• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Bills add another UDFA

OC Kyle Mutcher, Weber State

Highly ranked small school player, with great ability.

Five minutes after the draft ended, Mutcher agreed to sign with the Bills, a team that had been looking at Mutcher during the 2009 season and nearly chose him with its final pick in the seventh round.

"I was happy, but now I have to go to work and I get to prove to everybody that I should be there," Mutcher said.

The 6-3, 300-pound lineman from Park City suffered a season-ending injury during the Wildcats' regular-season finale and missed WSU's playoff game with a dislocated foot and broken fibula. He had also been dealing with a shoulder injury all season, but ended up not needing surgery.

"The body feels good," Mutcher said. "I won't really know until the first few days of contact at mini-camp but everything I've done these past few months have been really good and I've reacted the way I've wanted to."
    If he was healthy, he would of been a definite draft pick, this kid is a great pick up for us, especially if he's back to 100%.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS ...

* Missed the first four games of his red-shirt freshman season (2006), then STARTED the next five at left guard before an ankle injury sidelined him for the last two games.

* Began the 2007 season at left guard but made the move to center in the third game (vs. Montana State) of the season and started the rest of the year. ... Was part of an offensive line which helped Trevyn Smith lead the Big Sky Conference in Rushing and Cameron Higgins (QB) to earn the Big Sky Conference Newcomer of the Year award.

* Started in all 14 games for the Wildcats in 2008. .. Helped lead the team to a 10-4 record overall, a 7-1 mark in Big Sky play, a conference championship for the first time since 1968 and an automatic berth into the NCAA Division I FCS playoffs. ... WSU defeated #3 ranked Cal Poly 49-35 on the road in the opening round, then lost @Montana, 24-13, in the quarterfinals. ... Named First Team All-Big Sky Conference. ... Helped Trevyn Smith lead the Big Sky Conference in Rushing for a third straight year. ... Helped protect Cameron Higgins (QB) who was named the 2008 Big Sky Conference Offensive Player of the year.

* Played in just eight games of the 2009 season - missing the second game (@Colorado State) and third game (Idaho State) and the NCAA Division I FCS playoff game @William Mary. ... Was named CONSENSUS ALL-AMERICA NCAA Division I FCS by being named First Team All-America by: The American Football Coaches Association, The Associated Press, The Sports Network and The Walter Camp Foundation. ... WSU first consensus player since 2005 when Brady Fosmark (DE) was honored.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Re: Bills add another UDFA

Good stuff!

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

practice squad player this year IMO... Sounds a little beat up, and of course the small school stigma... He'll need some time

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
        practice squad player this year IMO... Sounds a little beat up, and of course the small school stigma... He'll need some time
        Agreed, but he has good power, and leverage, and great size.

My personal favorite part of Mutcher's game is his head, its up immediately upon the snap and he's quickly locating target and its constantly on a swivel.
        COMING SOON...

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

Where do you find the UDFA signings? Can't find them on BuffaloBills.com or NFL.com
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Oaf
            Do you read what you write?
            • Jun 2007

That's a hell of a name for the lines.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HargroveforMVP
              Where do you find the UDFA signings? Can't find them on BuffaloBills.com or NFL.com
              First saw it here;

Then confirmed it on Weber State's site.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                Hall of Fame Zoner
                • Jan 2010

mutcher will be our backup center then... im guessing... we really need flozell adams...

Comment

• TonyIncredible
                  • Apr 2010

sounds like a good back-up for practice squad
                  Last edited by TonyIncredible; 04-27-2010, 08:12 PM.
                  Still The One and Only

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

Boy, DB, you must be having a blast with the UDFA's.

It seems a little odd to me that Buffalo picked mostly players from small schools or lower levels of competition. We raided the Sun Belt in the draft and picked up a bunch of small-school guys as UDFA's.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
                      Boy, DB, you must be having a blast with the UDFA's.

It seems a little odd to me that Buffalo picked mostly players from small schools or lower levels of competition. We raided the Sun Belt in the draft and picked up a bunch of small-school guys as UDFA's.
                      You have no idea how much I enjoy this teams new way of looking for and at talent.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        You have no idea how much I enjoy this teams new way of looking for and at talent.
                        Explain please.

Comment

• Mike in Syracuse
                          • Jul 2002

I saw a statistic today that 17% of the NFL starters in 2009 were UNDRAFTED. That percentage is higher than the percentage of starters for every player picked in rounds 1 through 7.

THAT is a truly amazing statistic given the time and money that goes into the combine, pro days and scouting.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal
                            Explain please.

Im a big smaller school guy I think that the smaller FBS conferences (Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, etc.) plus FCS (formerly DI-AA), DII, and DIII are trending up in terms of talent. I think the talent disparity that used to be so prevalent is now becoming less and less.

While guys like Fred Jackson, Kurt Warner, DRC, and countless others used to be rare they are becoming far more common place. It appears as though this team's current regime is more willing to not only properly scout the smaller schools but also draft those kids.

For example I think that our small school selections this year;
                            DE Alex Carrington
                            WR Naaman Roosevelt
                            LB Arthur Moats
                            LB Danny Batten
                            QB Levi Brown
                            OC Kyle Mutcher
                            WR Donald Jones
                            RB Joique Bell (Avatar)

Are incredibly valuable and I think all the players listed above have both the talent and ability to make the Bills roster or PS for the coming season.

Why I like it so much is because these are the same guys I would of taken/signed. Ive personally scouted all those players and had them rated higher than where they actually went so Im very excited that my reports seemingly are at least in the same ball park as the Bills.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              Im a big smaller school guy I think that the smaller FBS conferences (Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, etc.) plus FCS (formerly DI-AA), DII, and DIII are trending up in terms of talent. I think the talent disparity that used to be so prevalent is now becoming less and less.

While guys like Fred Jackson, Kurt Warner, DRC, and countless others used to be rare they are becoming far more common place. It appears as though this team's current regime is more willing to not only properly scout the smaller schools but also draft those kids.

For example I think that our small school selections this year;
                              DE Alex Carrington
                              WR Naaman Roosevelt
                              LB Arthur Moats
                              LB Danny Batten
                              QB Levi Brown
                              OC Kyle Mutcher
                              WR Donald Jones
                              RB Joique Bell (Avatar)

Are incredibly valuable and I think all the players listed above have both the talent and ability to make the Bills roster or PS for the coming season.

Why I like it so much is because these are the same guys I would of taken/signed. Ive personally scouted all those players and had them rated higher than where they actually went so Im very excited that my reports seemingly are at least in the same ball park as the Bills.
                              Thanks and I agree. I like that they looked to guys who dominated at smaller schools rather than go with less talented players at bigger schools.

Comment

Working...
                              X