PDA

View Full Version : Why not Meredith at LT?

homeslice5484
04-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I know he played against backups vs Indy....but I don't think he played too bad last season when he was used. However, I am not an expert and I don't know too much about him.

Height: 6-5
Weight:304

THATHURMANATOR
04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Why not make it an open Competition and the best man wins.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-26-2010, 11:30 AM
i think wang will develop and sit for one year, while meredith and bell will compete.. bell will probably win.

T-Long
04-26-2010, 11:33 AM
I think the mindset is to bring in as many guys to compete as possible and let them earn the job. That is the best approach and one that they are going to implement. It's the only way to go IMO

DraftBoy
04-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Meredith has LT ability and size but his feet are a little slow.

Ron Burgundy
04-26-2010, 11:36 AM
An open competition, at all positions, is of course the way to go.

Now, to answer the original question:

1) Looked slow at RT last year, and he's going to man the quick side?
2) Leaned and shoved and got winded easily
3) Much like our other offensive line replacements, he showed an overall lack of talent that was tough to ignore.

homeslice5484
04-26-2010, 11:38 AM

3) Much like our other offensive line replacements, he showed an overall lack of talent that was tough to ignore.

Interesting...I honestly could not remember much cause he didn't play all that much. I just remembered his last game vs. Indy.

Beebe's Kid
04-26-2010, 11:42 AM

That's interesting...this same question was brought up not long ago, and it was Meredith that beat out Bell hands down.

Since I am not able to see exactly what linemen do on every play, I understood, from what I read, that he showed real promise, and would probably continue to improve.

ddaryl
04-26-2010, 11:44 AM
we need to bring in a vet here. I hope we can swing a deal for a LT before the seaosn starts

Ron Burgundy
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Interesting...I honestly could not remember much cause he didn't play all that much. I just remembered his last game vs. Indy.

Notes from the 2009 Buffalo Bills offensive line:

If Demetrius Bell continues to get stronger, and if he can ever learn how to ****ing launch on a snap count properly, he should be decent.

Wood and Levitre have much more potential than any of the tackles.

Hangartner was okay. Servicable but you can find better starters. He's a good dude to have on the squad, though, because he can back up the interior line in several spots if he's not starting.

Butler's retired so bon voyage there.

Every single other player who saw the field...Kirk Chambers, Jon Scott, Jamon Meredith, Richie Incognito, Christian Gaddis, et cetera...has no business starting on anyone's offensive line and a few of them shouldn't even be second stringers. Kirk's got good value as a backup at multiple positions a la Hang, though.

Ron Burgundy
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
That's interesting...this same question was brought up not long ago, and it was Meredith that beat out Bell hands down.

Since I am not able to see exactly what linemen do on every play, I understood, from what I read, that he showed real promise, and would probably continue to improve.

I'd love to read what you've read, if you have a link. I mean, I've read some random posters here talking about how good some of these guys look, but they're obviously insane and/or didn't watch any games.

A huge part of Bell's problem is that he's a penalty machine, and it's just crushing.

There is no doubt that Buffalo is short on quality offensive linemen, and we haven't rectified it completely yet. If we can't stay healthy, and if we don't get some good growth out of the current players, it's going to be another really, really long season offensively.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-26-2010, 12:07 PM
In four starts Meredith did not surrendor a sack so he could be a LT but I like him as the future RT. I think Bell wins the job and I just pray he gained 15 pounds of muscle and we can correct his penalties.

homeslice5484
04-26-2010, 12:11 PM
So I guess from what I read, Meredith at this point is best suited as a swing tackle to backup both spots with good potential at RT?

Michael82
04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
I've been saying this for a while. I love both him and Bell and feel that Meredith showed a ton of potential in his 1st season. I'm definitely intrigued with him at LT. Let them all compete for it.

Pinkerton Security
04-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah I think he played serviceably last year, which for a rook isnt bad at all, especially considering the ridiculous amount of variation our line saw last year.

Lexwhat
04-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Honestly, I think this is all wishful thinking...

We did have a good draft, but unfortunately, we simply had too many holes to fill. Our O-Tackle situation is hardly any different than it was last season. Several of our guys have potential, but IMO, NONE of them are serviceable enough to be starters this season.

I know we are going for a Youth movement, but a stopgap LT (Flozell Adams?) would make a lot of sense. As of right now, we will still have the worst pair of starting OTs in the entire league.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-26-2010, 01:27 PM
My bad Meredith had 2 sacks but no penalities in 264 snaps, that's impressive. So in a full season with the Bills, based of Levitres 850 snaps, Jamon would of given up 6.5 sacks. I'd take that.

Lexwhat
04-26-2010, 01:29 PM
I also wouldn't mind Alan Faneca as a stopgap Guard (1-2 years). Eric Wood may not be 100% until, say, the middle of the season.

Once Wood is healthy again, move him to Center and keep Hangartner as a backup.

I hope our 2011 Draft is heavy on Offense, especially the Offensive Line.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-26-2010, 01:31 PM
I also wouldn't mind Alan Faneca as a stopgap Guard (1-2 years). Eric Wood may not be 100% until, say, the middle of the season.

Once Wood is healthy again, move him to Center and keep Hangartner as a backup.

I hope our 2011 Draft is heavy on Offense, especially the Offensive Line.

dude for the 100th time.... wood will be 100% for camp... its been reported like a million times... hes fine...

NOT THE DUDE...
04-26-2010, 01:32 PM
if anything faneca would be a backup on this team, hes washed up man...

Lexwhat
04-26-2010, 01:39 PM
dude for the 100th time.... wood will be 100% for camp... its been reported like a million times... hes fine...

You sound like: :op:

This is the 1st time (maybe 2nd?) I've even commented on Eric Wood. You act like someone told me this before and I haven't been listening...

But okay, if it's been reported "like a million times," then show me 2 reputable links.

HAMMER
04-26-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't think you can expect much from Bell this year. Every player in the NFL thinks they can come back from a blown knee in a year, very few can. Especially at a position that requires so much leverage.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-26-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/30/1004397/bills-wood-getting-back-on-feet.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gkyDCSb0fRpp0WLX6rN_hf63mUXA

NOT THE DUDE...
04-26-2010, 02:00 PM
You sound like: :op:

This is the 1st time (maybe 2nd?) I've even commented on Eric Wood. You act like someone told me this before and I haven't been listening...

But okay, if it's been reported "like a million times," then show me 2 reputable links.

are u even following the news at all???????????????????????

Lexwhat
04-26-2010, 02:08 PM
are u even following the news at all???????????????????????

First of all, the links you provided just show that he is aiming to be ready for the season opener. There is nothing definitive saying he will definitely START on Day 1. It's all "hope" for Wood at this point.

Like the articles say, there is the distinct possibility of "setbacks."

And yes, I do follow the news, but I don't particularly pay attention to see how a single Bills player is progressing with his rehab.

JCBills
04-26-2010, 03:05 PM
i think wang will develop and sit for one year, while meredith and bell will compete.. bell will probably win.

I have absolutely no idea why you constantly think Bell is better than Meredith. Bell was TERRIBLE.

Buffalogic
04-26-2010, 03:12 PM
The worst thing about Bell was his penalties. That's something he can correct if he works hard enough. He can play LT if he minimizes the penalties.

JCBills
04-26-2010, 03:28 PM

I don't know why you really don't like Meredith and Brohm. Pretty sure you're the one who thinks Brohm is first to get cut.

Meredith actually looked pretty good out there, I don't know what you were watching, but he held Julius Peppers to a pedestrian day in the Carolina game, not bad for your second career start. The most action he saw was the first Jets game, Carolina, and Indy. Yeah, it wasn't the prettiest performance, but he more than held his own, and outright dominated Indy's #2s. Yeah, #2s, but he's a rookie. He has all the measurables, he has the athleticism, if he continues to get better he's as legit of an LT prospect as almost anyone. If he can become more consistent, improve his foot speed, and keep refining what he has so far, I think he's our best chance at a decent to good LT this season. His feet can't be that slow with a 5.03 40 time.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-26-2010, 06:25 PM
nfl network just reported that flozell adams will sign with the bears or bills this week...

lordofgun
04-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Meredith has LT ability and size but his feet are a little slow.
If I was his coach, I'd tell him to move his feet faster.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-26-2010, 06:28 PM
nfl network just reported that flozell adams will sign with the bears or bills this week...

Seriously, that's interesting news. He's going to chose Chicago but were a better fit.

Ron Burgundy
04-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't know why you really don't like Meredith and Brohm. Pretty sure you're the one who thinks Brohm is first to get cut.

Meredith actually looked pretty good out there, I don't know what you were watching, but he held Julius Peppers to a pedestrian day in the Carolina game, not bad for your second career start. The most action he saw was the first Jets game, Carolina, and Indy. Yeah, it wasn't the prettiest performance, but he more than held his own, and outright dominated Indy's #2s. Yeah, #2s, but he's a rookie. He has all the measurables, he has the athleticism, if he continues to get better he's as legit of an LT prospect as almost anyone. If he can become more consistent, improve his foot speed, and keep refining what he has so far, I think he's our best chance at a decent to good LT this season. His feet can't be that slow with a 5.03 40 time.

Meredith, on almost any other team, is a backup at best. If it weren't for the injury to Butler, he'd still be sitting on Green Bay's practice squad.

I dunno if Brohm's the first player to get the axe, but he's certainly in the mix. Why would it shock you if he gets cut? It's not like it's his first time.

JCBills
04-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Meredith, on almost any other team, is a backup at best. If it weren't for the injury to Butler, he'd still be sitting on Green Bay's practice squad.

I dunno if Brohm's the first player to get the axe, but he's certainly in the mix. Why would it shock you if he gets cut? It's not like it's his first time.

Because we don't have Aaron Rodgers.

Ron Burgundy
04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Because we don't have Aaron Rodgers.

Or Matt Flynn, apparently.

jamze132
04-27-2010, 02:19 AM
There are no guarantees that Wood will be ready or even effective this season.