PDA

View Full Version : Brohm to get first crack

The Spaz
05-06-2010, 06:09 AM
In a couple of weeks Buffalo’s open quarterback competition will begin in earnest. With OTAs set to get underway a week from Tuesday, the three veteran signal callers along with rookie Levi Brown will begin the process of trying to prove they deserve to be the starting quarterback for the 2010 Bills. One of the three returning quarterbacks from last season however, will be getting a head start this weekend.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Brohm-to-get-first-crack/6e657a87-357e-4226-ba2a-f28c158e8e96

YardRat
05-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Nice to see a player take advantage of a voluntary opportunity. I hope he makes the best of it.

Nice comment here...

"The game has slowed down tremendously for me since I got in the league. It was good to get out there and get that feeling. I feel I can play at this level and that’s what it did for me.”

...that is so key, especially for a QB.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-06-2010, 06:57 AM
man i pray that somehow brohm might be the answer, i see edwards starting but if brohm can win the job i would be excited...

justasportsfan
05-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Buffalo took Brown in round seven, but GM Buddy Nix also explained that the organization felt their three returning quarterbacks could do everything physically that the prospects in the draft could do.

I am with NIx on this. Neither Claussen nor MCCoy were projected to be the next Peyton anyways. Don't even think Stafford would be taking the job easily from Trent.

I hope Maybin shows up since he's on his 2nd year.

NorthCarBills
05-06-2010, 07:35 AM
May be old news to some of you, but I just watched this video, and it proves how much of last year could easily be defined as a cluster xxxx. Inexperienced coaching mixed with a coaching shortage and young or new players equates to nothing but disaster.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Bills-Focus-Brian-Brohm-1-on-1/f481ffac-6542-4ca1-903e-9d46d31b9273

Night Train
05-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Trentative is probably worried, since the playbook is void of instant checkdowns.

Brohm and Brown will actually attempt to progress through 2-3 reads, something Trentative gave up on after the 2008 Cardinals game.

DraftBoy
05-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Trentative is probably worried, since the playbook is void of instant checkdowns.

Brohm and Brown will actually attempt to progress through 2-3 reads, something Trentative gave up on after the 2008 Cardinals game.

Gailey will insist his QB goes through his progressions. That's one thing he's always done, he'd rather you force the ball down the field to your #1 then just check it down all the time.

madness
05-06-2010, 08:18 AM
I like that we may have already seen progression from Brohm. The knock on him in GB was that was not focused enough to even learn the playbook his rookie year. Brohm, himself has even gone as far as admitting his early struggles and greatly improved going into his second season. Unfortunately it wasn't enough as GB only kept 2 QB's on their roster but he has seemed even more focused since coming to Buffalo.

I too think Gailey favors him and I really believe he's going to be given every opportunity to win this job.

justasportsfan
05-06-2010, 08:22 AM
I too think Gailey favors him and I really believe he's going to be given every opportunity to win this job.

IMO, whoever can get the ball to Lee when the oppurtunity is there will get the job.

*cough* Brown* cough*

psubills62
05-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I like that we may have already seen progression from Brohm. The knock on him in GB was that was not focused enough to even learn the playbook his rookie year. Brohm, himself has even gone as far as admitting his early struggles and greatly improved going into his second season. Unfortunately it wasn't enough as GB only kept 2 QB's on their roster but he has seemed even more focused since coming to Buffalo.

I've thought many times about Brohm's situation and lack of development in Green Bay. One of the thoughts that keeps coming up is that it must have been extremely difficult to go from a highly-touted prospect to being drafted for strictly backup purposes. He and Flynn basically had zero chance to compete for a starting spot. I would have to imagine that part of Brohm's struggles stemmed from the fact that he knew he was drafted to be a backup and nothing more. Doesn't seem to put him in a position to be very motivated.

That being said, he still has a long way to go and I seriously doubt that he can ever become a legitimate starter. I'd love to see him prove me wrong. Despite his poor stats in the Atlanta game, I did see a few things I liked from him (the middle-of-the-field Evans comeback route was a good play).

I'll be interested to see how he does this year with a legit shot to compete for the starting spot.

psubills62
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
IMO, whoever can get the ball to Lee when the oppurtunity is there will get the job.

*cough* Brown* cough*

I'm pretty sure Gailey and his staff know that Brown is nowhere near ready to start. They specifically said that they were looking for a QB they could develop themselves.

Pinkerton Security
05-06-2010, 08:33 AM

*cough* Brown* cough*

im not knocking your favored QB, but how do you have any idea who can get the ball to Lee? what if brohm and Lee instantly make a great connection?

EDS
05-06-2010, 08:48 AM
I've thought many times about Brohm's situation and lack of development in Green Bay. One of the thoughts that keeps coming up is that it must have been extremely difficult to go from a highly-touted prospect to being drafted for strictly backup purposes. He and Flynn basically had zero chance to compete for a starting spot. I would have to imagine that part of Brohm's struggles stemmed from the fact that he knew he was drafted to be a backup and nothing more. Doesn't seem to put him in a position to be very motivated.

That being said, he still has a long way to go and I seriously doubt that he can ever become a legitimate starter. I'd love to see him prove me wrong. Despite his poor stats in the Atlanta game, I did see a few things I liked from him (the middle-of-the-field Evans comeback route was a good play).

I'll be interested to see how he does this year with a legit shot to compete for the starting spot.

When Brohm was drafted Aaron Rodgers had only attempted fewer than 60 passes in his career, so you could argue that it was not a foregone conclusion that he could not compete for the starting job. Certaintly Rodgers had been groomed to take over, but I imagine the Green Bay coaches were willing to consider all options, and probably took Brohm with such a high pick as a safety net at the very least.

Flynn did not come into the picture until Brohm's second season, so he argueably had no shot at the top job but did not let that stop him from winning the backup role.

AB4now
05-06-2010, 08:48 AM
im not knocking your favored QB, but how do you have any idea who can get the ball to Lee? what if brohm and Lee instantly make a great connection?
we are gonna need someone to get the ball to more than just Lee. i do agree though,whoever the QB is gonna be, it would definetly help if he could make good use of our #1 WR....for once in a decade.....:coffee:

Pinkerton Security
05-06-2010, 08:51 AM
we are gonna need someone to get the ball to more than just Lee. i do agree though,whoever the QB is gonna be, it would definetly help if he could make good use of our #1 WR....for once in a decade.....:coffee:

good point...JP did actually utilize Lee, at least on fly routes lol

buffalobillsfan95
05-06-2010, 08:52 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/06/brohm-hopes-head-start-gets-in-starting-job/

justasportsfan
05-06-2010, 08:52 AM

Brown is not my favored qb. I don't have one in this group. I just think he's got both the mobility and the arm on his side.

If Brohm can get it to Lee, I'm all for it.

psubills62
05-06-2010, 09:05 AM
When Brohm was drafted Aaron Rodgers had only attempted fewer than 60 passes in his career, so you could argue that it was not a foregone conclusion that he could not compete for the starting job. Certaintly Rodgers had been groomed to take over, but I imagine the Green Bay coaches were willing to consider all options, and probably took Brohm with such a high pick as a safety net at the very least.

Flynn did not come into the picture until Brohm's second season, so he argueably had no shot at the top job but did not let that stop him from winning the backup role.

Flynn was drafted the same year as Brohm. Brohm went in the 2nd round, Flynn in the 7th. They competed for the backup job and Flynn won it in their first year.

It may have been a competition in name, but it was essentially a foregone conclusion that Rodgers would start. Why do you think they gently nudged Favre out the door, despite them nearly getting to the SB that year? They didn't do it so they could have a QB competition. They did it so they could start Rodgers. Brohm and Flynn were drafted to be backups, period.

trapezeus
05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Flynn was drafted the same year as Brohm. Brohm went in the 2nd round, Flynn in the 7th. They competed for the backup job and Flynn won it in their first year.

It may have been a competition in name, but it was essentially a foregone conclusion that Rodgers would start. Why do you think they gently nudged Favre out the door, despite them nearly getting to the SB that year? They didn't do it so they could have a QB competition. They did it so they could start Rodgers. Brohm and Flynn were drafted to be backups, period.

hopefully history doesn't repeat with brohm losing out to a 7th rounder again.

Evans is driving me crazy. he better prove he is worth the $ this year.

OpIv37
05-06-2010, 10:04 AM
I am with NIx on this. Neither Claussen nor MCCoy were projected to be the next Peyton anyways. Don't even think Stafford would be taking the job easily from Trent.

I think there's a little GM speak going on there. He needs to justify his picks, so he's claiming the guys we have are as good as the guys in the draft. I'm not necessarily sure that's true.

However, I do agree with his actions and the general sentiment. There really were no good options available via FA or the draft, and I'm really glad Nix didn't get desperate and trade picks or the few valuable players we have for an aging vet or a questionable rookie.

As far as Brohm getting first crack, I hope that's true when the full-team OTA's and training camp start as well. Brohm is a long shot as far as being a franchise QB is concerned, but we already know that Edwards and Fitzpatrick aren't franchise QB's. So, give Brohm every opportunity to prove himself and hope for the best.

BigZ
05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Article shows that he's learned some things since coming into the league. I'm glad to see that he's taking the opportunity to voluntarily come in to learn the system and spend some time with the coaches.

Good attitude.

Only on field time will tell if he can be the #1.

Nighthawk
05-06-2010, 12:11 PM

Who are you referring to? I'm hoping it isn't Matthew Stafford because he is miles better then Trent.

justasportsfan
05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Who are you referring to? I'm hoping it isn't Matthew Stafford because he is miles better then Trent.
Sorry , meant Bradford.

Nighthawk
05-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Sorry , meant Bradford.

Ok...scared me there...

Oaf
05-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Gailey will insist his QB goes through his progressions. That's one thing he's always done, he'd rather you force the ball down the field to your #1 then just check it down all the time.
Um, Losman anyone?

Where have seen evidence of this in Gailey?

Oaf
05-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Article shows that he's learned some things since coming into the league. I'm glad to see that he's taking the opportunity to voluntarily come in to learn the system and spend some time with the coaches.

Good attitude.

Only on field time will tell if he can be the #1.

Not to be critical but,

QB is not starter
QB wants to be starter
so
QB attends optional mini-camp

:idunno:
What's to read into here or about his attitude?

The Spaz
05-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Not to be critical but,

QB is not starter
QB wants to be starter
so
QB attends optional mini-camp

:idunno:
What's to read into here or about his attitude?

He doesn't have to be there if he didn't want to be.

Oaf
05-06-2010, 01:19 PM
He doesn't have to be there if he didn't want to be.
What non-starter does not want the best chance to be a starter?

justasportsfan
05-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Rob JOhnson and Hobert

The Spaz
05-06-2010, 01:28 PM

The point is it's optional. So he is doing what he can to make himself better. That sounds like a good attitude to have, not every player does that. As far as what players don't do that I am sure there are plenty on the Bills roster that could qualify but aren't there.

Michael82
05-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Sounds to me like this job is Brohm's job for the taking. I just hope that he can grab it! :pray:

NOT THE DUDE...
05-06-2010, 02:45 PM
bascially brohm was our 2nd round pick, nix figured brohm has just as much potential as clausen if not more so we might as well see what he has... hopefully brohm can step up, he has the tools...

Ron Burgundy
05-06-2010, 03:06 PM
The thread title is incorrect.

The first crack, as always, goes to Lawrence Taylor.

malvado78
05-06-2010, 03:06 PM
bascially brohm was our 2nd round pick, nix figured brohm has just as much potential as clausen if not more so we might as well see what he has... hopefully brohm can step up, he has the tools...

Actually Torrell Troup was our second round pick. A guy needed to help plug the middle of the porous convertyed run defense. Brohm was the guy the Bills picked up off another teams practice squad and are hoping they have a starter out of the 4 QB's on roster.

Brohm has nothing to do with a 2nd round pick or the draft at all.

If anything Nix thought that none of the QB's were worth it this year to stand behind an unproven line and get smashed for 16 games.

Night Train
05-06-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty sure Gailey and his staff know that Brown is nowhere near ready to start.

So basically,he's on the same level as Fitz and Trentative already.

better days
05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Rob JOhnson and Hobert

You can add Trent Edwards to the list. He spent a lot of time playing golf in Cal when he could/should have been in Buffalo working on his game.

Buffalogic
05-06-2010, 07:14 PM
It sounds good, but coaches love Trent Edwards. I think Brohm and Brown are going to have a hard time beating him out. For better or for worse I'd bet on Edwards starting opening day.

YardRat
05-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Actually Torrell Troup was our second round pick. A guy needed to help plug the middle of the porous convertyed run defense. Brohm was the guy the Bills picked up off another teams practice squad and are hoping they have a starter out of the 4 QB's on roster.

Brohm has nothing to do with a 2nd round pick or the draft at all.

If anything Nix thought that none of the QB's were worth it this year to stand behind an unproven line and get smashed for 16 games.

I think JD is referring to the CW amongst the numbskulls that Buffalo needed to grab a QB in the second round this season, either Clausen, Tebow or McCoy. Considering Nix's evaluation of Brohm relative to the others, Brohm essentially became that second-round QB the others were looking for, even though we acquired him last season.

better days
05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
It sounds good, but coaches love Trent Edwards. I think Brohm and Brown are going to have a hard time beating him out. For better or for worse I'd bet on Edwards starting opening day.

What Coach aside from Dick Jauron "loves" Trent Edwards? The only way Trent is the starter opening day is if it's for better, he will have to win the job this time.

Nighthawk
05-06-2010, 08:29 PM
What Coach aside from Dick Jauron "loves" Trent Edwards? The only way Trent is the starter opening day is if it's for better, he will have to win the job this time.

You beat me to it...I'm not sure what coaches "love" Trent? I think that statement is a bit misleading. I'm sticking with how I've felt all along and that the Bills (Nix & Gailey) didn't pick a QB because they like the potential of Brohm, not Edwards.

Buffalogic
05-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Gailey isn't committed to Brohm just like he isn't committed to Edwards. But Gailey is a good qb coach and Edwards has at least had some starting experience. And just from a measurable standpoint TE has good size and he's smart. Coaches like big, smart qbs. It's not like I'm in love with Edwards I just think he could have the advantage of starting against two total question marks.

Dicky J isn't the only coach who liked Edwards. Bill Walsh liked him and he was a pretty good qb coach right?

better days
05-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Gailey isn't committed to Brohm just like he isn't committed to Edwards. But Gailey is a good qb coach and Edwards has at least had some starting experience. And just from a measurable standpoint TE has good size and he's smart. Coaches like big, smart qbs. It's not like I'm in love with Edwards I just think he could have the advantage of starting against two total question marks.

Dicky J isn't the only coach who liked Edwards. Bill Walsh liked him and he was a pretty good qb coach right?

I really think it is a misconception that Walsh liked him all that much. Walsh gave him props because he was a Stanford QB, but if Walsh truly liked him, why did he not implore the 49ers to draft him?

It is not as if Montana or Young were playing QB for the 49ers when Trent was drafted & Walsh was a consultant of the 49ers.

JCBills
05-06-2010, 09:01 PM

Ugh, his best attribute stripped from him. He used to scan the field so quickly it was absurd. Now he just freezes.

Buffalogic
05-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I really think it is a misconception that Walsh liked him all that much. Walsh gave him props because he was a Stanford QB, but if Walsh truly liked him, why did he not implore the 49ers to draft him?

It is not as if Montana or Young were playing QB for the 49ers when Trent was drafted & Walsh was a consultant of the 49ers.Walsh said he liked him that's all we have to go on.

Walsh didn't work for the niners at that time and they had the number 1 overall pick at qb with Alex Smith. They weren't going to draft another qb. So whatever the niners do/did had no real bearing on Walsh liking Edwards.

jamze132
05-07-2010, 02:42 AM
With Spiller in the backfield, it might be benificial to check down a lot. If Spiller has the ball and some space between the defender, it might take those 2 yd passes and turn them into 10 yd passes.

better days
05-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Walsh said he liked him that's all we have to go on.

Walsh didn't work for the niners at that time and they had the number 1 overall pick at qb with Alex Smith. They weren't going to draft another qb. So whatever the niners do/did had no real bearing on Walsh liking Edwards.

Walsh was a consultant of the 49ers until he died. The 49ers had Joe Montana in his prime when they traded for Steve Young.

Smith had shown nothing up to that point. If Walsh truly liked Trent, they could have drafted Trent to be a backup in the 2nd rnd if nothing more. I still say if Walsh REALLY liked Trent, he would be a 49er not a Bill.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Walsh was a consultant of the 49ers until he died. The 49ers had Joe Montana in his prime when they traded for Steve Young. It's well known that "consultants" often give advice on the side for other teams when it doesn't have a conflict of interest. Walsh and Marv Levy were good friends from decades ago, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had honest discussions about Edwards.

Now, does that mean we'll be seeing Buddy Nix consulting with the Patriots? Not a chance in the world, but what the Bills do doesn't really affect the 49ers all that much, so Walsh wouldn't really have much of an incentive to deceive Levy.

better days
05-07-2010, 02:23 PM
It's well known that "consultants" often give advice on the side for other teams when it doesn't have a conflict of interest. Walsh and Marv Levy were good friends from decades ago, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had honest discussions about Edwards.

Now, does that mean we'll be seeing Buddy Nix consulting with the Patriots? Not a chance in the world, but what the Bills do doesn't really affect the 49ers all that much, so Walsh wouldn't really have much of an incentive to deceive Levy.

Well you could be right that Walsh consulted Levy IF there were no conflict of interest, but that would mean that the 49ers had NO interest in Trent Edwards.

Why would the 49ers have NO interest in a QB that Bill Walsh REALLY liked? It can only be one of two reasons.

1) Walsh did not really like Trent all that much, but was only giving him props because he was a Stanford QB.

2) The 49ers didn't think much of Walsh's ability to judge talent.

Ron Burgundy
05-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Well you could be right that Walsh consulted Levy IF there were no conflict of interest, but that would mean that the 49ers had NO interest in Trent Edwards.

Why would the 49ers have NO interest in a QB that Bill Walsh REALLY liked? It can only be one of two reasons.

1) Walsh did not really like Trent all that much, but was only giving him props because he was a Stanford QB.

2) The 49ers didn't think much of Walsh's ability to judge talent.

You can't be serious. I already knew this...but you're really not much of a logic guy, are ya?

Without spending any effort on this at all, here are three more reasons out of the possible 69 million:

3) The 49ers liked him, but not as well as the other players they drafted in the first three rounds

4) The 49ers liked him, but weren't willing to spend a high pick on a quarterback with 2005 #1 pick Alex Smith on the roster.

5) San Fran's scouts/GM/owner did not agree with Walsh's assessment.

Dying_-2-_Live
05-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Wow, thats a surprise....
I coulda sworn it woulda been Lynch getting caught with the crack first

better days
05-07-2010, 05:13 PM
You can't be serious. I already knew this...but you're really not much of a logic guy, are ya?

Without spending any effort on this at all, here are three more reasons out of the possible 69 million:

3) The 49ers liked him, but not as well as the other players they drafted in the first three rounds

4) The 49ers liked him, but weren't willing to spend a high pick on a quarterback with 2005 #1 pick Alex Smith on the roster.

5) San Fran's scouts/GM/owner did not agree with Walsh's assessment.

5) You are just restating my reason #2 the 49ers did not value Walshs ability to judge talent.

Reasons 3 & 4 are just variations of the fact that the 49ers did not think enough of Trent to draft him. In other words they had NO interest in him. Which leads us back to WHY did the 49ers not like Trent enough to draft him which are reasons #1 or 2 that I gave.

To think that the 49ers thought Trent might be the next Montana yet passed on him because they had Smith under contract or another player they drafted would have better value than the next Montana is not logical. This is the same team that traded for Steve Young while Joe Montana was in his prime.