PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper/Todd McShay question

Dr. Pepper
04-27-2010, 01:50 PM
are these guys on espn because they arent good enough to be a scout on an NFL team, or because they choose to be on espn? i would think working for an NFL team would be more rewarding and exciting. if they just arent good enough to be an NFL scout, why does anyone pay attention to them??

G Wolly
04-27-2010, 01:51 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3446/3377765964_233e49085d.jpg

mikemac2001
04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
are these guys on espn because they arent good enough to be a scout on an NFL team, or because they choose to be on espn? i would think working for an NFL team would be more rewarding and exciting. if they just arent good enough to be an NFL scout, why does anyone pay attention to them??

thing with kiper i have heard him on the radio talk about other sports and wasn't that bad maybe he scripted what he was going to say but didn't feel like that

so maybe kiper was a sports guy and just went with the draft aspect idk tho

trapezeus
04-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Their life in the media is a lot better than a real scout.

they'd be on the road constantly in cheap hotels in college towns watching the game.

these guys are just film monkeys, come up with an opinion and have no recourse when they are wrong. It's not a bad deal. also throw in that they make a lot more than an entry level scout...you have the makings of why their jobs rock.

Kiper can get every pick wrong, praise all the wrong players, but no one will pay a price for his stupidity. he's just entertainment.

ddaryl
04-27-2010, 02:01 PM
they get paid more then pro football scouts....

there paid to bring in ratings not necessarily accurate information...

patmoran2006
04-27-2010, 02:02 PM

they'd be on the road constantly in cheap hotels in college towns watching the game.

these guys are just film monkeys, come up with an opinion and have no recourse when they are wrong. It's not a bad deal. also throw in that they make a lot more than an entry level scout...you have the makings of why their jobs rock.

Kiper can get every pick wrong, praise all the wrong players, but no one will pay a price for his stupidity. he's just entertainment.

what he said.
Especially the "life on the road" and "money" aspects of it.

Mr. Miyagi
04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
I bet Kiper never played a single down of organized football in his life. I'd trust his opinion as far as I can throw him.

imbondz
04-27-2010, 02:24 PM
from what I saw Kiper's first round picks were right most of the time. still can't stand him tho.

Mr. Miyagi
04-27-2010, 02:31 PM
from what I saw Kiper's first round picks were right most of the time. still can't stand him tho.
If you read enough mock drafts out there you'll get pretty close.

I had like 4 wrong in my top 15.

JCBills
04-27-2010, 02:40 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/31/todd-mcshay-backlash-builds/

Many NFL scouts have a sore spot for failed NFL scouts who enter the media and attempt to critique the work of NFL scouts who have not yet failed.

Even more NFL scouts have a sore spot for guys who were never NFL scouts, couldn't be if they wanted to, and then attempt to critique the work of folks who became NFL scouts.

Once upon a time, Mel Kiper was the primary target of NFL scouts; Kiper has been supplanted by his on-air protege/rival at ESPN, Todd McShay. As McShay's profile increases, and as he takes on the likes of quarterback Jimmy Clausen (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/29/cerrato-thinks-mcshay-has-bad-information-on-clausen/) for reasons that many league insiders believe have no merit, McShay becomes a magnet for criticism.

"Most people at my level feel he is a joke," a veteran NFL scout told us via e-mail. "People in the league respect Kiper. He is not a true scout but he does work at it. A lot of his info he gets from connections in the league, and over the years he has made quite a few. When he was younger he used to burn some bridges. He doesn't do that any more."

So what about McShay?

Read the full story.

B-DON
04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
well mcshay has been right so far on clausen

Novacane
04-27-2010, 05:08 PM

Yeah. How can they trash McShay. He said Clausen should be a 2nd rounder and 32 NFL teams agreed with him.

Ingtar33
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM

summed it up perfectly.

JCBills
04-27-2010, 06:21 PM

One thing so far in a sea of horrid mistakes by McShay.

Akhippo
04-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Everyone getting so upset with what these guys say is the funny part. If you are actually looking for inside from ANY talking head on tv youre already down two strikes.

These guys are there to bring information to the biggest thing in spring... The nfl draft. They are just the lucky ones that have the job all of us wish we had.

And anybody that cracks their mocks pays way to much attention to the mocks. The minute a trade goes down the mock is busted.

There is no real information out there at all. The ESPN rumor page, Clayton, Mort, Schefter, NFL live, Total Access. All there to pique your interest until the real thing happens.

I just check the mocks to buy my Spiller, Bulaga, Williams, Okung, Clausen, McClain jersey ahead of time.