PDA

View Full Version : Source: Jammal Brown trade is almost certain

BillsWin
04-29-2010, 11:18 PM
I talked to a man tonight with connections to New Orleans Saints left tackle, Jammal Brown, from his college days who told me a trade is almost certain sometime this off season.

Of course we all speculated this, but Brown must sign his tender first if I'm not mistaken.

What does this have to do with the Bills? Well, we need a left tackle and by switching to the 3-4, we suddenly have expendable players. (My opinion)

What do you guys think? Do we have a shot, and do you see the Bills even trying for him?

The Spaz
04-29-2010, 11:21 PM
The usual suspect is available, Whitner...lol I wouldn't mind Brown at all.

PECKERWOOD
04-29-2010, 11:22 PM
He is under 30, thus I think that it's a possibility.

The Spaz
04-29-2010, 11:31 PM
I also realized that Sharper may not return to the Saints so maybe Whitner is an option?

mysticsoto
04-29-2010, 11:51 PM
The Broncos also need a LT now too with Ryan Clady getting hurt. Brown's price just went up. :ill:

mikemac2001
04-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Do u know anything WTF he would make this team 1-2 wins better

Yes 1-2 wins our d will be fine our o needs
a better passing game and this helps alot

don137
04-30-2010, 04:21 AM
I am sure the Bills are exploring it and if the Bills brass feel he is an upgrade then they will try to get him. Sooner than later would be better.

Don't Panic
04-30-2010, 06:17 AM
The Broncos also need a LT now too with Ryan Clady getting hurt. Brown's price just went up. :ill:

Clady is only out for a few weeks... I doubt they put their hat in the Jammal Brown ring.

I think Brown is the best option by far right now. Maybe a player will do it, but if I was them I'd probably want a pick. Would they take a 2nd straight up? If so, I wouldn't think twice.

Night Train
04-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Clady is only out for a few weeks...

or several months

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/2010-04-28-ryan-clady-surgery_N.htm

jamze132
04-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Whitner and a 5th for Brown.

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Why not just sign Flozell Adams?

hydro
04-30-2010, 08:28 AM

There is a reason why he isn't on the Cowboys...

Throne Logic
04-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Floz is an old and declining penalty machine... rather work with Bell if a Brown trade doesn't work out.

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 08:37 AM
There is a reason why he isn't on the Cowboys...
Well what is the reason for the Saints Dumping Brown?

TigerJ
04-30-2010, 08:37 AM
McDaniels is hopeful Clady will be ready for the season. Denver may want some insurance, but the Broncos may not want two starting left tackle salaries on their roster at the same time. If he really thinks Clady will be OK early in the season he may just be looking for a good backup who can step in for a couple games. You would think that Buffalo, looking for a full season starter would be willing to pay a little more. Still it's hard to know what the Bills will do.

hydro
04-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Well what is the reason for the Saints Dumping Brown?

Surplus of LTs. Bushrod and drafting Charles Brown leaves Jammal available.

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Surplus of LTs. Bushrod and drafting Charles Brown leaves Jammal available.
I hear that Charles but why did they obtain those players if Brown was the man?

hydro
04-30-2010, 08:41 AM
I hear that Charles but why did they obtain those players if Brown was the man?

Probably don't want to pay for him :idunno:

Jammal is still in his prime years. Flozell is getting old.

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2010, 08:42 AM
It is also Brown's contract year.

And the Saints will draft BPA, especially after the 1st round.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I would be so freaking happy if we made this move. It would probably take us paying him the highest at the position for him to agree to come here but I'd do that with stipualtions.

NOT THE DUDE...
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
wouldnt u guys rather trade for a young starting solid lt in bushrod?

WeAreArthurMoates
04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
wouldnt u guys rather trade for a young starting solid lt in bushrod?

No Brown is much better than Bushrod. Much more dominant in the run game and is a better pass protector. I'd like Bushrod but would much rather have Brown.

Jeff1220
04-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Gregg Williams and Whitner could be together again. :crush:

mikemac2001
04-30-2010, 10:49 AM

you sure they ever were?

justasportsfan
04-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Dick drafted Whitner.

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Dick drafted Whitner.
Yeah but I heard Williams and Whitner dated a couple years back.

ddaryl
04-30-2010, 10:57 AM

Are you serious. The 35 year old, over weight, penalty machine with hugely declining skill set is the worst idea one can throw out there..

:vomit:

Jeff1220
04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Dick drafted Whitner.

Wow. Time flies when you suck. It doesn't seem that long ago that GW was HC.

nateodoms'bff
04-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Ill pass on Jamaal Brown. Id rather develop a guy on the roster that will be cheap, than spend a draft pick or two on a guy who is looking for a contract and then not live up to it. Which has been the standard in Buffalo. Sign a big name Offensive Lineman to a crippling contract and then watch him not pan out.

Id rather that they coach up Wang or Bell or Meredith and see what happens.

Don't Panic
04-30-2010, 11:59 AM
or several months

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/2010-04-28-ryan-clady-surgery_N.htm

several months from now (April)... here's the link that was right in the middle of the article you shared above. It is entitled "McDaniels hopeful Clady will be ready for the season."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/04/broncos-coach-josh-mcdaniels-hopeful-injured-lt-ryan-clady-will-be-ready-for-regular-season/1

Why would they trade a high pick or good player for Brown when Clady could very likely be back by September?

billz83
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Well this is the second part of free agency and there actually are sum DECENT players STILL available..the 1st part of free agency is GONE and now so is the draft..we still have sum MAJOR needs and supposedly we were going to take care of them thru the second half of free agency and yet they havent signed ANYONE..the bills needa wake up and start signing sum players there is NO CAP this year and if wilson goes CHEAP AGAIN it will be GUARANTEED we will not make the playoffs AGAIN..

ParanoidAndroid
04-30-2010, 03:50 PM
The cap will be back and if the Bills cash strap themselves for a very unlikely playoff run given the current state of the team, where does that leave the franchise?

I hear Josh Reed and JP Losman are available. We do need help at WR and QB.

DrGraves
04-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Seems like this organization has no interest in signing players who would help our team.

It also seems like the organization has a lot of interest in reducing its payroll down to ~ $20

Johnny Bugmenot
04-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Ill pass on Jamaal Brown. Id rather develop a guy on the roster that will be cheap How'd that work out the last time? Oh, wait, he held out and demanded a trade to someone who would pay him what he was worth.

the organization has a lot of interest in reducing its payroll down to ~ $20 There's a fair point to this-- this is the uncapped season, but it's also the season with no salary floor-- meaning the Bills can pretty much pay as little as they want on talent.

New Ro's Greatest
04-30-2010, 10:04 PM
We need to holla at the Saints about getting this guy! GO BILLS:tip:

nateodoms'bff
04-30-2010, 10:11 PM
How'd that work out the last time? Oh, wait, he held out and demanded a trade to someone who would pay him what he was worth.

It worked out pretty great actually. We got rid of a guy who didn't deserve the money he was demanding and he has proven that. The Bills got his best years for cheap.

They should try and do the same thing with Bell and Meredith and Wang. And when the three of them become Jaamal Brown or Jason Peters, then OBD should trade them away for an extra 1st round pick and add to the roster.

This isn't a difficult concept, Im blown away at the fact that people have a hard time understanding that this is how the majority of the starting players in the NFL come to be. They are hard working, coachable kids with great athletic ability, but don't have the flashy pedigree to warrant a high draft pick.

I hope that this front office doesn't make the same mistakes that other "desperate" teams make.

TigerJ
04-30-2010, 11:32 PM
If the Bills are convinced that Jamon Meredith and Bell have lot's of talent that just needs to be developed further, though it's questiohable that they will be that effective YET, they nay try to sign Flozell since that would mean saving a draft pick if the Saints won't accept a player in trade. It the new staff has some doubt that Bell and Meredith will ever develop, they are more inclined to trade for a player in his prime. We really don't know what Nix and Gailey are thinking on this though.

jamze132
05-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Seems like this organization has no interest in signing players who would help our team.

It also seems like the organization has a lot of interest in reducing its payroll down to ~ $20
It seems like the organization is trying to rebuild and their is no reason to bring in a vet stopgap who is only going to hinder anyone else's development. We are not playoff caliber this year and there is no point in trying to act like it. Play the kids!

Johnny Bugmenot
05-01-2010, 09:32 AM
They should try and do the same thing with Bell and Meredith and Wang. And when the three of them become Jaamal Brown or Jason Peters, then OBD should trade them away for an extra 1st round pick and add to the roster. Seriously? What, are the Bills a minor league team?! (Don't answer that one.) Keep him long enough to get good, then let 'em go for the next roster spot. Yeah, that's the way to improve and solidify our offensive line for years to come. What idiocy! Trying to do that is exactly how we ended up with the huge gaping hole in the LT position in the first place-- which is exactly my point.

BertSquirtgum
05-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Seriously? What, are the Bills a minor league team?! (Don't answer that one.) Keep him long enough to get good, then let 'em go for the next roster spot. Yeah, that's the way to improve and solidify our offensive line for years to come. What idiocy! Trying to do that is exactly how we ended up with the huge gaping hole in the LT position in the first place-- which is exactly my point.

you're dumb

nateodoms'bff
05-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Seriously? What, are the Bills a minor league team?! (Don't answer that one.) Keep him long enough to get good, then let 'em go for the next roster spot. Yeah, that's the way to improve and solidify our offensive line for years to come. What idiocy! Trying to do that is exactly how we ended up with the huge gaping hole in the LT position in the first place-- which is exactly my point.

Again, I am blown away that such a simple concept as player development, can be so wildly misunderstood and undervalued.

You dont go out and sign some other teams cast offs. You dont. If the Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints are not actively trying get Jaamal Brown under contract, why should the Bills?

The reason, that you claim, is because the Bills have no players to play the LT position. When in reality, there are 3 players who can play the position. All 3 of them are young and COACHABLE. The big knock on Brown, is the same as Peters and Adams and Gaither and all of the other "elite" LT's available for trade or signing. They are uncoachable. They feel that they are elite and can condition on their own, and just show up on game day and they will succeed. Chan Gailey and this young team need no distractions. They dont need ay me first guys. They need guys who want to compete every week for their roster spot, and who will work hard for that spot. Jaamal Brown is not that player. Neither is Adams or Gaither.

And letting players go in their prime is not always a bad thing. Especially when you have young guys who can step in and fill the whole cheaper and with better play. Look at how terrible Jason Peters was before he was traded. He stunk up the field. The Offensive Line was no worse last season than it was the season before, if anything, the run blocking improved which speaks volumes at how bad it was with Dockery Fowler and Peters.

I hope that the guys on this roster pan out. The O-Line needs to play better, and it has to be immediate. But the last thing that this team needs is to waste money on high priced guy with a bad attitude and poor conditioning habits.

Stewie
05-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Again, I am blown away that such a simple concept as player development, can be so wildly misunderstood and undervalued.

You dont go out and sign some other teams cast offs. You dont. If the Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints are not actively trying get Jaamal Brown under contract, why should the Bills?

The reason, that you claim, is because the Bills have no players to play the LT position. When in reality, there are 3 players who can play the position. All 3 of them are young and COACHABLE. The big knock on Brown, is the same as Peters and Adams and Gaither and all of the other "elite" LT's available for trade or signing. They are uncoachable. They feel that they are elite and can condition on their own, and just show up on game day and they will succeed. Chan Gailey and this young team need no distractions. They dont need ay me first guys. They need guys who want to compete every week for their roster spot, and who will work hard for that spot. Jaamal Brown is not that player. Neither is Adams or Gaither.

And letting players go in their prime is not always a bad thing. Especially when you have young guys who can step in and fill the whole cheaper and with better play. Look at how terrible Jason Peters was before he was traded. He stunk up the field. The Offensive Line was no worse last season than it was the season before, if anything, the run blocking improved which speaks volumes at how bad it was with Dockery Fowler and Peters.

I hope that the guys on this roster pan out. The O-Line needs to play better, and it has to be immediate. But the last thing that this team needs is to waste money on high priced guy with a bad attitude and poor conditioning habits.

Footballoutsiders tracked "I made to the pro bowl didn't I?" Peters as the worst LT in football last year.