PDA

View Full Version : Stop defending the Spiller pick!!

HHURRICANE
05-02-2010, 08:51 AM
It was a good pick. Taking the best player in this case made total sense. I live in the South and I've had more people come up to me, knowing I'm from Buffalo, saying this was as close to a slam dunk pick as you'll ever get.

This team isn't getting fixed in a year. The o-line will still be terrible but this guy is Thurman Thomas-esque and maybe able to help at least keep the D off balance as not only a running but receiving threat.

I'll give Chan Gailey credit for one thing. He's deliberate and I believe he wants to get his plan in place and see what he has to work with.

The pick was a good one so stop worrying about what the media thinks. They loved the Marv drafts and we see how they turned out.

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2010, 08:54 AM
I really don't care what they say. The media doesn't know crap.

The year Miami went 1-15 was the year all the talking heads thought they were going to the Super Bowl.

mikemac2001
05-02-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm not defending it I love the pick loved it when they called his name

YardRat
05-02-2010, 09:33 AM
We'll see how it turns out. I wasn't 100% thrilled with the pick at the time and am still hesitant to automatically crown CJ a superstar or game-changer at the NFL level, but I've gone back over the first round a hundred times and can't really find anybody that I would have been happier with, especially considering how the rest our draft went.

Davis or Bulaga? No.
Clausen? Hell no.
Williams or Odrick? OK if we traded down, but we didn't and I'm OK with grabbing Spiller and waiting to see if one of these guys was available to trade up for or drop to us in the second. I really like Troup and Carriker, anyway.
Thomas or Bryant? I like Thomas better and wouldn't have minded the pick, but if you're looking to score from anywhere on the field anytime you get the ball he's not the guy.

Hopefully CJ will bring to the table the same production he had in college and we can all praise the FO for what a great pick he was, but if he doesn't I'm sure there are at least a couple of guys that we'll look back at and say 'geez, we should've drafted him instead'. Very much unlike past drafts, though, I can't pinpoint a guy right now and say I wish we would've taken that guy at #9.

FlyingDutchman
05-02-2010, 09:56 AM
some people just havent watched this kid play and dont realize what kind of player we just got. they just think we went with a luxury pick and ignored bigger needs. theyll find out in time why we did what we did

Beebe's Kid
05-02-2010, 10:06 AM
This thread is kind of like when a little kid just keeps talking....saying the same things over and over, or mumbling new stuff, just to hear their own voice.

Goobylal
05-02-2010, 10:18 AM
We'll see how it turns out. I wasn't 100% thrilled with the pick at the time and am still hesitant to automatically crown CJ a superstar or game-changer at the NFL level, but I've gone back over the first round a hundred times and can't really find anybody that I would have been happier with, especially considering how the rest our draft went.

Davis or Bulaga? No.
Clausen? Hell no.
Williams or Odrick? OK if we traded down, but we didn't and I'm OK with grabbing Spiller and waiting to see if one of these guys was available to trade up for or drop to us in the second. I really like Troup and Carriker, anyway.
Thomas or Bryant? I like Thomas better and wouldn't have minded the pick, but if you're looking to score from anywhere on the field anytime you get the ball he's not the guy.

Hopefully CJ will bring to the table the same production he had in college and we can all praise the FO for what a great pick he was, but if he doesn't I'm sure there are at least a couple of guys that we'll look back at and say 'geez, we should've drafted him instead'. Very much unlike past drafts, though, I can't pinpoint a guy right now and say I wish we would've taken that guy at #9.
Exactly the way I felt. Prior to the draft, I didn't like Spiller because I read he scored a 10 on the Wonderlic. I thought "great, another McKelvin," i.e. great athletic ability but a 10 cent head (and I like McKelvin...when he's not fumbling games away like a dummy). But after seeing all the kudos the Bills got for taking him, and then reading that he was on the honor roll in HS and finished college in 3-1/2 years (which still makes me wonder how he scored just a 10 on the Wonderlic), to go along with his great ability, I thought better of the pick.

Buddo
05-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Davis or Bulaga? No.
Clausen? Hell no.

Good post. I can't see anyone else I'd want in a hurry a bit down from the #9 either. With the situation regarding QBs and O-Line, I think they've actually picked a guy for the offense, that is about the only one who can actually make a difference there, and immediately. Thomas, and even Bryant may well be very good receivers, but you have to throw them the football. Another vague possibility would have been Gresham, but the same applies there. I also think in respect of the passing game, Nelson is going to be just as productive as Gresham would be, as he has great catching ability.

Luisito23
05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
If you're in favor of the Spiller pick why would you not defend it?

Cntrygal
05-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm long past being excited about any ROOKIE player... let them prove they can at least make it to pre-season.

New Ro's Greatest
05-02-2010, 01:00 PM
I thought if you like something you defend it? I love this pick! GO BILLS:air:

Buffalogic
05-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Stop defending the (insert any player name here) <insert whatever="" name="" here=""> pick!! Let me cry more waaaaah.

HH now you are just trying to be a know-nothing clown. And it's working.</insert>

Nublar7
05-02-2010, 02:45 PM

The year Miami went 1-15 was the year all the talking heads thought they were going to the Super Bowl.No one said Miami was going to the Super Bowl prior to that season. The buzz that had CNNSI predicting a possible trip to the Super Bowl was post 2005(when they went 9-7) and after the Culpepper trade. 2006(when they went 6-10) was when the "talking heads" predicted Super Bowl.

Buffalogic
05-02-2010, 03:10 PM
No one said Miami was going to the Super Bowl prior to that season. The buzz that had CNNSI predicting a possible trip to the Super Bowl was post 2005(when they went 9-7) and after the Culpepper trade. 2006(when they went 6-10) was when the "talking heads" predicted Super Bowl.Please Nublar, you're the guy that said the Fins were in the running to win the division lol. And that was like 12 games into the season. Instead, they finished under .500. Not very close were ya? But now you're a hindsight allstar! You didn't predict anything like that no, no, it was all the' talking heads'! Yeah, right!

Now that I've got your attention answer me this. Why has FH turned into such a pile of ****? Maybe you can answer that question here because now you can't ban me for disagreeing with you...

Nublar7
05-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Please Nublar, you're the guy that said the Fins were in the running to win the division lol. And that was like 12 games into the season. Instead, they finished under .500. Not very close were ya? But now you're a hindsight allstar! You didn't predict anything like that no, no, it was all the' talking heads'! Yeah, right!

Now that I've got your attention answer me this. Why has FH turned into such a pile of ****? Maybe you can answer that question here because now you can't ban me for disagreeing with you...Hey champ, re-read what was being talked about. He was talking about the 2007 season, and I was pointing out the media Super Bowl predictions were the year before. I am not talking about last season or even the year before.

BertSquirtgum
05-02-2010, 03:54 PM
i came in here expecting something negative. glad it wasn't, i like it.

BillsWin
05-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Spiller is going to be REALLY good...

I hope we get him a QB and o-line next year!

Billz_fan
05-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't mind the pick anymore. I wasn't thrilled but hey. It's who we got.

These are my only concerns. Lets say Spiller turns out to be great and by great I mean elite back status (good thing) What Im worried about is how fast they can bring the rest of the team up to par talent wise and actually win some post season games or at least participate in end of year meaningful games. I worry about this because as I've said before if you look up the average career of all NFL RB's it's less than 3 years 2.6 is the actual number. Take out some highs and lows in there and you probably got 5 years of top level production. More if he is a Hall of Fame calibur or similar or escapes knee injurys during his career.

How much time does it take to get the rest of the team to that level ? They have got to get it done in the shortest time frame or this kids best years are spent on a losing team. The year OJ gained 2k yards the Bills were 9-5 and missed the playoffs. I think that was arguably a better team than we have now at least on the OL. In the whole time OJ was here the Bills made the playoffs 1 time (1974) and lost in the first round. Even Barry Sanders could not carry his team to the title despite playoff appearances and retired early sick of losing (my opinion).

My only point here is that it is imperitive to get this teams talent level raised in the shortest time possible to take full advantage of CJ Spillers presence and abilitys or we will end up having a great runner who wants to leave to get away from losing in a few years when his first contract expires. If the Bills can accomplish this feat we will all hail the greatness of the new regime. If not.......then we stay on the same boat we been sailing for 10 years.

Night Train
05-02-2010, 05:01 PM

HHuricane is in the media ? Now it's all coming together.

Buffalogic
05-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Hey champ, re-read what was being talked about. He was talking about the 2007 season, and I was pointing out the media Super Bowl predictions were the year before. I am not talking about last season or even the year before.Ya and 2007 and 2009 were similar. You mainly, but some others too, thought Miami would do better than they did. Right when the pressure of expectation gets to Miami they pull a no show.

I'd be banned by now for badmouthing the dolphins if this was Finheaven. I already am thanks to you Nublar!! Because not only are you a homer, but you're also an abusive crybaby mod. Grats!

NOT THE DUDE...
05-02-2010, 05:14 PM
nublar is mad because he wanted spiller ....lol

Buffalogic
05-02-2010, 05:16 PM
There was only one move to make at 9 if you're the bills and that's taking Spiller. Anything else is wrong. They finally got a first round pick right and whiners still complain. Let me hear you whine when he's dominating games for us.

BertSquirtgum
05-02-2010, 06:24 PM
the tuna stinks

SABURZFAN
05-03-2010, 01:00 AM
I'd be banned by now for badmouthing the dolphins if this was Finheaven. I already am thanks to you Nublar!! Because not only are you a homer, but you're also an abusive crybaby mod. Grats!

:bf1:

let me take this moment to give major props to Wagon Circler for not being afraid to speak the truth. talk about hitting the nail on the head. it's a wonder that place hasn't "bellied up" because not only do they mistreat other team fans, they mistreat their own fans as well.

Buffalogic
05-03-2010, 01:33 AM
:bf1:

let me take this moment to give major props to Wagon Circler for not being afraid to speak the truth. talk about hitting the nail on the head. it's a wonder that place hasn't "bellied up" because not only do they mistreat other team fans, they mistreat their own fans as well.Lol yeah it's easy to see why all the good poster went to thephins website. FH has been on a steady downward progression and they made sure that continued by appointing Nublar mod. If you don't add to the homer back-pat festival, you're probably going to get banned. Glad BZ isn't like that!!