• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Brodeur was robbed.

Brodeur had 7 shutouts during the playoffs, including one in Game 7 of the Finals and didn't win the Conn Smythe trophy???

This is absurd.
  • Ð
    1-800-SAD-GOAT
    • Jul 2002

I agree. "Maxi-pad" Giguiere was good, but not Brodeur good.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

amen

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Rude American
        EE is my American Idol
        • Jul 2002

obviously they went on his credentuials from the first 3 series, which was the wrong thing to do. He mave have cost his team the cup last night with that third goal. It was awful. Who knows what might have happened if he stopped that. Pull him with 1:45 to go, get lucky.... get luck one more time in the dying seconds.... not probable, but possible.

Brodeur was robbed for sure.
        You want that hamburger on bun?

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

what I don't understand is how you can use the last three series...let's say for example that a player plays 15 games in the first 3 rounds and is Gretzky-like...scores 45 points but he is all his team has and they lose. Does he get consideration?? What if the Ducks had not made the finals but lost all their games 1-0 or 2-1 and given up 50 shots a game. Does JSG get consideration?? If not, then is it fair to use what happens in the first 3 series when considering the winner...and if you do not does that mean the Conn Smythe should have gone to Jeff Friesen??

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

I believe the trophy is awarded to the most valuable player in the playoffs. So how can you assert the most valuable player in one series, albeit the cup finals, should get the trophy? The award is not premised as "most valueable player in the Stanley Cup finals".

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

then somebody who does not reach the final should be eligible...no?

Comment

• Rude American
                EE is my American Idol
                • Jul 2002

all sports should just make the ruile that the trophy must go to a guy on the winning team. As unfair as that may seem at times it would end all the debate.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

3 Shutouts in the finals alone. It is a travesty that Brodeur didn't win it for that alone.

Comment

• northernbillfan
                    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

217 minutes of straight shut out hockey, a sweep of the Detroit Red Wings, taking out the number one and two teams of the conference, a pre Stanley Cup final GAA of 1.25, or there abouts, and was sitting at 1.56 going into last nights game.

The number eight team getting to the finals vs the number two team.

Marty's seven shut outs were all well and good, but that is no major feat when you're the goalie on a trapping team. (I know I'll get crap for that line) *nbf dodges the missiles*

If you ask me, he DID deserve the Conn Smythe, just like Hextall did in 87, or 88.
                    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Rude American
                      EE is my American Idol
                      • Jul 2002

He was only average in the final series. Brodeur was better when it was on the line.

Comment

• EricStratton
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by northernbillfan
                        217 minutes of straight shut out hockey, a sweep of the Detroit Red Wings, taking out the number one and two teams of the conference, a pre Stanley Cup final GAA of 1.25, or there abouts, and was sitting at 1.56 going into last nights game.

The number eight team getting to the finals vs the number two team.

Marty's seven shut outs were all well and good, but that is no major feat when you're the goalie on a trapping team. (I know I'll get crap for that line) *nbf dodges the missiles*

If you ask me, he DID deserve the Conn Smythe, just like Hextall did in 87, or 88.

The Ducks were the 7, not the 8. Ottawa was the best team in the NHL and Marty beat them, the GAA for Giggy was 1.62, Marty was 1.65. The save % was 93 vs. 94 and Marty had 7 shutouts (an NHL playoff record) and 16 wins.

Looks like the wrong goalie won the trophy.
                        Oh yeah, the trap was 1996, it's 2003 now. The Devils attack better than any team in the game. (They were #2 in SOG in the NHL)
                        Attached Files

Comment

• EricStratton
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Rude American
                          He was only average in the final series. Brodeur was better when it was on the line.

It sure looks like the writers voted after game 6.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

I agree with Rude.

Like it's Brodeur's fault he has to play against the 7th seed in the finals.

Comment

• northernbillfan
                              Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EricStratton
                              The Ducks were the 7, not the 8.
                              I knew that, as I was typing my reply, I had that written down, because the Oilers were #8,but then I was also reading an article about the p/offs, and it said..."Giguere was pretty amazing himself this spring as he and the Mighty Ducks went from the eighth seed in the Western Conference to the Finals as giant killers.

Stupid American Sports Writers

And yes NJ does play the trap,
                              When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X