PDA

View Full Version : Weddings... "WHO PAYS?"

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Just wondering for those of you who are married. Who foot the bill?

For a lot of my buddies it was paid for by parents. In my case paid for by me and my Fiance.

My parents aren't rolling in cash and my girl's mother passed last year and she doesn't really speak to her father.

EricStratton
04-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Of course it was 17 years ago but Angela and I paid for everything we wanted and her folks paid a couple extra things that we didn't think were needed but they did.

My parents and three older brothers paid the bar tab at the rehearsal dinner.

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2010, 09:07 AM
We paid for mostly everything.

My in-laws don't do that well but they helped on a few things.

My parents gave me some money as wedding presents.

OpIv37
04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Dora and I paid for most of ours. My parents helped with a few things, and her dad picked up the bill for the reception because we only had about 25 people at a restaurant.

I think it basically comes down to who has the money.

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2010, 09:13 AM
I love how you still refer to your wife as Dora. :rofl: I love it!

Dude
I think it basically comes down to who has the money.this

EricStratton
At your age Thurm I'd figure most of it would fall you the two of you anyway.

psubills62
04-29-2010, 09:14 AM
My wife's parents paid for the wedding, and my parents gave us a monetary gift that essentially paid for our honeymoon.

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2010, 09:14 AM
We even paid for everyone's tuxes and bridesmaids dresses. Is that common practice?

OpIv37
04-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Oh, and Thurm, this is the best advice that I can give you:

Do NOT go into huge amounts of debt for your wedding. It's just not worth it. Figure out a budget based on what you and your fiance can afford and stick to it. You don't want to start a marriage already in debt.

We had a small, inexpensive wedding and it was a great decision. Yours doesn't necessarily have to be small- you're older and further along in your career that we were, so you can probably afford more- but it does have to be within your means.

EricStratton
04-29-2010, 09:17 AM
We even paid for everyone's tuxes and bridesmaids dresses. Is that common practice?

I was in a wedding a few years ago for a friend who was 38 at the time and he offered to pay for the them also.

4 of the 5 guys turned him down but the offer was on the table

mercyrule
04-29-2010, 09:18 AM
I paid for mine

Iehoshua
04-29-2010, 09:21 AM
We're still paying...

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Oh, and Thurm, this is the best advice that I can give you:

Do NOT go into huge amounts of debt for your wedding. It's just not worth it. Figure out a budget based on what you and your fiance can afford and stick to it. You don't want to start a marriage already in debt.

We had a small, inexpensive wedding and it was a great decision. Yours doesn't necessarily have to be small- you're older and further along in your career that we were, so you can probably afford more- but it does have to be within your means.
I was paying off our wedding for 3 years afterwards. :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Dora and I paid for most of ours. My parents helped with a few things, and her dad picked up the bill for the reception because we only had about 25 people at a restaurant.

I think it basically comes down to who has the money.
Well the reception is what I am talking about man. The church for the wedding costs 200 bucks. The reception and all that BS is already almost 8Gs, and I didn't go too extravegant.

On a side note I have to take an 8 ****ING hour class to get married in her church. What a ****ing waste of time. I am seriously going to bring a pillow.

Valerie
04-29-2010, 09:35 AM
My parents paid for the reception and we had about 150 people there, open bar, sit down meal. Bill and I paid for everything else, including the rehearsal dinner, which was a barbeque at my parents house open to all out-of-town guests, not just the wedding party. It actually turned out very nice. We set a budget and went over, but not by much. I think at the end of the day we had a very small debt on our credit card, but we had it all paid off within a year.

Valerie
04-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Well the reception is what I am talking about man. The church for the wedding costs 200 bucks. The reception and all that BS is already almost 8Gs, and I didn't go too extravegant.

On a side note I have to take an 8 ****ING hour class to get married in her church. What a ****ing waste of time. I am seriously going to bring a pillow.
Eight hours is nothing. Bill and I had a weekend retreat that started Friday night, and continued all day Saturday and all day Sunday. I actually found it very interesting and well worth my time.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I was paying off our wedding for 3 years afterwards. :ill:
Thankfully we are going to be able to pay for it upfront. Hopefully we make some money back but I am not worried about it.

A cool thing is my one buddy is giving us a good amount towards the honeymoon.

Historian
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
WE split things up:

My folks paid for the rehersal dinner, and the limo.
Her folks paid for the dinner.
Her Grandma bought her gown.
We bought all our own flowers, church fees, paper products, and paid for our own honeymoon.

And my alcoholic Mother in law extended the bar for an extra hour and a half.

The matchbooks, invites, and ****tail napkins were 700 alone. You can certainly shave a few bucks off the tab there.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Eight hours is nothing. Bill and I had a weekend retreat that started Friday night, and continued all day Saturday and all day Sunday. I actually found it very interesting and well worth my time.
Eight hours is 7 hours 45minutes more than I can stand. I just will do everything in my power to not cause a scene.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 10:00 AM
WE split things up:

My folks paid for the rehersal dinner, and the limo.
Her folks paid for the dinner.
Her Grandma bought her gown.
We bought all our own flowers, church fees, paper products, and paid for our own honeymoon.

And my alcoholic Mother in law extended the bar for an extra hour and a half.

The matchbooks, invites, and ****tail napkins were 700 alone. You can certainly shave a few bucks off the tab there.
See with the way these wedding halls are now you can't break up dinner, drinks etc. It is all included.

We are having the reception at Michaels on Southwestern. The package includes booze, chair covers(who the **** cares about chair covers), DJ and deserts.

We got the cake for 100 bucks from that real good place(can't think of the name) on a deal they advertise a few times a year at the Eagle House on Main st.

The only things we still need are the limo, flowers, and invites. We are going to do our own invites.

mercyrule
04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
The only things we still need are the limo, flowers, and invites. We are going to do our own invites.Traditional?

I think everyone should just get married in Vegas.

Valerie
04-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Flowers can get very expensive very quickly! Sometimes doing something other than flowers as centerpieces on the tables can be cheaper. You can also go to Costco and buy flowers in bulk and do your own arrangements. We bought the flowers for the barbeque and the cake at Costco and it was a lot cheaper to do that instead of going to a florist. And, instead of a floral arrangement on the tables, we choose to do candles with 4 flowers on each table. Another way we saved some money on flowers. I think our total floral bill was $1,100.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 10:05 AM
Traditional?

I think everyone should just get married in Vegas.
I will tell you what my girl wasn't even against that since she doesn't have much family left, but my mother isn't able to travel and I didn't want to do something without her.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Flowers can get very expensive very quickly! Sometimes doing something other than flowers as centerpieces on the tables can be cheaper. You can also go to Costco and buy flowers in bulk and do your own arrangements. We bought the flowers for the barbeque and the cake at Costco and it was a lot cheaper to do that instead of going to a florist. And, instead of a floral arrangement on the tables, we choose to do candles with 4 flowers on each table. Another way we saved some money on flowers. I think our total floral bill was $1,100.
1100k for flowers is absolutey ridiculous. That aint happening. The place we are using offers centerpieces that look just fine to me. Who gives a **** really? I know my friends won't even notice.

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2010, 10:08 AM
1100k for flowers is absolutey ridiculous. That aint happening. The place we are using offers centerpieces that look just fine to me. Who gives a **** really? I know my friends won't even notice.
You should be really glad that your girl isn't high maintenance.

Valerie
04-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Things down here cost a lot more than they do up by you, Thurm. $1,100 on flowers was a pretty good deal.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 10:11 AM
You should be really glad that your girl isn't high maintenance.
Yep. Although I would never be with a high maintenence woman. I had a couple over the years and booted them with the quickness.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Things down here cost a lot more than they do up by you, Thurm. $1,100 on flowers was a pretty good deal.
They may be more but not as much more as you think. They certainly aren't double the cost.

Historian
04-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Forgot about the cake.

We had a friend of the family make it for us...it was delicious.

I thin we payed her about 50 bucks.

BlackMetalNinja
04-29-2010, 10:15 AM
My wife and I paid for the majority of things... Her mother did kick us some money to help get a few items, and my parents paid for the venue and 2 kegs... my mother also rounded up some people to prepare the food, though we paid for the food ourselves. I'd say we footed the bill for about 80-85% of the wedding.

I'll agree with Op, also... going all out is kind of silly in my opinion. We kept things very simple and almost everybody we heard from in the weeks afterwards said it was one of the most fun weddings they'd been to. Our actual ceremony and reception were in the same location, the ceremony itself lasted maybe 15-20 minutes at the most... I wouldn't have changed any of it, one of the happier days of my life without a doubt.

It's all going to go by in such a blur anyways that spending a ton of money is only something you do if you want to impress others, it's not for your personal benefit in any other way.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Forgot about the cake.

We had a friend of the family make it for us...it was delicious.

I thin we payed her about 50 bucks.
There you go!!!
Again I wouldn't even care if we had cake either. I am not into sweets.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 10:19 AM
My wife and I paid for the majority of things... Her mother did kick us some money to help get a few items, and my parents paid for the venue and 2 kegs... my mother also rounded up some people to prepare the food, though we paid for the food ourselves. I'd say we footed the bill for about 80-85% of the wedding.

I'll agree with Op, also... going all out is kind of silly in my opinion. We kept things very simple and almost everybody we heard from in the weeks afterwards said it was one of the most fun weddings they'd been to. Our actual ceremony and reception were in the same location, the ceremony itself lasted maybe 15-20 minutes at the most... I wouldn't have changed any of it, one of the happier days of my life without a doubt.

It's all going to go by in such a blur anyways that spending a ton of money is only something you do if you want to impress others, it's not for your personal benefit in any other way.
Oh Trust me we aren't going all out. We went for the most reasonable package we could find.

We actually though about renting a Hall or getting a large tent and have it at my parents in Clarence but after that and all the food, work to prepare, etc the costs were closer to the reception package than you would have thought.

The only true way to get married for a reasonable cost is to Elope.

Weddings back in the day were designed to set up a couple for their future. Stupid commercialized America has made it a big business that crushes a couple finacially.

Bufftp
04-29-2010, 10:22 AM
In the Church I used to Pastor at before I got Ill, we had a big kitchen and a beautiful dining hall. I would do the wedding and then be in the kitchen preparing the reception. It was an inner city church and very few had any money. Church members and the couples family members and friends would also provide food and dishes. They were some of the best receptions I have ever been to.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 10:30 AM
In the Church I used to Pastor at before I got Ill, we had a big kitchen and a beautiful dining hall. I would do the wedding and then be in the kitchen preparing the reception. It was an inner city church and very few had any money. Church members and the couples family members and friends would also provide food and dishes. They were some of the best receptions I have ever been to.
Again can't deny that, but I looked into that and the costs really weren't in line for the amount of work that would have needed to be done. I didn't want to put my mom in a position where she needed to do tons of cooking etc. While she is doing much better I know she would have overdone it.

SABURZFAN
04-29-2010, 10:31 AM
it is the husband "WHO PAYS" whether he stays with her or not. :nod:

you don't believe me? ask Topdog. he left the country to get away from his wife. :snicker:

trapezeus
04-29-2010, 10:44 AM
i think the conventions of old are done. weddings are ridiculously expensive now. it's a whole ordeal.

so everyone's got to chip in. we paid for the christian ceremony and reception. my parents chipped in on the hindu wedding and rehearsal dinner.
We paid for the honeymoon.

it all fit into our budget and when we got back from the honey moon, it was all completely paid for with no debt.

We've been to weddings where people spend so much on the wedding day and then don't go on the honeymoon for a year or two. don't do that.

Invite your family, have your friends (who want to just have fun) they don't need a fancy dinner and all that jazz. just have some food, some drinks and music.

then spend it all on the vacation. after the drama (which always comes from someone no matter how normal you are), you'll want to go somewhere nice and relax with your wife.

justasportsfan
04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
My parents paid for the reception and we had about 150 people there, open bar, sit down meal. Bill and I paid for everything else, including the rehearsal dinner, which was a barbeque at my parents house open to all out-of-town guests, not just the wedding party. It actually turned out very nice. We set a budget and went over, but not by much. I think at the end of the day we had a very small debt on our credit card, but we had it all paid off within a year.
It was a beautiful wedding . :up:

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 10:54 AM
i think the conventions of old are done. weddings are ridiculously expensive now. it's a whole ordeal.

so everyone's got to chip in. we paid for the christian ceremony and reception. my parents chipped in on the hindu wedding and rehearsal dinner.
We paid for the honeymoon.

it all fit into our budget and when we got back from the honey moon, it was all completely paid for with no debt.

We've been to weddings where people spend so much on the wedding day and then don't go on the honeymoon for a year or two. don't do that.

Invite your family, have your friends (who want to just have fun) they don't need a fancy dinner and all that jazz. just have some food, some drinks and music.

then spend it all on the vacation. after the drama (which always comes from someone no matter how normal you are), you'll want to go somewhere nice and relax with your wife.

Yeah well we dont' have anyone to pay for anything so we are on our own. My buddy like I said is throwing in some for our Honeymoon and that is much appreciated.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I decided on a buffet style over sit down even though they were virtually the same price. I have been to a bunch of weddings in the last 2 years and I haven't liked the sit down ones. I hate having to sit there forever. I like getting up and moving around etc. I know my buddies are antsy like I am so I went buffet.

mercyrule
04-29-2010, 11:00 AM
I decided on a buffet style over sit down even though they were virtually the same price. I have been to a bunch of weddings in the last 2 years and I haven't liked the sit down ones. I hate having to sit there forever. I like getting up and moving around etc. I know my buddies are antsy like I am so I went buffet.It's great that you're actually involved in the planning and are thinking about what you'd like as a guest rather than making your guests deal with your lame preferences.

EricStratton
04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
It's great that you're actually involved in the planning and are thinking about what you'd like as a guest rather than making your guests deal with your lame preferences.

She makes a great point. You both are old enough to know what you like and what your friends/family like and it's good to shape your wedding to that.

Plus it's your dime, you may as well enjoy it.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 11:33 AM
It's great that you're actually involved in the planning and are thinking about what you'd like as a guest rather than making your guests deal with your lame preferences.
Yep well the good thing is I just want everyone to have a good time.

Historian
04-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I saw on the news a few month back, how some couple sold the naming rights to their wedding on Ebay, and got just about everything for free, as it advertised for a few companies.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I saw on the news a few month back, how some couple sold the naming rights to their wedding on Ebay, and got just about everything for free, as it advertised for a few companies.
Not a bad idea but I don't have time for all that.

Historian
04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Are we invited to the stag????

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Sure!

Iehoshua
04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Anyone can get married.

Throw a huge expensive celebration after STAYING married for a 25th anniversary.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Anyone can get married.

Throw a huge expensive celebration after STAYING married for a 25th anniversary.
What does that have to do with this thread man????

Iehoshua
04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
What does that have to do with this thread man????
PS3 RULES!!!

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 01:19 PM
PS3 RULES!!!
HOW DARE YOU!

Historian
04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
As a veteran of two of these things, I would like to give you one bit of advice:

No matter how stressful all the shopping and running around is, no matter how much you guys may disagree with your folks on guest lists, seating arrangements, flower colors, yadda, yadda, yadda....no matter how bad the rehersal goes....

It all falls into place on gameday. Everything will go off with little or no trouble.

You will be very busy that day, everybody will want a piece of both of you. (together and separately)

So try to lay back, and enjoy it.

Because before you know it, the day will be over, and a year's worth of hoopla and planning will done with.

Trust me, it goes by very fast...almost unfairly.

Still one of the greatest days of my life though!

chernobylwraiths
04-29-2010, 02:18 PM

Hell no! You got ripped.

My wife's parents paid for: reception, music, church, cake, flowers. My parents gave a check to help pay the bar bill and we paid for the limo and the photographer. Oh, we paid for my wife's dress, all the guys paid for their own tuxes (mine was free) and all the girls paid for their own shoes and dresses.

Valerie
04-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Bill paid for all the guys tuxes as his "thank you" for being in the wedding. I didn't pay for the bridesmaid dresses, but I did get them all a little something as a thank you.

chernobylwraiths
04-29-2010, 02:29 PM

My stag paid for my honeymoon. I made enough because I didn't have any strippers there. I told them I didn't want them and they didn't get them. Raffled off a few bottles and it was a good time.

chernobylwraiths
04-29-2010, 02:32 PM
As a veteran of two of these things, I would like to give you one bit of advice:

No matter how stressful all the shopping and running around is, no matter how much you guys may disagree with your folks on guest lists, seating arrangements, flower colors, yadda, yadda, yadda....no matter how bad the rehersal goes....

It all falls into place on gameday. Everything will go off with little or no trouble.

You will be very busy that day, everybody will want a piece of both of you. (together and separately)

Because before you know it, the day will be over, and a year's worth of hoopla and planning will done with.

To piggyback on this, nothing matters if it DOESN'T go off. If it rains, the cake sucks, and somebody gets drunk and makes an ass of him/herself at the reception, who gives a ****. Have a good time and enjoy it. Sorry about that 8 hour training class though. Your girl picked the wrong church. :D

chernobylwraiths
04-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Bill paid for all the guys tuxes as his "thank you" for being in the wedding. I didn't pay for the bridesmaid dresses, but I did get them all a little something as a thank you.

We gave all of the people in our wedding party a gift. The girls music boxes and the guys pocket watches. I thought that was traditional.

Our wedding had about 125 guests, the reception was at a VFW post and we ate "family style" which is where they bring you plates of food and you pass them around the table to each other. No assigned seating except for two family tables and the head table. I barely remember any of it, I had a great time.

On a side note, since our wedding was paid for mostly by my in-laws, I feel obligated to do the traditional thing and pay for my daughters weddings as well. That is, if I can find a job. I figure I have at least 4 years before I have to start getting nervous.

EricStratton
04-29-2010, 02:43 PM
So what's the age where the kids should be old enough to pay for their own weddings?

I would think once you are north of 30 with a job it should mostly be on you and not your parents, am I wrong?

TacklingDummy
04-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Just wondering for those of you who are married. Who foot the bill?

For a lot of my buddies it was paid for by parents. In my case paid for by me and my Fiance.

My parents aren't rolling in cash and my girl's mother passed last year and she doesn't really speak to her father.
Depends how old you are. If you are in your 30's the only one who should be paying for your wedding is you.

chernobylwraiths
04-29-2010, 02:46 PM
So what's the age where the kids should be old enough to pay for their own weddings?

I would think once you are north of 30 with a job it should mostly be on you and not your parents, am I wrong?

Depends on circumstances. If they have money, I would think that would be taken into effect. Oh, I'm cheap too, you know carnations instead of roses.

Valerie
04-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I guess it all depends on the couple and their financial situation and the parents of the couple and their financial situation. For me, being the only daughter and my parents waiting for a damn long time to see me get married, they were more than happy to help pay for our wedding. They were in a position financially where they could and they wanted to. Plus, they did invite a lot of people who weren't necessarily friends of mine. They have been to a lot of weddings and wanted to host one. Only one of my brothers is married and he got married before a Justice of the Peace, so they weren't able to celebrate a wedding of any of their children and I guess it was something they wanted to do. With my mom's physical situation, she isn't able to help or do a lot, so my parents supplement physical help with financial help. They're doing this with their first grandchild too.

EricStratton
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Depends on circumstances. If they have money, I would think that would be taken into effect. Oh, I'm cheap too, you know carnations instead of roses.

That's why I put in the job part. I just figure by that point the couple should be able to cover the costs themselves unless they have to put on a "show wedding" for their parents sake.

Then by all means the parents shoudl cover the extra costs.

Dujek
04-29-2010, 03:00 PM
My in-laws paid for the reception dinner, we paid for the reception after party, wedding cars, suits, gifts and honeymoon. We got the church, organist and soloist for very little as my dad was the minister, my mum was the organist and one of our friends sang for a bottle of (very nice) red wine. The band at the reception cost us a crate of beer and the cost of the rental for the PA system, because they were guys I used to jam with at different times.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 03:55 PM
My in-laws paid for the reception dinner, we paid for the reception after party, wedding cars, suits, gifts and honeymoon. We got the church, organist and soloist for very little as my dad was the minister, my mum was the organist and one of our friends sang for a bottle of (very nice) red wine. The band at the reception cost us a crate of beer and the cost of the rental for the PA system, because they were guys I used to jam with at different times.
What is a Reception after party? Every wedding reception I have been to generally goes to midnight/ 1am.

mercyrule
04-29-2010, 03:56 PM
What is a Reception after party? Every wedding reception I have been to generally goes to midnight/ 1am.Maybe that's when the party moves to Aggieville after the bride and groom have made their exit.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Well I will say that so far there has been 0 arguing on anything because I don't really care too much about a lot of this crap and as I have indicated she is very low maintenence.

Cool man!!! I am sure it will go well!

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Maybe that's when the party moves to Aggieville after the bride and groom have made their exit.
I aint paying for a party I am not going to .

mercyrule
04-29-2010, 04:00 PM
I aint paying for a party I am not going to .I suspect it's really the reception stuff that doesn't have to do with the reception dinner.

But after-wedding Aggieville parties rock!

And after-Aggie parties rock more!

Discotrish
04-30-2010, 10:46 AM

No that is not normal. Hopefully you only went with one of each, but it doesn't sound like it. But that was very generous.

I now have wedding matchbooks that have lasted longer than the marriages they commemorated. Probably because I'm not a smoker.

Patti

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
No that is not normal. Hopefully you only went with one of each, but it doesn't sound like it. But that was very generous.

I now have wedding matchbooks that have lasted longer than the marriages they commemorated. Probably because I'm not a smoker.

Patti
I aint paying for anyone tuxes. Although we don't have a big wedding party. Just me My brother and my best friend. She has her sister and her best friend.

HAMMER
04-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Sounds like you are doing a good job of planning Thurm. The most important part of your reception is having a properly stocked and staffed bar. Nothing sucks more than not being able to get a drink quickly.

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Sounds like you are doing a good job of planning Thurm. The most important part of your reception is having a properly stocked and staffed bar. Nothing sucks more than not being able to get a drink quickly.
Thanks sir!

That is my number 1 focus. I am all over that. I upgraded to the top shelf liquors as well.

TigerJ
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Tradition has it that the Bride's family pays for wedding and reception. Groom's family pays for the rehearsal dinner. When I got married neither family had much money. We did it on the cheap. The reception featured cake (made by my aunt, a professional cake decorator) finger sandwiches made by the ladies of my wife's church, nuts and candy. No sit down dinner. It was held in the churchWe probably did the whole thing for well under $500. Her parents helped some.

Our son married a girl from a family with no money. The reception was likewise held in the church. I officiated, so we didn't have to pay an officiant, and since I'm the pastor there was no charge for facilities. My wife did all the decorations and the brides family prepared food for the reception. All our son and daughter-in-law had to pay for was her dress, his tux and invitations.

Our daughters haven't gotten married yet.

Captain gameboy
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM
I got married twenty-seven years ago today, in San Francisco.
I paid for dinner for ten the night prior.
The same ten attended the wedding.

I had one day off after the wedding and had to go to Japan for ten days on a Navy fighter thing, so a reception was not an option, and with all of our relatives being from distant states, it really didn't make sense.

No debt, no regrets, twenty-seven years later.

Our daughter will be married on our property.

Dozerdog
04-30-2010, 01:54 PM

They had beer at ours THURM!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Tradition has it that the Bride's family pays for wedding and reception. Groom's family pays for the rehearsal dinner. When I got married neither family had much money. We did it on the cheap. The reception featured cake (made by my aunt, a professional cake decorator) finger sandwiches made by the ladies of my wife's church, nuts and candy. No sit down dinner. It was held in the churchWe probably did the whole thing for well under $500. Her parents helped some.

Our son married a girl from a family with no money. The reception was likewise held in the church. I officiated, so we didn't have to pay an officiant, and since I'm the pastor there was no charge for facilities. My wife did all the decorations and the brides family prepared food for the reception. All our son and daughter-in-law had to pay for was her dress, his tux and invitations.

Our daughters haven't gotten married yet.
Well her mother passed last year and she doesn't talk to her father so that is out.

Can't imagine I am going to do much of a rehearsal dinner. Maybe some pizza, wings and beers .

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 02:11 PM
They had beer at ours THURM!!!!
Oh beers will be flowing at mine also.

Dozerdog
04-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Oh beers will be flowing at mine also.Not the wedding ya big dope, at the 8 hour wedding class over a 3 day weekend

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Not the wedding ya big dope, at the 8 hour wedding class over a 3 day weekend
Oh that Bull****? Well just so happens there is an online class we can take instead. Of course it is twice as expensive, because they know that no one wants to waste their time on going in for 8 hours. It is only a money grab those corrupt ass holes!!!

chernobylwraiths
04-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Not the wedding ya big dope, at the 8 hour wedding class over a 3 day weekend

I think Thurm will try to get a tailgate going for his.

Dozerdog
04-30-2010, 02:31 PM
It is only a money grab those corrupt ass holes!!!

Can I sign your guest book with that line?

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Can I sign your guest book with that line?
SURE!

chernobylwraiths
04-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Oh that Bull****? Well just so happens there is an online class we can take instead. Of course it is twice as expensive, because they know that no one wants to waste their time on going in for 8 hours. It is only a money grab those corrupt ass holes!!!

Mmmm :scratch:

EricStratton
04-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks sir!

That is my number 1 focus. I am all over that. I upgraded to the top shelf liquors as well.

From my experiences at weddings it's not the quality of the booze, it's the quality of the bartenders that matters.

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 02:48 PM
From my experiences at weddings it's not the quality of the booze, it's the quality of the bartenders that matters.
Great point. I will inquire about that.

jamze132
05-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Ya know, the Justice of the Peace is a really cheap route to go! I did it twice, saved me loads of money!

Third time's a charm though, did the wedding chapel thing and it seems to be working out. It also helps to not marry a bi-sexual or a whore. Trust me.

Ground Chuck
05-02-2010, 01:32 PM
The invitations go out yet? You can always buy the real cheap ones and have your fiancee lick them all.