PDA

View Full Version : Brodeur was robbed.

Earthquake Enyart
06-10-2003, 06:35 AM
Brodeur had 7 shutouts during the playoffs, including one in Game 7 of the Finals and didn't win the Conn Smythe trophy??? :eek:

This is absurd.

Ð
06-10-2003, 06:46 AM
I agree. "Maxi-pad" Giguiere was good, but not Brodeur good.

Ebenezer
06-10-2003, 07:23 AM
amen

Rude American
06-10-2003, 08:44 AM
obviously they went on his credentuials from the first 3 series, which was the wrong thing to do. He mave have cost his team the cup last night with that third goal. It was awful. Who knows what might have happened if he stopped that. Pull him with 1:45 to go, get lucky.... get luck one more time in the dying seconds.... not probable, but possible.

Brodeur was robbed for sure.

Ebenezer
06-10-2003, 08:50 AM
what I don't understand is how you can use the last three series...let's say for example that a player plays 15 games in the first 3 rounds and is Gretzky-like...scores 45 points but he is all his team has and they lose. Does he get consideration?? What if the Ducks had not made the finals but lost all their games 1-0 or 2-1 and given up 50 shots a game. Does JSG get consideration?? If not, then is it fair to use what happens in the first 3 series when considering the winner...and if you do not does that mean the Conn Smythe should have gone to Jeff Friesen??

Typ0
06-10-2003, 09:03 AM
I believe the trophy is awarded to the most valuable player in the playoffs. So how can you assert the most valuable player in one series, albeit the cup finals, should get the trophy? The award is not premised as "most valueable player in the Stanley Cup finals".

Ebenezer
06-10-2003, 09:04 AM
then somebody who does not reach the final should be eligible...no?

Rude American
06-10-2003, 09:10 AM
all sports should just make the ruile that the trophy must go to a guy on the winning team. As unfair as that may seem at times it would end all the debate.

Earthquake Enyart
06-10-2003, 10:41 AM
3 Shutouts in the finals alone. It is a travesty that Brodeur didn't win it for that alone.

northernbillfan
06-10-2003, 10:52 AM
217 minutes of straight shut out hockey, a sweep of the Detroit Red Wings, taking out the number one and two teams of the conference, a pre Stanley Cup final GAA of 1.25, or there abouts, and was sitting at 1.56 going into last nights game.

The number eight team getting to the finals vs the number two team.

Marty's seven shut outs were all well and good, but that is no major feat when you're the goalie on a trapping team. (I know I'll get crap for that line) *nbf dodges the missiles*

If you ask me, he DID deserve the Conn Smythe, just like Hextall did in 87, or 88.

Rude American
06-10-2003, 10:56 AM
He was only average in the final series. Brodeur was better when it was on the line.

EricStratton
06-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
217 minutes of straight shut out hockey, a sweep of the Detroit Red Wings, taking out the number one and two teams of the conference, a pre Stanley Cup final GAA of 1.25, or there abouts, and was sitting at 1.56 going into last nights game.

The number eight team getting to the finals vs the number two team.

Marty's seven shut outs were all well and good, but that is no major feat when you're the goalie on a trapping team. (I know I'll get crap for that line) *nbf dodges the missiles*

If you ask me, he DID deserve the Conn Smythe, just like Hextall did in 87, or 88.

The Ducks were the 7, not the 8. Ottawa was the best team in the NHL and Marty beat them, the GAA for Giggy was 1.62, Marty was 1.65. The save % was 93 vs. 94 and Marty had 7 shutouts (an NHL playoff record) and 16 wins.

Looks like the wrong goalie won the trophy.
Oh yeah, the trap was 1996, it's 2003 now. The Devils attack better than any team in the game. (They were #2 in SOG in the NHL)

EricStratton
06-10-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Rude American
He was only average in the final series. Brodeur was better when it was on the line.

It sure looks like the writers voted after game 6.

Earthquake Enyart
06-10-2003, 11:02 AM
I agree with Rude. :eek:

Like it's Brodeur's fault he has to play against the 7th seed in the finals. :shakeno:

northernbillfan
06-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by EricStratton
The Ducks were the 7, not the 8.

I knew that, as I was typing my reply, I had that written down, because the Oilers were #8,but then I was also reading an article about the p/offs, and it said..."Giguere was pretty amazing himself this spring as he and the Mighty Ducks went from the eighth seed in the Western Conference to the Finals as giant killers.

Stupid American Sports Writers (http://www.nhl.com/cupcrazy2003/serieso/giguere_connsmythe060903.shtml)

And yes NJ does play the trap,

Rude American
06-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Bring back the old delayed offside rule and the trap hockey would diminish. Is that how diminish is spelled? :D

Plus, it's no woonder hockey isn't popular in the US. ABC cut away from coverage shortly after the game. CBC went on until midnight. I'm sure ABC would have done it differently if it was the superbowl though. That ticks me off. ABC should just broadcast the CBC feed. Problem solved.

BironsGirl43
06-10-2003, 11:54 AM
I couldn't DISAGREE more with you guys...

Giguere was so DESERVING.. moreso than Brodeur who faced few shots a night and played infront of a trapping team.. Schwab could have been in net and they still would have won..

Giguere carried his team and without him they would not have made it as far as they did.. NJ could have because they play a smart team game..

Giguere set the NHL record for Overtime shutout minutes...he went 7-0 in OT...and he went 12-2 through the first 3 rounds...he allowed 1 goal in a series...he single handedly beat the defending champions...he beat the best team in the Western Conference in 6 games...in his rookie playoff season.

Giguere DESERVED it and I am so happy he wasn't screwed over..

EricStratton
06-10-2003, 12:06 PM
I thik you're selling the rest of the Ducks team short BG.

BironsGirl43
06-10-2003, 12:09 PM
No, I don't think so..

They didn't play very well.. especially in the Finals..

I don't think people are giving JS the credit he deserves... I think he did a lot and had he not been at his very best.. the Ducks NEVER stood a chance..

NJ had the easier road to the Finals... excluding Ottawa of course.. Ducks had it tough.. by the time the Finals rolled around.. they ran out of gas

Ð
06-10-2003, 12:15 PM
NJ had the Easiest road to the finals ?
You're telling me that the frickin' Minnesota Wild weren't the biggest pushovers in NHL conference final history ?

Earthquake Enyart
06-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Yeah, that Wild team is an offensive juggernaut.... :rolleyes:

3 shutouts in the Finals. Has that ever been done before?

Brodeur never gets the credit he deserves.

BironsGirl43
06-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Whatever D.. like Boston and Tampa Bay were really tough to beat..

Ducks had to go through Detroit and Dallas.. they knocked off the best teams to advance and were lucky to face a Wild team that after coming back from 2.. 3-1 deficits couldn't play anymore..

Brodeur GETS way too much credit.. I'm beginning to think he's overrated.. he wouldn't look so good if he faced more than 15 shots on goal a night.. or if he didn't play infront of a trapping team..

Rude American
06-10-2003, 12:27 PM
She's hot, therefore she's right. Hell, I'll never argue with her again. Why burn potential roommate bridges? :D

Earthquake Enyart
06-10-2003, 12:36 PM
3 shutouts in the finals and he's overrated? :eek:

Listen to yourself, girl....

BironsGirl43
06-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
3 shutouts in the finals and he's overrated? :eek:

Listen to yourself, girl....

There's more to it then that..

You can't just look at the stats.. you have to watch the games to get a sense of what it was like..

Brodeur also had a shutout in a game 7 vs the Leafs a couple years ago.. sounds impressive huh? well he only faced 6 SHOTS in the entire game!!!

Brodeur allowed 3 more goals than JS and faced 75 fewer shots..

Rude American
06-10-2003, 12:44 PM
like I said, just give it to the guy on the winning team.

BironsGirl43
06-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Conn Smythe is awarded to the best PLAYER.. not the best TEAM..

That's what the Cup is for..

NJ deserved the Cup since they were better than the Ducks

JS deserved the Conn Smythe.. because he was the BEST player in the playoffs this year.

LOL@your comment above.. I just noticed that.. lol..

Ð
06-10-2003, 12:48 PM
It clearly didn't go to the best player this year.

Rude American
06-10-2003, 12:51 PM
but he wasn't the best when the chips were down. That third goal was weak...the killer.

Why do I feel like Rufus from Notting Hill?

"Do you want my phone number?"
"Tempting, but ...no."

:D

BironsGirl43
06-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Debating this is absolutely pointless.. it's all a matter of opinion and it's all subjective..

We'll agree to disagree..

Rude American
06-10-2003, 01:05 PM
I don't agree to that!

Ð
06-10-2003, 01:17 PM
So to sum up,

we disagree on the disagreement ?

Rude American
06-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Dude, I don't even know anymore.

EricStratton
06-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Dude, I don't even know anymore.

I've lost the track of this thread but I do know Marty got hosed last night.

Ð
06-10-2003, 01:29 PM
I think he should get the award just because he was doing his wife's sister.
That's gotta count for something.

SkateZilla
06-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Shots On Goal Dont Mean **** for Attack Stats. Just Means they Can Aim For the Net when Dumping Etc etc.

Offense Goes By Goals Scored./.Time of Possesion in Offensive Zone.

and Yes. thats all New Jersey Is Doing Is the TRap On Defense.

Which if Hew Jersey's Arena Was So Fudged Up and the Ice was Hard Frozon and Not Slurpee Slush (Like AHL NORFOLK's) Then The Ducks Can Do More High Speed Breakouts to get past the trap defense.
granted the Ducks Are a Forechecking Team.. You Cant Forecheck very Well on Slush.

If the Ducks Were More Cautous Defensively the game prolly woulda been 0-0 going into Overtime..

2 Goals Were Lack of rebound Control Due to Screening (Goal 1 Was INterference .. NJ Player Hit hte NUB of Gigueres Stick to Open the 5-Hole) ( Goal 2 Was Lack Of Stick Coverage ) (Goal 3 was Just Because NJ had Momentum Going their Way )

chubluv
06-10-2003, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SkateZilla

Which if Hew Jersey's Arena Was So Fudged Up and the Ice was Hard Frozon and Not Slurpee Slush (Like AHL NORFOLK's) Then The Ducks Can Do More High Speed Breakouts to get past the trap defense.
granted the Ducks Are a Forechecking Team.. You Cant Forecheck very Well on Slush.

I agree,but we must remember the NBA is more important so they couldn't push game 3 back one night so the ice for the Hockey game could have been better.

chubluv
06-10-2003, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SkateZilla

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree,but we must remember the NBA is more important so they couldn't push game 3 back one night so the ice for the Hockey game could have been better.

Ð
06-11-2003, 05:32 AM
LOL, now they're blaming the ice.

Excuses are for losers....The Devils played on the exact same ice.

Earthquake Enyart
06-11-2003, 06:32 AM
So I guess Ken Dryden wasn't any good either, facing his 20 shots per game with the defense he had in front of him..... :eek:

EricStratton
06-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Skate,
You sound like a bitter, bitter man.

Let’s make as many excuses as possible for the Devils winning. It can’t be because they are the best team in hockey and have 3 cups in 9 years.

It can't be the players, the coaching, the system and the best playoff goalie in the NHL.

It must be the ice.

Ð
06-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Brodeur reminds me of Billy Smith.

Ever heard of him ?

Rude American
06-11-2003, 08:15 AM
At first I couldn't uven figure out what Zilla was talking about. Then I went back and read it again.....slowly.... and I must say, that is THE stupidest post I've ever read.

Even still I'm not even sure I understand that post. It can't possibly be intentend to be taken literally, can it? Soft ice? Momentum? Goaltender interference? Huh?

Langenbruner hitting Giguere's shaft had absolutely nothing to do with that goal. NOTHING. Go back and watch the replay.

Ð
06-11-2003, 08:50 AM
The goal went in @ 3 secs after he hit Jiggy's stick
...more than enough time to get it back on the ice & regain his composure.

BironsGirl43
06-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Whatever.. I don't think he was hosed..

I think the trophy went to the *RIGHT* person.. Giguere was the best through 4 rounds..... and that's that..

Nobody was hosed.. the Devils (Brodeur) won the Cup... so who cares!

Oh and the whole sister in law thing.... makes me sick.. I feel most sorry for the kids though.... I hope Melanie milks him for everything he's worth...... mwahaha........... ;)

ticatfan
06-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Come on now,maybe marty's wife is some phyco women,there is always 2 sides to every story.

Ð
06-11-2003, 12:14 PM
I think her sister milked him pretty good for a while

BironsGirl43
06-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ticatfan
Come on now,maybe marty's wife is some phyco women,there is always 2 sides to every story.

I was kidding anyway.. notice the wink.. ;)

But he admitted to cheating and "making a mistake".. she apparently caught them in a hotel in Ottawa....

Can you say...... LOSER!?!

Eww. There's no excuse for that.. he didn't think of his wedding vows or his children.. he thought about himself.. he's a selfish person..

LOL@D

Rude American
06-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Any guy who can pull off the sister switch is ny hero.

Valerie
06-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BironsGirl43 But he admitted to cheating and "making a mistake".. she apparently caught them in a hotel in Ottawa....

Can you say...... LOSER!?!

Eww. There's no excuse for that.. he didn't think of his wedding vows or his children.. he thought about himself.. he's a selfish person..
Jaded:hi5:BironsGirl
I completely agree with you! :) And, I hope his wife does milk him for everything he's worth. And I'm not kidding. And, just putting aside Marty for a minute, WTH kind of a sister is that?!?!?! Close girlfriends know the rule about dating an ex. And her sister decides it's okay to sleep with Marty?!?!?! In a way I think what the sister did is worse than what Marty did.

Rude American
06-11-2003, 01:27 PM
his wife was also unfaithful. Why do women always blame the men? hypocrits.

Earthquake Enyart
06-11-2003, 01:39 PM
None of this has anything to do with the Conn Smythe trophy.

3 shutouts in the finals AND pulled off the sister switch...it soesn't get any better than that (especially if the sister is younger) :snicker:

Ð
06-11-2003, 01:43 PM
Marty's da man!

BironsGirl43
06-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Ð
Marty's da man!

You're right!!

I love Biron!! :)

EE.. I know it has nothing to do with the Smythe.. somebody else brought it up.. I was just commenting

Jaded: Hell yeah :) I totally agree.. people wouldn't feel the same way if it happened to them.. but everyone likes Brodeur so they're all ignoring it.. I agree with you on the sister thing.. what a sorry excuse for a human being... that's pathetic and yes she looks worse.

RA: As far as I know.. his wife didn't do that.. she went out with guys after they were seperated to get back at him.. rightfully so and if she did cheat as well.. she wouldn't be filing divorce and asking for all this money if they are able to prove that she did also..I doubt she did..

And if she did then she's stupid too.. 2 wrongs don't make a right and I wouldn't defend her.... the only hypocrites here are the guys that find adulterous behaviour cool.. because you just know it wouldn't be "cool" or "funny" if it happened to them

Valerie
06-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Rude American his wife was also unfaithful. Why do women always blame the men? hypocrits.
Women don't always blame men. :rolleyes: But, if the shoe fits.....

Originally posted by BironsGirl43 ....And if she did then she's stupid too.. 2 wrongs don't make a right and I wouldn't defend her.... the only hypocrites here are the guys that find adulterous behaviour cool.. because you just know it wouldn't be "cool" or "funny" if it happened to them
Exactly! It's cool until it's their wife having the affair. Once again, the old double standard comes into play. If a guy does it, great for him. If a woman does it, she's a slut.

I agree with you, BironsGirl, I don't think that Marty's wife had an affair. But, if she did, then she's just as at fault as he is.

Earthquake Enyart
06-11-2003, 02:50 PM
If my ex had an affair it would have cost me a helluva lot less money....

Ð
06-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Boy did this thread go downhill fast...

SkateZilla
06-11-2003, 10:23 PM
if You Play 1/2 You Season On Slurpees Then You have an Advantage over a Team thats only Playey 3 Games Prior On Slurpee.

You tend to Get Used to It after Playing 40 or so games on it.
****.. Espn had a Camera Shot of a 1 foot by 5 Inch Hole in the ice straight to the floor In Game 6 Vs Ottawa.

Anyway.

Im Not blaming the Ice. lol.. Im Not a Loser Either .. I Could Prolly whoop your Butt and then Some.

The Ducks Lost Whooopie.. so Disney can Add Western Conference Champs to the price.. Im Actually Kinda Happy for the Devils.. I Got tired of all these Idiots Swearing the Talent is All In The West ..

Ð
06-12-2003, 04:54 AM
Boy this thread's going downhill even faster ;)

Rude American
06-12-2003, 07:51 AM
all I'm saying its there's pbobably more to the story then him banging his sister-in-law. But even if there isn't, he STILL da MAN!!! :D

Ebenezer
06-12-2003, 08:03 AM
all I'm saying its there's pbobably more to the story then him banging his sister-in-law. But even if there isn't, he STILL da MAN!!! :D

I thought it was her sister-in-law...i.e., her brother's wife.

Rude American
06-12-2003, 08:19 AM
I don't know.

BillsMan80
06-12-2003, 06:46 PM
MARTY'S BETTER clap clap clap clap clap.