PDA

View Full Version : AP to formally revote for Rookie of the Year

patmoran2006
05-10-2010, 04:37 PM
AP reports that all eligible voters are going to revote in light of the Cushing steriods issue, and recast their vote. Voters still have option to vote for Cushing, but Byrd probably will become the DROY now.

SquishDaFish
05-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Cant wait he deserved it in 1st place

Thief
05-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Doesn't this usually come with a link? I am interested in reading source.

rcd333
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5176949

Night Train
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Byrd or Clay Matthews, I'm guessing. Byrd may be victim of the present media dislike of the Bills.

This just in, we didn't draft the QB or LT were were supposed to (?). Therefore, we suck and need to sign JaMarcus Russell to save our off-season. :rolleyes: So how could anyone vote for a Bill now ??

psubills62
05-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, Byrd came in second, but Matthews and Orakpo are legitimate possibilities to win.

shelby
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
i hope Byrd gets it this time, he deserves it!

THRILLHO
05-10-2010, 05:42 PM
It will be interesting to see how many votes Cushing gets this time around...

Luisito23
05-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Nice to heart, and thank you SO much for changing your avatar!

Italian Stallion
05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Harvin or orakpo will win...Byrd plays for the bills so he won't win

Jersey1031
05-10-2010, 08:49 PM

i agree, king kind of went out of his way in his post to say that this doesn't necessarily mean byrd will win the award

ServoBillieves
05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
I would really not be shocked if Cushing still wins it. 50 votes to 6... that's a lot of minds that need changed. Also, if not Cushing, I agree with either Harvin or Matthews, because obviously it's really easy to get 9 picks in your first year of NFL experience while not starting the first few games.

BILLSROCK1212
05-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I would really not be shocked if Cushing still wins it. 50 votes to 6... that's a lot of minds that need changed. Also, if not Cushing, I agree with either Harvin or Matthews, because obviously it's really easy to get 9 picks in your first year of NFL experience while not starting the first few games.
i read somewhere that Schefter is hearing that

Jaybird
05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
I would love for byrd to take it home, however, I think Cushing will take it after the re-vote

YardRat
05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if many of Cushing's votes went Orakpo or Matthews' way instead of Byrd.

Sportsuser101
05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Cushing will probably still win. He wont by too many votes for all those minds to be changed

jamze132
05-11-2010, 05:57 AM
I doubt it.

YardRat
05-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Well considering he isn't elligible this time, I doubt he wins again.

pat's op indicates that Cushing can still be voted for.

Coach Sal
05-11-2010, 06:08 AM
I'd love to see Jairus win it.......but I'm not sure it matters, if only for the future when people see the list of winners. Most people will still recognize Cushing as the "best" defensive rookie last year. Especially after he comes back in 5 weeks and starts making plays again.

But maybe it will be some sort of deterrent for others to not do it? Losing awards like this, or Pro Bowl honors, etc. can cost guys a ot of money when it comes time to renegotiate contracts.

Mike Greenwell said several years ago he deserved to be declared and awarded the 1988 AL MVP award, and it should be stripped from Jose Canseco:

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Mike Greenwell, 1988 American League MVP?

The former Boston Red Sox outfielder said Jose Canseco's admission that he took steroids raises questions about the legitimacy of the award that season.

"Where's my MVP?" Greenwell told the Fort Myers News-Press. "[Canseco's] an admitted steroid user. I was clean. If they're going to start putting asterisks by things, let's put one by the MVP."

Canseco hit .307 with 42 home runs, 124 RBI and 40 stolen bases for the Oakland A's in 1988 and was unanimously voted the league's MVP. Greenwell, who hit .325 with 22 home runs, 119 RBI and 16 stolen bases that season, finished second in the balloting.

"I do have a problem with losing the MVP to an admitted steroids user," Greenwell told the News-Press, adding that not winning the award likely cost him millions of dollars.

"Every time you renegotiate a contract, if you're an MVP, you have a different level of bargaining power," Greenwell was quoted as saying. "But in honesty, I don't care about the money."

According to the News-Press, Greenwell now works as a Fort Myers real estate developer and a volunteer assistant coach for the Riverdale High School baseball team. Greenwell graduated from North Fort Myers High in 1982.......

....."We all make bad decisions in life, and that's his bad decision," Greenwell told the News-Press. "If you are going to go out and bring other people down, you better be willing to face the consequences.

"I respect what Jose did in the game. I don't respect that [he used steroids], but I do understand how these guys get caught up in it. There is so much pressure to perform that guys are willing to do anything to stay on top."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1993112

TacklingDummy
05-11-2010, 06:57 AM
They should look back at the Bills/Giants Super Bowl and give the victory to the Bills since LT has turned out to be such a douche bag.

DraftBoy
05-11-2010, 07:37 AM
This is a horrible horrible horrible decision by the AP for the record.

malvado78
05-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Why?

Because of the revote or because the Cushing can still be voted for or because they should ahve just given it to the 1st runner up?

I think it is good for Cushing to be stripped. Quit doing drugs.

BlackMetalNinja
05-11-2010, 08:46 AM
For the record, Cushing tested positive for a Non-Steroid. He had slightly increased levels of a natural hormone and passed all subsequent tests. He may have used something on the banned list, but it wasn't steroids. Additionally, the season before, this particular hormone was not amongst those that would cause a failed test.

I think there is a very real chance Cushing still gets the votes to keep the award.

jamze132
05-11-2010, 09:08 AM
pat's op indicates that Cushing can still be voted for.
Yeah, he is right, I corrected my post too late. Why the **** are you quoting me so GD soon!!! :up:

psubills62
05-11-2010, 09:10 AM
For the record, Cushing tested positive for a Non-Steroid. He had slightly increased levels of a natural hormone and passed all subsequent tests. He may have used something on the banned list, but it wasn't steroids. Additionally, the season before, this particular hormone was not amongst those that would cause a failed test.

I think there is a very real chance Cushing still gets the votes to keep the award.

Suspended LB Brian Cushing's positive test last September was reportedly for abnormally elevated levels of "hCG" -- a non-steroidal substance produced naturally by the body.

The catch is, it's also a popular combo agent during anabolic steroid cycling, and the same thing Manny Ramirez was suspended for in 2009. When injected, hCG can restore testicular size (which is affected by steroids), in addition to produce testosterone. Cushing may not have tested positive for 'roids, but it's pretty clear he did them. As SI's Ross Tucker noted late Monday, many players use PEDs during the offseason, when their chances of being tested are down. They then maintain the gains during the season.

Quote from rotoworld.com, emphasis added.

I think there's a chance Cushing still gets it, but I doubt it's real likely. Don't you think the AP voters put in their feedback on whether there should be a re-vote? There must have been enough people who said "Yes, I'd change my vote" for the AP to then say, "OK, then let's vote again."

mikemac2001
05-11-2010, 09:25 AM

He failed the test before the season that's the problem if it was after the season or even late 2nd half I would have been like whatever

it's
like awarding a cheater who got caught and was allowed to play all year

Ron Burgundy
05-11-2010, 09:46 AM
He failed the test before the season that's the problem if it was after the season or even late 2nd half I would have been like whatever

it's
like awarding a cheater who got caught and was allowed to play all year

Julius Peppers won DROY in 2002, and he was suspended for four games during the ****ing season he won it.

It is an extremely stupid decision by the AP.

DraftBoy
05-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Why?

Because of the revote or because the Cushing can still be voted for or because they should ahve just given it to the 1st runner up?

I think it is good for Cushing to be stripped. Quit doing drugs.

Take off the Bills glasses the precedent this sets is atrocious and disgraceful.

Ron Burgundy
05-11-2010, 09:57 AM
It's a pointless exercise because no one gives a ****. These awards are meaningless. Anybody remember another DROY?

If you do, go outside and get some fresh air for christ's sake.

psubills62
05-11-2010, 10:06 AM
It's a pointless exercise because no one gives a ****. These awards are meaningless. Anybody remember another DROY?

If you do, go outside and get some fresh air for christ's sake.
Wasn't Demeco Ryans a DROY?

Buffalogic
05-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Julius Peppers won DROY in 2002, and he was suspended for four games during the ****ing season he won it.

It is an extremely stupid decision by the AP.Just because they made a mistake in 2002 means the should repeat that mistake in 2010? Nice logic.

Sorry, you don't deserve accolades if you cheat. Especially when there are other very acceptable, non-cheating, players good enough to win the award.

If you turn in a report to your professor and purger it the whole way because you want to win an academic contest, guess what, when they find out you cheated you suffer a lot harsher penalties than just losing an award, and for good reason.

Props to AP.

Dicknoze69
05-11-2010, 10:08 AM

It is an extremely stupid decision by the AP.

The difference is the AP voters knew Peppers had violated the substance abuse policy in 2002; here, the voters had no idea Cushing had violated the substance abuse policy.

Ron Burgundy
05-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Just because they made a mistake in 2002 means the should repeat that mistake in 2010? Nice logic.

Nope, now they get to go back and revise every stupid little award they give out, which should be tons of fun given the number of PED users in the sports which the AP covers, which is all of them.

Ron Burgundy
05-11-2010, 10:20 AM
The difference is the AP voters knew Peppers had violated the substance abuse policy in 2002; here, the voters had no idea Cushing had violated the substance abuse policy.

That doesn't help matters. How about Shawne Merriman's 2005 DROY? He was suspended between his rookie year and 2006 for PED usage. Voters didn't know, but the year where he was getting PED assistance was his rookie year. Did they go back and take it away? Nope. Now they get to, or at least reopen the voting.

BlackMetalNinja
05-11-2010, 10:38 AM
That doesn't help matters. How about Shawne Merriman's 2005 DROY? He was suspended between his rookie year and 2006 for PED usage. Voters didn't know, but the year where he was getting PED assistance was his rookie year. Did they go back and take it away? Nope. Now they get to, or at least reopen the voting.The only reason anybody cares about this here is because Jairus Byrd is involved...

DraftBoy
05-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Just because they made a mistake in 2002 means the should repeat that mistake in 2010? Nice logic.

Sorry, you don't deserve accolades if you cheat. Especially when there are other very acceptable, non-cheating, players good enough to win the award.

If you turn in a report to your professor and purger it the whole way because you want to win an academic contest, guess what, when they find out you cheated you suffer a lot harsher penalties than just losing an award, and for good reason.

Props to AP.

May as well take away every award, title, and record ever accomplished in the major sports over the last twenty years using your logic.

DraftBoy
05-11-2010, 10:39 AM
The only reason anybody cares about this here is because Jairus Byrd is involved...

Of course, its all about the bias in this case. If Byrd wasn't in the running this is in the NFL Zone.

Anybody claiming differently isn't fooling anyone.

RockStar36
05-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Something tells me that Harvin probably won't win Defensive Rookie of the Year.

RockStar36
05-11-2010, 11:14 AM
That doesn't help matters. How about Shawne Merriman's 2005 DROY? He was suspended between his rookie year and 2006 for PED usage. Voters didn't know, but the year where he was getting PED assistance was his rookie year. Did they go back and take it away? Nope. Now they get to, or at least reopen the voting.

I see your point, but I guess it isn't the same situation.

Cushing's case differs from San Diego's Shawne Merriman (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8427), who won the 2005 defensive rookie award, then tested positive in the 2006 offseason for steroids contained in a supplement. Carolina's Julius Peppers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3530) won the 2002 award even though he had already been suspended for the final four games of the season for violating the league's drug policy -- he used a dietary supplement that contained a banned substance.

patmoran2006
05-11-2010, 11:16 AM
From AP eligible voters I've read, doesn't sound like they are going to vote for Cushing.

Ron Burgundy
05-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I see your point, but I guess it isn't the same situation.

No, it's not the same situation. It's actually worse, since either 1) the AP didn't give a damn about Pepper's usage of a banned substance, or 2) the AP found out about Merriman's 'roid tendencies and refused to go back and strip his award from him.

RockStar36
05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
No, it's not the same situation. It's actually worse, since either 1) the AP didn't give a damn about Pepper's usage of a banned substance, or 2) the AP found out about Merriman's 'roid tendencies and refused to go back and strip his award from him.

But...this time a Bills player might win it, so I totally agree with the decision.

WeAreArthurMoates
05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
May as well take away every award, title, and record ever accomplished in the major sports over the last twenty years using your logic.

Not every reward was based on cheating. PED's give you an edge over a guy playing the game clean, these guys should not get rewarded with it. The Merriman, Taylor case is really the only other example this decade and like this one, there should of been a revote. PLAYERS SHOULD NOT GET REWARDED FOR CHEATING. These awards can give players extra money, that is not cool.

Dr. Lecter
05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Not every reward was based on cheating. PED's give you an edge over a guy playing the game clean, these guys should not get rewarded with it. The Merriman, Taylor case is really the only other example this decade and like this one, there should of been a revote. PLAYERS SHOULD NOT GET REWARDED FOR CHEATING. These awards can give players extra money, that is not cool.

I bet that any bonus for that award is something he will still receive.

This is silly and stupid. If they are opposed to him winning, take his name off the ballot. They did not do so.

The AP looks dumb. So does the NFL for taking 8 months to decide on his appeal. So does Cushing for taking a masking agent he should have known would be detected.

DraftBoy
05-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Prove it.

You can't which is why this entire situation is dumber than hell.

Buffalogic
05-11-2010, 01:17 PM
May as well take away every award, title, and record ever accomplished in the major sports over the last twenty years using your logic.Why lol? You don't have to change everything in the past to start doing it right from this point forward. In the past we weren't as aware of Ped's as we are now, so penalize the cheaters.

Or they should keep doing it the wrong way just because they have always done it the wrong way in the past. Nice. :rolleyes:

madness
05-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Re-vote results expected at 1 pm
Chris Brown
Posted May 12, 2010 – 9:08 am
Tags: Brian Cushing (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/brian-cushing/)

The results of the Associated Press’ unprecedented re-vote for NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year are expected to be announced early this afternoon.
That according to Houston Texans beat writer John McClain, who has an AP vote, posted as much on his twitter account this morning.
McClain_on_NFL (http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/13851034484) We should find out bout AP revote sometime during noon hour, cst.
McClain obviously said noon since he’s in Houston on central time. So that’s 1 pm eastern time. McClain also mentioned in a subsequent post that despite reports to the contrary that Cushing will not lose any of his bonus money from 2009 because none of it was tied to being named Defensive Rookie of the Year. Per McClain, Cushing’s two bonuses that kicked in from 2009 will amount to about $9 million.

DraftBoy
05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Why lol? You don't have to change everything in the past to start doing it right from this point forward. In the past we weren't as aware of Ped's as we are now, so penalize the cheaters.

Or they should keep doing it the wrong way just because they have always done it the wrong way in the past. Nice. :rolleyes:

So cheating was ok back then but not now? Thank you for the double standard.

We were well aware of PED's in the past, just because Joe Schmoo didnt know the difference between a PED and PET, doesnt mean the athletes, and the leagues weren't well aware.

Ron Burgundy
05-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Also, let's not forget that it's an award that has no significance, no one cares about it, and the AP is only doing this because the voters look ******ed for giving the DROY to a guy who got popped. It's certainly not some "we feel the records should be sacred" thing, or they'd be busy fixing every stupid god**** postseason award that they've ever given out to a confirmed substance abuser.

Mindbender
05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
One vote for Byrd...two for Orakpo (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/brian-cushing-associated-press-award-re-vote)

DraftBoy
05-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Also, let's not forget that it's an award that has no significance, no one cares about it, and the AP is only doing this because the voters look ******ed for giving the DROY to a guy who got popped. It's certainly not some "we feel the records should be sacred" thing, or they'd be busy fixing every stupid god**** postseason award that they've ever given out to a confirmed substance abuser.

Football is about who won the game.

Records and stupid awards are baseball's OCD obsession.

Dr. Lecter
05-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Football is about who won the game.

Records and stupid awards are baseball's OCD obsession.

Except according to FTP wins and losses are not a measure of how good a team is.

I think that was my favorite quote ever at this place.

Mr. Pink
05-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Is there really a point of stripping a completely useless award and re-voting on something that 3 years from now no one will care about?

WeAreArthurMoates
05-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Prove it.

You can't which is why this entire situation is dumber than hell.

Touche on that

Demon
05-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Cushing wins it again. per Houston Chronicle.

Mr. Pink
05-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Cushing wins it again. per Houston Chronicle.

:rofl:

That makes this entire decision even more ******ed than it was to begin with.