PDA

View Full Version : Boston fans don't react well to losing

RockStar36
05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Just a little part of the following article...

From what I hear, it was not shown on TV that Bruins fans were throwing rally towels and beer cups on the ice. It happened on several occasions, including during the final two scrums of the third period and DURING PLAY. If it wasn't shown on TV, the proof is below. (http://mobilwi.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6dde087970b013480aaa9ab970c-800wi) It was pretty classless in my opinion, and I'm sure this would have been all over TV if the game was in Philadelphia and fans threw [stuff]. Rask left the ice pretty fast at the conclusion of the game, probably because he was angry and BECAUSE HE WAS GETTING STUFF THROWN AT HIM BY HIS OWN FANS IN A SERIES WHERE THE BRUINS ARE STILL UP A GAME.

Unless I'm mistaken, this isn't the first time something like this has happened this year, right?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Throwing-condoms-at-Flyers-fans-is-new-playoff-t?urn=nhl,240255

DMBcrew36
05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Maybe Boston thought they should've been handed the Cup last week

The King
05-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Just a little part of the following article...

Unless I'm mistaken, this isn't the first time something like this has happened this year, right?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Throwing-condoms-at-Flyers-fans-is-new-playoff-t?urn=nhl,240255

I hate when one or two fans have to represent the entire fanbase. The Bruins got booed pretty heavily in FEB-MAR but I havent seen to many instances of the fans throwing stuff.

As for throwing condoms... it was one fan who threw one condom... this IMO is significantly better than the numerous stories I have read about fights and hospital visits regarding visiting fans seems like almost once a year at the Ralph and Giants Stadium.

RockStar36
05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I hate when one or two fans have to represent the entire fanbase. The Bruins got booed pretty heavily in FEB-MAR but I havent seen to many instances of the fans throwing stuff.

As for throwing condoms... it was one fan who threw one condom... this IMO is significantly better than the numerous stories I have read about fights and hospital visits regarding visiting fans seems like almost once a year at the Ralph and Giants Stadium.

I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

A Phillies fan pukes on a little girl a week or so ago and it was big news because of the lack of class from Philly fans, yet it was one person out of how many thousand?

The thing I got from the article was just how bi-polar Boston fans are.

I also read over the weekend about everyone walking out of Cavs/Celts during game 3 and then selling their game 4 tickets. Awful quick to hop off the wagon it seems.

OpIv37
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM

A Phillies fan pukes on a little girl a week or so ago and it was big news because of the lack of class from Philly fans, yet it was one person out of how many thousand?

I also read over the weekend about everyone walking out of Cavs/Celts during game 3 and then selling their game 4 tickets. Awful quick to hop off the wagon it seems.

Really? Bandwagon Boston fans? Who would've thought?

Boston fans stand by the Red Sox no matter what. When it comes to the Bruins, Patriots and Celtics, they stand by a winner and jump off the bandwagon like nobody's business.

The King
05-11-2010, 12:45 PM

It's playoff time... the bandwagons are chuck full.

The King
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
As for the fans, as one Twitterer put it last night, "Pink Bear Nation." Maybe there's something to that. After all, what better time for peripheral fans to show up than a possible clincha in order to say they were there?

Nighthawk
05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm a Celtic fan, but Boston is the one of the biggest bandwagon cities when it comes to their sports teams.

RockStar36
05-11-2010, 12:59 PM
As for the fans, as one Twitterer put it last night, "Pink Bear Nation." Maybe there's something to that. After all, what better time for peripheral fans to show up than a possible clincha in order to say they were there?

I read that somewhere else today, but I still don't get it. What am I missing?

OpIv37
05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I read that somewhere else today, but I still don't get it. What am I missing?

I met a Boston fan in a bar during the Bruins/Sabres series who referred to the bandwagon Caps fans as "pink hats." It's a reference to bandwagon jumpers who haven't been following the team for very long. At first I thought the reference was to the Caps' colors, since pink is a lighter version of red. But if they're using it for bandwagon Bruins fans too, then it probably originated from the "pinkos." It's a Cold War term for people who weren't full fledged Communist, but were leftists and were sympathetic to some of their views.

RockStar36
05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I met a Boston fan in a bar during the Bruins/Sabres series who referred to the bandwagon Caps fans as "pink hats." It's a reference to bandwagon jumpers who haven't been following the team for very long. At first I thought the reference was to the Caps' colors, since pink is a lighter version of red. But if they're using it for bandwagon Bruins fans too, then it probably originated from the "pinkos." It's a Cold War term for people who weren't full fledged Communist, but were leftists and were sympathetic to some of their views.

I never would've figured that out.

Maybe I need to adopt that term. I'm getting tired of saying bandwagon.

The King
05-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Pink Hats I believe originated in Boston with Sox fans.

RockStar36
05-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Pink Hats I believe originated in Boston with Sox fans.

I thought about that possibility too, but wouldn't that be targeting the female fans? I don't think I've seen a male wear a pink hat before.

BlackMetalNinja
05-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I thought about that possibility too, but wouldn't that be targeting the female fans? I don't think I've seen a male wear a pink hat before.You must have forgot the picture I posted a while back in Bedard's "how do I imagine Zoners" thread for a certain somebody.... I'll go ahead and dig it back up again!

BlackMetalNinja
05-11-2010, 02:14 PM
http://frankthetank.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/boston-red-sox-fan-pink-hat.jpg

G Wolly
05-11-2010, 02:34 PM
What..Is...that?

Is this another guess the tranny thread?

The King
05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I thought about that possibility too, but wouldn't that be targeting the female fans? I don't think I've seen a male wear a pink hat before.It certainly started there. Men dont wear the pink stuff, but the hundreds of hat variations do apply.

The King
05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
The Green uniforms are just as gay IMO.

trapezeus
05-11-2010, 02:55 PM
pink hats refers to all the college aged "fans" that showed up after the world series and all of sudden was a die hard baseball fan when just 2 years earlier boston guys were getting a hard time from their ladies for wanting to attend games.

that's how it was described to me by a close friend who is a boston native.

trapezeus
05-11-2010, 03:09 PM
also worth stating is my thesis is that Boston fans would be just like philly fans if they could hold their alcohol.

Boston is filled with college kids who can't drink and can't hold their liquor. They'd get in twice the trouble but pass out before they hit the philly level.

Even though philly is despicable and worthless, kudos to them being douchebags and fighting through the inebriatation.

The King
05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Pink Hats mostly applies to the Red Sox, in the early 2000's tickets to sox games were about 30-60 and easy to come by. In 2004 tickets doubled and tripled in price because the team was doing well and all of a sudden a contender, since 2004 it got worse and worse every season.

A pink hat is someone who can tell you that David Ortiz is the best ever to wear a Sox uniform and that the Yankees suck. When you ask them to name the catcher not named Varitek they crash and burn.

When the Celts picked up steam this same thing applied, I know KG, Pierce and Ray Ray, but who's the big goofy white dude, and I have no idea who Rick Pitino is.

I don't think it applies to the college community as much as it applies to women and loud mouth transplants... people who just moved to Boston, or people who have left Boston.

JD
05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
We have a few pink hated Bruins fans in these parts..

DMBcrew36
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Really? Bandwagon Boston fans? Who would've thought?

Boston fans stand by the Red Sox no matter what. When it comes to the Bruins, Patriots and Celtics, they stand by a winner and jump off the bandwagon like nobody's business.

EXACTLY.

Bruins had half full attendance until last year
Patriots were on the verge of leaving due to extremely small attendance before Parcells came.

It is and has been one of top, if not the #1, biggest bandwagon cities in America.

Novacane
05-15-2010, 04:46 PM

woodwork

trapezeus
05-19-2010, 11:35 AM
boston fans don't respond to winning well either.