X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Jauron is not that bad

Except, of course, he does not have a super talented roster like Marv had during his run in the early 90s.

Mind you I don't really bash Marv as a coach. I always believe that certain coaches works well with certain type of players, just like in every day life a different style of management works well with some people, but not everyone. Marv had a lot of talent AND a lot of egos. He was able to control that egos and channel them into maximizing their talent on the field. That is a skill not easily done.

Likewise Jauron has very good personal skills. Players respect him and he treats them like men. That'll work well with self-motivated players with high talent who can build on their success on the field and grow. The trouble is he does not have that kind of roster during his time here. You may say that's the front office's fault, but the fact is he's just not the kind of coaches who can inspire people nor adapt schemes to maximize the talent on hand to help them grow. The regress of young players, the no-huddle are prime examples.

Gregg Williams is the opposite of Jauron. He treated his players like new recruits - learn my way or the high way. He did bring up quite a few talent during his time, but also irritated and led to the departure of key veterans.

The whole Mularkey hiring was a big mistake on Donahoe part. Mularkey learned to be tough as a team from Cowher but didn't know how to build a tough team. He's very much into schemes which is perfect as a OC. As a head coach, he's lacking the most attribute: know the team's pulse. You hear so many stories from his era Bill players that replacing Bledsoe with Losman is such a letdown for the entire team at the time. I don't think Mularkey is going to be HC in NFL anytime soon, if ever.

I don't know how Chan Gailey is going to turn out for the Bills. On surface, he may look like another Mularkey but his Dallas years proved he's more mature or HC ready than Mularkey ever was. Someone told me that he's like a pre-superbow sucess Shanahan but I don't see a strong personality from him. To me, Gailey probably always need to have a strong GM like Buddy Nix behind him. I do like the fact that he puts teaching at the top priority (like Gregg) which is the most important thing for this young team right now. I also like the fact he's willing to adapt to the talent on hand and scheme to take advantage of that (like Mularkey). I especially like the fact that he preaches and practice toughness on the team "from neck up", like he said they purposely gave the rookies more mental stuff than they can handle to see how they work on them. As far as handling the team pulse and egos, well we'll have to see later in the fall.
  • dasaybz
    • Apr 2005

Re: Jauron is not that bad

What's your excuse for all the ****ty coaching that he did? Sure, he might be a good man, but as a football coach, Marv blows him out of the water.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

i get your point on marv having the tools and jauron not....but jauron just jammed square peg into round hole over and over again. Marv had a pretty vanilla offense in 88 and 89. I remember we were all like, "run run pass" with the bills. they had more talent to not go 3 and out all the time, but they weren;t very interesting. and then they looked at what they had and said, "let's go with what our team has."

I don't think jauron ever makes that call. he switched out of desperation last year and it didn't fit the team's profile. Marv handed kelly the no huddle offense with 7 years of pro QBing under his belt. Jauron handed it over with 2 years of pro qbing under trent's belt.

Jauron didn't get help from the GM by committee approach, but he was allowed to make draft calls himself and picked the one position he understood, too many times.

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

Aside from his personal likability, Dick's coaching deficiencies have been well-documented. Make him Team Best Buddy, but the man has no business coaching an NFL team.

And the thing is, he cannot be separated from the talent he had. For the last two years, and possibly four (if Marv was just a figurehead), Dick Jauron was the highest-ranking football man in the organization. He is to blame as much as anyone for the talent that was brought in. So you can't just say he was given crap to work with, because he gave it to himself. It's his crap on all levels.
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Griff
          • Jul 2008

yeah and Bill Belichick sucked before going to the Pats, he still found ways to win once in New England however. Jauron sucked in Chicago and sucked here.

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
            My IQ Test results came back negative
            • Oct 2002

Nothing was worse then Dicks clock management.

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

LMAO

You must of failed to watch any Bills games the past 4 years... Cause if you did you would of noticed the game day decisions and offseason decisions being made SUCKED MAJOR SACKAGE

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                • Nov 2009

This is a very shocking piece...it should get some of the Zoners upset with you, which must be exactly what you want.

Very Howard Stern, bro. Shocking, brash, completely ****ing ******ed.

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
                    shelby's big brother smilie smilie
                    • Mar 2007

Dick shouldn't you be working? You're with the Eagles now so just move on.

Comment

• JD
                      Sabres Zone
                      • Sep 2003

“You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                        • Jul 2002

I couldn't even read past the first few sentences...all I have to say is, you're wrong...Dickey was quite possibly the worst NFL HC ever. I'm not sure he did anything well...his offense was putrid, he always picked mediocre talent for his defense, which was, of course, mediocre and he was terrible on gameday.

Sorry, this guy was horrible!

Comment

• Bill Cody
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                          Likewise Jauron has very good personal skills. Players respect him and he treats them like men. That'll work well with self-motivated players with high talent who can build on their success on the field and grow.
                          Other than one good season in Chicago, where is your evidence that Jauron is a winning coach? Marv proved he could win with good talent. What did Jauron prove? That he can't win with poor talent? That he may be one of the most boring guys to ever wear a headset? Failing with bad teams doesn't = succeeding with good teams.

Sorry we all watched Jauron here. I'd be hard pressed to pick one thing he did really well. Nice guy. Intelligent. But is he a leader? Motivator? Schemer? Time manager? Does he take calculated risks? Can he attract strong assistants? Recruit free agents? Excude an air of confidence to the team and the community? Know player personnell well enough to help with the draft? Fill us in pal we'd love to understand what it is our lying eyes have been missing.

Comment

• superbills
                            • Mar 2003

All I have to say to this is...shame on me for clicking on this thread
                            "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                            Ronald Reagan
                            40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• Jeff1220
                              H to the 12:20
                              • Jul 2002

Marv wanted to win.
                              Dick wanted to keep it close.
                              Huge difference.

Comment

Working...