Rumor: Regier named V.P. Lindy to GM, Dineen new head coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Rumor: Regier named V.P. Lindy to GM, Dineen new head coach?

Versus during the second intermission said this,

that the Sabres could be playing musical chairs in the front office,

Regier would be still be with the team as V.P. but would not be GM. Instead Lindy Ruff would be bumped upstairs and become the new GM and Kevin Dineen Portland Pirates (Sabres farm team) head coach would be hired as the new head coach of the Sabres.

The Sabres like Dineen and don't want to lose him to another NHL team that has an open coaching position. Plus he's coached Gerbe, Kennedy, Ennis in Portland.
    Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 04-27-2010, 10:11 PM.
  • DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: Rumor: Regier named V.P. Lindy to GM, Dineen new head coach?

I flipped off Versus to watch CNBC, but if this is true, I'd be ok with it. I like Kevin Dineen - I remember reading a very good story about him in the WSJ (or maybe it was the USA Today). I remember reading and it made Dineen out to be a very high character guy.

Meanwhile, what the Versus guy has some very good credibility, since the Columbus Blue Jackets (who fired Ken Hitch**** and need a coach), as well as other clubs, are apparently targeting him. Jacque Lamaire just retired in New Jersey, too, so they will be needing a coach, also. Atlanta and Tampa are also looking at coaches.

^^ that article also gives some insight into what kindof guy Dineen is. He definitely values toughness and physical play from his team.. something the Sabres could use
    Last edited by DMBcrew36; 04-27-2010, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
      • Jan 2003

I wonder why Cunneyworth never got a shot at coach?

Comment

• SabreEleven
        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
        I flipped off Versus to watch CNBC, but if this is true, I'd be ok with it. I like Kevin Dineen - I remember reading a very good story about him in the WSJ (or maybe it was the USA Today). I remember reading and it made Dineen out to be a very high character guy.

Meanwhile, what the Versus guy has some very good credibility, since the Columbus Blue Jackets (who fired Ken Hitch**** and need a coach), as well as other clubs, are apparently targeting him. Jacque Lamaire just retired in New Jersey, too, so they will be needing a coach, also.

^^ that article also gives some insight into what kindof guy Dineen is. He definitely values toughness and physical play from his team.. something the Sabres could use
        Except we don't have the guys to carry this out.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SabreEleven
          Except we don't have the guys to carry this out.
          At the moment, no, but the Sabres have been drafting bigger guys the past 2 drafts.

Ruff and Dineen could certainly get their heads together and tweak the roster this offseason, and then again the following offseason, to give Dineen what he needs.
          Last edited by DMBcrew36; 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
            • Feb 2005

Rob Ray vs Kevin Dineen from the Sabres at Flyers game on Nov 10, 1993.via http://www.hockeyfights.com

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

I too would be ok with this. Dineen as a former player could gauge the team and it would work the same with Ruff as GM as well. As DM said I think they have realized they need more size and the last 2 drafts it has been an emphasis.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                • Aug 2002

At the moment, no, but the Sabres have been drafting bigger guys the past 2 drafts.

Ruff and Dineen could certainly their heads together and tweak the roster this offseason, and then again the following offseason, to give Dineen what he needs.
                But it is going to be hard because they are locked into contracts with the "Core" of this team.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                  • Feb 2004

I will try to find out some info
                  GO Gators!!!!!!
                  GO GATORS!!

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

Never liked Dineen as a player. Always thought he was a bit dirty, but he used to kill us too, so maybe that had something to do with it as well. If Ruff and Dineen could get players to play the way they used to play (hard, not dirty), then I would be all for it.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by SabreEleven
                      But it is going to be hard because they are locked into contracts with the "Core" of this team.
                      Well, Roy might not be difficult to move given that he gets points. Not every team will look at a player the way the fans do and the money Roy makes for the points he gets isn't bad. It's the other stuff as a player that he does that infuriates the fans. Pomminville would be a little tougher but not impossible, but do we get draft picks or players. Personally, I would love a guy like Shane Doan, who makes even more money than both of those guys, but brings a lot more to the table albeit less scoring.

Funny thing is, I wouldn't be shocked if Briere, Drury, and Campbell are all bought out this year. At half their salaries or less, they might be good additions, though not the huge players that many want, they at least play hard in the playoffs.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                        • May 2003

Ruff and Dineen could certainly get their heads together and tweak the roster this offseason, and then again the following offseason, to give Dineen what he needs.
                        What makes you think that this organization will get Dineen what he needs if they wouldn't get Ruff what he needed?

Comment

• hydro
                          • Oct 2005

I would actually be ok with this. A little shake-up but not too much.
                          BERNIAC!

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                            What makes you think that this organization will get Dineen what he needs if they wouldn't get Ruff what he needed?
                            Because Ruff would hypothetically become GM, where as Regier was GM when Ruff was coach. Ruff could lobby and get the guys he could've used when he was coach.
                            Last edited by DMBcrew36; 04-28-2010, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                              • May 2003

Because Ruff would hypothetically become GM, where as Regier was GM when Ruff was coach.
                              So Ruff had no factor in the players they picked up or didn't? Will Ruff not be put under the same financial constraints? This move looks like the same old, same old from this organization.
                              Last edited by TheGhostofJimKelly; 04-28-2010, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X