PDA

View Full Version : Bills add another UDFA

DraftBoy
04-27-2010, 10:55 AM
OC Kyle Mutcher, Weber State

Highly ranked small school player, with great ability.

http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/04/26/morris-philly-after-confusion-mutcher-excited-be-bill

Five minutes after the draft ended, Mutcher agreed to sign with the Bills, a team that had been looking at Mutcher during the 2009 season and nearly chose him with its final pick in the seventh round.

"I was happy, but now I have to go to work and I get to prove to everybody that I should be there," Mutcher said.

The 6-3, 300-pound lineman from Park City suffered a season-ending injury during the Wildcats' regular-season finale and missed WSU's playoff game with a dislocated foot and broken fibula. He had also been dealing with a shoulder injury all season, but ended up not needing surgery.

"The body feels good," Mutcher said. "I won't really know until the first few days of contact at mini-camp but everything I've done these past few months have been really good and I've reacted the way I've wanted to."

If he was healthy, he would of been a definite draft pick, this kid is a great pick up for us, especially if he's back to 100%.

http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=8600&ATCLID=204936986

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS ...

* Missed the first four games of his red-shirt freshman season (2006), then STARTED the next five at left guard before an ankle injury sidelined him for the last two games.

* Began the 2007 season at left guard but made the move to center in the third game (vs. Montana State) of the season and started the rest of the year. ... Was part of an offensive line which helped Trevyn Smith lead the Big Sky Conference in Rushing and Cameron Higgins (QB) to earn the Big Sky Conference Newcomer of the Year award.

* Started in all 14 games for the Wildcats in 2008. .. Helped lead the team to a 10-4 record overall, a 7-1 mark in Big Sky play, a conference championship for the first time since 1968 and an automatic berth into the NCAA Division I FCS playoffs. ... WSU defeated #3 ranked Cal Poly 49-35 on the road in the opening round, then lost @Montana, 24-13, in the quarterfinals. ... Named First Team All-Big Sky Conference. ... Helped Trevyn Smith lead the Big Sky Conference in Rushing for a third straight year. ... Helped protect Cameron Higgins (QB) who was named the 2008 Big Sky Conference Offensive Player of the year.

* Played in just eight games of the 2009 season - missing the second game (@Colorado State) and third game (Idaho State) and the NCAA Division I FCS playoff game @William Mary. ... Was named CONSENSUS ALL-AMERICA NCAA Division I FCS by being named First Team All-America by: The American Football Coaches Association, The Associated Press, The Sports Network and The Walter Camp Foundation. ... WSU first consensus player since 2005 when Brady Fosmark (DE) was honored.

The Spaz
04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Good stuff!

ddaryl
04-27-2010, 10:57 AM
practice squad player this year IMO... Sounds a little beat up, and of course the small school stigma... He'll need some time

DraftBoy
04-27-2010, 11:07 AM
practice squad player this year IMO... Sounds a little beat up, and of course the small school stigma... He'll need some time

Agreed, but he has good power, and leverage, and great size.

My personal favorite part of Mutcher's game is his head, its up immediately upon the snap and he's quickly locating target and its constantly on a swivel.

ServoBillieves
04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Where do you find the UDFA signings? Can't find them on BuffaloBills.com or NFL.com

Oaf
04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
That's a hell of a name for the lines.

DraftBoy
04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Where do you find the UDFA signings? Can't find them on BuffaloBills.com or NFL.com

First saw it here;
http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/p/2010-nfl-undrafted-free-agents.html

Then confirmed it on Weber State's site.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM
mutcher will be our backup center then... im guessing... we really need flozell adams...

TonyIncredible
04-27-2010, 08:10 PM
sounds like a good back-up for practice squad

psubills62
04-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Boy, DB, you must be having a blast with the UDFA's.

It seems a little odd to me that Buffalo picked mostly players from small schools or lower levels of competition. We raided the Sun Belt in the draft and picked up a bunch of small-school guys as UDFA's.

DraftBoy
04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Boy, DB, you must be having a blast with the UDFA's.

It seems a little odd to me that Buffalo picked mostly players from small schools or lower levels of competition. We raided the Sun Belt in the draft and picked up a bunch of small-school guys as UDFA's.

You have no idea how much I enjoy this teams new way of looking for and at talent.

Goobylal
04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
You have no idea how much I enjoy this teams new way of looking for and at talent.
Explain please.

Mike in Syracuse
04-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I saw a statistic today that 17% of the NFL starters in 2009 were UNDRAFTED. That percentage is higher than the percentage of starters for every player picked in rounds 1 through 7.

THAT is a truly amazing statistic given the time and money that goes into the combine, pro days and scouting.

DraftBoy
04-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Explain please.

Im a big smaller school guy I think that the smaller FBS conferences (Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, etc.) plus FCS (formerly DI-AA), DII, and DIII are trending up in terms of talent. I think the talent disparity that used to be so prevalent is now becoming less and less.

While guys like Fred Jackson, Kurt Warner, DRC, and countless others used to be rare they are becoming far more common place. It appears as though this team's current regime is more willing to not only properly scout the smaller schools but also draft those kids.

For example I think that our small school selections this year;
DE Alex Carrington
WR Naaman Roosevelt
LB Arthur Moats
LB Danny Batten
QB Levi Brown
OC Kyle Mutcher
WR Donald Jones
RB Joique Bell (Avatar)

Are incredibly valuable and I think all the players listed above have both the talent and ability to make the Bills roster or PS for the coming season.

Why I like it so much is because these are the same guys I would of taken/signed. Ive personally scouted all those players and had them rated higher than where they actually went so Im very excited that my reports seemingly are at least in the same ball park as the Bills.

Goobylal
04-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Im a big smaller school guy I think that the smaller FBS conferences (Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, etc.) plus FCS (formerly DI-AA), DII, and DIII are trending up in terms of talent. I think the talent disparity that used to be so prevalent is now becoming less and less.

While guys like Fred Jackson, Kurt Warner, DRC, and countless others used to be rare they are becoming far more common place. It appears as though this team's current regime is more willing to not only properly scout the smaller schools but also draft those kids.

DE Alex Carrington
WR Naaman Roosevelt
LB Arthur Moats
LB Danny Batten
QB Levi Brown
OC Kyle Mutcher
WR Donald Jones
RB Joique Bell (Avatar)

Are incredibly valuable and I think all the players listed above have both the talent and ability to make the Bills roster or PS for the coming season.

Why I like it so much is because these are the same guys I would of taken/signed. Ive personally scouted all those players and had them rated higher than where they actually went so Im very excited that my reports seemingly are at least in the same ball park as the Bills.
Thanks and I agree. I like that they looked to guys who dominated at smaller schools rather than go with less talented players at bigger schools.

tat2dmike77
04-27-2010, 09:38 PM

Atleast they are looking and not just throwing a dart at the wall like the good ol days

BertSquirtgum
04-27-2010, 11:02 PM
mutcher will be our backup center then... im guessing... we really need flozell adams...

no we don't.

ServoBillieves
04-27-2010, 11:08 PM
If given a chance, Naaman Roosevelt will be solid in the NFL. Just tossing that out there.

jamze132
04-28-2010, 05:58 AM

DE Alex Carrington
WR Naaman Roosevelt
LB Arthur Moats
LB Danny Batten
QB Levi Brown
OC Kyle Mutcher
WR Donald Jones
RB Joique Bell (Avatar)

But you're still Kiper's biatch.

:jk:

Nice work buddy.

DraftBoy
04-28-2010, 07:46 AM
If given a chance, Naaman Roosevelt will be solid in the NFL. Just tossing that out there.

Not sold on that, no size, and doesnt have another gear speed wise.

When I watch his tape I dont see NFL speed. He will need to work hard on his routes but Donald Jones is the same kind of player with better speed and a better build.

Roosevelt has a massive uphill battle ahead of him. He need to add weight first and foremost. One person told me though he's listed in the 180's he played at UB in the low 170's. That's not good.

jamze132
04-28-2010, 08:52 AM
That's too small for a WR who isn't running a 4.3. At least at this level.

psubills62
04-28-2010, 09:04 AM
DE Alex Carrington
WR Naaman Roosevelt
LB Arthur Moats
LB Danny Batten
QB Levi Brown
OC Kyle Mutcher
WR Donald Jones
RB Joique Bell (Avatar)

All of these guys are coming in at the perfect time for UDFA's. There's a new regime, a change to a new defense, and an overall need for talent. They're joining a group of softies that had been used to Camp Jauron for the last 4 years or so.

They've all got a huge opportunity to work hard and make the team. I wouldn't be surprised to see a large number of these guys make the final roster.

DesertFox24
05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Draft Boy Troup is technically a small school prospect as well. Conference USA is not a well known conference either.

I do agree with you though, I love the fact that our team is going out and searching for talent.

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Draft Boy Troup is technically a small school prospect as well. Conference USA is not a well known conference either.

I do agree with you though, I love the fact that our team is going out and searching for talent.

To me no. I dont think C-USA is a small school conference. I think its extremely underrated in terms of quality football. I love to watch CUSA football especially teams like UTEP, UCF, ECU, Houston, Tulsa, SMU and Southern Miss play.

I think Southern Miss particularly is loaded with some serious talent that will be NFL bound in the next few years.

DT Anthony Gray is a stud 3-4 NT prospect
RB Damion Fletcher
QB Austin Davis
QB Montavious Young
WR DeAndre Brown best WR nobody has heard about
S Eddie Hicks

WeAreArthurMoates
05-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Not sold on that, no size, and doesnt have another gear speed wise.

When I watch his tape I dont see NFL speed. He will need to work hard on his routes but Donald Jones is the same kind of player with better speed and a better build.

Roosevelt has a massive uphill battle ahead of him. He need to add weight first and foremost. One person told me though he's listed in the 180's he played at UB in the low 170's. That's not good.

I loved Donald and wanted him in the 6th. He was show impressive at the senior bowl seeing he was 2 days behind everyone.