PDA

View Full Version : Roth: Where's the hope now that Buffalo Bills passed on a quarterback?

shelby
04-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Discuss....

General manager Buddy Nix and coach Chan Gailey were very happy (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100425/SPORTS03/304250020/1021/Roth--Where-s-the-hope-now-that-Buffalo-Bills-passed-on-a-quarterback?#) with the way their first draft with the Buffalo Bills unfolded over the past three days.
Not as happy as Trent Edwards, Ryan <nobr style="color: darkgreen; font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; font-family: Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif;" id="itxt_nobr_2_0">Fitzpatrickhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif</nobr> (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100425/SPORTS03/304250020/1021/Roth--Where-s-the-hope-now-that-Buffalo-Bills-passed-on-a-quarterback?#) and Brian Brohm, of course.
Buffalo's three incumbent veteran quarterbacks let out a collective sigh of relief that traveled further than most of their passes do after management passed on all the big names in one of the more intriguing college <nobr style="color: darkgreen; font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; font-family: Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif;" id="itxt_nobr_3_0">quarterbackhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif</nobr> (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100425/SPORTS03/304250020/1021/Roth--Where-s-the-hope-now-that-Buffalo-Bills-passed-on-a-quarterback?#) classes in years.
A rookie who would have instantly become the favorite in the hearts and minds of fans whose Jim <nobr style="color: darkgreen; font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; font-family: Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif;" id="itxt_nobr_4_0">Kellyhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif</nobr> (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100425/SPORTS03/304250020/1021/Roth--Where-s-the-hope-now-that-Buffalo-Bills-passed-on-a-quarterback?#) and Doug Flutie jerseys are now tattered and far too tight.
Nix and Gailey are good <nobr style="color: darkgreen; font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; font-family: Arial,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif;" id="itxt_nobr_5_0">footballhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif</nobr> (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100425/SPORTS03/304250020/1021/Roth--Where-s-the-hope-now-that-Buffalo-Bills-passed-on-a-quarterback?#) men.
But now that it's set in stone that Edwards, Fitzpatrick and Brohm will be slugging it out for the starting quarterback job this summer, it just got harder to drink from their Kool-Aid stand. http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100425/SPORTS03/304250020/1021/Roth--Where-s-the-hope-now-that-Buffalo-Bills-passed-on-a-quarterback?

JCBills
04-25-2010, 08:08 AM
People act like drafting QB is an instant fix. If by one of the most intriguing they mean relatively weak, then yeah.

Novacane
04-25-2010, 08:18 AM
So we should have drafted a QB just because he had a "big name" You're stupid Leo Roth :rolleyes:

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-25-2010, 08:19 AM
A rookie quarterback would be ruined in this offense, just like Trent Edwards was.

ddaryl
04-25-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm extremly happy we didn't shoot our wad on this lack luster QB class... Brown is fine as a late rd pick up project QB.

We can still sign a new vet

AND 2011 QB CLASS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH SWEETER IMO

Will these analysts be quick to praise the Bills for holding off for a year before grabbing that franchise arm ?

NOT THE DUDE...
04-25-2010, 08:30 AM
i personally think edwards will do fine...

ddaryl
04-25-2010, 08:39 AM

It will be interesting to See if Gailey can develope our QB's... We all know Jauron and Co. couldn't

Neither could Williams

JCBills
04-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Brrrrooooohhhhmmmmmmm.

jamze132
04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Not every draft has QBs that are better options than what we already have. This one was no different. I hate it when people say we failed at the draft because we didn't draft a QB in RD1 or RD2.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Ya cause a qb would of gotten us to the playoffs. They did it, they built this D up hardcore and I love that fact. Next year we can go into the draft zero'd in on a qb and LT. This draft will allow the rookie qb to have a killer D and an absolutely playmaker on offense.

Buddo
04-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Someone, somewhere along the lines, needs to go up to some of these 'reporters', and give them a good smack upside the head of reality.
Most of these guys should know a heck of a lot better than this.
Let's see, the Bills have changed their HC and Defensive system. Sounds like a 'rebuilding' project to me.
Sure they don't have a recognised 'franchise' QB atm, but it beats me where they were supposed to get one from. There was one QB taken in the first round, who will probably be a 'franchise' QB, providing he stays healthy, in Bradford. The Bills had no chance of trading up to get him.
Sure, they could have drafted Tebow, but that represents a wasted pick for two years, minimum, and quite possibly forever.
As to the rest of the QB class, it was no way near good enough to look at and think that Clausen, McCoy or any of the others, are obviously going to supplant Edwards or Brohm, in respect of either potential, or ability.
The Bills probably don't have their 'franchise' QB on the roster atm, but it still isn't set in stone that they don't. Gailey knows offense. Jauron was totally clueless when it came to that side of the football. Who knows how good one of the QBs might look, given an actual NFL quality offense to run?
There's a lot to be said for picking a 'franchise' QB, whenever you have the opportunity to do so. When that opportunity arises and is passed on, is the time to start jumping up and down and screaming and shouting. I didn't see the bills do that this draft.

baalworship
04-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Great article. He is not criticizing not taking a QB from a football perspective. He is questioning how anyone can get excited about watching the Bills next year knowing we do not have our future QB.

I find it amusing how everyone is forward thinking and fast forwarding to 2011 and 2012 without considering 16 more games of Edwards checking down, injured Edwards, Fitz throwing wildly, or Brohm playing more than 1 game for a whole another year.

From a marketing perspective this is Brandon's worst nightmare.

Two different concepts but both are true. Good draft, terrible product on the field.

bills4ver
04-25-2010, 09:07 AM
The thing is that Trent Edwards was a potential MVP candidate just two years ago. Then he gets hurt and then the no huddle crap. The QB's in this year were terrible, we filled alot of holes.

We also have Brohm just in case.

justasportsfan
04-25-2010, 10:05 AM
I really think that our qb's were ruined by crappy coaching. They were coached by qb coaches who have never developed anyone prior to coming here. Then they had to run an offense called by people who never ran a successful offense prior to coming here. Last but not least , they were asked to play not to lose.

There's still potential in the qb's we have and I hope that Cortez and an offensive HC are the fix.

Historian
04-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Leo Roth is the best Bills reporter period.

He's right, there isn't a lot to get excited about, but hey, a lot of unexciting QBs have won Super Bowls.

Jeff Hostetler comes to mind.

Whether the Bills want to use the R word or not, they are clearly rebuilding, (again) and its going to take a few drafts to be a contender again.

Buddo
04-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Great article. He is not criticizing not taking a QB from a football perspective. He is questioning how anyone can get excited about watching the Bills next year knowing we do not have our future QB.

I find it amusing how everyone is forward thinking and fast forwarding to 2011 and 2012 without considering 16 more games of Edwards checking down, injured Edwards, Fitz throwing wildly, or Brohm playing more than 1 game for a whole another year.

From a marketing perspective this is Brandon's worst nightmare.

Two different concepts but both are true. Good draft, terrible product on the field.

Sorry, but he is criticising not taking a QB. 'Where was the harm in taking McCoy in the third round', possibly not a verbatim quote, but nonetheless accurate in its intent.
What is there for Bills fans to get excited about because they haven't got an identifiable QB. Nix et al couldn't identify a QB they were of the belief that provided an upgrade to what is on the roster, so they didn't pick one high. Simple as. QBs going in the 2nd round onwards, have a decreasingly small % chance of making it in the NFL, which only worsens if they start immediately. Think Bills fans will be content with waiting for Clausen, McCoy, or Tebow to become accomplished enough to start?
The name of the game is to be successful. You don't bring back long term success by squandering early picks on project QBs, unless you already have a guy you know can do the job for a few more years.
Bradford was the QB with the likeliest chance of success in the NFL. Even he is no sure thing. There was no way we could have got him, and still try and fill as many other holes as possible.
Just for once, it looks like the rebuilding of the team is being done the right way. Want something for Bills fans to be excited about? There it is.

YardRat
04-25-2010, 10:18 AM
The D&C sucks balls...Roth and Matthews are Dickerson/Sullivan wannabe's.

SABURZFAN
04-25-2010, 10:28 AM
other than Bradford, i don't think there was a QB in this draft that could be a Day 1 starter for this team. i did think they were going to get Clausen in Round 2 and was surprised when i didn't hear his name. our only hope now is that a QB steps forward and takes the starting job with authority.

acehole
04-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Look would have been nice to get a tebow in the second round to have a guy to "Cheer" for and build around. Fact is we didnt panic and filled some important spots all over the roster. Can't do it all in one draft and we have to many needs to trade away the house. Next years draft is rumored to be very QB rich and we can grab one then. We still have Levi who was highly thought of and might be enough for Gailys offense. We still have Trent (Gasp) and brom. Not like qb is the last missing peice here. Relax people....Clausen is Ryan leaf and Colt is Drew Breez.....and before you say....well whats wrong with Drew brez ...nothing just took him years to get it.....and his arm is not what you look for in the winter winds in Buffalo... so yea would have been nice to draft 8 probowlers at all positions of need,,,but it still isnt realistic. This is the way you build a team. Get CJ spiller get....a compliment for Lee Evans....get a great slot WR.....get a TE that can block and catch some balls....secure the oline.....then pop your young QB in that situation.....instead of hoping that a JP or a Trent can save you from your poor layed out plans to build a franchise. This was a great.....not good draft and I for one am very happy at the approch. Before is all said and done we will probably trade for a QB or LT somwhere before season....if not big deal.

Discuss....
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20100425/SPORTS03/304250020/1021/Roth--Where-s-the-hope-now-that-Buffalo-Bills-passed-on-a-quarterback?

Night Train
04-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I didn't want a NAME QB.

I wanted a QB with actual ability, of which NONE existed.

Waving a broad brush and stating there is always several good QB's in each draft shows complete lack of study.

AndreReed83
04-25-2010, 11:50 AM
There's no way this draft was more QB plentiful up top than the 04 draft was and we all remember how that turned out for Buffalo. I could get on board the Buffalo bashing train for not picking a QB if Clausen and McCoy hadn't dropped so far. Buffalo wasn't the only team that passed on them. The fact that no one traded up to get either player speaks volumes also. I think if they were really highly thought of, someone would have went and got them. It's obvious that the internet draft guru's grades for Clausen and McCoy didn't match NFL draft boards.

Personally, I'm much more happy getting the NT for our 3-4 defense with that 2nd pick.

DraftBoy
04-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Leo Roth is the best Bills reporter period.

He's right, there isn't a lot to get excited about, but hey, a lot of unexciting QBs have won Super Bowls.

Jeff Hostetler comes to mind.

Whether the Bills want to use the R word or not, they are clearly rebuilding, (again) and its going to take a few drafts to be a contender again.

I have to disagree with you, how is there not a lot to be excited for?

We have a QB battle brewing between a QB on his last shot (Edwards), and a QB really getting his first shot (Brohm).

We took the most exciting and dynamic player in the draft in CJ Spiller.

We are transitioning into a far more aggressive 3-4 D, that should reall utilize players like Maybin and Moats.

We have two young OT's that will hopefully develop this coming season and potentially answer a question that we currently don't have an answer for

We may not have an 8-8 team or even a real contender but there is plenty to be excited for!

Historian
04-25-2010, 01:33 PM
If that's what excites you, that's fine.

I still do not think it translates to more than 4 or 5 wins on the field.

Slim
04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I have to disagree with you, how is there not a lot to be excited for?

We have a QB battle brewing between a QB on his last shot (Edwards), and a QB really getting his first shot (Brohm).

We took the most exciting and dynamic player in the draft in CJ Spiller.

We are transitioning into a far more aggressive 3-4 D, that should reall utilize players like Maybin and Moats.

We have two young OT's that will hopefully develop this coming season and potentially answer a question that we currently don't have an answer for

We may not have an 8-8 team or even a real contender but there is plenty to be excited for!

I take it you liked the draft? I'm waiting for some sort of post-draft write up..

DraftBoy
04-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I take it you liked the draft? I'm waiting for some sort of post-draft write up..

Im working on one for Draft Nasty then Ill do one looking at the whole AFCE to post here.

Im commenting on and grading every pick in the draft so its taking me a little longer then I would of liked.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Roth is to the RD&C, is to what Jerry "Negative Nancy" Sullivan is to the Buffalo Snooze :z: the two are :buddies: IMHO Jerry Sullivan is the worst, how Sullivan can still have a job :idunno:

justasportsfan
04-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I still do not think it translates to more than 4 or 5 wins on the field.
we're not expecting to win now. But imagine a future with Spiller as part of the core of this team for years to come.