PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Draft Grades-Step back in time

YardRat
05-01-2010, 12:16 AM
From May 1, 2006...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2006-04-30-draft-grades_x.htm

****FOUR STARS**** Poised for marquee billing
Arizona Cardinals
Dennis Green & Co. have done it again. After Matt Leinart fell into the Cardinals' lap, they landed another big body for the O-line (Deuce Lutui) and a couple of prospects who could blossom into huge talents in TE Leonard Pope and DT Gabe Watson.
Denver Broncos
The art of the deal got Mike Shanahan the quarterback he coveted most, Jay Cutler. The Broncos addressed other needs by trading for WR Javon Walker and snagging an H-back type in Tony Scheffler.
Houston Texans
Time will tell if the Texans passed over an NFL version of Michael Jordan in opting for DE Mario Williams rather than Reggie Bush or Vince Young. Will Williams be better compared to Sam Bowie or Bruce Smith? Second-round LB DeMeco Ryan and OTs Charles Spencer and Eric Winston also reflected need picks.
New England Patriots
Laurence Maroney was Bill Belichick's pick as the draft's best running back after Reggie Bush and successor to Corey Dillon. Chad Jackson was thought by many to be the best wide receiver in the draft. More help for Tom Brady.
New Orleans Saints
The Saints got the player rated No. 1 on most teams' draft boards, Reggie Bush, without trading up. Just the shot in the arm needed for a franchise that has dealt with so much adversity.
Philadelphia Eagles
Andy Reid still loves big fellas. First-round DT Brodrick Bunkley has been compared to Warren Sapp. OT Winston Justice and G Max Jean-Gilles, both of whom were projected to go higher, could become building blocks for the O-line of the future.
San Francisco 49ers
Mike Nolan's rebuilding job landed two huge pieces in athletic TE Vernon Davis and DE-LB Manny Lawson. The 49ers made an intriguing second-day pick with ex-QB-turned-WR Michael Robinson.
Tennessee Titans
Norm Chow won't be reunited with Matt Leinart but gets to mold one of the draft's most electric athletes in QB Vince Young. Chow will be reunited with power back LenDale White, who will have much to prove after sliding down the charts.

Whoa...lotsa future HOFers on those lists, aren't there?

clumping platelets
05-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Best second-round pick: Chad Jackson. The Florida wide receiver, clocked at 4.32 in the 40-yard dash, was projected as a mid-first-round pick and the top wideout on many boards. He went to the New England Patriots in the 36th slot

:eek:

Griff
05-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Some potentials, Vince Young has really turned it around, so did Vernon Davis. If Cutler ever grows up he could be good, and Mario Williams is beginning to emerge.

Griff
05-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Buffalo Bills
Did the Bills reach too high for S Donte Whitner? In any event, he fills a need. After bypassing the draft's two top-rated defensive tackles, they moved back into Round 1 to address need with DT John McCargo. Fifth-round DT Kyle Williams was a good value.

this draft really confused me, I knew we needed a S, but I thought we needed a DT more.

jamze132
05-01-2010, 05:19 AM
See why draft grades immediately after the draft suck for the most part?

Billz_fan
05-01-2010, 05:26 AM
omg, by this way of looking at it........Spiller is gonna bust :laughter:

Johnny Bugmenot
05-01-2010, 09:28 AM
See why draft grades immediately after the draft suck for the most part? I'm not so sure about that... especially the first rounders, they seemed almost spot-on to me.