X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Ellis glad to get jump start

It’s been two NFL years of sporadic playing time on the defensive side of the ball for Chris Ellis. The former third-round draft pick discovered that getting regular snaps was easier said than done. With 10 career games and eight career tackles, Ellis clearly wants to be a bigger contributor.

Improving one’s game in the offseason is always on the agenda for any young NFL player, but mastering a new position in a new defensive scheme is also on the docket for Ellis and several other defensive players. The defensive end turned outside linebacker however, is taking the transition as a positive.

• psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Ellis glad to get jump start

Ah, this quote might clear up the "why were third-year players allowed at the recent minicamp?"

With just two NFL seasons under his belt Ellis was eligible to participate in this past weekend’s rookie minicamp
    Seems to me like they aren't officially counted as third-year players yet.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
      Ah, this quote might clear up the "why were third-year players allowed at the recent minicamp?"

Seems to me like they aren't officially counted as third-year players yet.
      I think it was probably just so obvious that Chris Ellis needed the extra practice so the NFL granted him a waiver.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
        I think it was probably just so obvious that Chris Ellis needed the extra practice so the NFL granted him a waiver.
        goodell probably just saw who it was and said "eh who gives a s*** he sucks"

Comment

• madness
          • Apr 2003

It's the coach's decision on who he wants at minicamp, not the league's.

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by madness
            It's the coach's decision on who he wants at minicamp, not the league's.
            Actually I think it's the players decision. Anyone can participate within the parameters the league the sets.

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
              Actually I think it's the players decision. Anyone can participate within the parameters the league the sets.
              Yes, it's voluntary but the coach decides on the level of participation. Gailey gets three minicamps for being a new coach and only one can be mandatory.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by madness
                Yes, it's voluntary but the coach decides on the level of participation. Gailey gets three minicamps for being a new coach and only one can be mandatory.
                I guess but I would think Gailey would want as many to participate as possible. I hardly doubt he's telling people no you can't come.

Comment

• madness
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
                  I guess but I would think Gailey would want as many to participate as possible. I hardly doubt he's telling people no you can't come.
                  In a normal minicamp... yes, but this was designated as a rookie minicamp and is geared more towards the younger players. If experienced veterans showed up it would only take away attention from the players that need it. Actually, there were vets like McGee there getting a head start on the season but they did not participate.

Interesting side note in the CBA...

There is no limitation on the number of minicamps a Club may hold for rookie players.
                  Last edited by madness; 05-11-2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Hardy was elligible for this camp, too, as he has played only 2 years. Given his lack of progress to date, I'm really sorry he had something more important to do.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Raptor
                      • Jan 2009

At rookie minicamps players can attend with two or less years in the league per the NFL

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        Hardy was elligible for this camp, too, as he has played only 2 years. Given his lack of progress to date, I'm really sorry he had something more important to do.
                        Well Gailey made it sound like his absense was approved and understood.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                          • Feb 2005

Chris Ellis?

Who???

Comment

Working...
                          X