• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

The NFL gives you terrible choices in terms of live game viewing

I just don't understand why the league doesn't see that it's exclusive deal with DirectTV is limiting its potential revenue generation. Sure it's probably making a nice penny from DirectTV, but your audience pool is so much smaller than it can be if they open it up for everyone instead of just DirectTV customers.

1. Opt out of the exclusive Sunday Ticket deal or at least not renew it and open it up to cable companies and Dish Network.

2. Make it available for paid online live stream viewing, like MLB and NHL.

The whole reason that they made the draft into a 3 day event is to maximize TV viewing audience, even though it hurts businesses in terms of draft parties since round 1 is on a weekday, more people watch it at home thus more individual TV sets are turned on. Now why wouldn't you apply the same principle to the weekly games, allow more people to get it at home (cable, Dish Network, online stream) instead of having to go to bars with Sunday Ticket package? Honestly, the games alone are not and have not been enough to dramatically drive up DirectTV sales, so why not change course now?

If I could buy the package with my current cable provide, I sure as hell would do it in a heartbeat. Why I don't want DirectTV instead you ask? Because I don't like satellite TV in general, but others may not be able to get it at all due to their locations, and others may be loyal to their provider. Who cares.

• El Guapo
    • May 2007

Re: The NFL gives you terrible choices in terms of live game viewing

The NFL Ticket is the only reason I have not even looked at another provider in years. DirecTV has me by the short hairs, and there's not a lot I can do about it.
    A Bills fan in Dixie. How did that happen?

Comment

• ServoBillieves
      The Voice of Reason
      • Jul 2007

The NFL would have a better cash flow coming in with the NFL.com live idea, but I do believe they're going for that stranglehold (as above mentioned) with the Sunday NFL ticket.

It hits my pocket book either way... I'm either spending money on the Sunday ticket, or I'm going to the bar and fighting off idiotic Steeler fans for over-priced Labatt Blue (Coors draft special? I don't think so.) Hopefully they can come to their senses on that soon...
      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

NFL owners don't want every TV HH to be able to watch any game they want.

If your team is 4-10 and it's 15 degrees outside- you don't want people to stay home and watch any other game on TV. They limited it to Direct TV because the dollar to-viewer ratio was very high.

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

I go to a bar to watch the games. I spend a few bucks on beer and wings split among friends so its cheaper.

I refuse to give in to Direct TV.

I enjoy the cable service I have, and the last time I had direct tv I had a lot of problems. Either it wouldn't work or the customer service reps were morons.

I agree with the original post though. I think we should have more options.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• cpearl
            • Mar 2005

There is nothing better in the world thatn Directv Sunday Ticket, especially the Red Zone extra features and the feature to watch games on your computer, laptop, or now iPad.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
              Will not tolerate vandalism.
              • Apr 2006

I just don't understand why the league doesn't see that it's exclusive deal with DirectTV is limiting its potential revenue generation.
              Au contraire.

The reason they purposely limit the accessibility of Sunday Ticket is precisely because of money. As you alluded to, DirecTV is likely paying above market value for the exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket, possibly more than what they could earn from cable providers if they made it non-exclusive. Not only that, but Sunday Ticket broadcasts don't count toward the Nielsens for local TV stations or the networks, which means that it draws away from local affiliates (the same reason they have the blackout rules). Thus, if Sunday Ticket wasn't extremely limited, the television contracts would be worth less and with the TV contracts being the NFL's cash cow, that is the last thing they need or want.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                NFL owners don't want every TV HH to be able to watch any game they want.

If your team is 4-10 and it's 15 degrees outside- you don't want people to stay home and watch any other game on TV. They limited it to Direct TV because the dollar to-viewer ratio was very high.
                Well then the blackout rule can still apply. Why can't that work?

Comment

• JCBills
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                  Au contraire.

The reason they purposely limit the accessibility of Sunday Ticket is precisely because of money. As you alluded to, DirecTV is likely paying above market value for the exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket, possibly more than what they could earn from cable providers if they made it non-exclusive. Not only that, but Sunday Ticket broadcasts don't count toward the Nielsens for local TV stations or the networks, which means that it draws away from local affiliates (the same reason they have the blackout rules). Thus, if Sunday Ticket wasn't extremely limited, the television contracts would be worth less and with the TV contracts being the NFL's cash cow, that is the last thing they need or want.
                  Yeah, the revenue generated per person would drop, but I'd say the millions of new subscriptions would outweigh that easily.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

When it comes to audience, the bigger is always the better. Subscription money aside, you have a larger number of people exposed to many more games, potentially drive up merchandise sales, ticket sales, TV ratings for the draft and Super Bowl. Live streaming games online can even attract fans from overseas, who likely couldn't go to the games or watch local TV or even get DirecTV even if they wanted to, help getting into those Asian or European markets that they've been trying to explore.

Comment

• lordofgun
                      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                      Au contraire.

Not true. All credit is given to the networks for games on Sunday Ticket, just the local channels don't get to show the local commercials. The local affiliates are the ones who are hurt by Sunday Ticket the most.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• ZAZusmc03
                        • Jan 2010

I have dish and I pay the extra 5 bucks a month for redzone, Then watch the Bills via "unnamed" websites.

Comment

• Stewie
                          Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                          • Aug 2002

Online streaming of some sort is coming. They've been building towards it. However, the TV guys won't be happy about it. So the trick is to add it to the mix without killing the NFL's golden goose in the process.
                          Originally posted by Topdog
                          Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                          Originally posted by mercyrule
                          I love Weiner.
                          Originally posted by mercyrule
                          also cheese

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

If you live outside the continental US, you can stream every game on NFL.com for $20 per week. Back when I was in the US, I would go to the bar each Sunday and spend roughly that anyways so to me it's a wash.

Comment

• Raptor
                              • Jan 2009

The NFL pitched the Sunday Ticket idea to the cable companies when it first came out with it and the cable companies basically laughed at them. DirecTV didnt and picked it up, so now whenever it comes up for a renew DirecTV gets first crack at it and since it has become so popular they will pay whatever to keep there strangle hold over the product

Personally I dont mind it because DirecTV is way better than cable anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X