PDA

View Full Version : Scott Sicko said if he wasn't drafted he wouldn't play

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-25-2010, 07:57 PM
What a dope. He is turning down free agent offers because he wasn't drafted. WAAAA!!!!

It isn't how you get somewhere, it is that you got there. He will regret it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Scott-Sicko-will-take-his-ball-and-go-home?urn=nfl,236491

From Night Train Lane to Kurt Warner(notes), the NFL has been graced with the talents of many undrafted players who went on to Hall of Fame careers. Often, the snubs are used by the players to drive them to greatness, and the resulting successes are often used as inspirational "anything can happen if you work hard enough" fodder for people in every walk of life. Odds are that of the 2010 undrafted class, a handful of players will go on to make significant differences for their teams and for the league.

Here's one thing we know: Scott Sicko will not be one of them. Sicko, a former New Hampshire tight end, made his position clear -- if he was not drafted, he would not play professional football. This despite definite interest from several teams, including the New York Jets, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Dallas Cowboys, after the draft ended.

"Some people will think I'm absolutely out of my mind, and I understand it," Sicko told Mark McGuire of the Albany Times Union on Saturday night. "I completely see where they're coming from. ... If I were to be drafted I would have had more confidence of a much longer career in the NFL. I have to look at my life and decide what will make me the happiest. And the thing that will make me the happiest now and in the long run is to pursue my education."

wmoz11
04-25-2010, 07:59 PM
It's better to sign an UDFA contract than be drafted in the 7th round. You have just about the same security and you get to pick where you go.

Not sure what he's thinking.

YardRat
04-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Dumbass.

But, if he's happy, that's all that counts.

BillsWin
04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Sorry, I can't fault him with his decision to pursue his education over what would most likely NOT be a long, successful career in the NFL.

Undrafted free agents have a difficult time catching on in the NFL. A team doesn't tend to give you the same amount of coaching and attention when they didn't spend a draft pick on you.

Your pay sucks, and you are often times just shoved on the practice squad.

If he feels that he could be more successful by pursuing other fields of employment, I don't think anyone should fault him on that.

Sure, its the majority of young men's dreams to one day play professional sports, but its not for everybody.

Cntrygal
04-25-2010, 08:03 PM
:rofl:

DraftBoy
04-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Sorry, I can't fault him with his decision to pursue his education over what would most likely NOT be a long, successful career in the NFL.

Undrafted free agents have a difficult time catching on in the NFL. A team doesn't tend to give you the same amount of coaching and attention when they didn't spend a draft pick on you.

Your pay sucks, and you are often times just shoved on the practice squad.

If he feels that he could be more successful by pursuing other fields of employment, I don't think anyone should fault him on that.

Sure, its the majority of young men's dreams to one day play professional sports, but its not for everybody.

I have to disagree with you on that point;

The minimum salary from 2008 to 2010 is $5,200 per week (2008-2010)[2] for 17 weeks, or $88,400 per season, in comparison to the NFL minimum rookie salary of $285,000. (Some practice squad players are paid considerably more)

Not to mention the signing bonus almost all UDFA's get, even if its only 5-10K.

Ill take 88K a year to be on somebody's practice squad.

BillsWin
04-25-2010, 08:10 PM

Thanks for educating me DB.

I thought it was considerably less.

Bill Cody
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM

He has to be a real sicko to pass that up.:sorry:

LtFinFan66
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Devon Bess

Oaf
04-25-2010, 08:32 PM
No one makes a career living off of being a P-squader. You're either on your way up or you're on your way out. When he's out (most, most likely), he's education and real career are ******ed by that many months or years.

DraftBoy
04-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for educating me DB.

I thought it was considerably less.

Well it is 200k less (roughly) than the NFL minimum so it is in comparison to NFL level income. But to us Joe Schmoes, its quite high.

Buffalogic
04-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Ya maybe the dude is super smart and has other options besides working like a dog in camp just to get cut.

The Spaz
04-25-2010, 08:38 PM
To not even try is dumb.

psubills62
04-25-2010, 08:44 PM

The only problem is - what's his major? I didn't read the article, so I don't know. However, at that salary, I don't think the negatives of the NFL (wear on your body, shorter life span, much, much less job security even in this economy) can make up for going on for a higher degree in some field and earning ~90,000 per year.

After all, I've seen people graduate in 3 years with their Ph.D's and I've also seen what a lot of public University professors make. He could earn that easily, though, like I said, it depends on his field.

Oaf
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Devon Bess
Ted Ginn.

Oh wait.

BertSquirtgum
04-25-2010, 09:18 PM
what a ****ing schmoehawk. he needs to get over it real quick.

msfdurango
04-25-2010, 09:29 PM
The only problem is - what's his major? I didn't read the article, so I don't know. However, at that salary, I don't think the negatives of the NFL (wear on your body, shorter life span, much, much less job security even in this economy) can make up for going on for a higher degree in some field and earning ~90,000 per year.

After all, I've seen people graduate in 3 years with their Ph.D's and I've also seen what a lot of public University professors make. He could earn that easily, though, like I said, it depends on his field.I believe the article said he was majoring in history

DraftBoy
04-25-2010, 09:35 PM

After all, I've seen people graduate in 3 years with their Ph.D's and I've also seen what a lot of public University professors make. He could earn that easily, though, like I said, it depends on his field.

True but if he were to make it in the NFL even as a #3 TE and make around 500K a year for 5-7 years he'd make more doing that then he would in 10-14 years a professor.

Im not hating on the kid for going to grad school, Im just say economically speaking if he made it he would make much much more.

Goobylal
04-25-2010, 09:49 PM
What's the harm in giving it a shot for a year and THEN going to grad school? Dumb.

And because he wasn't taken in the 7th, it's not worth it? Most 7th rounders don't stand a chance either, and as someone said, at least as an UDFA you can pick where you want to go. Dumb.

psubills62
04-25-2010, 09:57 PM
I believe the article said he was majoring in history

OK, in that case forget what I said.

patmoran2006
04-25-2010, 11:15 PM
The great thing about your education is there is no age limit as to when you can continue it.

He's still young.. If the NFL thing dont work out after 3 or so years he can go back to school and pursue his education and still live a full adult life.

This kid is stupid, ironic when the topic is education.

jamze132
04-26-2010, 07:08 AM
No one makes a career living off of being a P-squader. You're either on your way up or you're on your way out. When he's out (most, most likely), he's education and real career are ******ed by that many months or years.
I agree, but if you save most of that money, you are then in a better position to not live off of the government.

Not saying that he will though...

TigerJ
04-26-2010, 08:43 AM
If his decision is based on sour grapes, it's stupid. If he has made a decision that the odds of actually being able to have an NFL career are so low that he's better off getting on with the rest of his life, that may in fact be sensible. The only thing I wonder is if he might be able to sign a contract that would give him a jump start on financing what he wants to do after football.

LarryBoy
04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Im disappointed.....hes my Brother in laws cousin.....would have been nice to get some tickets if he made is somewhere.....maybe he will change his mind.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Another take on this kid:

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/64015/discarding_his_nfl_dream_doesnt_make_scott_sicko_a_role_model

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-26-2010, 05:49 PM
peter kings wrote about him and after reading the story I support his decision... seems to be thinking clearly and reasonably.

The Spaz
04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
He signed with Dallas today.

patmoran2006
04-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Peer pressure (and common sense)

Lexwhat
04-27-2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817d460c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Ron Burgundy
04-27-2010, 11:41 PM
peter kings wrote about him and after reading the story I support his decision... seems to be thinking clearly and reasonably.

He signed with Dallas today.

:rofl: Way to go, Petey. You ****tard.

BertSquirtgum
04-28-2010, 12:07 AM
peter king is a doofus

Ron Burgundy
04-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Christ, it must be annoying writer night.

I'm very glad that I'm not stupid enough to click on some of these links. Otherwise, I would've had to slog through both Peter King's ******ed treacle, and the two paragraphs of Bills talk sandwiched between Easterbrook's anti-Semitism and his pseudo-science.

I wish David Foster Wallace was alive so I could punch him in the dick for killing himself, because this is the type of **** people think is worthwhile these days.

Total ****ing bummer.

BillyT92679
04-28-2010, 09:11 AM

It's good money
A few years ago, like six or seven, the Bills released the signing bonus for a few UDFAs. It was like 25 grand.
That's chump change for NFL football players but a year's salary for a lot of people.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-28-2010, 09:20 AM
lol peter king really knows nothing