• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

A prediction on our QB situation

Heres my prediction on what may happen with our QB situation:

1) Trent Edwards- still is young and can still be developed. Has the upside that a new coach, with a new scheme, and a track record of developing quarterbacks may look for. Trent, like Brohm, has to seize the opportunity. Unlike Brohm, Trent has to show he still can be molded and prove to Chan that he can becomes Chan's guy. If he sticks to his same old play, same old tendencies, Chan may keep him only as a backup. Trent makes the final roster, IMO. But, It may not be as a starter.

2) Brian Brohm- Raw, unproven guy who again has upside. He was a 2nd round pick, and has had little chance to show the Bills what he can do on the field. A team with no real starter will give a guy like that a full look. If he can manage to seize the opportunity and show he can play in this league, the Bills may just go with the youth movement and start him. Preseason games and training camp will be his audition. They can keep either Trent or Fitz as a veteran backup if Brohm faulters. On a rebuilding team, there's no reason to cut a young guy with upside and a chance to become good.

3) Levi Brown- Like Brohm, he is a raw prospect. Unlike Brohm, he, at this point, has had no experience in the NFL. He was drafted by the Bills and they will keep him. He will make the final roster. I don't see him getting the reigns early, but if our play on the field is crappy, and if all our other options seem to be guys that can never be the starter, the Bills may turn to him late in the year.

4) Ryan Fitzpatrick- Ryan is likely to be cut. He has no upside, has shown he cant handle starting duties, and on a rebuilding team with no real shot at the playoffs, it makes little sense to keep him. Especially when you have a much younger vet in Trent Edwards who is no worse than Fitz. I really think Ryan will be cut. The bigger question is when. I could see Chan and Buddy realizing half way through training camp that they arent in a very strong situation at QB and making another move. They could trade for, or sign another vet and release Fitz during or even before training camp.

5) Unknown QB- I think there is still a real chance that we trade for or sign a quarterback and release Trent or Fitz... I think it will be Fitz. Who? I have no idea. Guys like Bulger, Culpepper, or Vick come to mind. It could even be someone that's a surprise... maybe someone like Matt Leinhart, or Brady Quinn... each has competition (Anderson, and Skelton, Quinn has Orton and Tebow). I see this as a real possibility.

In the end I could see our depth chart looking like this at quarterback:

1) Brohm
    2) Edwards
    3) Brown

• Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: A prediction on our QB situation

Not a bad guess at all.

Edwards needs to petition the NFL for a medical waiver, then just bomb himself with Xanax prior to eack kickoff. He's a poster child for anxiety and panic disorder.

Ever since that hit against the Cardinals in 2008, he's been ruined. I have little to no confidence in his future and would love to be wrong.. but I also dislike how I caught him throwing coaches and teammates under the bus last year, when some of his poor throws/ INT's were all him not reading the coverage while under little to no pressure.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

I think Trent starts and Fitz is cut.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

I pretty much agree with you, but even if Trent were to win the starting job, he would have to prove he can stay healthy.

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
          • Nov 2005

I'm not sold on Fitzpatrick being cut, although it certainly could happen. His big thing is that he's a smart dude and is a decent backup and sounding board. If he isn't the number 2, though, I'd imagine he's a goner.

A lot of it will have to do with how Edwards and Brohm look during the season. Gotta give everybody their shot.

If I had to guess, I'd think either Fitz or Brohm gets cut, and Brown's the 3. If Brohm surprises, then Brown is probably bound for the practice squad.

Most likely:
          Edwards: starts
          Fitzy: number 2
          Brown: number 3
          Brohm: odd man out
          Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 05-07-2010, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

Here's my prediction... it wont be good.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

my two cents on the subject:

1. if brohm wins the job, then we have a shot.
              2. if edwards gets it, brohm will be a perenial backup. Edwards will get injured during the year. regardless of how he plays, he'll prove he can't last a full season with or without a line.
              3. Fitz is cut....too expensive
              4. Brown, barring a major miracle, will be a PS with aspirations to move up based on how good/bad brohm is. He'll be the number 2 guy the following year after edwards contract is up and the bills part way with him. Then you have the #1 draft pick next year, brohm and brown. If brohm is mediocre, he'll find himself cut and brown will be promoted to backup.

Comment

• feldspar
                • Mar 2007

I also think that Fitzpartrick will be cut. I happen to think that Edwards is a better option, and Fitzy has a lot bigger of a contract. We'll keep Fitz only if the staff doesn't like what they see in Brohm at all, and that probably won't be the case. They know Brown is a developmental guy, so I expect we won't expect that much from him anytime soon and they'll be less harsh with their criticisms.

We'll go into the season with Edwards, Brohm, and Brown...that's my prediction. I think that Edwards will probably start even if that does piss a lot of people off.

Comment

• mybils
                  smarter than mercyrule
                  • Apr 2010

Brohm starts
                  Trent #2
                  Brown #3
                  Fitz cut

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                    Hall of Fame Zoner
                    • Jan 2010

i agree with this mostly, the key thing is having brohm or edwards turn the corner....

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by feldspar
                      I also think that Fitzpartrick will be cut. I happen to think that Edwards is a better option, and Fitzy has a lot bigger of a contract. We'll keep Fitz only if the staff doesn't like what they see in Brohm at all, and that probably won't be the case. They know Brown is a developmental guy, so I expect we won't expect that much from him anytime soon and they'll be less harsh with their criticisms.

We'll go into the season with Edwards, Brohm, and Brown...that's my prediction. I think that Edwards will probably start even if that does piss a lot of people off.
                      i concur

Comment

• BillsWin
                        man amongst boys
                        • Oct 2008

I agree, and I have this feeling that Brohm beats out Edwards. Just a hunch, and beating out Captain Checkdown for a spot on the depth chart really isn't saying much.
                        I am The Batman.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsWin
                          I agree, and I have this feeling that Brohm beats out Edwards. Just a hunch, and beating out Captain Checkdown for a spot on the depth chart really isn't saying much.
                          If for no other reason than they are in full blown rebuild mode and know what they have in Edwards. At that point, why not see what you have in Brohm? From their strand point, they may end up feeling like Brohm has a higher upside if they think Trent is not going to get much better. Its a question of who could become better, and Brohm may win that battle only because they may not know what they have and may want to find out.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                            Unreachable Douche
                            • Jul 2002

My bold prediction.

They all suck.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                              My bold prediction.

They all suck.
                              Thats not very bold.

Comment

Working...
                              X