• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sportsuser101
    • Feb 2005

Looking back at the draft and how it broke down

1(9) OT Anthony Davis - Rutgers

Lets face it we needed a LT and Davis is about as athletic as your gonna get. Would have loved to grab him and he's a better fit then Bulaga.

2(41) QB Jimmy Clausen - Notre Dame

I can maybe understand not drafting him at #9 even though I would have been very happy with it but not getting him here was mind boggling. He's going to be a star.

3(72) WR Eric Decker - Minnesota

Decker simply does it all as a wide out. Perfect compliment to Evans. Doesn't have great speed but does everything else good.

4(107) DT Al Woods - LSU

Even just starting 1 year Woods proved that he is gonna be a good player and would be a great fit in the 34 at the nose. He is a better player then Trout in my opinion and get him much later.

5(140) OT Sam Young - Notre Dame

Think he would be very good as a RT. He could start right away and be solid.

6(178) OC Eric Olsen - Notre Dame

Team leader and has a killer instinct.

6(192) RB LeGarrette Blount - Oregon

We know the "off the field" issues but on the field he is so explosive. Too good to pass up here.

7(209) OT Kyle Calloway - Iowa

Very happy we did get him. I think he could start right away but would have loved to have Davis and Young on our team as well.

7(216) ILB Mike McLaughlin - Boston College

Nice fit for our 34 defense. Think he could be productive right away.

Lets face it our offensive line needed alot of help so grabbing Davis, Young, Olsen and Calloway are nice moves and upgrades and adds depth. Clausen would have been the future of the team for years to come. Woods would have been our NT we desperately needed for the new defense. Decker is the WR to go across from Evans and is a guy you just want to root for. Blount I believe could eventually be a starter in the NFL. He is explosive and is just a really good player with some character questions. I would have taken my chances. McLaughlin is a player I believe I could be productive right away especially in the new defense.

Overall I didn't like our real draft. I wanted Clausen in a bad way. I do like Spiller but we have more pressing needs then him especially on the offensive line. Trout was a big reach. Carrington is a good fit for the 34 but I thought he was also a reach and we need another WR to go across from Evans. We had so many holes and we didn't really address what we needed to.
    Dareus - 1st Round Pick
  • SquishDaFish
    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
    • Jun 2005

Re: Looking back at the draft and how it broke down

Sorry I loved and still love our draft.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
      The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
      • Feb 2005

it would be interesting for you to save this list and track them for a few years to see how they all pan out compared to the actual bills selections. All your players are solid.... Clauseen's success or lack there of will be something the bills will either deeply regret or breath a huge sigh of relief over.
      I was never sold on Clausen, but dont mind the draft we had
      In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

#1, it's Troup, not Trout, and #2 I'm happy as hell we didn't draft Clausen.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• JCBills
          • Jan 2010

Lol I would have been pissed with that draft.

If I could change one pick in our draft, I'd switch Kyle Calloway with CJ Wilson.
          Last edited by JCBills; 04-26-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
            • Sep 2003

I would have been too. Thank goodness we didn't get Clausen.
            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• SquishDaFish
              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
              • Jun 2005

I love the way our draft went but I stick by what I predicted Clausen is going to be a good one

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                Hall of Fame Zoner
                • Jan 2010

with your draft we would have a bust at qb and we still wouldnt be able to stop the run.... .............................. ...................... ur draft is horrible.......

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

I did one of these for fun earlier... I knew the top of my draft would've went different based on where I was pre-draft:

1. D Williams

2. Kindle

3. Campbell

5. Skelton

Easley and Moates can stick... not sure about the rest.

In hindsight, I'm glad the Bills showed they can do better than I did!

Comment

• casdhf
                    • Jul 2002

I would have been disgusted if this was our draft class.
                    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Yeah, I wouldn't have been happy with this. The only pick I would have liked would have been Decker. I'm really not a fan of Young, and if you're doing this draft in hindsight, why pick LeGarrette Blount in the 6th when he went undrafted? Just pick him as our last 7th rounder.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• jamesiscool
                        suck it fool.
                        • Feb 2007

why would we draft blount when he went UNdrafted? wasted pick.
                        Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                          1(9) OT Anthony Davis - Rutgers

Lets face it we needed a LT and Davis is about as athletic as your gonna get. Would have loved to grab him and he's a better fit then Bulaga.

2(41) QB Jimmy Clausen - Notre Dame

I can maybe understand not drafting him at #9 even though I would have been very happy with it but not getting him here was mind boggling. He's going to be a star.

3(72) WR Eric Decker - Minnesota

Decker simply does it all as a wide out. Perfect compliment to Evans. Doesn't have great speed but does everything else good.

4(107) DT Al Woods - LSU

Even just starting 1 year Woods proved that he is gonna be a good player and would be a great fit in the 34 at the nose. He is a better player then Trout in my opinion and get him much later.

5(140) OT Sam Young - Notre Dame

Think he would be very good as a RT. He could start right away and be solid.

6(178) OC Eric Olsen - Notre Dame

Team leader and has a killer instinct.

6(192) RB LeGarrette Blount - Oregon

We know the "off the field" issues but on the field he is so explosive. Too good to pass up here.

7(209) OT Kyle Calloway - Iowa

Very happy we did get him. I think he could start right away but would have loved to have Davis and Young on our team as well.

7(216) ILB Mike McLaughlin - Boston College

Nice fit for our 34 defense. Think he could be productive right away.

Lets face it our offensive line needed alot of help so grabbing Davis, Young, Olsen and Calloway are nice moves and upgrades and adds depth. Clausen would have been the future of the team for years to come. Woods would have been our NT we desperately needed for the new defense. Decker is the WR to go across from Evans and is a guy you just want to root for. Blount I believe could eventually be a starter in the NFL. He is explosive and is just a really good player with some character questions. I would have taken my chances. McLaughlin is a player I believe I could be productive right away especially in the new defense.

Overall I didn't like our real draft. I wanted Clausen in a bad way. I do like Spiller but we have more pressing needs then him especially on the offensive line. Trout was a big reach. Carrington is a good fit for the 34 but I thought he was also a reach and we need another WR to go across from Evans. We had so many holes and we didn't really address what we needed to.
                          Just because we have a NEED at LT and QB does't mean we should bet the farm on them. Its obvious that the great talent evaluator, Buddy Nix wasn't impressed with those guys or he would have drafted them. I put a little more faith in his decisions.

But good effort...

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

You say they (Buffalo) needs a wide out, and you have them taking Decker in round 3. Did you miss the fact that they took Easley in round 4?

Comment

• Buddo
                              • Mar 2007

There's a simple reason why Nix wouldn't draft like this, and it's because the players drafted early, would be incapable of contributing to the team this year.
                              Davis may well become the best OT in the bunch in time, but he'll need at least a year to become ready to play at all. I personally feel the same about Clausen. I don't think he's actually 'ready to go'.
                              The Bills need their first two picks to be contributors from the start.
                              They also had a plan of what to do. If Okung or T. Williams were there, they probably would have picked one of them. Nix is on record as saying he felt there were only two tackle prospects who could come in and start.
                              From there, I think they always intended using their 2nd pick on a NT. They tried to move up to get Dan Williams, but because the Broncos panicked, they were unable to do so. From what I've read, the Bills actually had a deal to pick one after Williams was taken, I think with the Cowboys, but obviously didn't go through with it once Williams was taken.
                              I'm not sure I see anyone on your list, with the possible exception of Decker, who would be certain to come in and produce for the Bills immediately. I think the idea is to actually try and rebuild quite quickly, rather than be ready for 2020.

Comment

Working...
                              X