• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Ennis being here next season not set in stone

Tyler Ennis has been forewarned; there are no guarantees in the NHL.

So while success has come early - and often - for the young forward, the Buffalo Sabres want him to know that he can’t take it for granted. And while scoring nine points in 10 regular season games earns praise, earning a roster spot is an entirely different obstacle.

“We do have a policy of you have to earn it before you get it,” said General Manager Darcy Regier. “We do not have a policy of here you go, we think you can do it… Psychologically for kids to come into this organization, it’s very necessary for them to earn their way.

Because if they don’t earn it, and stumble, it will quickly be taken away.

“That mindset is enormous, Regier said of a young player’s development.

He wants to make sure Ennis understands that.

“I warned him on not being sure that he’s going to play here on the start of next season... Don’t assume that,” he said. “It’s not in a demeaning and condescending way; it’s in a hopeful, optimistic way because there are five months between now and then.”
    The official National Hockey League website including news, rosters, stats, schedules, teams, and video.
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Re: Ennis being here next season not set in stone

Regier is an idiot.

Ennis should be told that he WILL be up next year and we expect him to do even more than he did at the end of the season. Gerbe should be up too.

Comment

• G Wolly
      • Mar 2004

McCormick should stay up here too

Comment

• JD
        Sabres Zone
        • Sep 2003

What a ****ing tool. Ennis is better than 95% of this team. Heart wins championships, he makes up half of the teams heart.
        “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• JD
          Sabres Zone
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
          Regier is an idiot.

Ennis should be told that he WILL be up next year and we expect him to do even more than he did at the end of the season. Gerbe should be up too.
          I'm not quite sold on Gerbe yet.. I say one more up and down year for him and then we decide what to do with him at the end of next year.
          “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

guys...want to avoid another Connolly? Tell him he is not a lock. Good for Regier. Ennis comes in hungry and working as hard as possible. Ennis will be here. Kassian will be here on a 10 game trial. Gerbe? Who knows.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
              • Feb 2005

Why would you want the kid to think hes made it... you want him to keep pushing himself... and it should go beyond Ennis... every player should be made to know he isn't guaranteed a spot on the team

Regier is handling Ennis exactly as he should - it's all posturing. Barring some terrible training camp, the kid will obviously make the big club.

I don't care if people want to criticize Regier when it's warranted, but it isn't in this case - ppl need to get off his nuts
              Last edited by DMBcrew36; 05-04-2010, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                • Jan 2003

I want good players that want to keep getting better. We have tons of guys who got to a level and then coasted. I don't care if he is told he made it, it is what he does from there that will show whether he is the kind of player that will stick for years or if he will be another Stafford, Paille, Kotalik, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

I want good players that want to keep getting better. We have tons of guys who got to a level and then coasted. I don't care if he is told he made it, it is what he does from there that will show whether he is the kind of player that will stick for years or if he will be another Stafford, Paille, Kotalik, etc, etc, etc.
                  I wouldn't put Kotalik on that list. The guy was a 6th rounder; he reached the level he was going to reach. He had no further upside. 20+ goals a year from a guy like him made him more than worth it.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• DrGraves
                    • Mar 2008

Reiger sucks at his job... its unreal...

Comment

• tampabay25690
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by DrGraves
                      Reiger sucks at his job... its unreal...
                      I disagree with you 100%
                      His hand is held all the time with the owners of this team.
                      For being a small market team in Buffalo he has done a pretty good job...Not a great job but a pretty good job....

The Briere situation is the only one that I think should have been handled differently. DANNY wanted to stay bad the Sabres low balled and Danny went for the $$...
                      GO Gators!!!!!!
                      GO GATORS!!

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                        I disagree with you 100%
                        His hand is held all the time with the owners of this team.
                        For being a small market team in Buffalo he has done a pretty good job...Not a great job but a pretty good job....

The Briere situation is the only one that I think should have been handled differently. DANNY wanted to stay bad the Sabres low balled and Danny went for the $$...
                        Again, why would somebody stay in a job they felt was too constricting? It is always brought up that Quinn tells him what to do and what not to do. Why would he stay with those limitations?

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                          I wouldn't put Kotalik on that list. The guy was a 6th rounder; he reached the level he was going to reach. He had no further upside. 20+ goals a year from a guy like him made him more than worth it.
                          What the hell does it matter where he was taken? He has a world class slap shot and is one of the best in the NHL on shootouts. He also has ideal size to play a tough game, but he lacks intensity. We have way too many people on this team that don't seem to play with a passion.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

What the hell does it matter where he was taken? He has a world class slap shot and is one of the best in the NHL on shootouts. He also has ideal size to play a tough game, but he lacks intensity. We have way too many people on this team that don't seem to play with a passion.
                            it matters huge. 6th rounders in the NHL are fodder. Few of them ever pan out. Getting results is a bonus from those guys. People just love to knock his "lack of intensity". I don't care if a guy is brain dead - if he was picked in the 6th and can score 20 goals and be one of the best in shootouts I'll take him over a Stafford any day.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                              Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                              guys...want to avoid another Connolly? Tell him he is not a lock. Good for Regier. Ennis comes in hungry and working as hard as possible. Ennis will be here. Kassian will be here on a 10 game trial. Gerbe? Who knows.
                              They are two different people...he's earned the right to be here...what Regier said is stupid. He then turns around and tries to justify why Stafford or Connolly should stay? Regier is out of touch with what a good hockey player looks like.

Comment

Working...
                              X