PDA

View Full Version : Six Young Bills poised to break out in 2010

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-26-2010, 05:50 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/26/1445019/six-young-bills-poised-to-break

QB Brian Brohm. Buffalo's going to have an open competition for the starting quarterback job, and while Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick are probably the early favorites, no QB currently on Buffalo's roster was as highly-touted coming out of college as Brohm. Clearly the most naturally talented of Buffalo's four signal-callers, we've heard various people - ESPN's Chris Mortensen chief among them - that head coach Chan Gailey is intrigued by Brohm's physical tools. If he wins the quarterback competition - and to be quite honest, I'm pulling for him - and subsequently starts 16 games, the team might finally be onto something at this position. Don't expect much, but consistency would be nice.

Star-divide

WR Steve Johnson. Between Johnson, James Hardy, Chad Jackson and Marcus Easley, the Bills have a lot of young, intriguing receiving options - and one or two of them have a shot to see significant playing time. Of those four, Johnson's game is the most polished, and Johnson has the best knack at finding holes in zones and getting himself open. We may be looking at the next possibly-improved version of Josh Reed here - a slot option, a possession receiver, and a guy who may not score a bunch of touchdowns. We can live without scores from Stevie for now, but the team really needs a short-area possession receiver that can move the chains to emerge, and I like Johnson's chances there. It wouldn't surprise me if he caught 60 balls next year.

TE Shawn Nelson. He had a shaky rookie season - one in which he dealt with injuries, which is a concern - but this kid has a lot of talent, and he won't be competing with established veterans for looks this season, either. By far the most talented tight end on the roster, Nelson has an opportunity to emerge as a favorite receiving option of whichever quarterback becomes the starter, and the Bills could really use some production from this position for once. Chan Gailey's offenses typically don't use tight ends predominantly, so don't be surprised if he tries Nelson in the slot or perhaps even out of the backfield on occasion, as well.

LG Andy Levitre. Here's the guy that I'm most excited about - I almost dedicated an entire article to just how awesome I think Andy Levitre is going to be. I thought he was Buffalo's best lineman a year ago, and the improvements he made from the beginning of the season to the end were tremendous. People talk about moving him to left tackle, but he wouldn't stand the test of time at that position, and he is potentially elite at left guard. Yes - potentially elite, as in one of the best left guards in the business. I love his playing style, I love his demeanor, I love his attitude and work ethic, and I think he's just going to get better and better. With the rest of the line in flux, count your blessings, Bills fans, and understand that the Bills do have at least one lineman that could turn out to be excellent.

DE Alex Carrington. If there was one draft pick from this past weekend that I absolutely loved, it was Arkansas State's Carrington. Big, strong, athletic and with very solid potential, I wouldn't necessarily call Carrington a project player because of where he went to school, because he's got an NFL body and will contribute on a rotational basis as a rookie. I also wouldn't necessarily call him a future star, either, because really, when are 3-4 defensive ends ever stars? Carrington is going to have a long, productive NFL career as a starter, and I wouldn't be shocked if he puts in a strong rookie campaign and makes Marcus Stroud expendable after next season.

OLB Aaron Maybin. I loved Maybin when he was entering the league as a pass-rushing prospect, and remain high on him despite his rookie holdout and unproductive (to say the least) freshman season. I'm not certain Maybin is any better a fit for the 3-4 than he is for the 4-3; yes, he's less of a liability against the run in the team's new defensive scheme, but now he's just a coverage liability. Really, there's no difference. Maybin is ready to become a solid pass rusher this season if George Edwards can find ways to limit those liabilities and get him advantageous blocking matchups. I expect 6-8 sacks out of Maybin this year (more would be nice), and truly believe he'll hit the ground running in this scheme. He's still only 22 years old, and his potential remains extremely high.

Don't Panic
04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Nice article, but 60 catches for Johnson? And I think Bruce Smith was a bit of a star at DE in a 3-4. I do see Carrington as our Jeff Wright... now all we need is a Bruce on the other side and we'll be all set!

As for QB... it's going to be interesting watching that develop.

Crisis
04-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Steve Johnson is poised to break out every offseason...

Don't understand the love people have for him.

Scumbag College
04-26-2010, 06:23 PM

I gotta think with the anemic offense the Bills have had the last few years that Steve Johnson would have already broken out and found a way to break the lineup for more playing time. I'm guilty of it, but we tend to fall in love with all of our low round draft picks and expect the next diamond in the rough out of each of them.

I think the most we can expect of Johnson would be to get close to replacing the production of Josh Reed.

Nighthawk
04-26-2010, 07:41 PM

The article is a written by a normal joe like you or me....it's a fan's view...nothing more, nothing less. I can't stand the crap that comes out of that site.

mysticsoto
04-26-2010, 08:58 PM

How can any WR break out with the inept qb play we've had. Evans and TO together on any competent team would have been setting records. I feel so bad for Evans. On another team, he would be a perennial probowler. Here, only we fans know how good he is and what he's capable of - even though he can't show it with numbers. Same goes for these other guys who want to break out but can't due to our poor ability to find a good qb...I hope the new FO can find our franchise qb next year amidst a better, more talented class.

BillsWin
04-26-2010, 09:28 PM
THE BROHM BOMBER.

BillsWin
04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
http://prod.static.bills.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/BUF/photos/player_cards_2010/brian_brohm.jpg

Brohm + Spiller = :brilliant:

Maybe?

Commissioner
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
My sources tell me "Brohm is the worst QB ever".

BillsWin
04-26-2010, 09:43 PM

My sources tell me your sources must have forgot about Trent Edwards.

:bringit:

PECKERWOOD
04-26-2010, 11:07 PM
People give me crap for saying this, but I think that Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best QB on our roster and let's face it, Harvard fits Gailey's system better than anybody else we have. It is pretty funny how we have two ivy leaguers fighting it out over the starting QB job, can you imagine the mind **** games they're playing on each other? It's probably getting really nasty between those two.

BertSquirtgum
04-27-2010, 12:27 AM

i don't understand this type of mindset. he hasn't had a chance to play with three veterans ahead of him. it is possible that he has a breakout year.

BertSquirtgum
04-27-2010, 12:29 AM
your source is ryan fitzpatrick. fitz is a poor man's doug flutie. he sucks.

BertSquirtgum
04-27-2010, 12:30 AM
People give me crap for saying this, but I think that Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best QB on our roster and let's face it, Harvard fits Gailey's system better than anybody else we have. It is pretty funny how we have two ivy leaguers fighting it out over the starting QB job, can you imagine the mind **** games they're playing on each other? It's probably getting really nasty between those two.

maybe in your opinion he is the best on the roster but i beg to differ.

Oaf
04-27-2010, 12:32 AM
The article is a written by a normal joe like you or me....it's a fan's view...nothing more, nothing less. I can't stand the crap that comes out of that site.

I'll take that 7 days a week and twice on Sundays over the turds you post. :shakeno:

jamze132
04-27-2010, 01:47 AM
:popcorn:

Historian
04-27-2010, 07:10 AM
My sources tell me your sources must have forgot about Trent Edwards.

:bringit:

...or Lossman...or Collins...or....

superbills
04-27-2010, 07:22 AM

And how is that different than 90% of the crap we're fed from the supposed "Pros"? The only difference is the "pros" get paid. A turd is still a turd...

That said, I think the OP was very good. I can get behind those points and put me down for hoping to God that Maybin pans out in the 3-4.

HHURRICANE
04-27-2010, 07:58 AM
This might be the dumbest article ever written.

Forward_Lateral
04-27-2010, 08:02 AM
How the F is Brohm primed to be a break out Bill? Don't you have to actually play in some NFL games before you can "break out"?

If anything, I see a bunch of question marks posted above, not guys who are ready to "break out'.