PDA

View Full Version : Other side of the Dez Bryant interview/question comes out

Coach Sal
04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I've personally maintained that Jeff Ireland was not out of line when he asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute. Any logical person wouldn't believe the question just popped up between "what is your favorite color?" and "Did you like the movie Avatar?" There had to be a reason it was asked, and a context it was asked in.

Today, an African American writer, Jim Trotter (and yes, his color is important in this story as it has been implied by many the Bryant question was racial-stereotyping) writes in SI.com that the question was not asked nearly in the same context as had been originally portrayed:

Ireland's logical follow-up question to Bryant not worthy of outrage

Even in the no-holds-barred world of the NFL, where a head coach can get a free pass after using the female pronoun her to describe a male player, Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland took a moon leap out of bounds when he asked Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant during a pre-draft interview if the player's mother used to be a prostitute.

Or did he?

Two sources familiar with the situation contend that Ireland's question was nothing more than the logical follow-up to comments Bryant had made about his family. According to the sources, Ireland began the meeting by asking Bryant, 21, about his upbringing and his relationship with his siblings. Then he asked what Bryant's father did for a living when Bryant was growing up. The following exchange allegedly ensued:

"My dad was a pimp."

"What did your mom do [for a living]?"

"She worked for my dad."

"Your mom was a prostitute?"

"No, she wasn't a prostitute."

Ireland apologized Tuesday for asking what has been described as a classless, offensive and potentially illegal question. But if the incident went down as described by two members of the Dolphins organization, Bryant should be the next to repent because there was no need for this story to go from a controlled burn to a raging wildfire.

more...........

full article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_trotter/04/30/dez.bryant.jeff.ireland/index.html?eref=sihp

DraftBoy
04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
The question itself is not the issue, no moral or ethical boundary was crossed. The intent was not to determine if his mother was a prostitute or not but rather illicit a reaction.

Its a psychological question used to determine somebody's maturity and mental stability. Ireland could of, and in my opinion should have, worded it much better. He should of known as soon as he said the question that if it leaked it would be a **** storm and it has been.

That being said the question is not off limits, its just a poor question. The better question to ask is; "If your child was kidnapped and you knew who did it and could get to them, would you call the police or take matters into your own hands?"

These questions really need to be asked by somebody with some psychology training, as the response in terms of word usually means very little compared to the body language, time it takes for a response to generate and other such unnoticed tendencies people have.

These questions have no right or wrong answers, because the question asker doesnt care about your answer.

Mudflap1
04-30-2010, 12:06 PM
This should be such a non-story. Bryant has baggage, and teams are vetting whether they should pay him $20+ million guaranteed. Repeat, $20+ million, not $20,000 or $200,000. That's a lot of risk for a business to take. They should be allowed to do as much of a background search as they need to. That said, it looks like Bryant walked into the question anyway, which means he is a drama queen/diva for blowing this story way out of proportion. If the shoe fits, wear it.

wmoz11
04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
So two sources from the Dolphins told Trotter this? It may be true, but the Dolphins have a lot to gain by this less-malicious line of questioning coming out.

Nighthawk
04-30-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm in HR and trust me, it is NEVER appropriate to ask that question...NEVER! If it gets to a point where that needs clarification, then you ask him to clarify...not assume she's a prostitute! Anybody who thinks it was alright, obviously does not understand the HR/Legal side of asking such a question.

DraftBoy
04-30-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm in HR and trust me, it is NEVER appropriate to ask that question...NEVER! If it gets to a point where that needs clarification, then you ask him to clarify...not assume she's a prostitute! Anybody who thinks it was alright, obviously does not understand the HR/Legal side of asking such a question.

But are you looking at it from a tangible job question? Because that's not why he asked this question. It has nothing to do with his answer, its a more indepth and complex personality test question, similar to asking somebody "If you could be a peice of furniture, what would it be?"

Pinkerton Security
04-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I did wonder how the hell this would ever come up in a conversation like this, and there had to be a reasonable explanation. It was obviously a bit out of line, but is not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

wmoz11
04-30-2010, 12:36 PM
"That's bull**** (http://twitter.com/RealMikeSilver/status/13139103555)," the source told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. "It didn't go down like [the Dolphins are implying it did]. There's nothing to say. If a guy calls and apologizes, what else is there to add on? Enough said. [The apology] confirmed [Bryant's version]. The apology was accepted, and now it's time to move on."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/30/source-close-to-bryant-says-dolphins-leak-is-*********/

And here's Bryant's camp (with nothing to gain, mind you) denying that this is how it went down. Just as I suspected...the Dolphins leaked the (false) info to Trotter to save face.

Bill Cody
04-30-2010, 12:36 PM

I'm sure you're right but I'm struggling to come up with a logical answer to what the mother could have done as an employee of a pimp other than be a hooker. Bookkeeper?

If you're about to hand a 22 year old kid a check for 10m and he says his dad was a pimp and his mom worked for him, you don't want to get to the bottom of that? It sounds whacked. And I'd have jumped to that conclusion myself to be honest.

Ron Burgundy
04-30-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm sure you're right but I'm struggling to come up with a logical answer to what the mother could have done as an employee of a pimp other than be a hooker. Bookkeeper?

Maid, homemaker, cook, dishwasher, car washer, landscaper, tax consultant, personal assistant, toenail cleaner, walking coat rack...who gives a ****?

He knew what he was asking and why. And he ****ed up.

If you're about to hand a 22 year old kid a check for 10m and he says his dad was a pimp and his mom worked for him, you don't want to get to the bottom of that? It sounds whacked. And I'd have jumped to that conclusion myself to be honest.

Well, that's why you'd be apologizing in the press the next day...or looking for a new job.

Mr. Miyagi
04-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Its a psychological question used to determine somebody's maturity and mental stability. Ireland could of, and in my opinion should have, worded it much better. He should of known as soon as he said the question that if it leaked it would be a **** storm and it has been.

should have

Coach Sal
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/30/source-close-to-bryant-says-dolphins-leak-is-*********/

And here's Bryant's camp (with nothing to gain, mind you) denying that this is how it went down. Just as I suspected...the Dolphins leaked the (false) info to Trotter to save face.

So we should automatically assume the Bryant side is telling it exactly right? Gimme a break.

The reason Ireland apologized was probably because the PC police were all over it the minute it came out somewhere. That's not uncommon.

wmoz11
04-30-2010, 12:57 PM
So we should automatically assume the Bryant side is telling it exactly right? Gimme a break.

The reason Ireland apologized was probably because the PC police were all over it the minute it came out somewhere. That's not uncommon.

Yes. They have nothing to gain, as they showed in the rest of the quote stating that it's basically a dead issue in their eyes.

The Dolphins look horrible in this mess so their "transcript" of the events is much less credible.

Coach Sal
04-30-2010, 01:05 PM

Is it ok for a prospective employer to ask me if I do drugs?

To ask me if I have any family members in jail?

To ask me how my parents' divorce effected me growing up?

What does the HR handbook say is ok for someone to ask and not to ask when they are deciding to pay me millions and millions of dollars to represent them and their company for the next 5 years?

To say it's "never appropriate to ask that question" is kind of vague. I'm interested in what areas/questions are appropriate and which ones aren't?

billz83
04-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Bryant should have whipped out a 45 and pistol whipped the **** outta him! They lucky they didnt ask people like me that kinda question..he woulda got his head blown CLEAN OFF..

Billz_fan
04-30-2010, 01:16 PM
He should not have asked if she was a prostitute. Hooker would have acceptable :D

Pinkerton Security
04-30-2010, 01:19 PM
He should not have asked if she was a prostitute. Hooker would have acceptable :D

actually i believe the politically correct term is "Smelly pirate hooker"

madness
04-30-2010, 01:20 PM

What does the HR handbook say is ok for someone to ask and not to ask when they are deciding to pay me millions and millions of dollars to represent them and their company for the next 5 years?

To say it's "never appropriate to ask that question" is kind of vague. I'm interested in what areas/questions are appropriate and which ones aren't?

Stay the **** out of my life!

Oh.... those were meant to be general questions. :ontome:

Coach Sal
04-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Yes. They have nothing to gain, as they showed in the rest of the quote stating that it's basically a dead issue in their eyes.

The Dolphins look horrible in this mess so their "transcript" of the events is much less credible.

Well, I also think it's very possible they say it's a dead issue because they want to end it before they look like fools making it out to be much more than it was.

BUT, I'm not naive enough to think you couldn't be right. You could be and this could very well be the case.

I wish there was some sort of recording available for everyone to see how it actually went down. Otherwise, it's all he said/she said.

wmoz11
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Ed Werder is now reporting that Dez Bryant is denying that he told the Dolphins that his father was a pimp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5151539

Again, more "he said/she said," but interesting nonetheless.

MikeInRoch
04-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Since you bring up "legal", how could that question not be legal?

Akhippo
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM
What is Bryant recount of the transcript? "I was telling him how hard i would work and how i would leave my heart and soul on the field, and he turned and asked if my mom was a ho".

Not likely.

They need this stuff recorded from now on. Everything on the record.

wmoz11
04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
What is Bryant recount of the transcript? "I was telling him how hard i would work and how i would leave my heart and soul on the field, and he turned and asked if my mom was a ho".

Not likely.

They need this stuff recorded from now on. Everything on the record.

Or...

Ireland: "What was your relationship like with your mother?"

Bryant: "She was young when she had me, so she was always doing anything she could to put food on the table for me"

Ireland: "So she was a prostitute?"

Akhippo
04-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Or...

Ireland: "What was your relationship like with your mother?"

Bryant: "She was young when she had me, so she was always doing anything she could to put food on the table for me"

Ireland: "So she was a prostitute?"

Entirely possible. I just tend to think that it wouldnt come entirely out of left field. There was some reasonable lead up.

Who knows though.

wmoz11
04-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Oh, and I'm not trying to come off as some sensitive ***** here. Giving a 22 year old kid millions of dollars definitely should allow for extensive questioning.

I just hate the Dolphins and want them to look ****ty.

Griff
04-30-2010, 02:06 PM
sorry but if your mom works for your dad, who is a pimp, the first question asked is, was she a prostitute, no matter who you're asking. Its basic logic. What are we suppose to assume that she was in marketing?

EricStratton
04-30-2010, 02:08 PM
We know that Dez has never lied before so what he says must be 100% solid.

madness
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
sorry but if your mom works for your dad, who is a pimp, the first question asked is, was she a prostitute, no matter who you're asking. Its basic logic. What are we suppose to assume that she was in marketing?

If you are a Playa In a Management Profession, you obviously have a right to hire an administrative assistant.

Bill Cody
04-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Maid, homemaker, cook, dishwasher, car washer, landscaper, tax consultant, personal assistant, toenail cleaner, walking coat rack...who gives a ****?

He knew what he was asking and why. And he ****ed up.

Well, that's why you'd be apologizing in the press the next day...or looking for a new job.

I assume he was asking because he wanted to know what kind of support system, if any, this soon to be multi millionaire was going to have. None of the career possibilities you've listed would have jumped to my mind if Bryant had told me his dad was a pimp and his mom worked for his dad. All I'm saying is his question, if indeed the conversation went this way, was very logical.

But I think all these questions were not really necessary, checking family backgrounds can be done in other ways. But to say that a team is not entitled to know the person they are about to invest millions in is ridiculous.

Ron Burgundy
04-30-2010, 03:59 PM
I assume he was asking because he wanted to know what kind of support system, if any, this soon to be multi millionaire was going to have. None of the career possibilities you've listed would have jumped to my mind if Bryant had told me his dad was a pimp and his mom worked for his dad. All I'm saying is his question, if indeed the conversation went this way, was very logical.

An important concept in logic is the idea of heuristics - i.e., shortcuts in thinking. You're using one right now, by jumping to the conclusion that his mother was a prostitute. It's actually something to be avoided in logic, as much as possible. It's impossible to eliminate them all, but the more you can eliminate, the less likely it is that you'll look like a dickhead for asking a numb**** question, like Ireland.

But I think all these questions were not really necessary, checking family backgrounds can be done in other ways. But to say that a team is not entitled to know the person they are about to invest millions in is ridiculous.

I agree, checking family background is necessary. Asking a man if his mother was a whore doesn't even remotely come close to a valid method of a "background check."

I must have missed the post where someone said that a team is not entitled to know about the person they're investing in.

Ron Burgundy
04-30-2010, 04:03 PM

You don't know much about logic. No sweat, that's pretty common, really...most folks don't. IT'S SCIENCE.

Bill Cody
04-30-2010, 04:24 PM
An important concept in logic is the idea of heuristics - i.e., shortcuts in thinking. You're using one right now, by jumping to the conclusion that his mother was a prostitute. It's actually something to be avoided in logic, as much as possible. It's impossible to eliminate them all, but the more you can eliminate, the less likely it is that you'll look like a dickhead for asking a numb**** question, like Ireland.

I agree the question was offensive. Ireland does look bad. I just think it would have been hard not to jump to the conclusion he did, not excusing him asking. I guess it would have been ok to just ask what his mother's duties were working for his father right? Maybe Bryant would have said dishwasher or whatever. Doubt it though.

I agree, checking family background is necessary. Asking a man if his mother was a whore doesn't even remotely come close to a valid method of a "background check."

I must have missed the post where someone said that a team is not entitled to know about the person they're investing in.

We are in agreement. As I said I didn't think the questions were even necessary.

Hamilton Billsfan
04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Ed Werder is now reporting that Dez Bryant is denying that he told the Dolphins that his father was a pimp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5151539

Again, more "he said/she said," but interesting nonetheless.

This story is just getting more disgusting...Dolphins better hope that they have video on the interview because after the apology came out IMHO, this is a clear case of libel and player tampering.

The League should at least investigate and find out if the "Pimp" story was in fact made up by Dolphin officials and if true, Ireland should be banned and the Dolphins fined.

Bill Cody
04-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I would be curious to know if Bryant's dad was a pimp and if his mother was a prostitute, just to know how badly Ireland got this story wrong.

Ron Burgundy
04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
I agree the question was offensive. Ireland does look bad. I just think it would have been hard not to jump to the conclusion he did, not excusing him asking. I guess it would have been ok to just ask what his mother's duties were working for his father right? Maybe Bryant would have said dishwasher or whatever. Doubt it though.

If you must know what a person's mother does for a living, you can ask, I reckon. I kinda doubt Bryant would have said dishwasher too, but I can damn near guarantee you he wouldn't have said, "Mom? Yeah, she's a prostitute."

jamze132
05-01-2010, 05:53 AM
I think Ireland was trying to get a piece of Dez's momma...

j/k

jamze132
05-01-2010, 05:56 AM
"My dad was a pimp."

"What did your mom do [for a living]?"

"She worked for my dad."

"Your mom was a prostitute?"

"No, she wasn't a prostitute."

"Was she bottom *****?"

"She wasn't a prostitute!"

"Yeah... is she still doin' it?"

"Are you gonna draft me or what?"

"Well we got Ricky who is looking to get back into some things, so maybe we got a job for your mom if we take you..."

Ron Burgundy
05-01-2010, 08:21 AM
We know that Dez has never lied before so what he says must be 100% solid.
I hear ya, but the NCAA made an example out of him for that dumb ****, and it wasn't really fair.

The moral of the story: stay the **** away from the college kids, Deion. You're not helping.

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 12:07 PM
But are you looking at it from a tangible job question? Because that's not why he asked this question. It has nothing to do with his answer, its a more indepth and complex personality test question, similar to asking somebody "If you could be a peice of furniture, what would it be?"

You can't ask it...period...it's not an appropriate question to ask...no matter the spin put on it.

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Since you bring up "legal", how could that question not be legal?

There are certain questions that are appropriate to ask and those that are not can bring lawsuits. It has nothing to do with his job...thus it is not a question that should be asked. I know that there are a lot of questions that the NFL asks that they shouldn't and I'm sure one day a pissed off athlete will do something in his legal rights to get back at them. It's just a matter of time. Most don't because they get to play football for millions of dollars, so they don't rock the boat, but we all know that somebody will someday.

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 12:12 PM

- No
- No
- No

All are not questions that can be asked.

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
You can't ask it...period...it's not an appropriate question to ask...no matter the spin put on it.

You can ask anything you want. Nobody is asking if it was an appropriate question or not. Everybody knows it wasn't appropriate, but that's not what everybody cares about.

Was it off limits, and if you think so, then why was it off limits? What is the intent was different, does that make it any different?

Its akin to a crime being committed. A man murdered another man, ok he is guilty of murder, but he did it because the other man touched his daughter, does that make it different? For many people it does, in this situation its even more cloudy. Intent is everything, the literal question and answer don't matter one bit.

I think that because there is no law that prohibits the asking of this question, if the intent was to see the reaction, then I have less of an issue with it, then if it was just to find out the answer. Mainly because the answer itself tells you nothing.

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 12:18 PM
You can ask anything you want. Nobody is asking if it was an appropriate question or not. Everybody knows it wasn't appropriate, but that's not what everybody cares about.

Was it off limits, and if you think so, then why was it off limits? What is the intent was different, does that make it any different?

Its akin to a crime being committed. A man murdered another man, ok he is guilty of murder, but he did it because the other man touched his daughter, does that make it different? For many people it does, in this situation its even more cloudy. Intent is everything, the literal question and answer don't matter one bit.

I think that because there is no law that prohibits the asking of this question, if the intent was to see the reaction, then I have less of an issue with it, then if it was just to find out the answer. Mainly because the answer itself tells you nothing.

I mentioned earlier...if this is not a question that pertains to the job, then the employer (Dolphins) could be in the wrong and have a lawsuit brought against them for discrimination. Dez could say that he was denied employment because of his family upbringing and not necessarily because he was not qualified for the position (WR in the NFL). Now, we all know that the NFL does things differently, but I believe that will eventually change and there will be policy changes with regards to this incident.

LtFinFan66
05-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I've personally maintained that Jeff Ireland was not out of line when he asked Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute. Any logical person wouldn't believe the question just popped up between "what is your favorite color?" and "Did you like the movie Avatar?" There had to be a reason it was asked, and a context it was asked in.

Today, an African American writer, Jim Trotter (and yes, his color is important in this story as it has been implied by many the Bryant question was racial-stereotyping) writes in SI.com that the question was not asked nearly in the same context as had been originally portrayed:

full article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_trotter/04/30/dez.bryant.jeff.ireland/index.html?eref=sihpthank you

LtFinFan66
05-03-2010, 01:09 PM
This story is just getting more disgusting...Dolphins better hope that they have video on the interview because after the apology came out IMHO, this is a clear case of libel and player tampering.

The League should at least investigate and find out if the "Pimp" story was in fact made up by Dolphin officials and if true, Ireland should be banned and the Dolphins fined.Player tampering:rofl:

LtFinFan66
05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
- No
- No
- No

All are not questions that can be asked.not true at all. I was asked the drug question for my current job and of course most jobs do drug tests as well

Cntrygal
05-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I was asked about drugs too and had to get tested before employment started.

Coach Sal
05-03-2010, 01:59 PM
- No
- No
- No

All are not questions that can be asked.

Cannot be asked under the law, or just in Nighthawk's HR morality handbook?

Coach Sal
05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I mentioned earlier...if this is not a question that pertains to the job, then the employer (Dolphins) could be in the wrong and have a lawsuit brought against them for discrimination. Dez could say that he was denied employment because of his family upbringing and not necessarily because he was not qualified for the position (WR in the NFL). Now, we all know that the NFL does things differently, but I believe that will eventually change and there will be policy changes with regards to this incident.

Then Matt Stafford needs to sue the 49ers:

The 49ers are officially off the Matt Stafford bandwagon after Stafford refused to discuss his parents' divorce in a session with a psychologist hired by the team to evaluate possible draft picks. Never mind that this has jack diddly poo nothing to do with football or Stafford's ability to throw a deep out. Singletary's having none of a prospect's selfishness with his worst memories, and don't forget it.

"If you're going to look at drafting a guy in the first round, and you're going to pay him millions of dollars, and asking him about a divorce about his parents, if that's going to be an issue, uhhh, then you know what, maybe he doesn't belong here."

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/22494/mike_singletary_will_not_draft_a_qb_who_has_daddy_issues,_eliminates_mark_sanchez

and Marcellus Wiley needs to sue Bill Parcells and the Cowboys:

“I’ve been in that same position and that same seat as a Dez Bryant,” Wiley told ESPN Radio during a Thursday morning appearance. “I can go back to when I was signed as a free agent by the Dallas Cowboys in 2004. Walking into Bill Parcells’ office — this is my, quote unquote, recruiting trip of sorts — I’ve been in the league, this is my seventh or eighth year, Bill Parcells, back turned to me, writing on the chalkboard, doesn’t even turn around to, say, ‘Hello’ or ‘Nice to meet you, Marcellus Wiley,’ just echoes, ‘Do you do drugs?’”

Wiley, who grew up in Compton, Calif., but played his football at Columbia University in the Ivy League, was understandably taken aback. But the fact he wound up signing with the Cowboys should tell you something about the thickness of his skin and maybe even about the jabbing nature of the Parcells Way.

video: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5146868

Ron Burgundy
05-03-2010, 02:24 PM

How did your mother being a whore affect your work?

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 02:33 PM
How did your mother being a whore affect your work?
It does if he can't control his emotions about it. Let's take Dez Bryant for example. If it's known that Dez Bryant loses control when somebody calls his Mom a ho and gets off his game to the point that he is either ineffective or taking a stupid penalty then that effects his job performance. It speaks to his maturity level and mental stability. Can he keep opposing players out of his head, can he deal with getting **** talked to him. Those are things you want to know as as NFL GM and Coach.

EricStratton
05-03-2010, 02:43 PM
From what I've heard his Mom was planning on living with him in whatever city he ended up in, not moving to the same city but actually living in his house/apartment.

In that case her past drug history and possible former profession may matter to his performance on the field both mentally and if she get's into the wrong stuff in terms of being on the field at all.

Ron Burgundy
05-03-2010, 02:47 PM
It does if he can't control his emotions about it. Let's take Dez Bryant for example. If it's known that Dez Bryant loses control when somebody calls his Mom a ho and gets off his game to the point that he is either ineffective or taking a stupid penalty then that effects his job performance. It speaks to his maturity level and mental stability. Can he keep opposing players out of his head, can he deal with getting **** talked to him. Those are things you want to know as as NFL GM and Coach.

Oh, you're talking about **** on the field. And here I thought it was just an old dude jamming his foot in his mouth.

Ireland probably saw that, too. I mean, Bryant's opponents sure seemed to bug him in college, didn't they? I remember all those games where he didn't play well...I mean, physically he was good to go, but you could just tell his head wasn't right. Only one way to be sure! ASK HIM ABOUT THAT SLUTTY MOTHER OF HIS.

And save it...I already know how your mother being a whore affected your work. I can see it all over your grammar.

trapezeus
05-03-2010, 02:48 PM

This is my outrage to the whole topic. They aren't even suppose to ask you if you are married or what you make on job interviews. I don't know if the NFL has a different set of rules, but that is way out of line for most corporate america jobs.

I have no idea if the NFL has an exemption or something, but it sounds wrong, even if you put it into context. Even if its suppose to be a mental exercise to see how one reacts underpressure, there are 1000's of other ways to do it.

Ron Burgundy
05-03-2010, 02:52 PM
This is my outrage to the whole topic. They aren't even suppose to ask you if you are married or what you make on job interviews. I don't know if the NFL has a different set of rules, but that is way out of line for most corporate america jobs.

I have no idea if the NFL has an exemption or something, but it sounds wrong, even if you put it into context. Even if its suppose to be a mental exercise to see how one reacts underpressure, there are 1000's of other ways to do it.

I like your response! Unfortunately, I have to ask: how did you get to be so level-headed, what with your mother being a whore and all?

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh, you're talking about **** on the field. And here I thought it was just an old dude jamming his foot in his mouth.

Ireland probably saw that, too. I mean, Bryant's opponents sure seemed to bug him in college, didn't they? I remember all those games where he didn't play well...I mean, physically he was good to go, but you could just tell his head wasn't right. Only one way to be sure! ASK HIM ABOUT THAT SLUTTY MOTHER OF HIS.

And save it...I already know how your mother being a whore affected your work. I can see it all over your grammar.

Ignoring the larger picture to make a finite point that's not even relevant. Well done, but you aren't that gullible my friend.

Ron Burgundy
05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Ignoring the larger picture to make a finite point that's not even relevant. Well done, but you aren't that gullible my friend.

I honestly don't know what that means.

Larger picture? There's no large picture here. It was some ****tard in Miami asking a stupid question that he apologized for.

Night Train
05-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I did wonder how the hell this would ever come up in a conversation like this, and there had to be a reasonable explanation. It was obviously a bit out of line, but is not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

I realize many here look for reasons to crap on the Dolphins but this explains what really happened.

Ireland responded the same way I would have.

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I honestly don't know what that means.

Larger picture? There's no large picture here. It was some ****tard in Miami asking a stupid question that he apologized for.

Yes there is, you know as well as I do the question is not the point here. The question is stupid and meaningless, about as meaningless as the ****tard who asked the question and the team he puppet GM's for.

The larger picture is the intent, its always been about intent, and it will always be about intent.

MikeInRoch
05-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Does it matter that this is not really a "job interview"? This isn't about "who should I hire", it's about "who should I draft". There is a slight difference.

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Does it matter that this is not really a "job interview"? This isn't about "who should I hire", it's about "who should I draft". There is a slight difference.

Shouldn't, there is no law that says you can't ask a question like that in a job interview.

Ron Burgundy
05-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes there is, you know as well as I do the question is not the point here. The question is stupid and meaningless, about as meaningless as the ****tard who asked the question and the team he puppet GM's for.

The larger picture is the intent, its always been about intent, and it will always be about intent.

I haven't heard one iota of fuss about intent. Everybody's *****ing about the actual question, because it was a really stupid thing to ask.

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I haven't heard one iota of fuss about intent. Everybody's *****ing about the actual question, because it was a really stupid thing to ask.

When I care about what other people fuss about...shoot me.

My outlook on people, is similar to when learning how to drive. Everyone else is an idiot until proven otherwise. Why should I care about what other people think this is about?

The question has ZERO bearing on what this is actually all about.

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
not true at all. I was asked the drug question for my current job and of course most jobs do drug tests as well

You cannot ask that question...yes, drug tests are done all the time and legal. You cannot ask that question in an interview. Sorry if you were...you shouldn't have been.

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 05:46 PM
You cannot ask that question...yes, drug tests are done all the time and legal. You cannot ask that question in an interview. Sorry if you were...you shouldn't have been.

Tell the government that because Ive taken three job interviews and each time hooked up to a lie detector test and asked point blank. "Have you ever taken an illegal drug?"

Maybe its a no-no in the corporate world but in the public sector its certainly fair game.

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 05:46 PM
I was asked about drugs too and had to get tested before employment started.

Testing is OK and the passing of the drug test is a very common requirement. You should not have been asked if you do drugs...

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 05:47 PM

I also said that the NFL works differently...obviously, selectively reading on many people's part on here.

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Tell the government that because Ive taken three job interviews and each time hooked up to a lie detector test and asked point blank. "Have you ever taken an illegal drug?"

Maybe its a no-no in the corporate world but in the public sector its certainly fair game.

Were you interviewing for a govt. job that required a Clearance?

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 05:51 PM

As I mentioned in a prior post...I agree. However, I think this will change the way these players are interviewed in the future.

Ron Burgundy
05-03-2010, 05:51 PM
When I care about what other people fuss about...shoot me.

My outlook on people, is similar to when learning how to drive. Everyone else is an idiot until proven otherwise. Why should I care about what other people think this is about?

The question has ZERO bearing on what this is actually all about.

But that's just boring. Who cares what Ireland thinks?

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Were you interviewing for a govt. job that required a Clearance?

Yes to a govt job.

No to needed clearance.

And once in a private sector job that worked under government contracts but did not require clearance.

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
But that's just boring. Who cares what Ireland thinks?

Well of course it is, that's the idea!

I agree if this was just about Ireland but as Coach Sal has pointed out this is far more widespread.

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Yes to a govt job.

No to needed clearance.

And once in a private sector job that worked under government contracts but did not require clearance.

Government positions are an entirely different animal...I can believe you were asked that. However, why the hell were you given a lie detector test if you weren't getting a clearance?

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Government positions are an entirely different animal...I can believe you were asked that. However, why the hell were you given a lie detector test if you weren't getting a clearance?

Because that's pretty standard for a government job. Even if you don't have clearance, you have access to sensitive information or ways to get to sensitive information.

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Because that's pretty standard for a government job. Even if you don't have clearance, you have access to sensitive information or ways to get to sensitive information.

I would not say it's common because in order to get to the sensitive information, you would need a clearance.

Tatonka
05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I ****ed Dez Bryant's mom.. and left a 20 on the nightstand.. so i can confirm.. she is a prostitute.

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I would not say it's common because in order to get to the sensitive information, you would need a clearance.

I have to disagree with you. Its easier than you would think/like. Im not talking about nuclear codes obviously but some sensitive information is obtainable without clearance simply by working there.

We are digressing though.

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 06:02 PM
I ****ed Dez Bryant's mom.. and left a 20 on the nightstand.. so i can confirm.. she is a prostitute.

Was the 20 the tip or the base rate?

Tatonka
05-03-2010, 06:03 PM
both.

DraftBoy
05-03-2010, 06:04 PM
both.

Boring...if you had tipped bigger we would of known you got into some really good stuff.

Nighthawk
05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
I have to disagree with you. Its easier than you would think/like. Im not talking about nuclear codes obviously but some sensitive information is obtainable without clearance simply by working there.

We are digressing though.

I agree...this is way off topic.

Tatonka
05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
she was lucky she got that much.. have you seen her? i was the hottest dude she has ever banged.. im sure of it.

Coach Sal
05-03-2010, 06:40 PM
I also said that the NFL works differently...obviously, selectively reading on many people's part on here.

Not selective reading at all. You came into this thread telling everyone that you worked in HR and therefore know how it works. But, so far, every time you've been questioned on certain aspects of the subject, you can't seem to give a direct answer. I've never worked in HR and won't pretend to know, so I'm asking you for clarifications, and have yet to get them. If you don't know, that's fine. But please say so instead of continuing to be vague and not answer what you claimed to know when this started.

That being said, I have yet to see anyone, anywhere, show or tell me how, with proof, that this question was ILLEGAL, as you point out that it "could be."

Anybody who thinks it was alright, obviously does not understand the HR/Legal side of asking such a question.....

....There are certain questions that are appropriate to ask and those that are not can bring lawsuits

Is it? Or is it not? and if it "can bring a lawsuit," what grounds can he sue on/law was broken? If you can tell me the answer to these, I'll gladly thank you and change my opinion of what happened here.

But all you keep doing is throwing out disclaimers about how it could be in some cases, but isn't in others, and depending on this or that situation and who needs what kind of clearance or whatever.

Until I see some sort of proof that there is something illegal about what Ireland asked, nothing else matters here. Period.

Because no one is arguing that it was a great question. It is not illegal to be "inappropriate" in the US. And if someone's going to give someone else millions of dollars for many years to represent their company, then I find it hard to fault them for asking some tough, "inappropriate" questions.

Mike13
05-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I just hate the Dolphins and want them to look ****ty.

So if this was Nix who asked the question you'd be in hiding.

jamze132
05-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Well his mom turned out to be a crackwhore anyways according to ESPN this morning.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5159981

Lufkin, Texas, police records acquired by ESPN on Monday show that she also was arrested in April 2009 after she was caught selling crack cocaine to police informants. In August, she was found guilty of two felony counts for possession of a controlled substance and the manufacture and delivery of a controlled substance, and she was sentenced to 10 years' probation.

DraftBoy
05-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Well his mom turned out to be a crackwhore anyways according to ESPN this morning.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5159981

Lufkin, Texas, police records acquired by ESPN on Monday show that she also was arrested in April 2009 after she was caught selling crack cocaine to police informants. In August, she was found guilty of two felony counts for possession of a controlled substance and the manufacture and delivery of a controlled substance, and she was sentenced to 10 years' probation.

Yea she has been arrested multiple times on drug charges I believe. Not 100% sure about that though.

FinFaninBuffalo
05-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Perhaps logic is the wrong term to use here. How about common sense? If not a logical question, it surely is a common sense question based on what a pimp does:

A pimp is an agent for prostitutes who lives off their earnings.

Surely the most common "employee" of a pimp is a prostitute.

This is a non-issue. Bryant should have addressed the Dolphins and Ireland directly regarding the question. Clearly he was motivated by some reason to go public. Now he wants to put it behind him. He looks like an idiot.

justasportsfan
05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
If you tell someone your dad is a pimp and that your mom worked for him, I can understand why someone would ask you if your mom is a pimp.

It's no different from when you tell someone that you are a finfan and then that person asks you "are you gay?"

What's up FFIB?

FinFaninBuffalo
05-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Testing is OK and the passing of the drug test is a very common requirement. You should not have been asked if you do drugs...

Seems like a stupid distinction that only a lawyer could come up with.... What's the point of the drug test?.... to see if you take drugs....

Stewie
05-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Never herad of anyone having to go through a polygraph for a government job

FinFaninBuffalo
05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
If you tell someone your dad is a pimp and that your mom worked for him, I can understand why someone would ask you if your mom is a pimp.

It's no different from when you tell someone that you are a finfan and then that person asks you "are you gay?"

What's up FFIB?

Hey justa. Now I just need nyjunc to yank my chain too.....

How are you liking the Bills off season? I'm not so sure I agree with their drafting of Spiller but we shall see.

I'll be happy when Channing Crowder gets run out of Miami by one of the new LBs they brought in.

Take care.

justasportsfan
05-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Hey justa. Now I just need nyjunc to yank my chain too.....

How are you liking the Bills off season? I'm not so sure I agree with their drafting of Spiller but we shall see.

I'll be happy when Channing Crowder gets run out of Miami by one of the new LBs they brought in.

Take care.

I like the Spiller pick.

I hope the fins keep Crowder, he loved to cross dress during holloween. :up:

Say hi to feelthepunani for me. :D