PDA

View Full Version : Ennis being here next season not set in stone

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Tyler Ennis has been forewarned; there are no guarantees in the NHL.

So while success has come early - and often - for the young forward, the Buffalo Sabres want him to know that he can’t take it for granted. And while scoring nine points in 10 regular season games earns praise, earning a roster spot is an entirely different obstacle.

“We do have a policy of you have to earn it before you get it,” said General Manager Darcy Regier. “We do not have a policy of here you go, we think you can do it… Psychologically for kids to come into this organization, it’s very necessary for them to earn their way.

Because if they don’t earn it, and stumble, it will quickly be taken away.

“That mindset is enormous, Regier said of a young player’s development.

He wants to make sure Ennis understands that.

“I warned him on not being sure that he’s going to play here on the start of next season... Don’t assume that,” he said. “It’s not in a demeaning and condescending way; it’s in a hopeful, optimistic way because there are five months between now and then.”
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=528076

chernobylwraiths
05-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Regier is an idiot.

Ennis should be told that he WILL be up next year and we expect him to do even more than he did at the end of the season. Gerbe should be up too.

G Wolly
05-04-2010, 04:13 PM
McCormick should stay up here too

JD
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
What a ****ing tool. Ennis is better than 95% of this team. Heart wins championships, he makes up half of the teams heart.

JD
05-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Regier is an idiot.

Ennis should be told that he WILL be up next year and we expect him to do even more than he did at the end of the season. Gerbe should be up too.

I'm not quite sold on Gerbe yet.. I say one more up and down year for him and then we decide what to do with him at the end of next year.

Ebenezer
05-04-2010, 08:11 PM
guys...want to avoid another Connolly? Tell him he is not a lock. Good for Regier. Ennis comes in hungry and working as hard as possible. Ennis will be here. Kassian will be here on a 10 game trial. Gerbe? Who knows.

DMBcrew36
05-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Why would you want the kid to think hes made it... you want him to keep pushing himself... and it should go beyond Ennis... every player should be made to know he isn't guaranteed a spot on the team

Regier is handling Ennis exactly as he should - it's all posturing. Barring some terrible training camp, the kid will obviously make the big club.

I don't care if people want to criticize Regier when it's warranted, but it isn't in this case - ppl need to get off his nuts

chernobylwraiths
05-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I want good players that want to keep getting better. We have tons of guys who got to a level and then coasted. I don't care if he is told he made it, it is what he does from there that will show whether he is the kind of player that will stick for years or if he will be another Stafford, Paille, Kotalik, etc, etc, etc.

Ebenezer
05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
I want good players that want to keep getting better. We have tons of guys who got to a level and then coasted. I don't care if he is told he made it, it is what he does from there that will show whether he is the kind of player that will stick for years or if he will be another Stafford, Paille, Kotalik, etc, etc, etc.
I wouldn't put Kotalik on that list. The guy was a 6th rounder; he reached the level he was going to reach. He had no further upside. 20+ goals a year from a guy like him made him more than worth it.

DrGraves
05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Reiger sucks at his job... its unreal...

tampabay25690
05-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Reiger sucks at his job... its unreal...

I disagree with you 100%
His hand is held all the time with the owners of this team.
For being a small market team in Buffalo he has done a pretty good job...Not a great job but a pretty good job....

The Briere situation is the only one that I think should have been handled differently. DANNY wanted to stay bad the Sabres low balled and Danny went for the $$...

chernobylwraiths
05-05-2010, 07:49 AM
I disagree with you 100%
His hand is held all the time with the owners of this team.
For being a small market team in Buffalo he has done a pretty good job...Not a great job but a pretty good job....

The Briere situation is the only one that I think should have been handled differently. DANNY wanted to stay bad the Sabres low balled and Danny went for the $$...

Again, why would somebody stay in a job they felt was too constricting? It is always brought up that Quinn tells him what to do and what not to do. Why would he stay with those limitations?

chernobylwraiths
05-05-2010, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't put Kotalik on that list. The guy was a 6th rounder; he reached the level he was going to reach. He had no further upside. 20+ goals a year from a guy like him made him more than worth it.

What the hell does it matter where he was taken? He has a world class slap shot and is one of the best in the NHL on shootouts. He also has ideal size to play a tough game, but he lacks intensity. We have way too many people on this team that don't seem to play with a passion.

Ebenezer
05-05-2010, 08:57 AM
What the hell does it matter where he was taken? He has a world class slap shot and is one of the best in the NHL on shootouts. He also has ideal size to play a tough game, but he lacks intensity. We have way too many people on this team that don't seem to play with a passion.

it matters huge. 6th rounders in the NHL are fodder. Few of them ever pan out. Getting results is a bonus from those guys. People just love to knock his "lack of intensity". I don't care if a guy is brain dead - if he was picked in the 6th and can score 20 goals and be one of the best in shootouts I'll take him over a Stafford any day.

Nighthawk
05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
guys...want to avoid another Connolly? Tell him he is not a lock. Good for Regier. Ennis comes in hungry and working as hard as possible. Ennis will be here. Kassian will be here on a 10 game trial. Gerbe? Who knows.

They are two different people...he's earned the right to be here...what Regier said is stupid. He then turns around and tries to justify why Stafford or Connolly should stay? Regier is out of touch with what a good hockey player looks like.

Nighthawk
05-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Why would you want the kid to think hes made it... you want him to keep pushing himself... and it should go beyond Ennis... every player should be made to know he isn't guaranteed a spot on the team

Regier is handling Ennis exactly as he should - it's all posturing. Barring some terrible training camp, the kid will obviously make the big club.

I don't care if people want to criticize Regier when it's warranted, but it isn't in this case - ppl need to get off his nuts

Yeah, except this isn't the rule for everybody...certain players can be absolutely useless...i.e. - Connolly, Stafford, Pominville, Roy, etc. and nothing is ever done to hold them accountable. Regier's statement holds no water...

chernobylwraiths
05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
it matters huge. 6th rounders in the NHL are fodder. Few of them ever pan out. Getting results is a bonus from those guys. People just love to knock his "lack of intensity". I don't care if a guy is brain dead - if he was picked in the 6th and can score 20 goals and be one of the best in shootouts I'll take him over a Stafford any day.

Except for the fact that in the playoffs, one of the only things that does seem to count is intensity.

G Wolly
05-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Everyone calm down. We know he'll be here next season.

Darcy can't just come out and say "He has a job locked up 100%"

It's just how owners and GMs are supposed to talk to the public, with vague statements that could go either way until something IS for certain.

chernobylwraiths
05-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Weber played well when he played for the Sabres two years ago. He is big and hits people, yet we still have mostly guys on the blueline who won't hit anybody.

G Wolly
05-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Weber played well when he played for the Sabres two years ago. He is big and hits people, yet we still have mostly guys on the blueline who won't hit anybody.

I met him once.

He was a douche.

chernobylwraiths
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I met him once.

He was a douche.

doesn't mean he should not be on the blueline.

DMBcrew36
05-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, except this isn't the rule for everybody...certain players can be absolutely useless...i.e. - Connolly, Stafford, Pominville, Roy, etc. and nothing is ever done to hold them accountable. Regier's statement holds no water...

I knew someone would post this. I had contemplated putting in a 'yea yea yea, connolly pominville, whatever whatever' caveat into my post. And I agree that they should be held accountable. I disagree that Regier's statements hold no water.

G Wolly
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
doesn't mean he should not be on the blueline.

I didn't say that did I?

I was simply telling you.

He was a douche.

chernobylwraiths
05-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I didn't say that did I?

I was simply telling you.

He was a douche.

Ok. But it adds nothing to the conversation. A lot of athletes are douches. It doesn't make them bad or good players, just aholes.

G Wolly
05-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Ok. But it adds nothing to the conversation. A lot of athletes are douches. It doesn't make them bad or good players, just aholes.

Calm down.

Not everything on a message board has to add to the conversation.

chernobylwraiths
05-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Calm down?

G Wolly
05-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Calm down?

Yes.

Michael82
05-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Calm down.

Not everything on a message board has to add to the conversation.

:rofl:

YardRat
05-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Did he tell Tyler Myers the same thing??

Ebenezer
05-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Did he tell Tyler Myers the same thing??
I don't recall...but it was known to the public that Myers was on a 10 game trial and even after he did well the first 9 games there was public debate as to whether he would be here.

YardRat
05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't recall...but it was known to the public that Myers was on a 10 game trial and even after he did well the first 9 games there was public debate as to whether he would be here.

I meant for next season, actually.

Ebenezer
05-09-2010, 08:10 PM
I meant for next season, actually.
At this point i think the only way for him to be sent to the minors is either on an injury assignment or by passing through waivers like everybody else...why is this even a question? he doesn't have any junior eligibility remaining.

YardRat
05-09-2010, 08:26 PM
At this point i think the only way for him to be sent to the minors is either on an injury assignment or by passing through waivers like everybody else...why is this even a question? he doesn't have any junior eligibility remaining.

Is the point only relevant to junior eligibility, and not to the minors?

Ebenezer
05-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Is the point only relevant to junior eligibility, and not to the minors?
again, why is this even a question? after the season he had there is no question he will be with the club to start the season.