix was about to get up and go punch whoever asked it.

I also found it interesting to hear Gailey say that he prefers and likes big WR's on the outside. I am wondering if that is him saying that if Easley and Hardy can develop that he sees Lee as a slot guy? Or does he want one of those big guys to complement Lee?

Comment

• Oaf
          Do you read what you write?
          • Jun 2007

I'm disappointed to hear Moats will be playing at ILB although I admit I'm no expert on him.

Comment

• Mercy
            • Jul 2005

Hey, Buddo, I like your avatar.
            Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
            Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy

Comment

• Buddo
              • Mar 2007

Something else I forgot to mention, was Gailey being very adamant about competition being open to anyone they sign, including the UDFAs. Basically he said that if it wasn't, we would be doing a disservice to the guys we have brought in.
              This was good to hear. It's also an important statement to be noted in respect of any guy we might try and sign in the future. It's what their agents will want to hear, that they will be given a genuine shot at their position.

Comment

Working...
              X