PDA

View Full Version : Who were the bills trading up for

DesertFox24
04-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Buddy Nix mentioned that they had a trade in place to move back up into the first round to get a guy they liked I wonder who it was.

My guesses:

Bulaga
Odrick

Anyone have any idea on who the player was????

T-Long
04-30-2010, 09:05 AM
I would say Jerry Hughes or Bulaga

Bill Cody
04-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Based on the way we reached for Troup I would say it was Dan Williams.

Jaybird
04-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Based on the way we reached for Troup I would say it was Dan Williams.

I agree

clumping platelets
04-30-2010, 09:09 AM
I bet it was Dan Williams

jimbohastle51
04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
it was jerry hughes, he would have been the perfect pass rusher in the 3-4. just cause we drafted troup doesnt mean they had to have a nose tackle and got nervous after williams was gone. it just means that troup was their highest player on their board at the time of the pick.... after all they said they never draft a positional need over the best player available on their board at any pick so troup must have been better than every other player available at 41 to nix and gailey :) lol!

Mahdi
04-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Buddy Nix mentioned that they had a trade in place to move back up into the first round to get a guy they liked I wonder who it was.

My guesses:

Bulaga
Odrick

I think it was Dez Bryant. He got taken at #24. Nix said they wanted to trade up to #25 where the Broncos took Tebow but they aborted because the guy they wanted was already taken. The Broncos probably thought we were trying to trade up to take Tebow which is why they panicked and gave up a lot to get the #25 pick.

Mahdi
04-30-2010, 09:51 AM
I bet it was Dan Williams
Nope. Dan Williams was taken #26. Doesn't add up. Listen to the interview. He specifically mentions that the guy they wanted to trade up for was gone before #25.

clumping platelets
04-30-2010, 09:52 AM
They could have been targeting Dan Williams at #25

Mahdi
04-30-2010, 09:57 AM
They could have been targeting Dan Williams at #25
Then he would have still been on the board and they would have made the trade.

Baltimore with the 25th pick was the pick that was up for grabs. Buffalo was trying to trade into it and so was Denver. Denver thought Buffalo was trying to get it to take Tebow as well so they paid a lot for the pick. Once Bryant went off the board at #24 though, Buffalo backed out and Denver ended up at #25.

djjimkelly
04-30-2010, 10:11 AM
i heard on sirius the night of round 1 it was for dan williams.

it was dan williams for sure

justasportsfan
04-30-2010, 10:15 AM
MY source who was in the bills' war room told me that Ralphy told NIx to get on the phone to trade back into the 1st for the guy he wants. Nix got on the phone and asked who we were trading for and Ralphy replied "Spiller"

Ed
04-30-2010, 10:16 AM
it was jerry hughes, he would have been the perfect pass rusher in the 3-4. just cause we drafted troup doesnt mean they had to have a nose tackle and got nervous after williams was gone. it just means that troup was their highest player on their board at the time of the pick.... after all they said they never draft a positional need over the best player available on their board at any pick so troup must have been better than every other player available at 41 to nix and gailey :) lol!
Jerry Hughes didn't go until round 2. It couldn't have been him.

Ed
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Nevermind, I just remembered he went at the end of round 1. It still couldn't have been him though.

jimbohastle51
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM

jerry hughes went 31 overall to the colts, buddy.

jimbohastle51
04-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Nevermind, I just remembered he went at the end of round 1. It still couldn't have been him though.

couldnt have been him though? i dont know why you think that? weather all of you think it or not williams was never our pick at 9. it was a tackle or spiller. they are happy giving kyle williams this year to play nose. troup wont start day one exept on obvious running downs. williams would have been picked at 41 if he was there but they would not have traded up for a position that is filled to take that player. the noses that were available had value at 41 not giving up extra picks to get them in the end of the first. as far as jerry hughes, he was the best pass rusher in this draft, just raw. he was solid his whole career at TCU not just 1 season. also Modrak basically said that Nix was in love with hughes at there conference. do i believe that they were so in love with him that he was an option at 9 no but when they saw graham and morgan go before him i think they saw a chance to trade up and not have to give the farm away to get him. but there where no takers.

madness
04-30-2010, 10:26 AM
It was rumored to be a DT.

ddaryl
04-30-2010, 10:26 AM
My money is on Dan Williams

Mahdi
04-30-2010, 10:28 AM

It could not have been Dan Williams. DW was still on the board at #25 where Buffalo wanted to trade with Baltimore. Nix said they were trying to trade up but the player they wanted was gone, which means it could not have been DW because he was still on the board at #25.

imbondz
04-30-2010, 10:49 AM
MY source who was in the bills' war room told me that Ralphy told NIx to get on the phone to trade back into the 1st for the guy he wants. Nix got on the phone and asked who we were trading for and Ralphy replied "Spiller"

LOL

Ed
04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
couldnt have been him though? i dont know why you think that? weather all of you think it or not williams was never our pick at 9. it was a tackle or spiller. they are happy giving kyle williams this year to play nose. troup wont start day one exept on obvious running downs. williams would have been picked at 41 if he was there but they would not have traded up for a position that is filled to take that player. the noses that were available had value at 41 not giving up extra picks to get them in the end of the first. as far as jerry hughes, he was the best pass rusher in this draft, just raw. he was solid his whole career at TCU not just 1 season. also Modrak basically said that Nix was in love with hughes at there conference. do i believe that they were so in love with him that he was an option at 9 no but when they saw graham and morgan go before him i think they saw a chance to trade up and not have to give the farm away to get him. but there where no takers.
Because if it's true that they were trying to trade up to the #25 spot, but the guy they wanted got drafted earlier, then it couldn't have been Hughes since he went later.

BillsATL
04-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Bryan Bulaga - went at 23

Ed
04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Bryan Bulaga - went at 23
I'm thinking it was Bulaga too. He's the only guy that really warranted a trade up considering we'd be getting great value and he would fill our biggest need.

I don't think we'll ever really know though.

Saratoga Slim
04-30-2010, 11:40 AM

I remember hearing that on draft night too. Of course, we all also heard from Schefter that it was Tebow.

But I'm inclined to agree with you.

psubills62
04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
I remember hearing that on draft night too. Of course, we all also heard from Schefter that it was Tebow.

But I'm inclined to agree with you.

Schefter also reported right when the Eagles traded up in the first round that they were obviously targeting Earl Thomas.

DesertFox24
04-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Just because Williams went 25 does not mean it was him. Nix said he had a deal in place but that the player was gone, so what that means to me is if the player had fallen to a pick then there would have been a trade.

Dan Williams probably was the guy, or if Bulaga had fallen maybe it would have been us.

DesertFox24
04-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Personally I am glad we used all 9 of our picks because we need better depth and starters across the board.

Thanks for the responses though, I remember hearing that but did not see anything on this board about who it was.

Night Train
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
The trading back into the 1st was never verified.

Trying to trade up Friday morning for the Rams 1st pick in Round 2 was for Saffold, I'm guessing. NFL Network and ESPN both reported that. Only the Rams said no and picked him to start off Friday.

Mahdi
04-30-2010, 01:46 PM
The trading back into the 1st was never verified.

Trying to trade up Friday morning for the Rams 1st pick in Round 2 was for Saffold, I'm guessing. NFL Network and ESPN both reported that. Only the Rams said no and picked him to start off Friday.
Yes it was. They spoke to Nix the morning before the 2nd round started and he admitted that they were trying to trade back into the first.

Lexwhat
04-30-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm sure it was Tyson Alualu.

tomz
04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Maybe Bran don Graham, if he had dropped?

Goobylal
04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
It was either Bulaga or Bryant. Williams would have made no sense since he went 26th overall.

And Jerry Hughes is a 4-3 DE.

Novacane
04-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Did we really back out of the deal or did Denver just make the Ravens a better offer?

Buddo
04-30-2010, 05:23 PM
IIRC, The Bills were trying to trade into the spot that the Broncos took Tebow. I'm guessing the Broncos 'overpaid' to get there. Again iirc, the Bills then had a deal in place a couple of spots later, through the Cowboys, but then pulled out because the guy they wanted was gone. Williams was taken directly after Tebow.
I'm pretty certain that comes off of Nix's interviews.
I also think it's a reason why Ralph called out the Broncos for panicking over Tebow. Likely teams knew that the Bills were trying to trade back into the 1st, and assumed it was for Tebow. The reality being it was for Dan Williams.

Buddo
04-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Did we really back out of the deal or did Denver just make the Ravens a better offer?

I think the Broncos made a better offer. See my post above.

JCBills
04-30-2010, 05:44 PM
It was either Bulaga or Bryant. Williams would have made no sense since he went 26th overall.

And Jerry Hughes is a 4-3 DE.

Hughes could play 3-4 OLB no problem.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-30-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't know the exact deal, but what I heard was a deal with Ravens first, though outbid by the Broncos. Then a deal with the Cowboys but this time the Bills backed out.

If that's true, the players they covet must be the players within these two picks. Tebow, Willaims must be one of them.

Hamilton Billsfan
04-30-2010, 06:42 PM

LOL

Thief
04-30-2010, 07:28 PM
It was 100% without a doubt Tim Tebow. They just implemented a run oriented spread offense. They wanted Tebow. And I wouldn't be surprised if they were going to package Lynch in that deal.

Obviously, it fell through when Denver beat them to it and drafted Tebow higher then anyone thought.

Arctic Wild Man
04-30-2010, 08:36 PM
It was 100% without a doubt Tim Tebow. They just implemented a run oriented spread offense. They wanted Tebow. And I wouldn't be surprised if they were going to package Lynch in that deal.

Obviously, it fell through when Denver beat them to it and drafted Tebow higher then anyone thought.

I bet it was Tebow as well. Nix went out of his way to downplay Tebow's abilities while Ralph blasted Denver for overpaying for him. Read between the lines.

jamze132
05-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Who ****ing knows. Regardless we got Troup in the 2nd. If we traded up, who knows who we wouldn't have been able to draft. Carrington comes to mind immediately and I am glad he is on our roster.

tampabay25690
05-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Dan Williams maybe??

bflojohn
05-02-2010, 04:40 PM
O.K., wait a minute here!! IF the braintrust said the player targeted was already gone, then WHY in God's green earth do you talk trade trying to get said player? THAT, my friends totally doesn't make sense!! The only way I see this as feasible is IF the proposed deal was contingent on said player "slipping" to the 25th slot. Therefore the Bills wouldn't have been a threat to Denver in the Tebow sweepstakes, unless the Ravens blatantly lied.... oh never mind, they ALL lie!!!

Aliceinchainsbills15
05-02-2010, 06:17 PM

My guesses:

Bulaga
Odrick

I honestly don't care. The draft has been over and i am happy with the draft picks we got.