PDA

View Full Version : What a mess last year was for the Bills

ghz in pittsburgh
05-06-2010, 06:28 PM
He mentioned that last year when he came in, he basically could not get any coaches to help him. Van Pelt acted as OC and QB Coach, but he's busy with game planning. So Brohm wound up studying the book and film by himself.

Granted he's the 3rd stringer so he might be neglected a bit. But the situation he described pretty much existed the whole season. Imagine when Edwards needed to talk to the coaches. Van Pelt may not be able to spent too much time, either.

This whole thing about firing OC before opener really screwed a lot of things. It's not a surprise that the most veteran QB had the most success under those circumstances.

We are getting our front office in order right now. I just hope our coaching staff and support structure is shaping up likewise.

BillsWin
05-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I hope Brohm or Edwards lights it up. It would prove that Dick Jauron was a career killer.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
i think with the new depth we have on our oline coupled with people getting healthy on the oline and with a dangerous down the field threat in hardy and easley plus the addition of spiller, gailey etc... i think there is no reason why we cant finish in the 15-20 range in total offense, including a top 12 rushing offense...

YardRat
05-06-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm not real keen about Gailey doubling as OC, but other than that I think the rest of our staff and front office are at least stocked with bodies.

BertSquirtgum
05-06-2010, 07:00 PM
I hope Brohm or Edwards lights it up. It would prove that Dick Jauron was a career killer.

i don't think we need proof to know that.

Buffalogic
05-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Nix was right when he said the qb's were setup for failure last year.

DBrown77
05-06-2010, 07:13 PM
i think with the new depth we have on our oline coupled with people getting healthy on the oline and with a dangerous down the field threat in hardy and easley plus the addition of spiller, gailey etc... i think there is no reason why we cant finish in the 15-20 range in total offense, including a top 12 rushing offense...

???

ghz in pittsburgh
05-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm not real keen about Gailey doubling as OC, but other than that I think the rest of our staff and front office are at least stocked with bodies.

You mis-understood me. It's not so much that someone has double duties. It's the matter of availability to players. From what I know, in virtually all Pro-sports, it's always coaches trying to get to player's ear, not the other way aroud. Many successful players are self motivated, like Manning lived in football films, still they don't chase coaches tails.

One of the widely known story in Pittsburgh is that Polamalu's 2nd off-season, almost all reporters pointed out the he's like hip jointed with Cowher, constantly talking, asking. Troy was anointed the most likely breakout player for the Steelers that year and he was.

Having a player wanting to know the the finer parts of the game and not tapping into that is a big failure for coaches. Now Van Pelt could very well had good reasons. He's a first time OC and a last minute one as well. He's probably learning other facets of the offensive components himself. the question now is how does the Bills got themselves into this kind of situation. That's a big no-no in this business.

BTW, I'm not here to predict Brohm is going to have a breakout year just because he'd the desire to learn. From what I heard, he's not that great upstairs (head). But it's good sign he's wanting - really this is probably his last shot in NFL. My money is still on Edwards. I still believe he has the right decision making ability; but his confidence is completely shot. Let me put it this way, if you'd put Edwards out there for the 2000 Ravens team, he'd have gotten a ring, much easier than Dilfer - that defense, kind of running game would cure his short comings quickly. Unfortunetly I don't see that in the near future for the Bills.

Buffalogic
05-06-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not real keen about Gailey doubling as OC, but other than that I think the rest of our staff and front office are at least stocked with bodies.I actually agree with it Yardrat. It will be nice for the players to finally hear one voice instead of hearing 10 different things from 3 different people. If the offense sucks it's Gaileys fault and that's better than blaming it on the OC and firing him and having total chaos like last year with the Turk/VanPelt situation.

Our offense will be better with Gailey because he's actually an offensive coach whose had success everywhere he has been. And besides our offense can't get much worse than it was last year.

bigbub2352
05-06-2010, 09:02 PM
skeletor was not only a career killer he is a complete loser who puts together *** teams that cant stay healthy and allow teams to come in here and walk all over us

I hope Brohm comes in and forces us to cut edwards

better days
05-06-2010, 09:26 PM

I think Gailey is the best OC the Bills could get. Wade Phillips is the DC in Dallas & Billy boy is the DC in N.E. Chan was OC when he was HC in Dallas so this is not new to him.

TigerJ
05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Let's not forget that Gailey has an assistant specifically to help him with some of the OC duties, so presumably he can be more effective at the things he is doing.

jamze132
05-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I think Gailey said he was calling the plays this year so the rest of his offensive staff knows what he expects next year when Modkins is calling the plays. I like this strategy.

Historian
05-07-2010, 04:59 AM
I'm not real keen about Gailey doubling as OC, but other than that I think the rest of our staff and front office are at least stocked with football bodies.

Fixed.

:up:

Historian
05-07-2010, 05:01 AM
skeletor was not only a career killer he is a complete loser who puts together *** teams that cant stay healthy and allow teams to come in here and walk all over us

I would like to see a little bit tougher of a camp.

We were talking about this at work yesterday. Picturing Jauron walking around in that silly safari hat with the Bills logo on it.

Night Train
05-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Picturing Jauron walking around in that silly safari hat with the Bills logo on it. If you were a nocturnal skeletor, you'd do the same thing.
" ACK ! The light ! "

NorthCarBills
05-07-2010, 06:06 AM
He mentioned that last year when he came in, he basically could not get any coaches to help him. Van Pelt acted as OC and QB Coach, but he's busy with game planning. So Brohm wound up studying the book and film by himself.

Granted he's the 3rd stringer so he might be neglected a bit. But the situation he described pretty much existed the whole season. Imagine when Edwards needed to talk to the coaches. Van Pelt may not be able to spent too much time, either.

This whole thing about firing OC before opener really screwed a lot of things. It's not a surprise that the most veteran QB had the most success under those circumstances.

We are getting our front office in order right now. I just hope our coaching staff and support structure is shaping up likewise.

I agree. I posted this yesterday on a similar thread.

May be old news to some of you, but I just watched this video, and it proves how much of last year could easily be defined as a cluster xxxx. Inexperienced coaching mixed with a coaching shortage and young or new players equates to nothing but disaster.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lo...e-9d46d31b9273 (http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Bills-Focus-Brian-Brohm-1-on-1/f481ffac-6542-4ca1-903e-9d46d31b9273)

tampabay25690
05-07-2010, 06:11 AM

Why cut EDWARDS???
I think the guy will be a good NFL QB.
Do you really think guys that come in the NFL can figure out the QB postion in less the 3 years.
With some REAL coaching this guy could be our QB this year. He has shown some flashes and of course he has shown some faults.....

Lets face it our TEAM has been a mess.......Lets give the guy a chance......

If anyone should get cut FITZ and let us have 3 younger guys here to learn.

BertSquirtgum
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM

i'd rather they cut fitzpatrick.

justasportsfan
05-07-2010, 10:46 AM
I would like to see a little bit tougher of a camp.

Gym work is going to be vital to prevent injuries . I hope our trainers know what they are doing.

Almost sure these guys under Dick were watching The View or Oprah while hitting the weights which is why they were soft.

BertSquirtgum
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Gym work is going to be vital to prevent injuries . I hope our trainers know what they are doing.

Almost sure these guys under Dick were watching The View or Oprah while hitting the weights which is why they were soft.
i think dick had the fellas taking estrogen while he was here.

trapezeus
05-07-2010, 10:59 AM

edwards is uncuttable at this point. he has experience and is insanely cheap. when you look at edwards vs. fitz from a cost perspective, i think you go edwards.

edwards will fill out his last year in buffalo.

justasportsfan
05-07-2010, 11:48 AM
edwards is uncuttable at this point.

If he gets injured at camp, he may be gone.

If Brown and Brohm picks things up fast at camp, Trent could be gone.

trapezeus
05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
i get the sense that the current roster of QB's is underwhelming to this staff and they'd rather error on the side of carrying 3 qbs. As a result edwards makes the team.

It would take an incredible showing for them to carry brown and brohm without edwards to start the season.

it could happen, but i think it's a long shot. i had heard edwards was under $1mm this year... that's about as cheap as its going to get, really.

justasportsfan
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Unlike some people here, barring injuries I think Trent can still be salvaged and I still think he has an upside. He had crappy coaching and both player and coaches were not on the same page .Add to the fact he had a crappy OL. That's a lot to ask for from an inexperienced player.

trapezeus
05-07-2010, 04:43 PM
i think edwards can be salvaged, but i don't think he'll ever make it through a season without injury. He has to do that this year on top of getting better.

If he doesn't, then he'll be worth a back-up position...but he'll proved to be a glass man.

BertSquirtgum
05-07-2010, 06:28 PM
i think he faked that leg injury in the pats game last year just to get himself out of harms way. the pats were in the backfield all day. i would have done the same because i like the ability to walk on my own power.