PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Regier named V.P. Lindy to GM, Dineen new head coach?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Versus during the second intermission said this,

that the Sabres could be playing musical chairs in the front office,

Regier would be still be with the team as V.P. but would not be GM. Instead Lindy Ruff would be bumped upstairs and become the new GM and Kevin Dineen Portland Pirates (Sabres farm team) head coach would be hired as the new head coach of the Sabres.

The Sabres like Dineen and don't want to lose him to another NHL team that has an open coaching position. Plus he's coached Gerbe, Kennedy, Ennis in Portland.

DMBcrew36
04-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I flipped off Versus to watch CNBC, but if this is true, I'd be ok with it. I like Kevin Dineen - I remember reading a very good story about him in the WSJ (or maybe it was the USA Today). I remember reading and it made Dineen out to be a very high character guy.

Meanwhile, what the Versus guy has some very good credibility, since the Columbus Blue Jackets (who fired Ken Hitch**** and need a coach), as well as other clubs, are apparently targeting him. Jacque Lamaire just retired in New Jersey, too, so they will be needing a coach, also. Atlanta and Tampa are also looking at coaches.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/04/18/dineens-approach-draws-high-marks.html?sid=101

^^ that article also gives some insight into what kindof guy Dineen is. He definitely values toughness and physical play from his team.. something the Sabres could use

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I wonder why Cunneyworth never got a shot at coach?

SabreEleven
04-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I flipped off Versus to watch CNBC, but if this is true, I'd be ok with it. I like Kevin Dineen - I remember reading a very good story about him in the WSJ (or maybe it was the USA Today). I remember reading and it made Dineen out to be a very high character guy.

Meanwhile, what the Versus guy has some very good credibility, since the Columbus Blue Jackets (who fired Ken Hitch**** and need a coach), as well as other clubs, are apparently targeting him. Jacque Lamaire just retired in New Jersey, too, so they will be needing a coach, also.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/04/18/dineens-approach-draws-high-marks.html?sid=101

^^ that article also gives some insight into what kindof guy Dineen is. He definitely values toughness and physical play from his team.. something the Sabres could use

Except we don't have the guys to carry this out.

DMBcrew36
04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Except we don't have the guys to carry this out.

At the moment, no, but the Sabres have been drafting bigger guys the past 2 drafts.

Ruff and Dineen could certainly get their heads together and tweak the roster this offseason, and then again the following offseason, to give Dineen what he needs.

DMBcrew36
04-27-2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3RvbBRKZQ8

The Spaz
04-27-2010, 10:51 PM
I too would be ok with this. Dineen as a former player could gauge the team and it would work the same with Ruff as GM as well. As DM said I think they have realized they need more size and the last 2 drafts it has been an emphasis.

SabreEleven
04-27-2010, 11:02 PM
At the moment, no, but the Sabres have been drafting bigger guys the past 2 drafts.

Ruff and Dineen could certainly their heads together and tweak the roster this offseason, and then again the following offseason, to give Dineen what he needs.

But it is going to be hard because they are locked into contracts with the "Core" of this team.

tampabay25690
04-28-2010, 06:35 AM
I will try to find out some info

chernobylwraiths
04-28-2010, 06:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3RvbBRKZQ8

Never liked Dineen as a player. Always thought he was a bit dirty, but he used to kill us too, so maybe that had something to do with it as well. If Ruff and Dineen could get players to play the way they used to play (hard, not dirty), then I would be all for it.

chernobylwraiths
04-28-2010, 07:05 AM
But it is going to be hard because they are locked into contracts with the "Core" of this team.

Well, Roy might not be difficult to move given that he gets points. Not every team will look at a player the way the fans do and the money Roy makes for the points he gets isn't bad. It's the other stuff as a player that he does that infuriates the fans. Pomminville would be a little tougher but not impossible, but do we get draft picks or players. Personally, I would love a guy like Shane Doan, who makes even more money than both of those guys, but brings a lot more to the table albeit less scoring.

Funny thing is, I wouldn't be shocked if Briere, Drury, and Campbell are all bought out this year. At half their salaries or less, they might be good additions, though not the huge players that many want, they at least play hard in the playoffs.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-28-2010, 07:10 AM

Ruff and Dineen could certainly get their heads together and tweak the roster this offseason, and then again the following offseason, to give Dineen what he needs.

What makes you think that this organization will get Dineen what he needs if they wouldn't get Ruff what he needed?

hydro
04-28-2010, 07:32 AM
I would actually be ok with this. A little shake-up but not too much.

DMBcrew36
04-28-2010, 08:05 AM
What makes you think that this organization will get Dineen what he needs if they wouldn't get Ruff what he needed?

Because Ruff would hypothetically become GM, where as Regier was GM when Ruff was coach. Ruff could lobby and get the guys he could've used when he was coach.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Because Ruff would hypothetically become GM, where as Regier was GM when Ruff was coach.

So Ruff had no factor in the players they picked up or didn't? Will Ruff not be put under the same financial constraints? This move looks like the same old, same old from this organization.

DMBcrew36
04-28-2010, 08:07 AM
So Ruff had no factor in the players they picked up or didn't?

Ruff, Regier, Quinn, and others certainly sit in a room and discuss everything, but I'm sure Regier has definitely been the biggest 'player' in what happens during free agency and with trades.

JD
04-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Personally, I think this year was just another step in the rebuilding process that started a few years back. I'm not worried, and I actually like this move.

mchurchfie
04-28-2010, 08:45 AM
The Buffalo way. When the FO and coaches fall short, what do you do? Promote them.

SabreEleven
04-28-2010, 09:11 AM
As long as Quinn is making hockey decision, this team will never win a Stanely Cup

DMBcrew36
04-28-2010, 09:11 AM
The Buffalo way. When the FO and coaches fall short, what do you do? Promote them.

I don't think it's Ruff's fault the team fell short. I don't. The powerplay is the only disappointment (that can be put on Ruff), and I lay some of the blame for that on Ruff, but it's mostly on the players. It's certainly not his fault that the #2 PK in the league took a huge DUMP in it's most important game(s) of the year.

And how has Dineen fallen short? He doesn't deserve a promotion? It seems like every team in the league that needs a coach has him on their short-list.

I understand what you're saying, and my frustrated/pessimistic side wants to sympathize, but I must respectfully disagree.

And as far as the front office goes - Regier is no Brian Burke, but he's no slouch either.

OpIv37
04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
was this an actual rumor, or just the VS guys speculating and thinking out loud to fill time?

DMBcrew36
04-28-2010, 09:23 AM
was this an actual rumor, or just the VS guys speculating and thinking out loud to fill time?

If you read one of my first posts... Kevin Dineen is in high demand and will be gone to coach an NHL club next season, unless ofcourse we find a way to keep him. So I think the Versus guys are speculating, or maybe have heard whispers, that the Sabres have considered the thought of giving Dineen a role with the big club.

I'm curious as to whether Ruff still has the passion for coaching, or if he is getting tired of the grind. I wouldn't be shocked if Ruff was interested in a less stressful role as GM.

trapezeus
04-28-2010, 09:27 AM
i'm with DMB on this one.

Ruff is a great coach...but the guys we've signed long term just don't care about playing under him. and his short comings like developing offense and riding goalies until they are exhausted have cost this team in the past.

so if we have a good internal change that can preserve the best of ruff, but still inject some new life, that's a good thing. I want ruff in the organization, but i think with the long term guys we've signed, we need a new talking mouth to reach them...and if dineen cant, then it's time to ship them out.

The King
04-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Dineen another player the B's used to own.

JD
04-28-2010, 09:50 AM
As long as Quinn is making hockey decision, this team will never win a Stanely Cup
I don't think it's Quinn we have to worry about.

SabreEleven
04-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Ultimately, yes. He thinks he is a hockey guy but he is a real estate guy.

SabreEleven
04-28-2010, 11:11 AM

This says it all...We have a real estate guy evaluating hockey guys.... We are going no where for a long time.

A year ago at this time, Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn was busy conducting what he called "the most thorough top-to-bottom evaluation ever done here.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/27/1033066/regier-model-for-sabres-didnt.html

Nighthawk
04-28-2010, 12:14 PM
This team needs to change it's core...that is the problem...too soft, too small and no desire.

SkateZilla
04-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Ruff wanted players, From what i remember,

Ruff Lobby'd for Briere and Drury,

Ruff also Pushed for Bernier, Zubrus, and Grier.

Briere and Drury were an Offensive Hit (Both had Career Numbers in Buffalo), and Drury was known more for leadership/clutch.

Zubrus, Bernier and Grier were physical players, Zubrus shoulda stayed, bring back Bernier and Zubrus and put them with Grier, or better yet, just bring back Drury and Zubrus.

Poms can Go.. Roy might do well under Capt. D as a Coach,
Prop Timmy with some decent wingers

chernobylwraiths
04-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Ruff wanted players, From what i remember,

Ruff Lobby'd for Briere and Drury,

Ruff also Pushed for Bernier, Zubrus, and Grier.

Briere and Drury were an Offensive Hit (Both had Career Numbers in Buffalo), and Drury was known more for leadership/clutch.

Zubrus, Bernier and Grier were physical players, Zubrus shoulda stayed, bring back Bernier and Zubrus and put them with Grier, or better yet, just bring back Drury and Zubrus.

Poms can Go.. Roy might do well under Capt. D as a Coach,
Prop Timmy with some decent wingers

Ruff couldn't get Bernier to play for him, so I don't mind the trade at all. As a matter of fact, as a 3rd defenseman, Rivet was OK. Plus, he and Montadour were the only ones on the blueline to show any grit. Meyers needs to learn that.

Zubrus was physical, but brought in to be a scorer (like Torres) and was relegated to a checker. It's one of the other things I didn't like about Ruff is that whoever they brought in he tried to make a checker. How the hell was Torres supposed to score when he kept him playing with Mair?

Honestly, out of Roy, Pomminville, Stafford and Connolly, the order I would keep them would be:
1. Pomminville
2. Stafford
3. Roy
4. Connolly

Pomminville isn't a leader, he is a complementary player. I even saw him checking occasionally in the playoffs. Stafford and Roy are interchangable, but at least Stafford doesn't give away the puck all the time, nor does he dive, or ***** all the time. His potential window is rapidly closing though.

SabreEleven
04-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Ruff couldn't get Bernier to play for him, so I don't mind the trade at all. As a matter of fact, as a 3rd defenseman, Rivet was OK. Plus, he and Montadour were the only ones on the blueline to show any grit. Meyers needs to learn that.

Zubrus was physical, but brought in to be a scorer (like Torres) and was relegated to a checker. It's one of the other things I didn't like about Ruff is that whoever they brought in he tried to make a checker. How the hell was Torres supposed to score when he kept him playing with Mair?

Honestly, out of Roy, Pomminville, Stafford and Connolly, the order I would keep them would be:
1. Pomminville
2. Stafford
3. Roy
4. Connolly

Pomminville isn't a leader, he is a complementary player. I even saw him checking occasionally in the playoffs. Stafford and Roy are interchangable, but at least Stafford doesn't give away the puck all the time, nor does he dive, or ***** all the time. His potential window is rapidly closing though.

Personally I'd reverse that order. Just because Connolly was coming off an injury and had a bad playoffs, he was the Sabres best forward/playmaker during the regular season on this team. Pussyville is the new Kotalik.

RockStar36
04-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Has there be any more talk on this or was this just chit chat between a couple of guys pretending to know hockey on VS?

YardRat
04-28-2010, 05:35 PM

1. Pomminville
2. Stafford
3. Roy
4. Connolly

I'd ditch all four for a goal-scorer and a grinder that has a little bit of a scoring touch.

hydro
04-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Connolly is the epitome of why this team isn't built for the playoffs. Along with Pom Poms they just can't handle the physicality. You can only have a few of those guys on your team. We have way too many.

Buffalogic
04-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Pominville is useless. He can't create anything ever and needs to be totally spoonfed to get a goal. He plays no defense and he's anti-physical. All that adds up to really expendable for me!

Typ0
04-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Now Regier, Ruff and Quinn are all having a big press conference tomorrow. Is this what this conference is about?

SabreEleven
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Now Regier, Ruff and Quinn are all having a big press conference tomorrow. Is this what this conference is about?

Telling everbody how tough it is and the Sabres are going in the right direction, we have a good young core and we'll be doing a top to bottom evaluation blah, blah, blah....oh yea, probably the only good thing is what we already know...the 3rd jersey is going to be permenant and they be introducing a new road jersey but they'll **** that up and keep everybody guessing until the first road game of the year...Jesus Christ, this organization can't do **** right.

Demon
04-28-2010, 09:57 PM

No, they do this every year. I think every team does it. It's basically a state of the union address for the team.

Is this rumor true? How come no other forum or reporter has commented it this yet?

JD
04-28-2010, 10:46 PM

1. Pomminville
2. Stafford
3. Roy
4. Connolly

Wheres the "sarcasm" smiley?

Stafford, REALLY!? When in god's name would make you pick Roy or Connolly over that BUST?

Michael82
04-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Personally I'd reverse that order. Just because Connolly was coming off an injury and had a bad playoffs, he was the Sabres best forward/playmaker during the regular season on this team. Pussyville is the new Kotalik.

Sorry, but I'm done buying the injury excuse! As it is right now, Tim Connolly has ZERO goals in the last 22 playoff games! That's ****ing ridiculous! He should be scoring lots of them. I'm sick of his being a pussy on the ice and now he can't even score goals. I want him GONE!

JD
04-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Sorry, but I'm done buying the injury excuse! As it is right now, Tim Connolly has ZERO goals in the last 22 playoff games! That's ****ing ridiculous! He should be scoring lots of them. I'm sick of his being a pussy on the ice and now he can't even score goals. I want him GONE!

To get to the playoffs, one has to get us the points. Connolly got us to the playoffs.. played coming off of an injury. I'd give him another year.

chernobylwraiths
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
To get to the playoffs, one has to get us the points. Connolly got us to the playoffs.. played coming off of an injury. I'd give him another year.

So did Kotalik.

Michael82
04-29-2010, 02:54 PM
So did Kotalik.
:hi5:

JD
04-29-2010, 03:59 PM
So did Kotalik.
And how has our PP been since?

:1:

SabreEleven
04-29-2010, 04:51 PM
So did Kotalik.

No he didn't. Did you forget the Sabres didn't make the playoffs the last two years? AFTER we got rid of him, we made the playoffs and we wasn't the reason we made it in 06 and 07.

chernobylwraiths
04-29-2010, 05:48 PM
No he didn't. Did you forget the Sabres didn't make the playoffs the last two years? AFTER we got rid of him, we made the playoffs and we wasn't the reason we made it in 06 and 07.

I'm saying Kotalik helped get us points and was worthless otherwise, especially for the playoffs. Same with Roy, Pomminville and Connolly. The ONLY reason we made the playoffs this year is because of Ryan Miller. With an even above average goalie to average goalie, this team doesn't make it. What about the other stats I posted AFTER Connolly got back from his injury against the Senators. He played at the end of the season in the President's Cup year and in all 16 playoff games that year getting a grand total of 9 assists. He has done virtually nothing since that playoffs vs the Senators when he was hit. The NHL has gone back to clutch and grab hockey, he is DONE.