X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Pepper
    • Apr 2008

Mel Kiper/Todd McShay question

are these guys on espn because they arent good enough to be a scout on an NFL team, or because they choose to be on espn? i would think working for an NFL team would be more rewarding and exciting. if they just arent good enough to be an NFL scout, why does anyone pay attention to them??
  • G Wolly
    • Mar 2004

Re: Mel Kiper/Todd McShay question

Comment

• mikemac2001
      is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Dr. Pepper
      are these guys on espn because they arent good enough to be a scout on an NFL team, or because they choose to be on espn? i would think working for an NFL team would be more rewarding and exciting. if they just arent good enough to be an NFL scout, why does anyone pay attention to them??

thing with kiper i have heard him on the radio talk about other sports and wasn't that bad maybe he scripted what he was going to say but didn't feel like that

so maybe kiper was a sports guy and just went with the draft aspect idk tho

MUCK
      FIAMI

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

Their life in the media is a lot better than a real scout.

they'd be on the road constantly in cheap hotels in college towns watching the game.

these guys are just film monkeys, come up with an opinion and have no recourse when they are wrong. It's not a bad deal. also throw in that they make a lot more than an entry level scout...you have the makings of why their jobs rock.

Kiper can get every pick wrong, praise all the wrong players, but no one will pay a price for his stupidity. he's just entertainment.

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

they get paid more then pro football scouts....

there paid to bring in ratings not necessarily accurate information...

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus

they'd be on the road constantly in cheap hotels in college towns watching the game.

these guys are just film monkeys, come up with an opinion and have no recourse when they are wrong. It's not a bad deal. also throw in that they make a lot more than an entry level scout...you have the makings of why their jobs rock.

Kiper can get every pick wrong, praise all the wrong players, but no one will pay a price for his stupidity. he's just entertainment.
            what he said.
            Especially the "life on the road" and "money" aspects of it.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I bet Kiper never played a single down of organized football in his life. I'd trust his opinion as far as I can throw him.

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

from what I saw Kiper's first round picks were right most of the time. still can't stand him tho.
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                  Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by imbondz
                  from what I saw Kiper's first round picks were right most of the time. still can't stand him tho.
                  If you read enough mock drafts out there you'll get pretty close.

I had like 4 wrong in my top 15.

Comment

• JCBills
                    • Jan 2010

Many NFL scouts have a sore spot for failed NFL scouts who enter the media and attempt to critique the work of NFL scouts who have not yet failed.

Many NFL scouts have a sore spot for failed NFL scouts who enter the media and attempt to critique the work of NFL scouts who have not yet failed.

Even more NFL scouts have a sore spot for guys who were never NFL scouts, couldn't be if they wanted to, and then attempt to critique the work of folks who became NFL scouts.

Once upon a time, Mel Kiper was the primary target of NFL scouts; Kiper has been supplanted by his on-air protege/rival at ESPN, Todd McShay. As McShay's profile increases, and as he takes on the likes of quarterback Jimmy Clausen for reasons that many league insiders believe have no merit, McShay becomes a magnet for criticism.

"Most people at my level feel he is a joke," a veteran NFL scout told us via e-mail. "People in the league respect Kiper. He is not a true scout but he does work at it. A lot of his info he gets from connections in the league, and over the years he has made quite a few. When he was younger he used to burn some bridges. He doesn't do that any more."

So what about McShay?
                    Read the full story.

Comment

• B-DON
                      hi
                      • Mar 2004

well mcshay has been right so far on clausen

Comment

• Novacane
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by B-DON

Yeah. How can they trash McShay. He said Clausen should be a 2nd rounder and 32 NFL teams agreed with him.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus

summed it up perfectly.
                          Last edited by Ingtar33; 04-27-2010, 05:30 PM.
                          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• JCBills
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by B-DON
                            One thing so far in a sea of horrid mistakes by McShay.

Comment

• Akhippo
                              • Nov 2002

Everyone getting so upset with what these guys say is the funny part. If you are actually looking for inside from ANY talking head on tv youre already down two strikes.

These guys are there to bring information to the biggest thing in spring... The nfl draft. They are just the lucky ones that have the job all of us wish we had.

And anybody that cracks their mocks pays way to much attention to the mocks. The minute a trade goes down the mock is busted.

There is no real information out there at all. The ESPN rumor page, Clayton, Mort, Schefter, NFL live, Total Access. All there to pique your interest until the real thing happens.

I just check the mocks to buy my Spiller, Bulaga, Williams, Okung, Clausen, McClain jersey ahead of time.
                              Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

Working...
                              X