X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Scott Sicko said if he wasn't drafted he wouldn't play

What a dope. He is turning down free agent offers because he wasn't drafted. WAAAA!!!!

It isn't how you get somewhere, it is that you got there. He will regret it.

From Night Train Lane to Kurt Warner(notes), the NFL has been graced with the talents of many undrafted players who went on to Hall of Fame careers. Often, the snubs are used by the players to drive them to greatness, and the resulting successes are often used as inspirational "anything can happen if you work hard enough" fodder for people in every walk of life. Odds are that of the 2010 undrafted class, a handful of players will go on to make significant differences for their teams and for the league.

Here's one thing we know: Scott Sicko will not be one of them. Sicko, a former New Hampshire tight end, made his position clear -- if he was not drafted, he would not play professional football. This despite definite interest from several teams, including the New York Jets, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Dallas Cowboys, after the draft ended.

"Some people will think I'm absolutely out of my mind, and I understand it," Sicko told Mark McGuire of the Albany Times Union on Saturday night. "I completely see where they're coming from. ... If I were to be drafted I would have had more confidence of a much longer career in the NFL. I have to look at my life and decide what will make me the happiest. And the thing that will make me the happiest now and in the long run is to pursue my education."
  • wmoz11
    • Sep 2008

Re: Scott Sicko said if he wasn't drafted he wouldn't play

It's better to sign an UDFA contract than be drafted in the 7th round. You have just about the same security and you get to pick where you go.

Not sure what he's thinking.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Dumbass.

But, if he's happy, that's all that counts.
      Last edited by YardRat; 04-25-2010, 08:01 PM.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BillsWin
        man amongst boys
        • Oct 2008

Sorry, I can't fault him with his decision to pursue his education over what would most likely NOT be a long, successful career in the NFL.

Undrafted free agents have a difficult time catching on in the NFL. A team doesn't tend to give you the same amount of coaching and attention when they didn't spend a draft pick on you.

Your pay sucks, and you are often times just shoved on the practice squad.

If he feels that he could be more successful by pursuing other fields of employment, I don't think anyone should fault him on that.

Sure, its the majority of young men's dreams to one day play professional sports, but its not for everybody.
        Last edited by BillsWin; 04-25-2010, 08:03 PM.
        I am The Batman.

Comment

• Cntrygal
          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon
          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsWin
            Sorry, I can't fault him with his decision to pursue his education over what would most likely NOT be a long, successful career in the NFL.

Undrafted free agents have a difficult time catching on in the NFL. A team doesn't tend to give you the same amount of coaching and attention when they didn't spend a draft pick on you.

Your pay sucks, and you are often times just shoved on the practice squad.

If he feels that he could be more successful by pursuing other fields of employment, I don't think anyone should fault him on that.

Sure, its the majority of young men's dreams to one day play professional sports, but its not for everybody.
            I have to disagree with you on that point;
            The minimum salary from 2008 to 2010 is $5,200 per week (2008-2010)[2] for 17 weeks, or $88,400 per season, in comparison to the NFL minimum rookie salary of $285,000. (Some practice squad players are paid considerably more)
            Not to mention the signing bonus almost all UDFA's get, even if its only 5-10K.

Ill take 88K a year to be on somebody's practice squad.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BillsWin
              man amongst boys
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by DraftBoy

Thanks for educating me DB.

I thought it was considerably less.
              I am The Batman.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

He has to be a real sicko to pass that up.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                  • Mar 2005

Devon Bess

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

No one makes a career living off of being a P-squader. You're either on your way up or you're on your way out. When he's out (most, most likely), he's education and real career are ******ed by that many months or years.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsWin
                      Thanks for educating me DB.

I thought it was considerably less.

Well it is 200k less (roughly) than the NFL minimum so it is in comparison to NFL level income. But to us Joe Schmoes, its quite high.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Buffalogic
                        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                        • Feb 2006

Ya maybe the dude is super smart and has other options besides working like a dog in camp just to get cut.

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

To not even try is dumb.

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

The only problem is - what's his major? I didn't read the article, so I don't know. However, at that salary, I don't think the negatives of the NFL (wear on your body, shorter life span, much, much less job security even in this economy) can make up for going on for a higher degree in some field and earning ~90,000 per year.

After all, I've seen people graduate in 3 years with their Ph.D's and I've also seen what a lot of public University professors make. He could earn that easily, though, like I said, it depends on his field.
                            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Oaf
                              Do you read what you write?
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
                              Devon Bess
                              Ted Ginn.

Oh wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X