• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

DROY re-vote?

Jairus Byrd may be in luck:

According to Associated Press advisor Dave Goldberg, the AP may hold a re-vote for the 2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

Goldberg is also a Rookie of the Year voter. A decision isn't expected for a few days "at least," but Brian Cushing is in danger of being stripped of his award after testing positive for a banned substance last September. Cushing insists that it wasn't steroids. The linebacker wouldn't just lose the trophy, he'd also lose incentives based on rookie-year accomplishments.
    I'd have to assume that Byrd would be the leader if a re-vote was actually held. I'm not holding my breath, but it's an interesting possibility.

The quote is from http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Re: DROY re-vote?

Clay Matthews

Comment

• madness
      • Apr 2003

Cushing to be stripped of award?
      Chris Brown
      Posted May 10, 2010 – 11:07 am
      Tags: Defensive Rookie of the Month, Jairus Byrd

SI.com’s Peter King has apparently been in touch with the head office at the Associated Press sports department and there’s discussion that Houston LB Brian Cushing could be stripped of his Defensive Rookie of the Year award.
      If that happens, presumably Jairus Byrd would be awarded Defensive Rookie of the Year, since he finished second in the voting, although there’s talk that there could be a re-vote.
      Cushing tested positive last September for banned substances and was just suspended last week for the first four games of the 2010 season by the league.
      Here were two of King’s latest tweets on his twitter account updating the situation involving Cushing’s award.
      SI_PeterKing Sounds like wheels are turning in AP offices to address Cushing. AP Sports Ed Terry Taylor tells me: “It won’t be long” before decision.
      SI_PeterKing The best decision, as Dave Goldberg implies, would be a re-vote by the AP’s panel of NFL award voters.
      Last edited by madness; 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

King lobbies for Byrd
        Chris Brown
        Posted May 10, 2010 – 10:47 am
        Tags: Brian Cushing, Defensive Rookie of the Year, Jairus Byrd

With 2009 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Brian Cushing earning a four-game suspension by the league for the 2010 season after testing positive for banned substances, SI.com’s Peter King is lobbying for Cushing to be stripped of the award.
        Bills FS Jairus Byrd finished second in the voting to Cushing, and King believes Byrd should be given the award instead.
        King wrote in his Monday Morning QB column
        …Cushing admitting that he appealed the positive test in February makes it virtually certain that he derived benefit from whatever illegal substance he took during his rookie season. And if this suspension is the result of a positive test at any point during the 2009 season, I’m in favor of stripping him of the defensive rookie of the year award and giving it to second-place finisher Jairus Byrd of Buffalo…

It’s an action that makes sense knowing Cushing’s performance his rookie year is tainted. It would seem only fair to give the award to a player that performed fairly under the rules like Byrd.
        The NFL however, has no jurisdiction on the award since the end of the year awards are handled by the Associated Press. I’m trying to find out if an award like this has ever been stripped from a player before.
        Last edited by madness; 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• Cntrygal
          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
          • Jul 2002

Why would there be a re-vote? Wouldn't they just give it to whoever came in second?
          Originally posted by notacon
          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

I agree with Cntry. Why re-vote? 2nd place should automatically get it if 1st gets stripped.

Comment

• RockStar36
              Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
              • Sep 2004

I'm biased, but I thought Byrd should've gotten it to begin with.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Nighthawk
                Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                • Jul 2002

Re-voting would be stupid...Byrd deserves the award if stripped from Cushing.

Comment

• methos4ever
                  • Apr 2004

I figure that they want it to be "fair" since he got 6 votes. And then I'm sure there will be a number of votes that go to Orakpo or Matthews, since it's not "sexy" to vote in a guy who led the league in picks with a bum groin.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Cntrygal
                    Why would there be a re-vote? Wouldn't they just give it to whoever came in second?

because the people who voted for Cushing at number 1, might have wanted to vote Orakpo or Matthews number 1... had Cushing been ineligible... probably wouldn't change anything but it's best to be certain (and yes i know they don't just cast 1 vote, so i doubt the results would change, and Byrd would probably come in 1st... but it still would be ideal to re-vote)
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mindbender
                      • Apr 2010

Tim Graham on revote?

Would be nice to see Byrd get that award.
                      "Talk is cheap, we all know that. It's like I've always said, don't tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby. That's what we've got to do. We've got to show you the baby, and the baby is winning." ~Buddy Nix

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Does anyone really care?
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Cntrygal
                          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                          because the people who voted for Cushing at number 1, might have wanted to vote Orakpo or Matthews number 1... had Cushing been ineligible... probably wouldn't change anything but it's best to be certain (and yes i know they don't just cast 1 vote, so i doubt the results would change, and Byrd would probably come in 1st... but it still would be ideal to re-vote)

Thanks for the explanation.

I don't like it (Just give it to Byrd! LOL ), but that (your post) makes sense.
                          Originally posted by notacon
                          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            Does anyone really care?
                            I bet Byrd does, if he has any incentives written into his contract.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                            X