Roth: Where's the hope now that Buffalo Bills passed on a quarterback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Roth: Where's the hope now that Buffalo Bills passed on a quarterback?

Discuss....
    General manager Buddy Nix and coach Chan Gailey were very happy with the way their first draft with the Buffalo Bills unfolded over the past three days.
    Not as happy as Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm, of course.
    Buffalo's three incumbent veteran quarterbacks let out a collective sigh of relief that traveled further than most of their passes do after management passed on all the big names in one of the more intriguing college quarterback classes in years.
    A rookie who would have instantly become the favorite in the hearts and minds of fans whose Jim Kelly and Doug Flutie jerseys are now tattered and far too tight.
    Nix and Gailey are good football men.
    But now that it's set in stone that Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Brohm will be slugging it out for the starting quarterback job this summer, it just got harder to drink from their Kool-Aid stand.
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...a-quarterback?

• JCBills
    • Jan 2010

Re: Roth: Where's the hope now that Buffalo Bills passed on a quarterback?

People act like drafting QB is an instant fix. If by one of the most intriguing they mean relatively weak, then yeah.

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

So we should have drafted a QB just because he had a "big name" You're stupid Leo Roth

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
        • May 2003

A rookie quarterback would be ruined in this offense, just like Trent Edwards was.

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

I'm extremly happy we didn't shoot our wad on this lack luster QB class... Brown is fine as a late rd pick up project QB.

We can still sign a new vet

AND 2011 QB CLASS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH SWEETER IMO

Will these analysts be quick to praise the Bills for holding off for a year before grabbing that franchise arm ?

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Jan 2010

i personally think edwards will do fine...

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE

It will be interesting to See if Gailey can develope our QB's... We all know Jauron and Co. couldn't

Neither could Williams

Comment

• JCBills
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
                Brrrrooooohhhhmmmmmmm.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Not every draft has QBs that are better options than what we already have. This one was no different. I hate it when people say we failed at the draft because we didn't draft a QB in RD1 or RD2.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                    • Feb 2009

Ya cause a qb would of gotten us to the playoffs. They did it, they built this D up hardcore and I love that fact. Next year we can go into the draft zero'd in on a qb and LT. This draft will allow the rookie qb to have a killer D and an absolutely playmaker on offense.

Comment

• Buddo
                      • Mar 2007

Someone, somewhere along the lines, needs to go up to some of these 'reporters', and give them a good smack upside the head of reality.
                      Most of these guys should know a heck of a lot better than this.
                      Let's see, the Bills have changed their HC and Defensive system. Sounds like a 'rebuilding' project to me.
                      Sure they don't have a recognised 'franchise' QB atm, but it beats me where they were supposed to get one from. There was one QB taken in the first round, who will probably be a 'franchise' QB, providing he stays healthy, in Bradford. The Bills had no chance of trading up to get him.
                      Sure, they could have drafted Tebow, but that represents a wasted pick for two years, minimum, and quite possibly forever.
                      As to the rest of the QB class, it was no way near good enough to look at and think that Clausen, McCoy or any of the others, are obviously going to supplant Edwards or Brohm, in respect of either potential, or ability.
                      The Bills probably don't have their 'franchise' QB on the roster atm, but it still isn't set in stone that they don't. Gailey knows offense. Jauron was totally clueless when it came to that side of the football. Who knows how good one of the QBs might look, given an actual NFL quality offense to run?
                      There's a lot to be said for picking a 'franchise' QB, whenever you have the opportunity to do so. When that opportunity arises and is passed on, is the time to start jumping up and down and screaming and shouting. I didn't see the bills do that this draft.

Comment

• baalworship
                        • May 2003

Great article. He is not criticizing not taking a QB from a football perspective. He is questioning how anyone can get excited about watching the Bills next year knowing we do not have our future QB.

I find it amusing how everyone is forward thinking and fast forwarding to 2011 and 2012 without considering 16 more games of Edwards checking down, injured Edwards, Fitz throwing wildly, or Brohm playing more than 1 game for a whole another year.

From a marketing perspective this is Brandon's worst nightmare.

Two different concepts but both are true. Good draft, terrible product on the field.
                        Last edited by baalworship; 04-25-2010, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• bills4ver
                          • Sep 2008

The thing is that Trent Edwards was a potential MVP candidate just two years ago. Then he gets hurt and then the no huddle crap. The QB's in this year were terrible, we filled alot of holes.

We also have Brohm just in case.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

I really think that our qb's were ruined by crappy coaching. They were coached by qb coaches who have never developed anyone prior to coming here. Then they had to run an offense called by people who never ran a successful offense prior to coming here. Last but not least , they were asked to play not to lose.

There's still potential in the qb's we have and I hope that Cortez and an offensive HC are the fix.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

Leo Roth is the best Bills reporter period.

He's right, there isn't a lot to get excited about, but hey, a lot of unexciting QBs have won Super Bowls.

Jeff Hostetler comes to mind.

Whether the Bills want to use the R word or not, they are clearly rebuilding, (again) and its going to take a few drafts to be a contender again.

Comment

Working...
                              X