• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Another concern with this defense.....

Is Jarius Byrd.

Yes, I know. The entire board loves him. And with good reason. He was spectacular last year with his 9 interceptions. But, as I (and others) pointed out last year, he often struggled against the run. In fact, he was the worst safety (out of him, Whitner, Scott and Wilson) in run support.

Now that the Bills are in a 3-4 defense, he will be asked to more active in run support. Hopefully he can improve on that aspect of his game.

He might be better suited for CB in this scheme.

He could replace McGee, who, since he is a decent tackler, might be able to play FS in a 3-4 better than CB.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • wmoz11
    • Sep 2008

Re: Another concern with this defense.....

I agree with you wholeheartedly about his deficiencies, but I do not want to see him change positions, regardless of scheme. Let him fail at his current position before moving him.

He's going to be a great player when he become more well-rounded.

Comment

• mayotm
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter
      Is Jarius Byrd.

Yes, I know. The entire board loves him. And with good reason. He was spectacular last year with his 9 interceptions. But, as I (and others) pointed out last year, he often struggled against the run. In fact, he was the worst safety (out of him, Whitner, Scott and Wilson) in run support.

Now that the Bills are in a 3-4 defense, he will be asked to more active in run support. Hopefully he can improve on that aspect of his game.

He could replace McGee, who, since he is a decent tackler, might be able to play FS in a 3-4 better than CB.
      Byrd played hurt all year. Towards the end of the season, he didn't move well at all. That could be part of the reason he struggled against the run. I'm anxious to see what he can do when healthy.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Good point on the injury.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Also Byrd missed OTA's due to that screwy college graduation rule, and most of camp with an injury. So, while I agree that he wasn't very good against the run, there is room for improvement.

Now, Whitner against the run scares me as well. He takes bad angles and when he lines up for the tackle, he sometimes leans too far back on his feet so he's easy to push over.

But basically everyone in the D is learning a new position and there will be some big-time mistakes.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jaybird
            • Dec 2005

I think you might be making an assumption that he will be asked to do more against the run.

he might be reserved for the last man back in the 34. If they play an over under style with the safeties.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

maybe with the guys we drafted, we'll actually make tackles with the first 7 people and byrd can just sit back and hawk all day...which just might mean he'll be more deadly than he was last year. Which may mean better things for the defnse.

Also, the defense was pretty bad last year and simply getting rid of a know-nothing coach and replacing with baking soda and vinegar should be enough to get an "improvement" from last year.

Regardless, i think the on-paper changes made through the draft has made this team better. Now we have to wait and see how gailey runs an offseason and training camp. If they come out healthy and strong, then he's a big upgrade over jauron.

and if in week 1, he has an offense that isn't as vanilla as last years and a defense that can stop 3rd down, the bills are light years ahead of where they were at this time last year.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

The following is a public service announcement:

Byrd's first name is spelled J-a-i-r-u-s. Jairus.

Thank you for your attention.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• tommy6030
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by trapezeus

and if in week 1, he has an offense that isn't as vanilla as last years and a defense that can stop 3rd down, the bills are light years ahead of where they were at this time last year.
                  We will probably have to wait till week 2, because each year the Bills love to put a good show on in week 1, just to disappoint the rest of the year. So we will see.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Is Jarius Byrd.

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    Also Byrd missed OTA's due to that screwy college graduation rule, and most of camp with an injury. So, while I agree that he wasn't very good against the run, there is room for improvement.

Isn't switching accounts against TOS?
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Is Jarius Byrd.

Not sure why you believe that because we are switching to a 3-4 that it means that the FS is required to do more in run support...?

A FS is a FS in any scheme. Just because we are moving to the 3-4 that doesn't change Byrd's role. We still have a SS who will play closer to the LoS.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi
                        Not sure why you believe that because we are switching to a 3-4 that it means that the FS is required to do more in run support...?

A FS is a FS in any scheme. Just because we are moving to the 3-4 that doesn't change Byrd's role. We still have a SS who will play closer to the LoS.
                        Because in a cover 2, both safeties are more apt to be in a zone, playing deep.

With a 3-4, there is more man coverage, thereby making both safeties have more responsibility versus the run.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Because in a cover 2, both safeties are more apt to be in a zone, playing deep.

With a 3-4, there is more man coverage, thereby making both safeties have more responsibility versus the run.

WRONG!!!
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            Isn't switching accounts against TOS?
                            Op =

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              WRONG!!!
                              Ain't never happened before and I ain't starting now.

Comment

Working...
                              X