PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was a ****ing PATHETIC series

OpIv37
04-26-2010, 08:47 PM
I can't think of enough negative adjectives to describe the power play. They simply cannot bring the puck back into the zone and re-establish it. The only time it was even remotely effective was when they won the draw (and they were pathetic at that all season long too).

Connolly was ****ing horrendous. Roy and Pominville were outplayed by Tyler Ennis, who was the most effective forward despite doing his best Max Afinogenov impression.

Grier and Montador both played great over the course of the series, but both also had meltdowns at crucial moments that led to goals.

It's embarrassing how bad the Sabres are at bringing the puck out of their own zone. I know the Caps are choking too, but I was flipping back and forth between the two games and the way they bring the puck out of their zone compared to the Sabres is just a world of difference.

And, of course, Satan had to kill us this series. It's not as soul-crushing as losing game 7 at home, but it goes with the Buffalo sports commitment to adding insult to injury.

Miller and Myers are the only players on this team worth a damn.

YardRat
04-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Oh please. I expected so much more.

Cleve
04-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Should be time for Lindy Ruff to go - we're never going to the big dance with his coaching.

OpIv37
04-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Should be time for Lindy Ruff to go - we're never going to the big dance with his coaching.

well, what do you expect him to do when the FO gives him guys like Vanek, Roy, Pominville and Connolly as his "stars"?

They hand him a knife and send him to a gun fight, then when he gets there, he discovers it's a rubber training knife.

The King
04-26-2010, 08:52 PM
I was blown away at how well Montador played... he was awful in the post season last year.

OpIv37
04-26-2010, 08:54 PM
I was blown away at how well Montador played... he was awful in the post season last year.

he had a great series, but he screwed up twice tonight.

Philagape
04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
http://geordierussell.instone.net/Jukebox/Img/P/pretenders-break-up-the-concrete.jpg

Buffalogic
04-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Rofl blaming Lindy is so weak. Yeah, it's his fault Grier choked in 2OT and had an epic defensive lapse. Or it's Lindy's fault that we entered the series with injuries to Vanek/hecht/Connolly.

Connolly was just out of shape all series from the injury you could tell he wasn't in playoff conditioning but how could he be? There's a legit reason why he sucked, unlike the other guys.

Pominville has to be setup to do anything. He can't create his own shot and his all around game is weak.

Roy desperately needs Vanek to make him look better than he is. Roy was Mr. Invisible man this series.

I wish Ennis would shoot the puck more.

Dr. Lecter
04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Miller and Myers are the only players on this team worth a damn.

I would add Ennis and Vanek to that list too (Vanek showed me something tonight)

I don't see how you don't put Ennis on the list.

And anybody who does not realize the value of Hecht did not watch this series.

But the rest of the team is meh.

Canadian'eh!
04-26-2010, 09:04 PM
moihahahaha

na na na na

na na na na

Go Habs Go!

chernobylwraiths
04-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Rofl blaming Lindy is so weak. Yeah, it's his fault Grier choked in 2OT and had an epic defensive lapse. Or it's Lindy's fault that we entered the series with injuries to Vanek/hecht/Connolly.

Connolly was just out of shape all series from the injury you could tell he wasn't in playoff conditioning but how could he be? There's a legit reason why he sucked, unlike the other guys.

Pominville has to be setup to do anything. He can't create his own shot and his all around game is weak.

Roy desperately needs Vanek to make him look better than he is. Roy was Mr. Invisible man this series.

I wish Ennis would shoot the puck more.

:rofl: at blaming Grier for the loss in game 4 since he was probably our best overall player the whole series that wasn't a goalie

More excuses for Connolly, "he wasn't in shape" then he shouldn't have been out there.

I wish EVERYONE would shoot the puck more.

chernobylwraiths
04-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I would add Ennis and Vanek to that list too (Vanek showed me something tonight)

Yeah, we needed more defensive play from Hecht. :rolleyes:

Buffalogic
04-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Take any teams top 2 players away from them in the playoffs and they probably lose. People can debate how good our top players are but there's no doubt we needed them.

I mean look at the caps. They are totally healthy and choking. Take away backstrom/semin/Ovie and they get destroyed. The devils...Parise and Kovulchuk. They played all series and lost. Imagine if they were injured and didn't play.

If this series didn't show you our entire team revolves around Vanek, then nothing will. Even when he's not scoring he's the most important player on the ice because he makes players like roy and pominville worth a damn when they just pretty much are average or below.

Dr. Lecter
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah, we needed more defensive play from Hecht. :rolleyes:

Look at the PK stats with and without Hecht.

The guy is the best defensive forward on the team (with the possible exception of Grier, but Hecht can skate better). And he is a 20 goal scorer.

In fact, an argument can be made that he was the 3rd best player on the team this year.

Buffalogic
04-26-2010, 09:09 PM
:rofl: at blaming Grier for the loss in game 4 since he was probably our best overall player the whole series that wasn't a goalie

More excuses for Connolly, "he wasn't in shape" then he shouldn't have been out there.

I wish EVERYONE would shoot the puck more.
I guess you didn't watch the play develop. That's the only reason you could defend Grier on that play. He cost us the game.

Philagape
04-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Take any teams top 2 players away from them in the playoffs and they probably lose. People can debate how good our top players are but there's no doubt we needed them.

I mean look at the caps. They are totally healthy and choking. Take away backstrom/semin/Ovie and they get destroyed. The devils...Parise and Kovulchuk. They played all series and lost. Imagine if they were injured and didn't play.

If this series didn't show you our entire team revolves around Vanek, then nothing will. Even when he's not scoring he's the most important player on the ice because he makes players like roy and pominville worth a damn when they just pretty much are average or below.

You sort of defeat your own point ... If teams lose WITH their top players, then losing top players isn't necessarily the difference. Who cares what the top players do when the rest of the team turns to jello in the playoffs?

Philagape
04-26-2010, 09:16 PM
The team fails because the core of Roy-Pominville-Connolly-Vanek just can't cut it.

It's up to the Myers-Ennis-Gerbe generation to make this franchise a contender again.

Buffalogic
04-26-2010, 09:18 PM
You sort of defeat your own point ... If teams lose WITH their top players, then losing top players isn't necessarily the difference. Who cares what the top players do when the rest of the team turns to jello in the playoffs?How could it not make a difference?? Without your top guys in the lineup more defensive focus gets put on the role players and their weaknesses get exposed ala Pominville and Roy.

The turning point in the series was when Vanek got hurt and I don't know how you can try to argue against that.

Philagape
04-26-2010, 09:21 PM
How could it not make a difference?? Without your top guys in the lineup more defensive focus gets put on the role players and their weaknesses get exposed ala Pominville and Roy.

The turning point in the series was when Vanek got hurt and I don't know how you can try to argue against that.

There's nothing to argue against because that's pure speculation.
Vanek played tonight, and they lost. He's no savior.

Buffalogic
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
There's nothing to argue against because that's pure speculation.
Vanek played tonight, and they lost. He's no savior.
Yeah, total speculation that we won the first game and had a 2 goal lead in the second when Vanek got chopped.

Apparently you people have never played a sport before because when you come back from an injury you aren't going to be the same the first couple games back. Whether it's from lingering effects or just conditioning. People call out Connolly but he just couldn't get up to playoff gear. Then you say 'OMG he shouldn't be playing then'. That's stupid too because you need to work them back in for the next series. What are you going to play the entire post season without a players because he isn't conditioned?

I'm fine with calling out players who deserve it but when you just dump on everyone it's just sour grapes.

Dr. Lecter
04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Vanek showed me something tonight. Playing like he did when he can barely walk is impressive. He matured quickly.

Trade Roy and give Vanek a 'A'. What he did tonight was true leadership.

OpIv37
04-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Let's put it this way.

Miller and Myers are the only guys on this team who should be untouchable. Anyone else can be moved for the right compensation. If I were the Sabres' FO, I wouldn't be looking to move Ennis, but if someone made me an offer for him, I'd listen.

Crisis
04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
disappointing series but the future is bright

myers logging some huge playoff minutes at 20, miller still entering his prime, ennis/gerbe coming up, vanek finally playing like he's supposed to...

not to mention we have a lot of d prospects ready to make the leap soon.

Dr. Lecter
04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Let's put it this way.

Miller and Myers are the only guys on this team who should be untouchable. Anyone else can be moved for the right compensation. If I were the Sabres' FO, I wouldn't be looking to move Ennis, but if someone made me an offer for him, I'd listen.

I agree with that, although anything for Ennis would have to be pretty damn large. He is close to untouchable. With his talent and youth (therefore he will be affordable and not a UFA for quite awhile), the return would have to be damn convincing.

ddaryl
04-27-2010, 08:02 AM
IMO Quinn needs to go

I think a new flavor for a coach would be good. We're stuck in rut...

I would not be sad to see reiger hit the bricks as well

trapezeus
04-27-2010, 08:09 AM
personally, i enjoyed when the sabres decided to be physical for one shift in the first and 4 sabres went for checks and four sabres bounced off bruins and fell. it was embarassing. you could hear the crowd laugh at us.

And that's why you don't win playoff series.

SabreEleven
04-27-2010, 09:21 AM
IMO Quinn needs to go

I think a new flavor for a coach would be good. We're stuck in rut...

I would not be sad to see reiger hit the bricks as well

Quinn needed to a long time ago but that is the problem, he is an investor in this team. So as long as he thinks he knows something about hockey, he'll NEVER leave.

hammerbillsfan
04-27-2010, 09:19 PM
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://audio.wgr550.com/widgets/597/frame.js?width=640&height=440&episode=30556857">&#a0;</script>

Watch this at WGR (http://audio.wgr550.com/m/audio/30556857/tuesday-s-whiner-line.htm?q=whiner+line)

SkateZilla
04-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Im Gonna Be completely unbiased on Sabres Personel and....

Blame the Ice in Boston's Arena, how about that

SabreEleven
04-28-2010, 05:13 PM
I still blame the referee's for gift wrapping game 4.