X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Brohm to get first crack

In a couple of weeks Buffalo’s open quarterback competition will begin in earnest. With OTAs set to get underway a week from Tuesday, the three veteran signal callers along with rookie Levi Brown will begin the process of trying to prove they deserve to be the starting quarterback for the 2010 Bills. One of the three returning quarterbacks from last season however, will be getting a head start this weekend.

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Brohm to get first crack

Nice to see a player take advantage of a voluntary opportunity. I hope he makes the best of it.

Nice comment here...

"The game has slowed down tremendously for me since I got in the league. It was good to get out there and get that feeling. I feel I can play at this level and that’s what it did for me.”
    ...that is so key, especially for a QB.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
      Hall of Fame Zoner
      • Jan 2010

man i pray that somehow brohm might be the answer, i see edwards starting but if brohm can win the job i would be excited...

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Buffalo took Brown in round seven, but GM Buddy Nix also explained that the organization felt their three returning quarterbacks could do everything physically that the prospects in the draft could do.
        I am with NIx on this. Neither Claussen nor MCCoy were projected to be the next Peyton anyways. Don't even think Stafford would be taking the job easily from Trent.

I hope Maybin shows up since he's on his 2nd year.
        Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-06-2010, 07:38 AM.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• NorthCarBills
          • Jan 2006

May be old news to some of you, but I just watched this video, and it proves how much of last year could easily be defined as a cluster xxxx. Inexperienced coaching mixed with a coaching shortage and young or new players equates to nothing but disaster.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Trentative is probably worried, since the playbook is void of instant checkdowns.

Brohm and Brown will actually attempt to progress through 2-3 reads, something Trentative gave up on after the 2008 Cardinals game.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
              Trentative is probably worried, since the playbook is void of instant checkdowns.

Brohm and Brown will actually attempt to progress through 2-3 reads, something Trentative gave up on after the 2008 Cardinals game.
              Gailey will insist his QB goes through his progressions. That's one thing he's always done, he'd rather you force the ball down the field to your #1 then just check it down all the time.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

I like that we may have already seen progression from Brohm. The knock on him in GB was that was not focused enough to even learn the playbook his rookie year. Brohm, himself has even gone as far as admitting his early struggles and greatly improved going into his second season. Unfortunately it wasn't enough as GB only kept 2 QB's on their roster but he has seemed even more focused since coming to Buffalo.

I too think Gailey favors him and I really believe he's going to be given every opportunity to win this job.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by madness
                  I too think Gailey favors him and I really believe he's going to be given every opportunity to win this job.
                  IMO, whoever can get the ball to Lee when the oppurtunity is there will get the job.

*cough* Brown* cough*
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by madness
                    I like that we may have already seen progression from Brohm. The knock on him in GB was that was not focused enough to even learn the playbook his rookie year. Brohm, himself has even gone as far as admitting his early struggles and greatly improved going into his second season. Unfortunately it wasn't enough as GB only kept 2 QB's on their roster but he has seemed even more focused since coming to Buffalo.

I've thought many times about Brohm's situation and lack of development in Green Bay. One of the thoughts that keeps coming up is that it must have been extremely difficult to go from a highly-touted prospect to being drafted for strictly backup purposes. He and Flynn basically had zero chance to compete for a starting spot. I would have to imagine that part of Brohm's struggles stemmed from the fact that he knew he was drafted to be a backup and nothing more. Doesn't seem to put him in a position to be very motivated.

That being said, he still has a long way to go and I seriously doubt that he can ever become a legitimate starter. I'd love to see him prove me wrong. Despite his poor stats in the Atlanta game, I did see a few things I liked from him (the middle-of-the-field Evans comeback route was a good play).

I'll be interested to see how he does this year with a legit shot to compete for the starting spot.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      IMO, whoever can get the ball to Lee when the oppurtunity is there will get the job.

*cough* Brown* cough*
                      I'm pretty sure Gailey and his staff know that Brown is nowhere near ready to start. They specifically said that they were looking for a QB they could develop themselves.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by justasportsfan

*cough* Brown* cough*
                        im not knocking your favored QB, but how do you have any idea who can get the ball to Lee? what if brohm and Lee instantly make a great connection?

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by psubills62
                          I've thought many times about Brohm's situation and lack of development in Green Bay. One of the thoughts that keeps coming up is that it must have been extremely difficult to go from a highly-touted prospect to being drafted for strictly backup purposes. He and Flynn basically had zero chance to compete for a starting spot. I would have to imagine that part of Brohm's struggles stemmed from the fact that he knew he was drafted to be a backup and nothing more. Doesn't seem to put him in a position to be very motivated.

That being said, he still has a long way to go and I seriously doubt that he can ever become a legitimate starter. I'd love to see him prove me wrong. Despite his poor stats in the Atlanta game, I did see a few things I liked from him (the middle-of-the-field Evans comeback route was a good play).

I'll be interested to see how he does this year with a legit shot to compete for the starting spot.
                          When Brohm was drafted Aaron Rodgers had only attempted fewer than 60 passes in his career, so you could argue that it was not a foregone conclusion that he could not compete for the starting job. Certaintly Rodgers had been groomed to take over, but I imagine the Green Bay coaches were willing to consider all options, and probably took Brohm with such a high pick as a safety net at the very least.

Flynn did not come into the picture until Brohm's second season, so he argueably had no shot at the top job but did not let that stop him from winning the backup role.

Comment

• AB4now
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                            im not knocking your favored QB, but how do you have any idea who can get the ball to Lee? what if brohm and Lee instantly make a great connection?
                            we are gonna need someone to get the ball to more than just Lee. i do agree though,whoever the QB is gonna be, it would definetly help if he could make good use of our #1 WR....for once in a decade.....
                            Last edited by AB4now; 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM.
                            thats whats up

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                              Pinkerton's son
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by AB4now
                              we are gonna need someone to get the ball to more than just Lee. i do agree though,whoever the QB is gonna be, it would definetly help if he could make good use of our #1 WR....for once in a decade.....
                              good point...JP did actually utilize Lee, at least on fly routes lol

Comment

Working...
                              X