PDA

View Full Version : Gailey Believes in a Dolphins Type Turnaround

homeslice5484
05-10-2010, 03:21 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- It's only spring, and the Buffalo Bills' 2010 season is already being written off as a disaster.

Look at just about any review of the Bills' offseason. The team has been pummeled for not making even a ripple, let alone a splash, in free agency. Its draft has drawn mostly low grades for failing to address one of two crucial needs -- quarterback and offensive tackle -- in the early rounds.

By most accounts, the rest of the AFC East improved while the Bills did no better than stand still. That isn't exactly a good thing for a team that finished 6-10 and hasn't made the playoffs for the last 10 years.

"They're looking at us to win only a couple of games," wide receiver Steve Johnson said. "That's like a slap in the face."

Click for more:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81805d05&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

WeAreArthurMoates
05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Toughness and physicality is key, this is what we've lacked and sorely missed the last 4 years. From day one this was my biggest beef with Jauron, he formed soft passive teams.

OpIv37
05-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Of course he believes in a miracle turnaround. He makes several million a year to believe in one.

Billz_fan
05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Wait, now he is looking for a quick turn around ? I thought he said this was gonna take time. Couple years to right the ship ? Build throgh the draft ? Gonna take more than one draft ?

homeslice5484
05-10-2010, 03:43 PM
He has always said you have to believe you can win every game...and play to WIN the game. He also said "I don't hope to win, I expect to win" and has said that since day one.

Billz_fan
05-10-2010, 03:45 PM
I guess it depends on what clip you saw.

homeslice5484
05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I guess it depends on what clip you saw.

I think you are refering to Nix saying its going to take years, every time I have heard Gailey talk, twice in person, he has restated what I wrote above.

madness
05-10-2010, 03:48 PM
I guess I don't have to wait until 7pm now.

Billz_fan
05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
I think you are refering to Nix saying its going to take years, every time I have heard Gailey talk, twice in person, he has restated what I wrote above.

So does that mean it's ok to hold Gailey accountable this year if the team stinks ? Or if I or others call him on performance is everyone going to tell me this is only his first year and this is going to take time ? Just asking :D

homeslice5484
05-10-2010, 03:54 PM
So does that mean it's ok to hold Gailey accountable this year if the team stinks ? Or if I or others call him on performance is everyone going to tell me this is only his first year and this is going to take time ? Just asking :D

I honestly don't know what to think. Gailey I think has to say this for his team to believe...unlike Jauron who "hoped" to win every game and played down to the level of bad teams and was just manhandled by good teams to keep it close. Even Perry Fewell played like Jauron which was confirmed when Brohm said the gameplan vs Atlanta was to "keep it close" which obviously did not work.

I am just stating what I read and heard....this season is going to be interesting because I honestly do not know what to expect. I think we got better on defense through the draft and just scheme....but offense who knows.

I think we will see a different team in terms of toughness and detail, where as Jaurons team was just undisciplined and didn't look like they really played to win.

So I guess it depends on your expectations....I do not think based on paper its going to be a great year, but if Jauron could be 7-9 so can Gailey. Maybe even a game better..

madness
05-10-2010, 03:58 PM

You obviously want to see some sort of progress this year. If our record is comparable to the pundits predictions then I'm not so sure that's what you call progress unless (as Nix stated) this team finally starts to gain an identity.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-10-2010, 04:07 PM
the real key is that bell and wood must be 100% healthy...

i really hope we can get gaither... that would make our oline a potential strength..

BillsWin
05-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Wait, now he is looking for a quick turn around ? I thought he said this was gonna take time. Couple years to right the ship ? Build throgh the draft ? Gonna take more than one draft ?

Our rookies must have made one hell of an impression at mini camp. That, or Brohm.

With a competent QB, we could surprise some people.

BillsWin
05-10-2010, 04:45 PM
I guess I don't have to wait until 7pm now.

Chris Brown said it would be on at 7. He lied.
Chris Brown :negrep:

Prov401
05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
This season, for me, has the biggest question mark stamped on it of all the seasons this past decade.

I am expecting us to replicate what the Jets did last year in terms of game planning. This is why I believe we kept Lynch. We're going to run, run, and run some more. I think our QB is going to be asked to throw between 15-20 passes a game, and to protect the football. We know what we have in Evans (I for one believe he's a tad overrated by most, but still a good WR), and I expect either Johnson, Hardy, or Easly to step up. I'm hoping on Hardy being that guy on account of us spending a 2nd rounder on him, and he should be starting. Either way, I expect us to still be near the bottom of the leauge in passing categories, but I definitely expect us to be in the top 10 rushing the football.

I am excited about our defense more than anything. I think our line is going to be good with Edwards, Troup, and Carrington starting. If we can keep guys like Marcus Stroud, and Kyle Williams fresh, we should still be tough in the 4th quarter to run on. LB's I'm not that cofident in. Poz is a good LB, not great. Maybin is a ?, Mitchell is average, Davis is alright, Ellis is average, Schobel is ? Moats and Batten are good depth. So, I think we'll be decent at LB, but I'm still expecting a lot of slow play out of that position, especially in the middle.

Secondary is in good shape. I'm excited to see Byrd and Whitner play together in this new scheme. Hopefully McKelvin and McGee can stay healthy, and shut down some of these great WR's in our division.

Overall it's going to be a tough season. We're going to have a ton of growing pains, as I believe our division is the 2nd toughest in football (NFC East). Hopefully we can shock a few teams, and get to a respectable, though sickening, 7-9.

Nublar7
05-10-2010, 05:08 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- It's only spring, and the Buffalo Bills' 2010 season is already being written off as a disaster.

Look at just about any review of the Bills' offseason. The team has been pummeled for not making even a ripple, let alone a splash, in free agency. Its draft has drawn mostly low grades for failing to address one of two crucial needs -- quarterback and offensive tackle -- in the early rounds.

By most accounts, the rest of the AFC East improved while the Bills did no better than stand still. That isn't exactly a good thing for a team that finished 6-10 and hasn't made the playoffs for the last 10 years.

"They're looking at us to win only a couple of games," wide receiver Steve Johnson said. "That's like a slap in the face."

Click for more:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81805d05&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=trueA Dolphin like turnaround? The first thing Parcells/Ireland/Sparano did during their first draft was select an offensive tackle and a quarterback to build around. The philosophy they have is to build from the inside out. Start with with the lines and get a young QB in place. Once you have the foundation set you can then target the skill positions(like Brandon Marshall).

Taking a small speedy running back when you really didn't need a running back is more of a Cam Cameron type move, not a Parcells type move. Not saying that Spiller is just another Ginn type pick, but when you have so many other major needs including the offensive line and quarterback, you really shouldn't make a luxury pick like that.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-10-2010, 05:27 PM
A Dolphin like turnaround? The first thing Parcells/Ireland/Sparano did during their first draft was select an offensive tackle and a quarterback to build around. The philosophy they have is to build from the inside out. Start with with the lines and get a young QB in place. Once you have the foundation set you can then target the skill positions(like Brandon Marshall).

Taking a small speedy running back when you really didn't need a running back is more of a Cam Cameron type move, not a Parcells type move. Not saying that Spiller is just another Ginn type pick, but when you have so many other major needs including the offensive line and quarterback, you really shouldn't make a luxury pick like that.

nublar we valued the dline prospects more than the oline in the top of the draft, we took carrington and troup (both were in the top 5 in run stuffing ability) we brought in dwan edwards the best run stuffing 34 de on the market... so we are building from the lines out... we also drafted some stout lbs in batten and moats...

u also forget that we will probably get jared gaither who is just as good as jake long almost...

ps trent edwards can win on a team that is run oriented with a play maker like spiller, havent u seen the titans play the past 3 years??

Griff
05-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Of course he believes in a miracle turnaround. He makes several million a year to believe in one.

we could win the super bowl and you'd still *****.

Griff
05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
A Dolphin like turnaround? The first thing Parcells/Ireland/Sparano did during their first draft was select an offensive tackle and a quarterback to build around. The philosophy they have is to build from the inside out. Start with with the lines and get a young QB in place. Once you have the foundation set you can then target the skill positions(like Brandon Marshall).

yep because it was your LT and QB that did it and not the wild cat formation and Brady's injury.

Mindbender
05-10-2010, 07:28 PM
He has always said you have to believe you can win every game...and play to WIN the game. He also said "I don't hope to win, I expect to win" and has said that since day one.

You play to win the game. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLlIdZikDk)

Captain Obvious
05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
is more of a Cam Cameron type move,

And when Cam Cameron was hired you loved Cam wholeheartedly and loved his creative genius

ServoBillieves
05-10-2010, 09:56 PM

This is the perfect example of an almost 100% asinine post on the wrong board. Learn about the NFL past your franchise and we'll talk.

BertSquirtgum
05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
were you the notary public for the contract signing?

BertSquirtgum
05-10-2010, 10:12 PM

there's one problem here. you don't have a good quarterback.

YardRat
05-10-2010, 10:16 PM

Good thing we got a head start on the o-line last year with Wood, Levitre and Hangartner so that we could concentrate on the d-line this season.

jamze132
05-11-2010, 05:56 AM
I love when people slam Buffalo for taking Spiller. Jackson is 30, Lynch is one ticket away from prison sex, and the other guys are retreads or UDFAs. Spiller is unquestionably the best playmaker going into the draft. When your team has 22 holes to fill, you can't fill them in year one.

I would rather take the best playmaker in the draft anyday over the 3rd or 4th best LT prospect.

ddaryl
05-11-2010, 07:41 AM
C-O-A-C-H-I-N-G can be and will be the difference with the Bills...

We went 7-9 for 3 years and 6-10 last year under Jauron who most all of us agree couldn't coach his way out of paperbag with the botton tore out.

Gailey should have the ability to get our O to play with more consistency.....Can he get our D to play a hybrid 3-4/4-3 well enough is one of the main questions....

We will know where we stand by week 3 of preseason IMO... but one thing we haven't been as a franchise on the field is tough

methos4ever
05-11-2010, 07:56 AM
I love when people slam Buffalo for taking Spiller. Jackson is 30, Lynch is one ticket away from prison sex, and the other guys are retreads or UDFAs. Spiller is unquestionably the best playmaker going into the draft. When your team has 22 holes to fill, you can't fill them in year one.

I would rather take the best playmaker in the draft anyday over the 3rd or 4th best LT prospect.
And it's a heck of a lot easier to get that cornerstone LT like the Dolphins did when you have the 1st pick.

Cleve
05-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Now I have an image formed in my mind of Chan Gailey singing a cover to an old hit by "Hot Chocolate"

I believe in miracles
Where you from
You sexy thing
I believe in miracles
Since you came along
You sexy thing

Nublar7
05-11-2010, 08:43 AM
there's one problem here. you don't have a good quarterback.lol. Oh wow, you sure got me. Now I feel like such an idiot. LMAO.

Henne, the second best QB in the AFC East at the moment has only started 13 NFL games. Hard to make an entire career projection based on not even a full NFL season. He played like a a first year starter at times, but had moments that just made your jaw drop. Henne will only get better going into his second year of starting, the return of Brown from injury, and the addition of an elite top 5 receiver in Brandon Marhsall.

Then again, my reasoning on a Bills board doesn't matter. A simple "Henne sucks" from a Bills fan trumps any facts or logic.

psubills62
05-11-2010, 08:46 AM

Wait a second...how many games did that 2nd round QB win for you his first year, the year you guys turned it around?

Spiller is nothing like the Ginn pick. Ginn was never considered a top 10 pick before the draft. Spiller was. And I still don't understand why people just classify Spiller as a RB. He will not just be running the ball, he'll also be catching the ball and returning it. He is a playmaker, which he has proven through 4 years already. And that is something the Bills desperately needed.

jamze132
05-11-2010, 08:56 AM
lol. Oh wow, you sure got me. Now I feel like such an idiot. LMAO.

Henne, the second best QB in the AFC East at the moment has only started 13 NFL games. Hard to make an entire career projection based on not even a full NFL season. He played like a a first year starter at times, but had moments that just made your jaw drop. Henne will only get better going into his second year of starting, the return of Brown from injury, and the addition of an elite top 5 receiver in Brandon Marhsall.

Then again, my reasoning on a Bills board doesn't matter. A simple "Henne sucks" from a Bills fan trumps any facts or logic.
2nd best QB in the East?

Did Henne play in the AFC Championship?

Nublar7
05-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Wait a second...how many games did that 2nd round QB win for you his first year, the year you guys turned it around?

Spiller is nothing like the Ginn pick. Ginn was never considered a top 10 pick before the draft. Spiller was. And I still don't understand why people just classify Spiller as a RB. He will not just be running the ball, he'll also be catching the ball and returning it. He is a playmaker, which he has proven through 4 years already. And that is something the Bills desperately needed.It is not always about the present, it is about BUILDING for the future. While there are rare occurrences, a rookie QB starting his first season does not usually have much success. The Dolphins took Henne to groom during practices and preseason and ultimately wanted him to sit behind Pennington for two full seaosns. They were going to ease Henne into the starting role. The Bills do not have that young QB to groom and please don't mention that QB from Troy you selected in round 7.

Why not take Clausen or Colt McCoy in round 2? He didn't need to start this season, he could have sat a year and been groomed. Do you really think the Bills will just draft a QB high next year and everything is fine? You will have lost a full year on grooming a player for the most important position on the field.

I am not bashing Spiller as a top 10 pick. He deserves it and will probably have a successful NFL career. By my "Ginn like pick" comment I meant in the way that it really didn't address a pressing need. Not saying he will be another Ginn, it is just a head scratching pick. It is not just me, it is the majority of fans and media people outside of Buffalo.

The AFC East is getting stronger and stronger and the Bills seems to be stuck in neutral. Marshall Faulk's prediction of 3-4 wins has a little harsh, but anything more then another 6-10 season seems very doubtful.

Nublar7
05-11-2010, 08:59 AM
2nd best QB in the East?

Did Henne play in the AFC Championship?What is your point? Did Tom Brady play in the AFC Championship? Please don't argue that Sanchez was the reason why the Jets played in the title game. I think a number one defense and number one rushing attack was the main reason. Sanchez just went along for the ride. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl does that make him an elite QB?

Henne had a better season than Sanchez. Look it up.

psubills62
05-11-2010, 09:04 AM
It is not always about the present, it is about BUILDING for the future. While there are rare occurrences, a rookie QB starting his first season does not usually have much success. The Dolphins took Henne to groom during practices and preseason and ultimately wanted him to sit behind Pennington for two full seaosns. They were going to ease Henne into the starting role. The Bills do not have that young QB to groom and please don't mention that QB from Troy you sleected in round 6.

Why not take Clausen or Colt McCoy in round 2? He didn't need to start this season, he could have sat a year and been groomed. Do you really think the Bills will just draft a QB high next year and everything is fine? You will have lost a full year on grooming a player for the most important position on the field.

I am not bashing Spiller as a top 10 pick. He deserves it and will probably have a successful NFL career. By my "Ginn like pick" comment I meant in the way that it really didn't address a pressing need. Not saying he will be another Ginn, it is just a head scratching pick. It is not just me, it is the majority of fans and media people outside of Buffalo.

The AFC East is getting stronger and stronger and the Bills seems to be stuck in nuetral. Marshall Faulk's prediction of 3-4 wins has a little harsh, but anything more then another 6-10 season seems very doubtful.

Gee, I didn't realize it was about the FUTURE.

However, the discussion was about a Dolphins-type turnaround. Which means we were talking about the one year in between when you went 1-15 and 11-5. My point is that Henne had nothing to do with THAT year's turnaround.

Oh, and we "sleected" Brown in the 7th round. I think only the most delusional Bills fan would call him our QB of the future. Most everyone knows that we'll be going after QB next year. It's pretty obvious that the Bills (and most every other team in the league) ignored Clausen and McCoy for a reason. Neither of them have very high ceilings in the league. This was nowhere close to a good QB crop. I wouldn't call this year wasting a year as long as we build a decent defense to help out whatever QB we draft next year.

The Bills didn't need a playmaker? The Bills, after all their offensive woes, didn't need someone who is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches it? Sure...

Philagape
05-11-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm happy for Miami that one of the three second-round QBs they've drafted in the past three years might work out :up:

jamze132
05-11-2010, 09:14 AM
What is your point? Did Tom Brady play in the AFC Championship? Please don't argue that Sanchez was the reason why the Jets played in the title game. I think a number one defense and number one rushing attack was the main reason. Sanchez just went along for the ride. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl does that make him an elite QB?

I'm guessing Joe Robby, Land Shark, or whatever the **** its called now has a better parking lot too...

Griff
05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
What is your point? Did Tom Brady play in the AFC Championship? Please don't argue that Sanchez was the reason why the Jets played in the title game. I think a number one defense and number one rushing attack was the main reason. Sanchez just went along for the ride. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl does that make him an elite QB?

yeah cause his competition was real stiff, a rookie on a run heavy team, a broken 3rd round QB, and a career back up.