PDA

View Full Version : Nix explains QB approach

The Spaz
04-29-2010, 03:40 PM
In an offseason that has required a lot of planning, hard work and patience, Bills GM Buddy Nix and his front office staff have already faced questions on the heels of their first draft class. Nix, however, in an appearance on Double-X 1090 radio in San Diego Thursday, shed some light as to how the organization felt and still feels about their quarterback situation.

The Bills were criticized up and down by the so called draft experts for not taking a quarterback early in the draft. Buffalo did select Troy’s Levi Brown in round seven. Faced with several other needs for their football team Nix, Vice President of College Scouting Tom Modrak and head coach Chan Gailey viewed the quarterback position as one that was already manned by players every bit as capable as the top prospects in the draft.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Nix-explains-QB-approach/323831e2-caee-4f05-b97c-ed175fc43900

Prov401
04-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I for one am very happy that we didn't take one of the top QB's in this year's draft.

Every one of the relevant QB's, pussy'd out at the combine because they knew they were going to hurt their draft stock. None of them took the opportunity to increase their draft pick, and that is why the drop off in QB's was the talk of the NFL draft.

Last year Sanchez and Stafford grabbed their balls, showed up in front of 32 teams, and proved they had what it took. Both were drafted in the top 5. This year's crop were freightend, and some (Bradford, Clausen), knew they were going to be drafted high, so why risk stumbling at the combine. Only Clausen plummeted because every team was uncertain if he could tranistion into an NFL QB.

Bottom line, this year's class was weak. I truly believe Trent Edwards is a better QB option in the 2010 NFL season than Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, etc.

YardRat
04-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Now Op has three legitimate targets to paint bullseyes on...Nix, Modrak and Gailey.

Buddo
04-29-2010, 05:19 PM
TBH, that became blindingly obvious as soon as they passed on Clausen twice.
I don't have an issue with it, and I fail to see why the fans should either. Nix isn't trying to pull a fast one here. He's absolutely spot on when he says that the likes of Edwards and Brohm have the necessary tools, and quite probably better arms, than Clausen, or most of the rest. It's also easy to fail, when you are nicely set up to. What happened last year, is about as good a recipe for failure offensively, as you are likely to get, and it's actually quite refreshing to hear our GM come out and say so.

justasportsfan
04-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't have a problem with Nix's approach. Like I share the same opinion that Jauron screwed up this team. Nix is trying to see if Gailey can fix this mess before giving up on the players.

Tatonka
04-29-2010, 10:33 PM
totally agree.. and im fine with the approach.

Commissioner
04-30-2010, 01:01 AM
“The offensive coordinator getting fired two weeks before the season starts, your left tackle is cut with a week to go before the first game,” said Nix. “Alex Van Pelt is one of my favorite people and he’s a good football coach, but he was a guy that had not been a coordinator or called plays or coached quarterbacks and he was forced to do all three… within a week. It was formula for disaster and a lot of it (the quarterback) couldn’t control, but it all happened. Everybody wants to put it on the quarterback and try to make a change."

So basically Nix said exactly what I've been saying for months..... kudo's to a man with common sense.

jamze132
04-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Nix must have read my thoughts on this issue prior to the draft.