PDA

View Full Version : Jauron is not that bad

ghz in pittsburgh
05-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Except, of course, he does not have a super talented roster like Marv had during his run in the early 90s.

Mind you I don't really bash Marv as a coach. I always believe that certain coaches works well with certain type of players, just like in every day life a different style of management works well with some people, but not everyone. Marv had a lot of talent AND a lot of egos. He was able to control that egos and channel them into maximizing their talent on the field. That is a skill not easily done.

Likewise Jauron has very good personal skills. Players respect him and he treats them like men. That'll work well with self-motivated players with high talent who can build on their success on the field and grow. The trouble is he does not have that kind of roster during his time here. You may say that's the front office's fault, but the fact is he's just not the kind of coaches who can inspire people nor adapt schemes to maximize the talent on hand to help them grow. The regress of young players, the no-huddle are prime examples.

Gregg Williams is the opposite of Jauron. He treated his players like new recruits - learn my way or the high way. He did bring up quite a few talent during his time, but also irritated and led to the departure of key veterans.

The whole Mularkey hiring was a big mistake on Donahoe part. Mularkey learned to be tough as a team from Cowher but didn't know how to build a tough team. He's very much into schemes which is perfect as a OC. As a head coach, he's lacking the most attribute: know the team's pulse. You hear so many stories from his era Bill players that replacing Bledsoe with Losman is such a letdown for the entire team at the time. I don't think Mularkey is going to be HC in NFL anytime soon, if ever.

I don't know how Chan Gailey is going to turn out for the Bills. On surface, he may look like another Mularkey but his Dallas years proved he's more mature or HC ready than Mularkey ever was. Someone told me that he's like a pre-superbow sucess Shanahan but I don't see a strong personality from him. To me, Gailey probably always need to have a strong GM like Buddy Nix behind him. I do like the fact that he puts teaching at the top priority (like Gregg) which is the most important thing for this young team right now. I also like the fact he's willing to adapt to the talent on hand and scheme to take advantage of that (like Mularkey). I especially like the fact that he preaches and practice toughness on the team "from neck up", like he said they purposely gave the rookies more mental stuff than they can handle to see how they work on them. As far as handling the team pulse and egos, well we'll have to see later in the fall.

dasaybz
05-11-2010, 11:11 AM
What's your excuse for all the ****ty coaching that he did? Sure, he might be a good man, but as a football coach, Marv blows him out of the water.

trapezeus
05-11-2010, 11:13 AM
i get your point on marv having the tools and jauron not....but jauron just jammed square peg into round hole over and over again. Marv had a pretty vanilla offense in 88 and 89. I remember we were all like, "run run pass" with the bills. they had more talent to not go 3 and out all the time, but they weren;t very interesting. and then they looked at what they had and said, "let's go with what our team has."

I don't think jauron ever makes that call. he switched out of desperation last year and it didn't fit the team's profile. Marv handed kelly the no huddle offense with 7 years of pro QBing under his belt. Jauron handed it over with 2 years of pro qbing under trent's belt.

Jauron didn't get help from the GM by committee approach, but he was allowed to make draft calls himself and picked the one position he understood, too many times.

Philagape
05-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Aside from his personal likability, Dick's coaching deficiencies have been well-documented. Make him Team Best Buddy, but the man has no business coaching an NFL team.

And the thing is, he cannot be separated from the talent he had. For the last two years, and possibly four (if Marv was just a figurehead), Dick Jauron was the highest-ranking football man in the organization. He is to blame as much as anyone for the talent that was brought in. So you can't just say he was given crap to work with, because he gave it to himself. It's his crap on all levels.

Griff
05-11-2010, 11:21 AM
yeah and Bill Belichick sucked before going to the Pats, he still found ways to win once in New England however. Jauron sucked in Chicago and sucked here.

BillsOwnAll
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Nothing was worse then Dicks clock management.

ddaryl
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
LMAO

You must of failed to watch any Bills games the past 4 years... Cause if you did you would of noticed the game day decisions and offseason decisions being made SUCKED MAJOR SACKAGE

Beebe's Kid
05-11-2010, 11:41 AM
This is a very shocking piece...it should get some of the Zoners upset with you, which must be exactly what you want.

Very Howard Stern, bro. Shocking, brash, completely ****ing ******ed.

The Spaz
05-11-2010, 11:44 AM

Oldbillsfan
05-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Dick shouldn't you be working? You're with the Eagles now so just move on.

JD
05-11-2010, 12:40 PM
:rofl:

Nighthawk
05-11-2010, 12:41 PM
I couldn't even read past the first few sentences...all I have to say is, you're wrong...Dickey was quite possibly the worst NFL HC ever. I'm not sure he did anything well...his offense was putrid, he always picked mediocre talent for his defense, which was, of course, mediocre and he was terrible on gameday.

Sorry, this guy was horrible!

Bill Cody
05-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Likewise Jauron has very good personal skills. Players respect him and he treats them like men. That'll work well with self-motivated players with high talent who can build on their success on the field and grow.

Other than one good season in Chicago, where is your evidence that Jauron is a winning coach? Marv proved he could win with good talent. What did Jauron prove? That he can't win with poor talent? That he may be one of the most boring guys to ever wear a headset? Failing with bad teams doesn't = succeeding with good teams.

Sorry we all watched Jauron here. I'd be hard pressed to pick one thing he did really well. Nice guy. Intelligent. But is he a leader? Motivator? Schemer? Time manager? Does he take calculated risks? Can he attract strong assistants? Recruit free agents? Excude an air of confidence to the team and the community? Know player personnell well enough to help with the draft? Fill us in pal we'd love to understand what it is our lying eyes have been missing.

superbills
05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
All I have to say to this is...shame on me for clicking on this thread :shakeno:

Jeff1220
05-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Marv wanted to win.
Dick wanted to keep it close.
Huge difference.

ddaryl
05-11-2010, 01:52 PM
This is a very shocking piece...it should get some of the Zoners upset with you, which must be exactly what you want.

Very Howard Stern, bro. Shocking, brash, completely ****ing ******ed.

I was thinking more Rush Limbaughish... Rediculous, way off base, delivered for shock value, and rucking fetarded

Prov401
05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I made a thread about Marv a year ago.

I do believe he was overrated. That 90's team was all about Bill Polian. It would of been extremely difficult to f*** up with that Bills team. Marv had a terrible record before coming to Buffalo. And he proved with his little stint he had a few years back that he wasn't the one with an eye for talent, that's for sure.

Bill Polian is the f****** man, end of story.

EDIT: I'm in no way compraing Marv and Dick. That's just plain idiotic. Marv was, is, will ever be, a better coach than Dick. This keyboard is a better coach than Jauron.

sdbillsfan2
05-11-2010, 02:39 PM
I made a thread about Marv a year ago.

I do believe he was overrated. That 90's team was all about Bill Polian. It would of been extremely difficult to f*** up with that Bills team.
Bill Polian is the f****** man, end of story.

"THE" worst mistake Ralph ever made in all his years was letting Bill Polian get away. (JMHO)

(second worse mistake is a tie between Tom D and DJ)

better days
05-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Of course Dicks players loved playing for him. If your boss ran your workplace like a country club & did not expect you to put in any effort, you would love him too.

BillsWin
05-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Dick was a ridiculous choice of a head coach, and we should have fired him in 2008. Instead we decided to stay the course, which was a sinking ship. Now we are forced to rebuild, and although there is some young, un-tested talent on this team we still have a year or two to go. That young talent is un-tested because Jauron chose to play mediocre veterans over his rookies and second year players.

His game calling was questionable, and you could almost never count on this team to win a game no matter who they were playing. Even at times when we were playing well, the coaching staff would **** it up in the end.

We needed a change and got one. Dwelling on Jauron and making threads to get a rise from an already pissed off fanbase is laughable.

bflojohn
05-11-2010, 03:46 PM
The question does become what would DJ have done during that era with Bill Polian always pushing the right buttons, personnel wise?! IF Marv himself always said you're only as good as the players you have, then DJ was cooked the moment he was hired in Buffalo! The reverse is true for Dick, as he struggled under the burden of plugging a myriad of positional problems while trying to win in a New England dominated division. Lose-lose scenario for poor Dick Jauron. Another question is did he really play to stay close or was that simply his only means of winning ANYTHING! I am not defending or bashing him, I'm only asking what would have been his fate if he'd inherited a perennial winner like, oh say Jon Gruden or Jim Caldwell.

better days
05-11-2010, 03:54 PM
The question does become what would DJ have done during that era with Bill Polian always pushing the right buttons, personnel wise?! IF Marv himself always said you're only as good as the players you have, then DJ was cooked the moment he was hired in Buffalo! The reverse is true for Dick, as he struggled under the burden of plugging a myriad of positional problems while trying to win in a New England dominated division. Lose-lose scenario for poor Dick Jauron. Another question is did he really play to stay close or was that simply his only means of winning ANYTHING! I am not defending or bashing him, I'm only asking what would have been his fate if he'd inherited a perennial winner like, oh say Jon Gruden or Jim Caldwell.

Jauron could have a team made up of NFL HOF players. That would not improve his clock management skills or his ability to Coach in general. I think he would finish 9-7 with a HOF team.

BertSquirtgum
05-11-2010, 04:13 PM
worst thread ever

Typ0
05-11-2010, 04:23 PM
In a way, I agree with your assessment and whole premise really. But DJ took the job in the situation he was in. It was on him to adjust to the environment and he didn't. All he did was demonstrate how his best coaching years were behind him. Too bad for us. I don't think he was the awefull coach he's made out to be on these boards because he wasn't successful here. However, he needed to do more with what he had. His ultimate demise was really clear when the OC was fired the week of the opener last year. That was really telling about how things he wanted to do were going.

Jan Reimers
05-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Neither is a debilitating migraine, once it's gone.

Lone Stranger
05-11-2010, 04:38 PM
I believe you made a lot of valid points. I am not a great Levy admirer. Jauron did get a lot out of limited personell yet, in the same regard, was responsible for many of the players being here.

Most of those responding made several good points also. I think we'll have to see how the team does under the current management before we can make a more definitive judgement.

Jan Reimers
05-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't know if Jauron really had a horrible lack of talent, or if he misused or failed to develop much of the talent he had.

But I know one thing: He was one of the very worst game coaches in the history of the NFL.

Bill Cody
05-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Lose-lose scenario for poor Dick Jauron.

Pretty much any team Dick coach ended up in a lose-lose scenario. And it's not poor Dick, he made millions delivering precious few wins. How about poor us?

The thing is noone hates Jauron, he's probably a guy that would be nice to have over to a back yard barbecue I'm guessing. But the skin is still raw from the listless, deadly dull team he brought us on Sundays the last several years. About the last thing most of us want to do is picture Dick ****ing up the main period of glory the franchise has ever had. It's like thinking back to an old girlfriend from years ago with a smile and then some ******* says "remember Brenda? Wouldn't she have have looked better if you put a ring through her nose and shaved her head bald"?

justasportsfan
05-11-2010, 06:31 PM
yeah Dick is not so bad that Fewell got a DC job and Dick is a db coach. Fewell had his players playing arguably better with lesser talent than Dick did last year.

billz83
05-12-2010, 12:30 AM
u absolutely have to be one of Jauronz long lost kidz or suttin u have got to be the only person in bills nation to think he did even REMOTELY a decent job..he is literally the WORST NFL head coach in HISTORY...he has ALWAYS SUCKED..will ALWAYS suck..this team is a billion times better off with him gone..most were shocked we hired chan gailey and not a big name including me..but when u sit back and look at it..AT LEAST itz not Jauron!

Spiderweb
05-12-2010, 01:37 AM
"THE" worst mistake Ralph ever made in all his years was letting Bill Polian get away. (JMHO)

(second worse mistake is a tie between Tom D and DJ)

It was worse than letting Polian get away, Ralph fired him...

Historian
05-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm hoping the results for CG are similar to the results Marv had, because they are sort of similar in age.

By age I do not mean chronological age, I mean coaching experience.

Both have had similar HC debuts. Marv wasn't terrible in KC, he just didn't have all the tools in place, and had a GM that worked against him from day one.

Now look at Gailey. Similar circumstance. Limited success, with a roster transitioning from their Super Bowl years, dealing with JJ.

And here's one ironic twist:

Both Lamar Hunt and Jerry Jones admitted they may have pulled the trigger on each coach a little too quickly. They were pressured and jumped the gun.

That's the one thing I'm clinging to right now. I know our roster is far from stacked, and a lot of positions are in flux. (QB for one!) But I'm hoping the guy can right the ship like Marv did because:

1. He's on the same page with the GM.
2. He now has a cornerstone to build an offense around.
3. It's a second chance at redemption. He also comes with high regard.

So am I looking for a savior...or the next Marv?

No. But I'm hopeful this is the guy that can pull this team out of its decade long funk, simply because we've been there beforre, and a guy in similar circumstances succeeded at it.

Bill Cody
05-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm hoping the results for CG are similar to the results Marv had, because they are sort of similar in age.

Coaching is more important in the NFL than in any other sport. That said they don't turn water into wine. We have no QB and you simply cannot win in this league without one. Our OL has some potential but right now it is weak. We have no pass rush to speak of. Levy couldn't win with this team. Bellichick couldn't. Bill Walsh couldn't. Parcells couldn't. Knute Rockne couldn't. Shula couldn't. Knowles couldn't.

Now if you added a young Jim Kelly, a young Bruce Smith and a couple players from the mid 90's Bills OL, maybe then that would be a fair test for Gailey to compare him to Marv. We're all rooting for him. But as presently constructed this is a 5-8 win team. Even a great coach isn't worth more than 3 wins.

better days
05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Coaching is more important in the NFL than in any other sport. That said they don't turn water into wine. We have no QB and you simply cannot win in this league without one. Our OL has some potential but right now it is weak. We have no pass rush to speak of. Levy couldn't win with this team. Bellichick couldn't. Bill Walsh couldn't. Parcells couldn't. Knute Rockne couldn't. Shula couldn't. Knowles couldn't.

Now if you added a young Jim Kelly, a young Bruce Smith and a couple players from the mid 90's Bills OL, maybe then that would be a fair test for Gailey to compare him to Marv. We're all rooting for him. But as presently constructed this is a 5-8 win team. Even a great coach isn't worth more than 3 wins.

No doubt the Bills will suck this year, but hopefully they will at least be entertaining, unlike the Jauron teams where even the wins were boring.

Next year the Bills will get the next Kelly & a few other missing pieces.

Mr. Pink
05-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm wondering what everyone is gonna think of Gailey when we win around 4 games this year.

Dick, while one of the problems, wasn't the main problem.

And the main problem is worse now than it was previously...which is the talent, because of a scheme change.

Bill Cody
05-12-2010, 01:36 PM
No doubt the Bills will suck this year, but hopefully they will at least be entertaining, unlike the Jauron teams where even the wins were boring.

Next year the Bills will get the next Kelly & a few other missing pieces.

I'm with you. Dull is almost as bad as losing. Spiller will add some wow to our games. But I really would like to see us try to pry not just Gaither from the Ravens but Troy Smith as well. We all know Smith's limitations- he's short, average arm. But he is a winner and he is NOT boring. I'm telling you it would be like bringing in a young Doug Flutie. Now Flutie had his bashers but he got people to care again, no denying that. That's what I'm looking for.

Now that's the test of a great GM- find a way to get rid of your flotsam and jetsam and get something good in return- send them our third plus Lynch and Schobel for Gaithers and Smith.

better days
05-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm with you. Dull is almost as bad as losing. Spiller will add some wow to our games. But I really would like to see us try to pry not just Gaither from the Ravens but Troy Smith as well. We all know Smith's limitations- he's short, average arm. But he is a winner and he is NOT boring. I'm telling you it would be like bringing in a young Doug Flutie. Now Flutie had his bashers but he got people to care again, no denying that. That's what I'm looking for.

Now that's the test of a great GM- find a way to get rid of your flotsam and jetsam and get something good in return- send them our third plus Lynch and Schobel for Gaithers and Smith.

I'm with you on Smith, I think Chan would know how to use his talents.

justasportsfan
05-15-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm wondering what everyone is gonna think of Gailey when we win around 4 games this year.

And the main problem is worse now than it was previously...which is the talent, because of a scheme change.

Dick made the talent decisions. So DICK WAS THE MAIN PROBLEM.

Typ0
05-15-2010, 04:09 PM
I kind of disagree with this. There isn't that much separation from top to bottom in the NFL any more. It's about having the right mixture of players and the right game plan. People have to play sound football but you don't even need superstars to win.

Nighthawk
05-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Blah, blah, blah...like a broken record.

Stewie
05-15-2010, 07:34 PM
dunno who was a better coach, but marv levy's record was very mediocre until the playoff game against the browns when everyone simultaneously realized that the browns defense (and most others) couldn't stop the 2 minute offense.

And as far as ego management, wasn't that the year of the bickering bills? That ended pretty quickly tho... Funny what winning games can do

tat2dmike77
05-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Players "respected" Jauron because he ran a candy ass camp. Which is why the Bills had so many players on the IR.

To call Jauron a coach is laughable itself. Even as a DC he is over rated. How awesome was the Bills D when he was here? Yeah when Gregg Williams was here the Bills couldn't score more than 10 pts a game but the defense was nasty. I mean how do you go 3-13 and have a top 5 defense? Jauron was supposed to be a defensive guru instead he looked like a tard.

I'm not saying Gregg is the man but if Jauron was not that bad he would of atleast brought a top 10 defense along with him.

BertSquirtgum
05-15-2010, 10:47 PM
if i was to compare jauron's tenure here to a high school pupil. i would say that the tenure would be equivalent to the slowest kid in the special ed class a.k.a. the romper room.

Dying_-2-_Live
05-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Jauron's a good guy who gave it a good effort... He just wasnt the coach this team needed

better days
05-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Jauron's a good guy who was in OVER HIS HEAD... He just wasnt the coach this team needed

Fixed it for you.