• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

my quick take analysis on Blls draft

I didnt get a chance to comment any on the Bills chance (I will be writing about it this coming week), due to the fact I was hospitalized this weekend with an infection that stemmed from an absess (not fun at all)

I just wanted to say that overall, I really liked the Bills draft. I love the Spiller pick and am completely on board with why Nix took him. I really, really like the Carrington pick in the third round, and though I didnt know anything about him at the time, Easley sounds like a real sleeper in the fourth.

I'll be writing more this week and hopefully can provide some better insight, but this was my only real problem with the draft..

1- I dont like the Troup pick in round two. It's not that I dont like Troup, but I dont like the pick at #41. To me, this was a spot where Nix shoudl've went with charles brown when he as there, or maybe even that OT that Denver took from Utah.

Buffalo could've went LT in round two and instead of Wang, a big time project in the fifth round, they could've still had Cam Thomas, an even bigger DT that went to San Diego and will probably be very good.

My problem again isnt so much with Troup, but especially after Nix said he'll rotate with Kyle Williams, my view is WTF you taking a rotational tackle that high in the draft.

Teams that are established like Pittsburgh, NE, etc that luxury, we dont. We need full time starters with our earliest picks.

The other thing I'm completely baffled about is why the Bills didnt trade Marshawn Lynch BEFORE the draft.

Look, its coming out now that Buddy Nix had Spiller targeted as THEIR guy coming in, that was evidenced by him taking less than 2 minutes to get that pick to the podium.

By that time, Lynch's stock went from very bad, to complete ****.

The Nix statement and some reports that the Blls didnt want to trade Lynch are NOT true. The problem is Nix thought he could get 2008 Lynch trade value, not 2010.

At the end of the day, this guy will end up getting cut if he doesnt get shipped somewhere (and I think he will still). If you thought his attitude was sour before, after getting beat out by Jackson, can you imagine how he'll be when he's running third team 'scout' offense?

OVerall, very good draft IMO ( I dont do draft grades anymore---ridiculous to grade guys that haven't played. Troup was the only pick I have a problem with, for the above explained reason.

Maybe he'll become a stud, I dunno..

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Re: my quick take analysis on Blls draft

No offense Pat, but I think you are wrong about Troup. Maybe we took him a little high, but he was exactly what OBD wanted in their NT. He can play 3 downs when called upon, he's stout against the run, not a prima donna, no weight issues, good work ethic, high character.

We do agree on Carrington though. Aside from Spiller he is my favorite pick. I think he will start very soon. I also think him and Dwan Edwards, with Troup, gives us the needed beef up front.

Easley in my opinion, will be our No. 2 wide receiver eventually. Whether that is in week one, week 4, week 8 or next season.

After watching his highlights, I think he is going to be a good one.

I hope you're feeling better Pat. I've gotten bad infections before. Not fun my friend.
    I am The Batman.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Cool to disagree.

My post wasnt very well written, in my defense, im still very much under the weather, just starving to talk about sports.

I think your missing my point on Troup.. Not dismissing his talent, I dont like using the 41st pick on a guy who's going to play at most probably half the defensive snaps (thats how Nix made it seem)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• JCBills
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        I didnt get a chance to comment any on the Bills chance (I will be writing about it this coming week), due to the fact I was hospitalized this weekend with an infection that stemmed from an absess (not fun at all)

I just wanted to say that overall, I really liked the Bills draft. I love the Spiller pick and am completely on board with why Nix took him. I really, really like the Carrington pick in the third round, and though I didnt know anything about him at the time, Easley sounds like a real sleeper in the fourth.

I'll be writing more this week and hopefully can provide some better insight, but this was my only real problem with the draft..

1- I dont like the Troup pick in round two. It's not that I dont like Troup, but I dont like the pick at #41. To me, this was a spot where Nix shoudl've went with charles brown when he as there, or maybe even that OT that Denver took from Utah.

Buffalo could've went LT in round two and instead of Wang, a big time project in the fifth round, they could've still had Cam Thomas, an even bigger DT that went to San Diego and will probably be very good.

My problem again isnt so much with Troup, but especially after Nix said he'll rotate with Kyle Williams, my view is WTF you taking a rotational tackle that high in the draft.

Teams that are established like Pittsburgh, NE, etc that luxury, we dont. We need full time starters with our earliest picks.

The other thing I'm completely baffled about is why the Bills didnt trade Marshawn Lynch BEFORE the draft.

Look, its coming out now that Buddy Nix had Spiller targeted as THEIR guy coming in, that was evidenced by him taking less than 2 minutes to get that pick to the podium.

By that time, Lynch's stock went from very bad, to complete ****.

The Nix statement and some reports that the Blls didnt want to trade Lynch are NOT true. The problem is Nix thought he could get 2008 Lynch trade value, not 2010.

At the end of the day, this guy will end up getting cut if he doesnt get shipped somewhere (and I think he will still). If you thought his attitude was sour before, after getting beat out by Jackson, can you imagine how he'll be when he's running third team 'scout' offense?

OVerall, very good draft IMO ( I dont do draft grades anymore---ridiculous to grade guys that haven't played. Troup was the only pick I have a problem with, for the above explained reason.

Maybe he'll become a stud, I dunno..
        Pat, just about every NT in the league rotates heavily. A defense will see over 1,000 snaps a season, and a two gapping NT starter will play 450-600 of those. The #2 is VERY important. Thing is Troup is probably the starter playing in our biggest position of need on D. If you watched some UCF games and some UNC games you would know why Troup came off the board first. So I guess you don't really have a reason to not like the pick.

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

Cool to disagree.

My post wasnt very well written, in my defense, im still very much under the weather, just starving to talk about sports.

I think your missing my point on Troup.. Not dismissing his talent, I dont like using the 41st pick on a guy who's going to play at most probably half the defensive snaps (thats how Nix made it seem)
          I think he'll get more snaps than say Cody would have.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Its good to keep defensive lineman fresh. This way Kyle Williams won't be in there all the time. He's too small for that kind of punishment.

I see your point though. Top 50 picks should see the field A LOT.

But, like I said, I think he is going to play more than most of us would suspect.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• JCBills
            • Jan 2010

Cool to disagree.

Pat.....

How many players can take on two blockers every play of every game? Just about nobody, it doesn't work like that. Not with the down 3 in a 3-4. All 3 positions are heavily rotated. Look at New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and so on. Wilfork, Ngata, Hampton.....all see about 450-550 snaps a season. Thing with Troup is he has the potential to be a 3 down NT, which is rare.

Comment

• JCBills
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsWin
              I think he'll get more snaps than say Cody would have.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Its good to keep defensive lineman fresh. This way Kyle Williams won't be in there all the time. He's too small for that kind of punishment.

I see your point though. Top 50 picks should see the field A LOT.

But, like I said, I think he is going to play more than most of us would suspect.
              Cody averaged about 25 snaps a game at Alabama. Troup almost never came off the field.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsWin
                No offense Pat, but I think you are wrong about Troup. Maybe we took him a little high, but he was exactly what OBD wanted in their NT. He can play 3 downs when called upon, he's stout against the run, not a prima donna, no weight issues, good work ethic, high character.

We do agree on Carrington though. Aside from Spiller he is my favorite pick. I think he will start very soon. I also think him and Dwan Edwards, with Troup, gives us the needed beef up front.

Easley in my opinion, will be our No. 2 wide receiver eventually. Whether that is in week one, week 4, week 8 or next season.

After watching his highlights, I think he is going to be a good one.

I hope you're feeling better Pat. I've gotten bad infections before. Not fun my friend.
                No he can't he's a two down player who has not shown the ability to consistently collapse the pocket against a DT in passing downs. He will play 1st and 2nd down for Buffalo and then rotate out on 3rd downs for KW.

I know JCBills will disagree with me on this, but right now until he gets stronger and learns how to collapse more consistently he will not likely be on the field in 3rd and passing. In college he played with some great fellow lineman which helped him out a good deal, he won't have that benefit here.

The pick was a reach, imo. I know there was a run on DT's after him but given Jones was available in the 5th and the wealth of NT prospects avail in UDFA, he was a pick I would take back if I had the chance.

That all being said his potential is very good and he one day could be a 3 down NT, but right now he is not.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Jan 2010

troup will start on run downs, williams on passing downs...

Comment

• JCBills
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                    No he can't he's a two down player who has not shown the ability to consistently collapse the pocket against a DT in passing downs. He will play 1st and 2nd down for Buffalo and then rotate out on 3rd downs for KW.

I know JCBills will disagree with me on this, but right now until he gets stronger and learns how to collapse more consistently he will not likely be on the field in 3rd and passing. In college he played with some great fellow lineman which helped him out a good deal, he won't have that benefit here.

The pick was a reach, imo. I know there was a run on DT's after him but given Jones was available in the 5th and the wealth of NT prospects avail in UDFA, he was a pick I would take back if I had the chance.

That all being said his potential is very good and he one day could be a 3 down NT, but right now he is not.
                    Haha thing is DB I don't disagree.

You know I was hoping for Troup, but I know he isn't going to be a 3 down NT off the bat. He has the potential of course, but I know that for now it'll be a steady Troup/Williams rotation with Williams probably playing every passing down, which could actually work out very well and I think be a good duo for a long time.

Comment

• Spiderweb
                      ....formerly OhBF
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by JCBills
                      Haha thing is DB I don't disagree.

You know I was hoping for Troup, but I know he isn't going to be a 3 down NT off the bat. He has the potential of course, but I know that for now it'll be a steady Troup/Williams rotation with Williams probably playing every passing down, which could actually work out very well and I think be a good duo for a long time.
                      I think we're putting the cart in front of the the hores at this point. Williams most assuredly is the starter and Troup will have to out play him for the role. Lets not
                      shove Williams to the bench just yet. I hope Troup does just that, as I don't believe Williams will be successful as a NT, and certainly not as a DE except in short yardage situations possibly.

I like Williams, but his playing time will likely reduce as the season progresses, barring injuries.
                      Spiderweb

Need a Hero? Try looking within your
                      own family. You might be surprised.

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

Cool to disagree.

That is why I was a big proponent of a rush OLB early with NT being more like 4th or so in terms of draft priority. The more I hear about Troup, the more I like the pick. Seems like getting a quality DT to split snaps with Williams also makes Williams better for his half too.

And while Cam Thomas was a good looking NT prospect, even above Joseph in my mind, 32 GMs don't lie when they let him drop to the 6th.

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

Unless we get a decent offer for Lynch, he isn't going anywhere. He isn't going to be released, I don't care what Pat's "sources" say.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

I love the Troup and Carrington picks, but in all honesty if we had taken an OT in the second and NT a little later it wouldn't have broken my heart.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Pre-Draft Ratings by position are subjective and this whole " value " thingy can be way over the top, more often than not.

Example - If the Bills believe Troup is a better selection at NT than the other NT's picked around him like Cody, Joseph etc., then I'm going to have faith that the film showed Troup could do far more than the other guys. Troup was defintely one of the ones that was acceptable at NT and I'm excited the Bills see something in him to make him their starter. I believe Kyle Williams is nothing more than a guy to give Troup a breather every few plays.

Carrington had already impressed the Bills in game film and then impressed the entire NFL at the Senior Bowl. Pat Kirwan thinks we stole this guy in Round 3, since he fits the 3-4 DE slot to the letter.

We got 2 big guys up front, to go with Dwan Edwards in Free Agency. We drafted 2 big hitters at LB and signed another from Auburn yesterday, in addition to adding Davis at ILB in FA. The front 7 is being transformed to the new scheme in a big hurry. Good !

The shortage of picks and talent means quality was not added at QB and LT.
                              Obviously, Bulaga was not seen as the answer at LT and Saffold went immediately in Round 2. That ended any hope of getting a LT in the draft who could step in immediately as a starter. Doesn't mean we still can't call the Ravens about Gaither or the Saint about Jammal Brown.

Love the WR selection. The Iowa OT can be a backup at RT and either OG position, so he's useful. Not so sure about Wang but I'll defer to the Bills on that one.

This QB class was full of absolute frauds up top . I'd like to punch NFL Networks Rich Eisen for screaming " CLAUSEN ! " like a schoolgirl before our first 2 picks. I'm hoping someone like Brohm can step forward and keep Trentative off the field.

Spiller is worth my ticket for each game. After sitting through that 6-3 Cleveland loss, I can completely understand that pick after the 2 big OT's were gone. Jauron would hate Spiller, since he'd ruin all his plans for a long FG attempt.

I'm pretty pleased and realistic that this rebuilding process is 2 years +. Nix said as much on Thursday, when basically stating that if picks were based on need, we'd have 3 in every round. That should be a wakeup call to all. He and Gailey are trying to clean up the 10 year mess and they need a little more than 4 months.

Good draft. Good start to the rebuild of doing thing RIGHT !
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X